558 Castro Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fablesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 590-2404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jon Hearnsberger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from Fable
A fun and causal neighborhood restaurant serving modern American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fable reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)fit for foodies (62)great for outdoor dining (60)romantic (38)special occasion (38)great for brunch (30)hot spot (16)notable wine list (16)good for groups (16)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Always awesomeCastroWineSnobVIPDined on 11/21/2014Friendly but low-key. Delicious without being precious. These guys are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvSFlifeDined on 11/7/2014Fable was terrific! We were seated on the patio and had Matt as a server. Everything was great from the food to the ambience and service. Highly recommend the pork chop- absolutely delicious. The wine list was good and the prices fair. The restaurant was very accommodating on our reservation time. We were a group of 5 and running late. Eric graciously allowed us to arrive late and experience a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A yummy nightsneeperDined on 11/2/2014We took my husband here for his 40th birthday. We had a group of 12 in the patio out back. They turned up or down the various heat lamps to make sure we were comfortable. The service and the food were excellent. I look forward to many return visits.Special Features:
- Consistently greatChipVIPDined on 11/1/2014Fable continues to be THE place for the Castro/ The only "criticism" is they should make their BEETloaf a permanent menu item. AWESOME!Special Features:
- Exquisite dining experience.ElizaDined on 11/1/2014This was one of the best meals I have ever had. I had rabbit prepared two ways, Brussels sprouts and German chocolate cake. Food arrived at the right temperature. I was very cold when I arrived, and we were seated outside. The overhead heater was turned up, and soon we were all warm and cozy. When we got too warm, our server turned the heat down . The service was wonderful, with good food and wine recommendations; service was prompt, but we were never rushed. The back patio is very pretty at night . We loved the bright orange fountain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the worst service I've hadSarahBVIPDined on 11/1/2014We brought a group of out-of-town guests to Fable for brunch. I'm embarrassed for them to think this represents SF restaurant service. Our server was completely unfriendly, scolded one of our guests for trying to fill her own coffee since our server hasn't come by for 20 mins. I spent the entire meal waiting for the side I'd ordered. They brought it at the very end when they were clearing everyone else's plates, with no apology or offer for it to be complimentary. When we tried to pay, it took a total of 30 mins or more from the time the bill came to when we finally had settled up. If you can't split the bill for groups, just say that upfront! When I approached our server to let him know we were needing to leave soon, he snapped at me.Special Features:
- This is my favorite restaurant.MichaelHDined on 10/22/2014I have been there a few times with my friend. We have enjoyed sitting at the counter. I brought my husband there for a birthday dinner and we set out outside in the garden. Perfect! The food is amazing. And the chef always does something a little different.Special Features:
- BobGVIPDined on 10/14/2014This is a treasure in the Castro. We need more places like Fable to build out the restaurant scene on Castro Street. Fable has done a great job of making a small space GREAT! Can't wait till you can have your wine on the patio past 9pm! :)Special Features:
- Hidden spot in CastroSearch4uniqueDined on 10/9/2014Beautiful hidden spot in busy Castro. Great outdoor dining. Attentive staff, creative food.Special Features:
- AMAZINGnicknameVIPDined on 10/4/2014Oh My God - we were in town for a quick weekend and wanted some place special. Well we got it. The menu is amazing, the staff is awesome. I am so happy we got in here! If you live in SF and aren't going there is something wrong with you and if you are visiting you have to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary JewelMidwestMikeVIPDined on 9/28/2014Small neighborhood restaurant with good ambiance, very friendly service, and truly excellent food. The chicken is not to be missed...it's hard to make chicken interesting and they perfected it. Great to dine at if you are traveling alone as I was (on a business trip). Felt like I wasn't out of town. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant gem in CastrojaheglerDined on 9/27/2014Wonderfully creative food. Open view, Kitchen. John the chef is excellent as well as the sous chef and all line cooks. Service is great and very friendlySpecial Features:
- Casual Casto Lunch AlfrescojonvillDined on 9/27/2014I had lunch at Fable this weekend and I enjoyed the experience. I had the Jalapeno chicken sandwich that was delicious! The outdoor patio space is shared with an amazing garden area that makes this restaurant a very enjoyable alfresco option in the Castro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining!!Table24Dined on 9/25/2014Great food, changing menu, great with friends or eat at the bar! Glad The Castro has another great restaurant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, great, great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014Great food, great service, great place. Would highly recommend for a romantic night out to a group get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time still loving it!LeoinSFVIPDined on 9/20/2014The scallop and papardelle pasta dish was out of this world! There was a great wine selection too. We really appreciate the chef's talents here. A wonderful evening all around!Special Features:
- Best pork chop of my lifehungryhippoDined on 9/19/2014I'm not kidding. Cooked perfectly. Perfect seasoning. Amaze-balls. All the other food we had was just as good. But damn that pork chop. So good!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch SundayRobertDined on 9/14/2014Bottomless Mimosa and a lovely outdoor Patio make this a great hit!Special Features:
- Fine for neighborhood spotcftylerVIPDined on 9/9/2014Very Good but not outstanding food, in my opinion. We had a early dinner-- so the place was delightfully quiet. Very nice service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!comeagainDined on 9/7/2014I'd been once before, but I had a much better experience this time aroudn. Great service, very inventive and delicious food a la Alice Waters. A little pricey but, for my dollars, worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotAcme2Dined on 9/6/2014We had tomatoes and corns salad , we had the scallops and also the steak both was so deliciousSpecial Features:
- Fablerobdude96Dined on 9/3/2014Was referred by friends for a date night and were very happy to be here. Service was grand and food was right on target. Enjoyed the open kitchen and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencegvirgiliDined on 8/31/2014This was my first time at Fable. The service was awesome. Great waiter and staff that were attentive but never hovering or intrusive. The food was delicious and surprising. My entree had beets in it and I loathe beets, but I was convinced by the waiter that I would enjoy the dish and I did. I would order it again. The beets were there for color and more of a "spice" that added a hint of flavor to enhance the scallops. The desserts... well, I didn't think I had room for dessert but somehow it was devoured. The other patrons were friendly and we struck up a conversation with the couple next to us. It was a fantastic night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service long wait with RezJethroVIPDined on 8/30/2014I had made reservations for 6 and still had a 30 minute wait to be seated The service was super slow but accurate and friendly. I don't know what happened but it was apparent that they were understaffed for the night.Special Features:
- Great gem in the castroOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2014Good vibe here food is well prepared and sourced Chef owner , nice staff GoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and ReliableKareLVIPDined on 8/26/2014We have eaten here many times, and the food is always very tasty. I was going to write comfort food, but it is more elegant and interesting than that, so maybe artistic comfort food is a better description. Service is friendly and wines are good. This time we dined on the patio, very nice and more quite than the main restaurant. The gas heaters kept us warm and it felt like being in a private garden. Great addition to an already fab restaurant.Special Features:
- A story in waking life...tremainpjDined on 8/24/2014The chef puts up some interesting combinations for both taste and texture. The rabbit two ways was simply amazing. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- Fabulous Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2014We had a very successful brunch here the other week. Service was good and very friendly. The food was imaginative tasty. Plus, the new outdoor patio is gorgeous - fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEIGHBORHOOD GEMneighborhoodjemDined on 8/23/2014Delicious food, unusual entrees, rabbit for example. good wine. No spectaculaaar views but a friendly ambiance. Service was good. Noise was moderate. possible to have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- Sweet spot on CastroWhynotDined on 8/15/2014Had a lovely dinner with family at Fable. Really enjoyed the garden seating, which was good because I found the dark interior depressing. The food was excellent and imaginative. Extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally!RRRBBMVIPDined on 8/10/2014A terrific restaurant in the Castro! Superb food, great service and stylish design. I'd go back just for the pork cheek appetizer.Special Features:
- TurkishTomDined on 8/10/2014I have enjoyed both dinner & brunch at Fable. Great menu too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm going back.hansDined on 8/9/2014Love, love, love Fable! Great people. Great food. This restaurant is the only best option for brunch in the Castro.Special Features:
- One of the best in the CastrosffoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food at Fable is excellent and beautifully presented. Portions are generous and the staff is very friendly. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Another Fabulous MealvgsanfranVIPDined on 8/7/2014We just love Fable. It's a great addition to the Castro given we are in dire need of better places to eat. Fable is always fresh, seasonal and I love how they make an effort to use locally grown ingredients. Service was great and the dessert was off the hook! We had the mixed melon salad which was delicious, followed by Albacore Tuna and the special entre of the day which was substituted with Tuna and amazing. The spicy chocolate habanero lava cake was absolutely to die for. Great meal which made for a great and memorable night with friends! Thank you Fable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best blind date for your mouth.Operator7GDined on 8/3/2014Menu changes frequently based upon seasonal ingredients and their attempt to keep things interesting so try not to get too attached to some menu items. Still, I think it's safe to bet that you'll have an excellent meal. Wine pairing suggestions are also on the menu. I live in Los Angeles and would make it a point to have a meal when I visit San Francisco again! Our server was very mellow and knowledgeable plus we got to chat with one of the owners who was very friendly and glad to talk with us about our experience.Special Features:
- So-so brunchAPanini2511VIPDined on 8/3/2014Fair food, limited bar menu (consisted of pre-mixed Bloody Mary's, Mimosas and two types of sparkling wine) since they have no bartender), and fairly slow service. Pretty pricey drinks and food considering what they offer.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014We went for lunch after seeing a film at the Castro. Food was delicious, service excellent, even though it was 2:00. My one wish would be that there had been more "lunch" items on the "brunch" menu. That said, my French toast was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 141 reviews are from the Fable reviews archive.
- Love it! But...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2014Great restaurant, but WAY overpriced for the area.
- Not your typical fresh, local ...NeimhVIPDined on 7/26/2014While many restaurants do "farm to table", local, etc. - and often do it well. Fable ups the ante with a unique flavor palate that truly differentiates it. I started with a mixed melon salad with a spicy, smoked paprika vinaigrette. It was light, with just a touch of spice that sort of tickled the back of your throat. My husband had the Dijon Crusted Braised Pork Cheeks with kale, apple, crispy shallots and cider vinaigrette. He felt the apple, along with the cider vinaigrette added a perfect sweet-tart punch to the rich pork cheeks. Our mains were great too. His steak was exactly to order- and I had the buttermilk fried rabbit in a gumbo stew that was tender and juicy on the inside with a perfectly crispy coating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.