558 Castro Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://fablesf.com/
- Phone: 4155902404x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jon Hearnsberger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine
A word from Fable
A fun and causal neighborhood restaurant serving modern American cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fable reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)fit for foodies (57)great for outdoor dining (50)romantic (28)special occasion (28)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (13)hot spot (9)good for groups (9)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Brunch SundayRobertDined on 9/14/2014Bottomless Mimosa and a lovely outdoor Patio make this a great hit!Special Features:
- Fine for neighborhood spotcftylerVIPDined on 9/9/2014Very Good but not outstanding food, in my opinion. We had a early dinner-- so the place was delightfully quiet. Very nice service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotAcme2Dined on 9/6/2014We had tomatoes and corns salad , we had the scallops and also the steak both was so deliciousSpecial Features:
- Great ExperiencegvirgiliDined on 8/31/2014This was my first time at Fable. The service was awesome. Great waiter and staff that were attentive but never hovering or intrusive. The food was delicious and surprising. My entree had beets in it and I loathe beets, but I was convinced by the waiter that I would enjoy the dish and I did. I would order it again. The beets were there for color and more of a "spice" that added a hint of flavor to enhance the scallops. The desserts... well, I didn't think I had room for dessert but somehow it was devoured. The other patrons were friendly and we struck up a conversation with the couple next to us. It was a fantastic night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service long wait with RezJethroVIPDined on 8/30/2014I had made reservations for 6 and still had a 30 minute wait to be seated The service was super slow but accurate and friendly. I don't know what happened but it was apparent that they were understaffed for the night.Special Features:
- Great gem in the castroOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/30/2014Good vibe here food is well prepared and sourced Chef owner , nice staff GoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and ReliableKareLDined on 8/26/2014We have eaten here many times, and the food is always very tasty. I was going to write comfort food, but it is more elegant and interesting than that, so maybe artistic comfort food is a better description. Service is friendly and wines are good. This time we dined on the patio, very nice and more quite than the main restaurant. The gas heaters kept us warm and it felt like being in a private garden. Great addition to an already fab restaurant.Special Features:
- A story in waking life...tremainpjDined on 8/24/2014The chef puts up some interesting combinations for both taste and texture. The rabbit two ways was simply amazing. Great restaurant!Special Features:
- Fabulous Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/24/2014We had a very successful brunch here the other week. Service was good and very friendly. The food was imaginative tasty. Plus, the new outdoor patio is gorgeous - fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEIGHBORHOOD GEMneighborhoodjemDined on 8/23/2014Delicious food, unusual entrees, rabbit for example. good wine. No spectaculaaar views but a friendly ambiance. Service was good. Noise was moderate. possible to have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:
- Sweet spot on CastroWhynotDined on 8/15/2014Had a lovely dinner with family at Fable. Really enjoyed the garden seating, which was good because I found the dark interior depressing. The food was excellent and imaginative. Extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally!RRRBBMVIPDined on 8/10/2014A terrific restaurant in the Castro! Superb food, great service and stylish design. I'd go back just for the pork cheek appetizer.Special Features:
- TurkishTomDined on 8/10/2014I have enjoyed both dinner & brunch at Fable. Great menu too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm going back.hansDined on 8/9/2014Love, love, love Fable! Great people. Great food. This restaurant is the only best option for brunch in the Castro.Special Features:
- One of the best in the CastrosffoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food at Fable is excellent and beautifully presented. Portions are generous and the staff is very friendly. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:
- Another Fabulous MealvgsanfranVIPDined on 8/7/2014We just love Fable. It's a great addition to the Castro given we are in dire need of better places to eat. Fable is always fresh, seasonal and I love how they make an effort to use locally grown ingredients. Service was great and the dessert was off the hook! We had the mixed melon salad which was delicious, followed by Albacore Tuna and the special entre of the day which was substituted with Tuna and amazing. The spicy chocolate habanero lava cake was absolutely to die for. Great meal which made for a great and memorable night with friends! Thank you Fable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best blind date for your mouth.Operator7GDined on 8/3/2014Menu changes frequently based upon seasonal ingredients and their attempt to keep things interesting so try not to get too attached to some menu items. Still, I think it's safe to bet that you'll have an excellent meal. Wine pairing suggestions are also on the menu. I live in Los Angeles and would make it a point to have a meal when I visit San Francisco again! Our server was very mellow and knowledgeable plus we got to chat with one of the owners who was very friendly and glad to talk with us about our experience.Special Features:
- So-so brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/3/2014Fair food, limited bar menu (consisted of pre-mixed Bloody Mary's, Mimosas and two types of sparkling wine) since they have no bartender), and fairly slow service. Pretty pricey drinks and food considering what they offer.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/2/2014We went for lunch after seeing a film at the Castro. Food was delicious, service excellent, even though it was 2:00. My one wish would be that there had been more "lunch" items on the "brunch" menu. That said, my French toast was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it! But...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2014Great restaurant, but WAY overpriced for the area.
