Extra Virgin - Kansas City
Kansas City, MO 64108Neighborhood:
Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Extra Virgin - Kansas City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.extravirginkc.com/
- Phone: 8168422205
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Michael Smith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact General Manager, Nancy Smith for all private dining and off premise catering requests at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: The mezzanine level private dining room is the perfect place for your next business meeting, holiday party or social gathering. Chef Michael Smith will create a delicious menu for your event. The private room has a 50" flat panel TV for your A/V needs. For larger parties, you may rent the main dining room of Michael Smith or Extra Virgin by contacting us.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Smith 8168422202
A word from Extra Virgin - Kansas City
James Beard Award Winning Chef Michael Smith's latest culinary creation is Extra Virgin, located in Kansas City's historic Crossroad's Art's District. Open to rave reviews in December 2008, Extra Virgin serves Mediterranean Tapas and has an extensive wine list and full cocktail menu. We offer patio dining for 50 people & private dining for 30 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Extra Virgin - Kansas City - Best Restaurants in Crossroads / Freight District / Boulevard ›
Extra Virgin - Kansas City reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)great for outdoor dining (42)neighborhood gem (39)vibrant bar scene (29)hot spot (28)good for groups (28)special occasion (24)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (15)romantic (12)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Excellent in every way.grtdiningDined on 9/16/2014Absolutely elegant lunch with a long-time friend. Chose the Wood-Fired Hanger Steak--prepared to perfection! Certainly, the expertise of Michael Smith and his chefs was evident--with other staff wonderful also. Yes, a gem for Kansas City. Great ambience for visiting and dining. Thank you for being there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didn't like food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We ordered 5 small plates and didn't like 2 of them. Sad day. The daring menu is hard to order from.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014As always the food at Extra Virgin was amazing!! Tried some new items along with the favorites from before. On a downside, our server was a bit preoccupied to give us the service we had before. It is always a shame to wait 15 minutes to take your drink order then get your food before your drinks. Oh well, he was more than likely having a bad night. I only hope we don't get him again because I plan to come back and bring a friend that's never been there before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanimalDined on 8/23/2014The food and service were both very good. Our only complaints are that the stuffed too many tables in the space available and that they apparently aren't aware of the availability of acoustics. The noise was deafening and we had to continually repeat ourselves in our conversation.Special Features:
- Dinner at Extra VirginChuckGVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent, as was the service. However, the server did not describe well the entree I ordered and as result got something very different that was expected. Additionally, the portions are small and as a result dinner becomes more expensive than indicated by Open Table because everything is a la carte and to have sufficient food to be satisfied, multiple items must be ordered. Lastly, the acoustics in the restaurant are not good and it can get loud very easily, making conversation at normal volume difficult.Special Features:
- Great LunchMIchaelDined on 8/22/2014We wanted a new place for lunch to try and this place hit the spot. We had 3 of their small plate dishes and each one was great. We would definitely go back for lunch or even dinner.Special Features:
- Love Extra VirginOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014I love Extra Virgin. It's not failed me yet. The small plates theme is awesome for groups.ut it might be time to change up the menu a bit. I was a bit disappointed during this last visit that the menu was the same as it had been the past times I'd been there. Also, the watermelon mint salad was off this time, and I'm not sure there was any actual watermelon in it. Everything else was great.Special Features:
- Love EVThinkinoutloudDined on 8/15/2014Extra Virgin is always a culinary adventure. It is our first choice in downtown KC. So many selections, and every one is special. Michael Smith is a gem. If your focus is wonderful food, EV will delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sharing menuFood4thoughtDined on 8/4/2014I dined with a group of 6. We ordered at least 2 tapas apiece and then reordered a few more. The pitchers of sangria were great. Favorites were ceviche tacos, fig stuffed pork, chips, hanger steak, and mussels. We also all enjoyed the watermelon salad. Great wait staffSpecial Features:
- Been dying to try this placeKCGirlDined on 8/2/2014I live in Olathe and can never get downtown. I went on a Saturday night at 7:15 and it was loud. I mean very loud and not condusive with a romantic birthday dinner which is why I was there. Our waiter was very knowlegeable on the menu and we took several suggestion and it was good. Several items were flavorless which surprised us. The duck tongue tacos was very bland. The tuna ceviche tacos had so much avacado in them that we couldn't even taste the tuna. All and all the food was "good" not "great". Would I go again? Sure, but not for a special occasion or romantic place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paleogalDined on 7/26/2014salads and vegetable items were excellent; hangar steak was greasy, grisly and didn't taste good; shrimp was not seasoned well and overcooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dining with great food.WelshDragonDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I were visiting from Wichita and wanted to try a different restaurant from the norm. What a pleasant surprise. Great service, food and atmosphere. Lots of energy compared to what seemed to be elegance and calm I Observed in the restaurant next door. My salad was overly generous with goat cheese and after I commented on this the plate was quickly removed and a fresh one brought. We will be back next visit to KC. Thanks for a great date night venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceNataliaDined on 7/23/2014This was my second time at Extra Virgin, and it was wonderful. Michael Smith Special Reserve Bordeaux was terrific! Our server, Ben, was great - attentive, not overbearing, great knowledge of food and wines. We has pork belly dumplings, octopus, duck tongue tacos, and fig stuffed chicken thighs - one has to be open-minded going into this restaurant, but the combination of tastes is superb.Special Features:
- LizzieDined on 7/21/2014Food here was good. Service was so-so. The menu is very unusual and intersting. The oysters were good and the salad very good.Special Features:
- excellent small plate restaurantbertDined on 7/5/2014would highly recommend this place. very good drinks, even better food. come with a group and order as much as you can.Special Features:
- Global Fusion TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Extra Virgin is best described as a global fusion tapas experience offering exotic ingredients in small flavor packed bites. Highly recommend duck tongue tacos, grilled bone marrow, wood fire grilled oysters, and wood fire grilled oyster mushrooms. I especially appreciate Extra Virgins willingness to alter a few of the plates to make the dish gluten-free. The meal and service were first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014For the non-adventurous, a first glance at the menu might give pause. Duck tongue tacos, octopus, beef heart & gizzard skewers, crispy pig ear. When people have no idea what they are eating, they tend to really enjoy the experience at such a quality restaurant. The challenge is the preconceived notions of what something might taste like. This is a restaurant run by a tremendous chef. If you step outside your comfort zone (pending you have one) Extra Virgin will not disappoint. Even if you go conservative, the poblano mac & cheese, Maryland Crab Croquettes, Spanish meatballs, cheeses, and salads will please.Special Features:
- BLAH!DeedDined on 6/12/2014Extremely noisy. Food was nothing out of the ordinary. The fried baby artichokes were pricey and really not good. It's not my kind of place.Special Features:
- Server distractedluv2eatDined on 6/7/2014The food was fabulous and came out very quickly. We liked the stuffed peppers the best with the bread pudding a close second. Our male server was distracted and was not paying full attention when taking our orders. He forgot one drink and acted annoyed when we asked questions regarding the small plates and was not helpful with recommendations. I would eat there again because of the great food but would prefer a different server.Special Features:
- Nice surprises at Extra VirginOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2014After entering this very eclectic and hip-looking environment, we started our lunch learning that is was Negroni Week ... each of our lunch party ordered one and we loved them! I'd not enjoyed one that good since at the Campari Bar in Milan ... next we ordered salads and a number of "tapas" sized entrees ... we shared the entrees, unique versions of items I'd had before; crab croquettes, smoked oysters, mac & chz but with some flavor and presentation twists ... I also ordered the tuna ceviche tacos, fresh and very flavorful ... then more Negroni's ... we had a great time and I am happy to recommend Extra Virgin to other, adventurous diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- auntiemossVIPDined on 5/31/2014Consistently fun and interesting menu. Sharing is great for the timid and adventurous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2014We enjoy Extra virgin and they have excellent if unusual food. There is a lot of variety on their menu but again items that most americans do not eat.This is a great treat if you are willing to try unusual dishes.Special Features:
- The following 534 reviews are from the Extra Virgin - Kansas City reviews archive.
