Faces Mears Park
373 Sibly Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55101Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Faces Mears Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.facesmearspark.com/
- Phone: (651) 209-7776
- Hours of Operation:
Deli-10am-2pm Monday thru Friday
Restaurant-Monday thru Thursday 11am-11
Saturday 2pm - 2am*
Sunday 2pm - 11pm
*Full Menu until 10pm
*Happy Hour Sunday thru Thurs 3-6pm & 8pm-10pm
Friday and Saturday 3-6 & 10pm t 12 midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Global, International, French
- Executive Chef: David Fhima
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: On-Site event planner and off-site catering available. Large or small!
Full Service Bakery; cupcakes, wedding cakes, birthday celebrations!
- Entertainment: Daily Lunch Specials
Evening Dinner specials
Happy Hour Specials
Sunday Wood Oven Pizza Specials
Date night specials Monday
Fri/Sat DJ music!
- Special Events: You provide the occasion, we will do the rest! Choose from two versatile private spaces or our exclusive Wine Room. Atrium: Surrounded by windows and 10-story-high ceilings, the atrium features a customizable floor plan that can accommodate reception-style events for 250 or seated occasion for 150.
Set with a private wine and espresso bar catering exclusively to your group, Faces mears park’s lounge is perfect for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres for up to 75 guests.
A Chef’s Table is a celebration of food, wine and friends. Typically, this event occurs in the kitchen, but we have created an occasion to be enjoyed in the intimate setting of our wine room. You and your guests will be entertained with a specially-crafted, multi-course menu from our inspired Executive Chef David Fhima. Each course will be paired with a wine that compliments the unique flavors of each dish. Please inquire for pricing and availability.
A word from Faces Mears Park
Whether dining in or picking up a rotisserie chicken, baguette and bottle of wine to go, our guests enjoy an array of options made with the best local ingredients and without additives, preservatives or processing. FACES mears park has an extensive wine list featuring organic, biodynamic and sustainably farmed options. When weather permits, guests can be seated on our patio and enjoy scenic views of Mears Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Faces Mears Park - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Faces Mears Park reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (27)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (23)scenic view (17)notable wine list (13)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Deliciously sustainableJazzigDined on 11/22/2014This was my first visit to Faces, and I hadn't really done any research before choosing the restaurant. What a treat! The food is all local (except for seafood, which is hook/line caught) and sustainably produced, the flavors are wonderful, and the portions are very reasonable. Our server, Jerome, was attentive and friendly, and the view of Mears Park was lovely. I enjoyed the background music, which is unusual--it was interesting and not too loud. I did notice 2 TVs in the bar area, but they were off, thankfully. The atmosphere at Faces was very relaxing, which added to the whole experience. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Glad We Tried Fhima'saglasshalffullDined on 11/15/2014The contemporary ambience of Faces complimented and contrasted with the more traditional feel of Mears Park across the street. I loved looking out the glass wall of windows to see the oversized street lights that, with the light snowfall, created the look of a beautifully lit perspective street painting. Inside, our server was very attentive and answered my many questions about the menu and she made great suggestions. For an appetizer, we tried the Chicken Satay which looked great and tasted wonderful. It was tenderly cooked and had just a bit of spicy heat to each bite that helped bring a warmth to counter the cold outside. My husband had the Sea Bass in Risotto which he seemed to really enjoy and he said was very good. I had the Filet Mignon. I hesitated to order a steak because, so often, the steak can be tough and overdone. My server assured me that their "locally grown beef' would be well prepared and tender. The filet was served nestled atop organic asparagus spears with a bearnaise sauce. The filet was incredibly melt in your mouth tender! The asparagus was full of flavor and cooked just right. The sauce was a bonus that complimented the entire entree. For dessert, we had the Galette des Roi, a light and flakey pastry topped with caramel sauce and ice cream. It was the perfect size for two of us and it was delightful. After our wonderful meal, I got to meat the chef, David Fhima. I was happy to be able to compliment him on our meal. He was appreciative and, I thought, rather humble, saying, "Thank-you! That is our job. We are happy you enjoyed it."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/11/2014Everyone in our party selected a different entrée to get a real sense of the restaurant. Without fail, they were all poor. The french fries "appetizer" was cold. Steak was overcooked, risotto with the sea bass was more like a chowder, beef in the daily special was tough, the special risotto lacked flavor. We decided to share one dessert (flourless chocolate cake). The taste was so bad that no one took more than their one exploratory bite. Staff seemed inexperienced. Entrees came out one at a time. Struggled getting an accurate tab.
