Extra Virgin Modern Italian
4053 Campbell Ave
Arlington, VA 22206Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Extra Virgin Modern Italian
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.extravirginva.com/
- Phone: 7039988474
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm Bar Menu available Daily until 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Jenkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Group functions and Private Parties are welcome! We would love to cater to your next event - an office party or luncheon, gathering with friends and family. We will meet and exceed your needs and expectations!
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private room for up to 25 people. Dining room available for special occasions. Reserve Now!
- Private Party Contact: Scott Tripp 8778834432
- Entertainment: Live Music, Friday from 8p.m. till midnight and Saturdays from 7p.m. to 11p.m.. No cover.
Extra Virgin is a smoke free Restaurant.
- Special Events: Reservations for events larger than 25 people are accepted for the main dining room; We offer Three and Four course personally tailored menus designed in collaboration with the party coordinator.
- Cross Street: Quincy St.
- Public Transit: Served by Metro Bus connecting to nearby Pentagon City and Crystal City metro stations. Bicyclists can get in and out of Shirlington via the W&OD Trail, the Mt. Vernon Trail, and the Four Mile Run Trail, and use on-street trails and bike lanes within the neighborhood. Taxis - Blue Top Cab, Red Top Cab.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Plenty of free parking in well lit public lots and on streets in front of and surrounding Extra Virgin.
A word from Extra Virgin Modern Italian
Extra Virgin specializes in modern Italian cuisine, encompassing characteristics of various regions of Italy and enhanced by the artistry and imaginative creativity of Executive Chef Scott Jenkins. Extra Virgin brings a touch of casual elegance to Shirlington Village, with sophisticated contemporary decor complimented by an energetic, comfortable ambiance. New Lunch Specials $8 - $12, Monday-Friday from 11:30am - 2pm. Happy Hour Monday-Friday from 3-7pm in our lounge or bar. Great bar menu items for $5 during Happy Hour! Special drink prices: $2.50 (Miller Lite & Yuengling), $3.50 (Sam Season, Sierra Nevada, Blue Moon), and $3.50 for Rail Drinks. House Red, Sangria or White Wine for $5.00 per glass.Check out our 1/2 price Monday night wine list. Dinner 7 days a week! Brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Late Night Dining, Banquet, Private Rooms, Catering. Extra Virgin Restaurant specializes in Italian cuisine with a modern flare! Imagine Mama's home cooked meal!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Extra Virgin Modern Italian reviews from OpenTable diners
- Although we have been therebeeindcVIPDined on 3/16/2013Although we have been there many times before and always had a wonderful meal, we learned our lesson. NEVER go to a restaurant on the last night they are in business. They were out of everything....would have been easier to just give us a menu with the items they actually had on it! The service was.....bitter? Asked the waiter why Extra Virgin was closing and we got a no holds barred acount of the "management skills of the owners" and the "they just told us yesterday that they were closing". At that point why should they give us good service, there jobs were over after that night. I should have just let the restaurant be a good memory and gone elsewere...oh well, live and learnSpecial Features:
- Excellent place to eat, particularlRWL08540VIPDined on 3/16/2013Excellent place to eat, particularly before going to the movies,Special Features:
- The food was ok. I had swordfishOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2013The food was ok. I had swordfish and it was a little overcooked. The "gravy" for my pasta was a little bland. Service excellent.Special Features:
- I enjoyed the ambiance ofFoodfoodDined on 3/1/2013I enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant. It's a great place for a romantic dinner. The food I had was good but I probably wouldn't get what I had again. But I would go back and try something different. The menu is diverse with a lot of options.Special Features:
- Not our first time here soJeanfromalexandriaDined on 2/24/2013Not our first time here so we know how good it can be. Brunch was quite crowded. Reservation was for 1 pm-got to our table by 1:15 -waited for over 5 minutes before our sever even acknowledged us (even though he had the table next to ours). Our food was not up to what we have come to expect from Extra Virgin and when our yogurt and fruit came with out the fruit and the yogurt was in the store container, I asked if we could exchange it for the Italian waffle. It didn't come and we needed to leave by 2:30 to make a movie so we asked for the check. The manager came to our table to apologize and took my drink off the bill. We will be back but I don't think for brunch. Price is good but the menu is too ordinary.