- Not your typical fresh, local ...NeimhVIPDined on 7/26/2014While many restaurants do "farm to table", local, etc. - and often do it well. Fable ups the ante with a unique flavor palate that truly differentiates it. I started with a mixed melon salad with a spicy, smoked paprika vinaigrette. It was light, with just a touch of spice that sort of tickled the back of your throat. My husband had the Dijon Crusted Braised Pork Cheeks with kale, apple, crispy shallots and cider vinaigrette. He felt the apple, along with the cider vinaigrette added a perfect sweet-tart punch to the rich pork cheeks. Our mains were great too. His steak was exactly to order- and I had the buttermilk fried rabbit in a gumbo stew that was tender and juicy on the inside with a perfectly crispy coating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurantMooberDined on 7/25/2014We decided to celebrate our 27th anniversary here. It did not disappoint. It was an 80 degree day in the city so sitting outdoors was a no brainer. It was just lovely sitting outside in their garden area. Our party of 4 had the pork chops, rabbit, salmon, and chicken. They were all very good and had fresh ingredients. I would say the chicken, pork chop and salmon were excellent. We we disappointed that the duck breast was no longer on the menu. We were looking forward to it. If we were in the area, we would definately drop in again.Special Features:
- Nice addition to Castro St.jrwxtxDined on 7/20/2014This was a repeat trip to Fable. The food and the atmosphere is very nice. The toasted Italian Kale was a nice surprise. This restaurant needs to acquire a liquor license to bring it to the next level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at FableOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/16/2014It is nice to have another choice in the Castro for some higher end dining as there has been a definite void since the closure of 2223 Market. While the food here is not of the caliber of 2223, it runs a nice second. Service was polished and not overly attentive but very friendly. Upon exiting, most every staff member acknowledged and said " thanks for visiting " I couldn't give a definitive theme for the cuisine but would say it tends to be more on the comfort/ethnic/fresh to table.Special Features:
- Do not miss this one!joshas87VIPDined on 7/13/2014We were visiting the Bay Area from Seattle, and we were seriously impressed with just about everything. We were seated on the back patio which has a gorgeous garden and propane patio heaters. The service was extremely attentive and friendly--our server was glad to answer questions/offer recommendations. Particular standout dishes (though everything was fantastic) were the dijon crusted pork cheeks (great flavor, especially when paired with the accompanying tart kale/apple salad), the braised short rib (extremely tender with a beautifully-balanced jus--not too sweet, but with hints of cherry), and the goat cheese/honey cheesecake (not too heavy, complex but delicate floral flavors with the tequila sauce and pistachio crust). Amazing.Special Features:
- Great brunch!SFdinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014I haven't tried Fable for dinner yet;however, the brunch was great. We sat outside, and had a really relaxing time. Service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood - CastroMfsanfranciscocaDined on 7/11/2014Very delightful restaurant for dinner in Castro. Food was amazing. The only problem with this restaurant is it does not have a full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014My group of 3 all had fantastic food here on a Friday nite. We had not come here before but a foodie friend highly recommended it. service also really nice. we did not order wine and we still got amazing service. not a snooty atmosphere at all but the food is really amazing from starters to dessert...we all had it all. The atmosphere is nice and we were surprised at how quiet it was despite tables nearby. next time we will try sitting outdoors which wasn't available that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedcherylDined on 7/6/20144 of us went for brunch. Menu sort of readable. Service slow. Food 5 to 7 delightful space- environment, Service slow. They need more servers have been before and it was great