- A lovely evening overallBRL14Dined on 11/8/2014Spent a Saturday evening in November at Faces, and was happy to have done so. My date and I both had tangine dishes, and we were not disappointed. I would say that the chicken tangine was the best, but the lamb was excellent as well. The chef came out into the restaurant several times in the evening to visit with guests and answer questions. The service was friendly and the ambiance was quiet- perfect for a date night in downtown St. Paul. I will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner in MSP this tripAllenVIPDined on 11/7/2014A friend recently moved to St Paul from Denver and working some long hours, had not explored the eateries near her downtown apartment. During our 4 day visit with her, we tried as many restaurants in the area as we could. Faces was absolutely the best. We each had a different "tangine" dish and all were wonderful but the Spicy Seafood Tangine was the most flavorful with just the right amount of heat. I was dissapointed that the bacon wrapped scallops were no longer on the menu, but chef David said to let him know next time and he would prepare them for me. My wife even ask for (and received) the recipe for the tapenade that came with the bread. We will definitely return on our next trip to the Twin Cities.Special Features:
- Faces Mears ParkMooeycakeDined on 11/2/2014It was extremely cold at our corner table by the glass wall. We kept our coats on the entire night. The sea bass was excellent, and the steak was good, but overpriced. Jerome, our server, was very busy, but did a fine job.Special Features:
- CdubsVIPDined on 10/17/2014My friend and I sat at the bar and ordered drinks and food. We had a Bloody Mary's and then a couple of local craft brew tap beers. We then ordered the burger. I consider myself a bit of a burger afficianado and I must say this was one of the best burgers I've ever had. Faces Mears Park may not be know as a place to go have a burger, but after eating this one, I would say they should be.Special Features:
- Excellent!plggVIPDined on 9/22/2014Food was fantastic, server was knowledgeable and friendly, and the atmosphere was comfortable. Would recommend, and have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FacesicarryDined on 9/20/2014great food and excellent service. Had the spicy seafood and also the lamb...outstanding!Special Features:
- Romantic Anniversary DinnergrannyfoodieDined on 9/7/2014From bread with delicious garlicky tapenade to amazing desserts, this was perfect. The seafood tagine and the lamb tagine were delectable - we mopped the platter clean with artisan bread. Unique appetizer of oranges and shrimp in a glaze. Outdoor seating, sipping the pinot grigio, watching a wedding couple shoot photos on "our" same wedding date. Thomas was a charming and attentive server. Our high compliments to the chef for creating this unique experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine, desserts, romance.DJM2Dined on 8/30/2014David Fhima has created a very romantic restaurant with a fabulous menu and one of the best wine lists in the city. It is a great place to a great meal with a glass of wine and a selection of terrific desserts.Special Features:
- The following 515 reviews are from the Faces Mears Park reviews archive.
- Great Food & Even Better ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014Celebrated our anniversary, food and service fantastic. Thank you!Special Features:
- gb5510Dined on 7/12/2014Always enjoy Faces. It's a beautiful location all year long and lovely inside. The food is delicious and it always feels nice to be there.Special Features:
- Third Time's a BustStaggerDined on 7/10/2014On our third visit, Faces disappointed us profoundly. There didn't' seem to be anyone in charge - there was no one manning the host/hostess station and we saw no one in a managerial capacity the whole evening. Our waiter was so slow and distracted that the waiter at the next table took it upon himself to step in and serve us. When waiter #1 brought our plates and food he had his fingers all over the plates. it was extremely aggravating to have to negotiate one's way through dinner, as in, "Can we please have that wine that we ordered 10 minutes ago?" and "Excuse me, I ordered this filet medium and it is raw in the middle. Can you cook it some more?" This was our wedding anniversary dinner. In retrospect, it was a poor choice.