- Good Food but not TimelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/24/2013We had a 1 pm reservation, got there about 12:45 pm but were not seated until aobut 1:15/1:20 pm. This may not seem like a big deal but with we had our 2 children who were a little antsy and very hungry so 30 minutes to get seated with a reservation was a little much. There was a kid's menu but we only received it upon request. There was a pretty decent menu selection but pork was the only breakfast meat option. The food was good, nice omlette, fluffy waffles, and my daughter got the kid's spaghetti which was very tasty. The food arrived quickly and service was fair to good as their were times where we had to flag our server down or wondered where he had gone. If we were to go back again, it would definitely be without the kids.Special Features:
- Go somewhere elseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/23/2013I was disappointed in Extra Virgin. The food was just blah. We ordered the calamari at out waiter's recommendation saying it was the most popular. It was oily and small portioned. I would rate it as extremely average. For the main course, I had the butternut squash raviloi and my boyfriend had the gnocchi. Both were bland. The we got the brownie for dessert. Tasted like a store bought brownie. I wouldn't have been surprised it it came from Harris teeter just down the street. I doubt we will be returning to extra virgin. Very disappointing experience. Good thing the show we saw at The Signature Theater was amazing to pick up the overall quality of our date night.
- Go for dinner, not for brunchSCinDCVIPDined on 2/17/2013I've been there for dinner and had a great experience but brunch was not as successful. We had made a reservation on Open Table and ended up having to wait for a table even though the restaurant was 3/4 full then tried to seat us at a table by the drafty door. The food took entirely too long to arrive and was cold when it it finally made it's way to us. We didn't want to ask to have it warmed up since there was no telling how long it would take. The service, while friendly, was at a snail's pace to the point we didn't want to order another round of drinks for fear it we would be stuck for another 45 mins.
- Food was excellent! My serverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2013Food was excellent! My server was very good! The only thing I Was unhappy about was that I had 7:15 reservation and didn't sit until 7:50. My thought process is why even make a reservation. The purpose of making a reservation is so eat at that exact time , it can ruin plans for after dinner . Other critical feedback Is that I would hire experienced and older hostess . Poor girls didn't know what was going on but not there fault managementsSpecial Features:
- Bummed Regular Menu Was UnavailableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013What I love most about this restaurant is the menu, but on Valentine's they were doing a prix fixe menu. They offered us the chance to back out, but we decided to go anyway, and I'd say the experience was fine, as in okay but nothing special. That is not usually our experience at this place. Since it was a Thursday, the place was not especially crowded, and I could not see any particular reason why they could not have had the regular full menu. (If it had been a weekend night, I would have been more understanding.) The only actual negative thing that happened during the meal was that they brought our appetizers after our cocktails, but took them away without argument.Special Features:
- Absolutely Outstanding DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/10/2013Restaurant has a hip swanky vibe and is located in trendy Shirlington. We had 8 for Sunday Brunch. Brunch menu had a great variety and for the most part was reasonably priced (avg $10). The Wood Fired Eggs were slightly overcooked and a side of bacon was $4 for two pieces (a little pricey). Friends had the Florentine Omelet, Egg & Potato Casserole, and Rustic Deep Dish Quiche and said they were fantastic. Husband had the St. Benedictine and although good, thought it was a little stingy on the hollandaise. Restaurant was quiet (despite being almost full) so we were able to carry on a conversation. Wait staff was professional and provided great service. This will be my Sunday Brunch place as it also works for an intimate brunch for twoSpecial Features:
- I have dined here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/10/2013I have dined here many times and the food is good (not great). It's also inconsistent. At Sunday brunch, the service was PAINFULLY slow.
- This is a nice restaurantGKRKVIPDined on 2/9/2013This is a nice restaurant if you are going to Signature Theater. It tends to be noisy. Some dishes are better than others, but most are quite agreeable. Our waitress was very pleasant and went out of her way to accommodate some dietary needs. If you want a bottle of wine with your main course, order it early - it often takes some time to appear. Twice now the wine came when we were half way through our main course.