- Not coming back here!luv2dineDined on 6/29/2014We have to wait for a long time to be seated. The server was very sloppy, and kept forgetting to bring items we ordered. The food was okay--pricey for what it was. It was disappointing that they didn't have a liquor license. We are not coming back, and I wouldn't recommend it to any I know. There are other restaurants in the Castro that are 100 times better.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2014Service and food were both great. They accomodated our request for a seat in the window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterMikeVIPDined on 6/26/2014Of the two entries, one was great (Pork chop) the other was fair-poor (Scallops/Pork Belly). Fair is kind, poor might be more accurate and honest. There were two, yes two scallops; one of which was a bit on the fishy side. The pork belly had been overcooked and if it had been a decent size before cook it ended-up looking like a burnt little nub on the plate. Between the over cooked pork belly and the two sparse scallops sat a mound of fried and non fried tomatoes. The raw leaked tomato juice onto what was otherwise a nicely battered and fried tomato. The scallop and pork belly dish was disappointing in every way; style, concept, execution, portion size and price for what was delivered. The pork chop on the other hand was very good.Special Features:
- HoldwineDined on 6/22/2014Excellent food, great service. (The servers warned us, "The lava cake is spicy." It was, in fact, OVERLY spicy.) The dressing on the melon salad was outstanding. The short ribs were tender and buttery. Don't miss the pork cheeks starter. The noise level was too great for me, but perhaps necessary for the restaurant's survival. (Except for Absinthe and Acquerello, all the "quiet" restaurants seem to have died or been reborn as noisemakers.)Special Features:
- Definitely worth a visitpcinbcDined on 6/22/2014Enjoyed an excellent dinner at Fable along with excellent service. Highly recommended for anyone looking to savour American cuisine with a modern flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch on the PatioLarryVIPDined on 6/21/2014We are SO happy the patio is open for weekend brunch! See you again soon!Special Features:
- Great food, nice patioWeezyDined on 6/18/2014Every dish we had was great. Fable always makes something special for vegetarians, the beet loaf was delicious & made my vegetarian husband very happy. Everyone who works there is extra nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and averageBettylouDined on 6/15/2014I had been looking forward to the restaurant for weeks. We were seated outside which was nice. Work could be done to get rid of the clutter and we looked on what looked like a storage area. Not very attractive. I remember the patio in another incarnation and it was quite pleasant and lovely. The appetizer was quite good. Entree mediocre. Dessert uneatable. It was the habanero lava cake which sounded delightful. It was so HOT we left the lava and ate around it.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerTimineerDined on 6/14/2014First, while booking my reservation via OpenTable I mistakenly booked for the night I was making the reservation. The host called that evening asking where my party of five was. I apologized but told him I had meant to book for the coming Saturday evening. He was very understanding and was able to change my reservation. We arrived on time and were seated immediately on the patio. It was so pleasurable to sit outside and enjoy our dinners as the patio is heated. The service was excellent. The food was delicious, especially my pork chop. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Great wine and food pairingsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014This is a great neighborhood restaurant that may become a destination for local foodies and those interested in wines not normally found on the typical lists. The owner, Erik is very personable and attentive as is the wait staff. There is outdoor dining on a deck surrounded by a small but beautifully arranged garden. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisappointmentJosephDined on 6/7/2014Was hoping we'd finally get a good restaurant in the Castro. Not this one. Although everyone was very friendly, the food was a big disappointment. Scallops were oily and overcooked and leeks undercooked. Salads just okay. Add to this the surprise we got when we saw a $120 charge for wine which was not quoted to us by waiter. Won't return.