- Wonderful foodKristinDined on 6/28/2014I found this place on a Living Social. The food is unbelievably flavorable. We had two tagines. Chicken with figs and a very sultry cinnamon flavoring. Seafood tagine was a red spicy sauce with some kick and fantastic flavor. Highly recommend this food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014The food was outstanding. The server was excellent and made two very good recommendations and was very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list.Special Features:
- DEKEDined on 6/21/2014The food at Faces was great! Would definitely come back! But, why should I continue to book my reservations through Open table? You never give me any points on my reservations!Special Features:
- Excellent!!!GoaleveDined on 6/17/2014Great dining experience from start to finish, would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Lowertown DestinationJayLearyVIPDined on 6/9/2014With a great view of Mears Park, the location alone makes this worth trying. But with some of the most engaging staff in the area, interesting decor and a spicy Moroccan-influenced menu, it is much more than just a cool setting. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Very disappointed!!SWidenVIPDined on 6/6/2014This place was very disappointing. We made reservations and no nots to seat us so they placed in the bar which wasn't what we were looking for. Meals were wrong, manager did nothing to help and then the bill was wrong. Overall not impressed... Avoid there are plenty of other great places to go to in St. Paul for dinner.Special Features:
- Food Yay. Repairs needed. noDanceFoodYayDined on 6/6/2014The food was terrific. The restaurant bathroom and chairs in Bar/lounge are need repairs. Also, per website, Salsa dancing in this establishment. But the server said they were looking for a band so no entertainment is planned. Shouldn't the website be updated to say Salsa dancing suspended at this time?Special Features:
- New Tastes, great eveningHungritoVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a voucher for a Moroccan Dinner, and enjoyed every bite! The starter was out of this world--the plumpest, freshest prawns I have ever tasted, and a preparation that "opened the palate" as the chef advised, tableside. The tangines were absolutely spectacular. The colors, scents, textures and flavors were unexpectedly unique. I will add that the chef told us that the ingredients are locally sourced, and based on the density and freshness of the multi-colored cauliflower, I must concur that these were the freshest ingredients available in the upper mid-west. The desserts are patisserie quality, and the coffee is outstanding. Did I mention we dined al fresco, overlooking Mears Park? Where am I...?Special Features:
- Finally, a restaurant that gets it!8itGudDined on 6/2/2014Faces Mears Park is 100% local, 100% non-GMO, and 98% organic, and they make their own food-based food coloring when needed for the menu and bakery items. And if that's not enough, the food AND bakery are awesome. The bar is very good (including their own infusion of lemon-rosemary vodka that's limoncello-esque), but we were there on a Monday so couldn't tell if there's really a vibrant bar scene there on weekends. There should be, in my opinion... the setup and ambiance supports it well. We got a private visit from the chef just to check in with us, and other tables did as well. He really cares about the food and the people, which is exceedingly rare these days. This was a great find on a Monday night. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood specialsBadgerMomDined on 5/25/2014I had a fried soft shell crab sandwich. It was amazing! Just like being back on the eastern shore of VA! Light crispy batter and a huge portion. The server said they had received the crab two days before and it did taste fresh. We also split a piece of coconut cake--good call since the piece was huge. Coconut was light and flaky and cake was delicious. Not too much frosting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unimpressed, poor service, loudtheman1Dined on 5/23/2014Arrived at 9:45pm. No host. Had to signal the bartender to be seated. Got the impression she was annoyed I was there. Our server (who I will leave unnamed) came to our table 2 times to drop off water and light the candles before he ever introduced himself or said welcome to faces. Got the impression we shouldn't be dining this late by asking questions like "what brings you out so late for dinner." He was inappropriate and informal and made comments such as "wow you must have a rich husband to attend school where you did." Awkward. Seated next to bar, horribly loud. The bar patrons were making fog horn noises intermittently which was really a nice touch to the ambience. App was a letdown. Only 1 scallop. Tagines were unique and good.Special Features:
- Great Graduation DinnerWinners729Dined on 5/23/2014Amazing food and really great atmosphere. The service was less-than-professional at times but our server was attentive, available and knowledgeable (just lacked a bit of refinement is all). The reservation was at 830 and some party was there so it was really loud but nothing that ruined the evening. Fantastic drink list, and, again, INCREDIBLE food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedduster47Dined on 5/11/2014We noted in the reservation that there would be 5 of us and that we would need a highchair. When we arrived we were told there were no highchairs available. They only had 5 for the entire restaurant and we were told "there are a lot of kids today". Of course there will be a lot of kids it was Mother's Day! After waiting at least 10 minutes for a server we were finally greeted. One thing that drew us to this brunch was the option to get eggs cooked "to your liking". Our server informed us that we could have eggs done in only 3 ways, when questioned he told us doing eggs to order was too hard for the kitchen. The food on the buffet was uninspired and lacked flavor. The dessert table was good but not amazing. Truly disappointed.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014We had a reservation for mothers day brunch. It all looked really nice. The buffet was not so good. I was expecting much better. The prime rib was cold. The plates were the only thing hot. I had included a high chair in the reservation but there were non available for us. The bathroom had issues too. The toilets did not flush automatically and the sink was leaking and the floor was very wet. Very disappointed and cost way too much.