- Good TapasEH13VIPDined on 5/24/2014This was our first time at Extra Virgin. We have eaten at Michael Smith and thought the food was great. Extra has a great bar scene and the tapas were really good. I probably wouldn't recommend if you want a full meal as it can get expensive. I will definitely go back for happy hour.Special Features:
- gidamVIPDined on 5/22/2014Love introducing people to Extra Virgin. People Always enjoy. Bet you can't find a better Greek salad in Greece and the chicken thighs stuffed with chorizo Always one of my favorites. A good place to dine before an event at the Kauffman Center.Special Features:
- Always meets my expectationsMidtownerVIPDined on 5/10/2014You can count on Extra Virgin for great food and service. It's the perfect place to go before a show at the Kauffman Center, too, as they'll get you there on time.Special Features:
- Churro!!!!!!leonardoVIPDined on 5/8/2014The small plates are great! Love dessert with the small chocolate pot! Special!Special Features:
- One of my favestallyhoVIPDined on 5/6/2014EV is always a fun and tasty experience. The waitstaff is kind and efficient, the food intriguing, and the venue cool. Always a good meal!Special Features:
- Extra VirginWoundDined on 5/2/2014The specialty drinks were a bit overpriced but the service was excellent. We found one of the dishes had a bit too much mustard and when the server asked about the mostly uneaten dish we told him about it just expecting him to take note of it. He returned in 5 minutes with a new serving with the ingredients adjusted and it was perfect. Little things like this make a place special.Special Features:
- Everything was perfectPippaDined on 4/22/2014We enjoyed the outdoor patio on a Tuesday evening. Beautiful weather, a good waiter, and fantastic food for every course! The Persian cucumbers and deviled eggs started us off, followed by hangar steak and fig filled chicken thighs. Dessert was strawberry crostada and apple raisin bread pudding finished off the meal. Excellent all around.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014I picked this place because the wife and I wanted a nice romantic night out in the Crossroads. Having "heard of" this by friends, I decided we would check it out. Boy was I not disappointed. I made a reservation online which was simple and easy, and further made a "special request" to have a glass of wine ready for my wife. When we arrived we were seated promptly and when my wife selected her choice of wine, the waiter showed up with the exact wine she selected. That got the night started right. The service was excellent, our waiter was busy but was prompt with everything we needed. The food was honestly some of the best food I've had in KC in awhile. I highly recommend others trying this out. We will be back again.Special Features:
- wine and tasty food served wellstanDined on 4/12/2014wine and tasty food served well lots of variety to make you want to keep coming back to try it allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre concert visitdgreen50Dined on 4/11/2014This was our second visit to Extra Virgin. We really enjoy the variety and quality of the tapas. Of note on this visit was the poblano mac and cheese, the wood fired mushrooms, and the apple pecan crostada with butter pecan ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small plates, great serviceGuestDined on 4/10/2014Service is a plus in this casual find. Great food with an eclectic menu. A Michael Smith restaurant. If you don't want the elegance next door, want to have a small meal and you want to be served by a long-tenured casual staff, this is the place. You won't be disappointed. (This was my fortieth or so visit. I will keep coming back.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Dependable Wonderful Eatery!!ScootertherapyDined on 4/4/2014Extra Virgin is one of our favorite KC restaurants. We like to try different places, but always return to Extra Virgin for the atmosphere, wonderful, different, enjoyable small plate choices. Each Extra Virgin experience can be totally different just by the choices that are made!! Even though Michael Smith's namesake restaurant is next door, he does not shortchange Extra Virgin on his involvment and presence!! Always a fun time!! Walk-ins are possible, but reservations are better!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great from minute 1 to the endOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014Third time at ExtraVirgin, still love the place for the vibe, ambiance, food...it's definitely a neighbourhood gem. The staff is great. My only negative comment to the restaurant would be the "t-shirt " outfit for the staff...I think it's a little too casual for this type of restaurant...coming from a metropolitan city, I would expect higher standard on that level. However, the staff is very professional and even when being friendly, they are not over friendly, they keep the "etiquette".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat PlaceHungrymanVIPDined on 3/21/2014A neat restaurant with lots of choices from the menu. What I especially liked is the fact that the little plates are perfect in size portion that you can try several.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EV is excellenttallyhoVIPDined on 3/11/2014This is always one of my favorite restaurants to visit. The food & service are always good. Try the duck tongue tacos, spanish meatballs, and beet salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!KB1988Dined on 3/4/2014I've been here many times and live sharing it with people that gave never been. Amazing and unique cocktails and small plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed, but not for the worseDD99VIPDined on 3/3/2014The experimental, Spanish-inflected small plates daytime menu, ever variable, has now absorbed the excellent rabbit gnocchi from Michael Smith next door, no longer open for lunch. Additions since last visit are the excellent baked oysters and shrimp-fried rice. Shrimp bisque is on hiatus in favor of French onion soup. Whole roast branzino is gone, while hanger steak has reverted to its huichlacote version. All-day "happy hour" half-pricing now survives only in a different menu from 4-6pm, though "regular" prices have been reduced on several items and $2 off per glass of wine still applies. All in all, still a bargain banquet for gastronomes, a hotbed of innovation, and an oasis in a still-facelifting neighborhood of downtown KC.Special Features:
- Great visit as usualcookingqueenDined on 2/28/2014Went for dinner with a friend, great food wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.