- More than I expectedTEP1VIPDined on 2/3/2013I frequently go to Shirlington to dine, but I'd only been to Extra Virgin once. This visit was the first time I went for Sunday brunch and I was impressed with the options on the menu. My sister was a little disappointed that the dish she wanted was no longer available but my chocolate waffle was awesome. Many of the choices sounded delicious, so I look forward to going back again in the future. Service was a little slow, but friendly.Special Features:
- The brunch was surprisinglyAnonymousDined on 1/27/2013The brunch was surprisingly good, but the service was not up to par. The waiter incorrectly applied only part of my gift certificate, and took so long to bring change that his tip eroded with the passage of time.Special Features:
- Wonderful atmosphere withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013Wonderful atmosphere with live music. Service was exceptionally fast and prompt.Special Features:
- Who would think that a small33yrrestaurantguyVIPDined on 1/25/2013Who would think that a small Italian restaurant could prepare seafood so wonderfully? Moreover, who would think that with such a large menu that they could cook everything perfectly? Well, they do it.Special Features:
- First time in area. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013First time in area. Excellent food and service. We can't wait until we move there and can go there again.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good ServiceVirginiaTravelerVIPDined on 1/16/2013We went for lunch. Maybe that was the problem: wintertime, weekday, lunchtime. Not very exciting food, but good. Lots of "space" with only 4 tables full. Not as good as last time so I'm putting this down to an aberration.
- Quiet enough for conversation.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/13/2013Quiet enough for conversation. This wa an adult birthday celebration and balloons were tied to one chair. Nice way to recognize celebrant. Food tasty and large portion at brunch. Reasonably priced. Speical on mimosas and bloody marys. Nice occasion. We will return.Special Features:
- Good service, but the food... ehKeepCookingThatChickenDined on 1/12/2013We ordered a pizza. It was incredibly salty and the bottom was burnt, making it very brittle. Also there was a band playing, which might be good when the place is packed, but the place was empty, so it was very jarring to have such a loud band blaring only a few yards from what would have been a nice romantic table for two. As it was, we couldn't hear each other for most of the dinner or eat the food. On the plus side, the waitress was lovely.
- The live band was nice, butKimberlyDined on 1/12/2013The live band was nice, but a little loud. We had a hard time holding conversation with our dinner partners. Food and service were great!Special Features:
- the food was "middling" atkmurrDined on 1/10/2013the food was "middling" at best - oily butternut squash ravioli, too much blue cheese on the gnocchi dish, our party of 5 did not have one dish that they thought was "great"
- The primary reason we selectedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/9/2013The primary reason we selected Extra Virgin is because we were going to a play at Signature Theater which is just a block away from the restaurant. We were seated as soon as we arrived which was a bit earlier than our reservation for 6 pm. The service was prompt and our server was delightful. We consumed a 4 course meal and were seated at "Dreamgirls" by 7:20 without feeling rushed. This is our favorite place to dine when attending an event at Signature because we can always count on excellent service, reasonably sized portions and timely execution of our meal. Brava, Extra Virgin!!Special Features:
- The food was uneven. My husbandGKRKVIPDined on 1/5/2013The food was uneven. My husband loved his gnocchi and beef but my lamb with fettucine was not so great. The lamb was very salty and slightly overcooked and the fettucine was more of a mass of clumps of overdone pasta with sauce that required cutting rather than twirling. We had to search out our waitress several times in the crowded dining room and our wine came when we were more than halfway through our dinner. It's a handy location near Signature Theater but not a spot I would have people go out of their way for.
- They have live jazz on FridaysLeahVIPDined on 1/4/2013They have live jazz on Fridays and Saturdays which we were unaware of so if you want to hear it, plan on eating after 8:30pm to enjoy! Food was cooked perfectly and our server was very attentive. Certainly a huge change from their horrible brunch menu and service.Special Features:
- Okay, not greatDCDinerVIPDined on 1/4/2013Ordinary food--tasty but nothing special. Excellent service though!