- Mother's Day BrunchhoneyhoneyDined on 5/11/2014I usually find brunch buffet's anywhere to be completely boring and uninspired. But Faces was a pleasant surprise! Prime rib, salmon, french toast, bacon, sausage, salad, etc and tiny bite sized desserts were all amazing. Our waiter was prompt and friendly. The only negative was the chaos at the hostess stand. The hostess didn't seem to know which end was up and many people had been waiting for quite some time despite many empty tables. Other than that, a nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over PricedSuziDined on 5/11/2014The brunch was extremely over priced for what was offered. The options on the buffet were scarce and not worth the price. Our server was not knowledgeable about the buffet or other buffet options that came straight from the kitchen.Special Features:
- Quiet pre Ordway meeting placeMarkBDined on 5/10/2014My party of 4 saw TU Dance at Ordway. I wanted a quiet place to eat and show off Lowertown. I choose Faces because the food is good, the noise level is very low. it is Skyway accessible from Faces to the St Paul Hotel, near Ordway, as rain was imminent. I wanted to avoid exposure as much as possible. I sat in the Banquette section so my guests could look into Mears Park as they ate. My own date ate a salad and I sandwich and and tea and our bill was moderate for the experience and park view ambience at $32. We seated at 6:00 and told the server we had to be at the Ordway at 7:30. We ate and had a brisk walk to the Ordway just getting seated at 7:25. For Faces for pre Ordway events, seat at 5:30 to have a leisurely 15 walk to Ordway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLikefoodDined on 5/7/2014Wonderful service and good. Great experience. We were seated by the window that looks over the park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great anniversary dinnerTHandLHDined on 4/29/2014My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at Faces Mears Park. The food was wonderful and the staff was very friendly and attentive. My wife had Sweet Peas and Chilean Sea bass Saffron Risotto, and I had the Steak Au Poivre, both meals were wonderful.Special Features:
- ehhhSPAZVIPDined on 4/26/2014I read that it was affordable, but I would call it pricey and the food was good but not great. I probably wouldn't go back again.
- Great!foodieDined on 4/26/2014I chose this place on a whim as we planned a night out but didn't make solid reservations too far in advance. They happened to have a reservation available during the time frame I was looking for. It was a great choice. The food was amazing!Special Features:
- Leisurely DinnerSaintPaulGirlDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I had dinner at FACES before an SPCO concert last weekend. In additon to having great food and terrific service, we were not rushed in any way to get "in and out". We had given ourselves lots of time to have a relaxed dinner and we were so unrushed, we barely made it to the concert on time! Can't wait to return as we always enjoy FACES!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marge313Dined on 4/25/2014Great little gem in Mears Park area of Downtown St. Paul. Bistro-style food with an eclectic flare. I really enjoyed the food and wine.Special Features:
- World-Class Gem in St. PaulRubyDined on 4/23/2014Every time I eat here, I wonder why I don't come more often. The sad answer is I live in the SW 'burbs, so it's a bit of a trip to downtown St. Paul, but really it's not that far and it's well worth it to enjoy beautifully executed European cuisine (including incredible baked goods and desserts) plus exotic flavors with a Moroccan influence. Where else can you get an incredible steak frites that's right out of a Parisian bistro OR a tagine bursting with enticing aromas and perfectly stewed ingredients? And chef David is always around, coming to check on your dinner, answer questions, help you select a great wine..lovely setting with a great view of the park thru a wall of glass. Patio in the summer, underground parking for colder weather.Special Features:
- Fantastic Easter BrunchBarbaraDined on 4/20/2014We were a party of 8 (+twin babies) at Faces for Easter brunch. It was our first time for all of us. We made the reservations at 1:45 because of the babies and not wanting to disturb a busy brunch time. The restaurant was so accommodating and put us at a table with plenty of room for a large stroller. It was a perfect setting with the foyer area in case a baby got fussy. The food was fantastic, including the special order omelets and french toast. The staff was also wonderful, giving us all the attention we needed, and did not rush us at all. This restaurant created a wonderful atmosphere and a very memorable Easter buffet. I appreciated the call from Open Table confirming the reservation. Excellent experience & definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Feastout2lunchguyDined on 4/20/2014This is the second time that we have had Easter Sunday Brunch at Faces and it is absolutely lovely. The food is all wonderfully prepared, beautifully served and the restaurant personnel are all exceptional and ready to make your dining experience that absolute best possible! Thank you and well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.