- Not Good - Don't GoGirlfromCaliforniaDined on 12/31/2012We went to celebrate New Year. The band was fun - athmosphere festive. My husband enjoyed his meal - not great, but no complaints. My experience on the other hand was terrible. I am a vegetarian. The set menu had no options for vegetarians. I was served a fig wrapped in bacon??? The salad was ok - pears were delicious, but it was just a pile of argula. When the butternut pasta arrived - it was gummy, thin, tossed on a plate with melted butter that was becoming solid again - obvisiously it sat around before being served. I sent it back. Dessert was not impressive. We will never go back and I will be sure to tell everyone not to go. A new restaurant in this location would be a good thing.
- Over all, a very nice restaurant,TartarVIPDined on 12/31/2012Over all, a very nice restaurant, especially for pre-theater dining. Every course had great depth of flavor and was well presented. The staff was very attentive and quite responsive. Two thumbs up!!!Special Features:
- Good Italian food, you canOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012Good Italian food, you can count on good service, good food, good for a dinner or appetizer before or after the movie or a play. Not "foodie: great, wine list is ok, bar is nice, not too loud, make really good Rusty Nails and Manhattans.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, polite andletseatVIPDined on 12/29/2012Great ambiance, polite and attentive wait staff. Food is good, just a little heavy and a little on the greasy side. Not for the calorie counters. The wine list is decent. Very lively and vibrant place with live music. Would go back again.Special Features:
- Average food with possibilitiesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/24/2012We were there Christmas Eve so this may have been an exception. We had the last sitting/reservation at 8:45 and there were only a few other diners there. The staff was friendly but we were rushed, they were clearly ready to leave. My husband and mom had the Sunday Sauce house specialty pasta and they both gave it a c+. It was all sausage, large links, and no meatballs or pepperoni as advertised. I had the stuffed dates appetizer nd gave them an A. I had the chicken parm entree and gave it a B, nothing special but not bad. Since it was Christmas Eve, we'd probably give the place another try.
- We brought our family groupOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/24/2012We brought our family group of 9 adults here when they were visiting for Christmas. Everyone was very pleased with their meal and service. The price is reasonable for the high quality of food.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/23/2012Disappointed. Two incorrect orders were brought to the table. The linguine with clams had very little pasta. Was hoping for more since it's in a great location for attending the Signature Theatre and movies after/before dinner. I had written "birthday dinner" when reserving a table on Open Table, but this was not brought up when checking in as other restaurants have done. On a positive note, the sauce on the plain spaghetti was very nice.
- This was our first time hereAgentKathyDined on 12/23/2012This was our first time here and we went for brunch. We will definately be going back. Portion sizes were great and everything was delicious and the prices are very affordable.Special Features:
- I have been going to thisOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/21/2012I have been going to this restaurant since it opened and had not been in over a year. The seat was close to the kitchen and dampened the ambiance. The music was awful and way tooooooo loud. Our pizza was dry and the salad was less than delightful! It took awhile to get our first drink and the wonderful bread and oil. I was very, very disappointed since I brought friends there from out of town.
- No longer a faveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/21/2012Was disappointed in food and service. Ravioli under-cooked, the Linguine with clams so salty I could not eat and an a waitress that rushed us with a check before dessert was over. Used to love this place, but my last experience was not so good.
- All-around great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/20/2012Three of us dined here before a show at Signature Theater and it was a splendid start to the evening. The server was charming and knowledgeable, and we lingered over the menu because so many things looked good that we struggled to choose. My husband enjoyed a red wine flight from a nicely-varied wine list. The dishes each of us had were generous and beautifully prepared. We didn't have time for dessert before our show, and our server let us know he was mindful of our time constraints but the dinner never felt rushed like some pre-theater meals I've had elsewhere. Before we left the table, we were talking about when we could return to this restaurant. Bravo!Special Features:
- Our group always meets atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/15/2012Our group always meets at Extra Virgin for dinner before attending the annual performance of the Revels. The food and ambiance are to everyone's taste, and we can park nearby to carpool into town. The Christmas decorations in Shirlington are especially lovely.Special Features:
- Lunch & Business - Just Right!JimboDined on 12/14/2012Great for a business lunch. Service was attentive, not overbearing. We were not rushed. Food was just right. I'll be back soon!Special Features: