Explorers - Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore
550 Light Street
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Explorers - Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sonesta.com/Baltimore/index.cfm?fa=diningentertainment.home
- Phone: 4102340550x3728
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.
Friday & Saturday: 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Josean Rosado
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call the 410-234-0550 ext:3728 for private events and functions.
- Special Events: We offer Afternoon Tea on Friday's and Saturday's 3pm-5pm.
Reservations are not required but are encouraged.
For groups of ten (10) or more please call 410-234-0550 ext 3728
A word from Explorers - Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore
Inspired by safari legends and adventure lore, the exotic Explorers Lounge is lavishly decorated with hand painted murals, adventure memorabilia and fine antiques. Chef's favorites include Maryland crab cakes and Cream of Crab Soup (awarded "Best in Baltimore"). You will also enjoy an unbeatable view of Baltimore's scenic Inner Harbor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Explorers - Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore reviews from OpenTable diners
- A Little Overpriced Limited ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Although the location is nice the view from the restaurant was obscured. The decor was nice, but nothing great. The crab soup was not good at all. The main dish was just ok. Now the ice cream dor dessert was very good. Overall I would not recommed or revisit. There are better options.
- The following 119 reviews are from the Explorers - Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore reviews archive.
- Good but not great.KurtzbDined on 2/22/2014We don't go out often so when we do we want it to be something special. The Royal Sonesta Hotel is held in high esteem by my husband for some reason. I am unimpressed - it looks exactly the same as it did when it was HarborCourt. The restaurant has a great view of the harbor, no doubt about that. Valet parking is free for diners which is a bonus. Our server, Carol, was delightful and attentive. The food? Enh, calamari was good. Pasta was good. My husband got some sort of meat - see what I mean? I don't even remember.....Go visit the bar for the view. It was an older crowd and a tad stuffy for me.Special Features:
- Great little RestaurantYannaDined on 12/31/2013This restaurant has a spectacular view of the harbor and the food and presentation of the food is divine. The chef always has something new and never disappoints you. The restaurant is in the Royal Sonesta Hotel and maintains that old world charm which is delightful. It is really a find among all the restaurants in Baltimore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical hotel restaurant!CityloverVIPDined on 6/24/2013This little restaurant is a hidden gem--a nice, elegant but relaxed setting in the Inner Harbor. The menu is inventive if you want it, but carries plenty of "comfort foods" and familiar favorites. Service is very attentive without being overbearing. And the food is terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Poor ServiceMissBoDined on 6/18/2013I took a group of associates to Explorers for a farewell lunch for a colleague. It was their first time dining at Explorers however I had been there a couple of times and the experience had been awesome. I had even sent my business unit there for a celebration lunch and they all gave the total experience a 10! Unfortunately, this time was not indicative of the previous visits. While the food was excellent, well prepared and presented, the service was almost non-existent. The server(s) spent most of the time at the bar talking with the bartender and had to be asked for menus after more than 45 minutes. We had to ask for beverages and had to ask to have our order taken 15 minutes after that...total disregard of our time.Special Features:
- Hidden small oasissleepdocDined on 6/4/2013Half a dozen or so tables for 4, plus a sitting area with couches and chairs for lighter fare, situated on the second floor of a gracious, opulent hotel, with windows looking out over the Inner Harbor, the ambience was exceeded only by the excellent food and service. Nice, but not over-priced wines by the glass or bottle; we didn't sample the bar except for a very good 18 y.o. single malt scotch. After having the best crab cake during the week in B'more, we had to return. The steak the second night was equally exquisitely prepared; I even ate most of my vegetables which were perfectly cooked. It was never crowded, but given the small size of the restaurant area, I would make sure to use OT to secure a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/21/2013The waiter was terrific. Always there when we needed something but not intrusive. The food and wine were great!
- EXCELLENT EASTER BRUNCH. EVERYTHINGOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/31/2013EXCELLENT EASTER BRUNCH. EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS FROM THE OMELETTE STATION TO THE CARVED LEG OF LAMB TO THE DESSERT BARSpecial Features:
- It was fine, I booked in advanceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013It was fine, I booked in advance and thought it was for a brunch and it wasn't. It was for my daughters 21st birthday so I feel it should have been more of a brunch the a lunch/dinner that's all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet get away with excellent fooSearch4bestnnjVIPDined on 3/2/2013Small and intimate. Excellent food and service. Not you typica Hotel restaurant. Chef came in and went to each table. Nice touch in a tourist city.Special Features:
- Unexpected gemCityloverVIPDined on 2/24/2013Wonderful restaurant--the menu is creative without being overwhelming. Service is attentive and knowledgable, and the room, with its harbor view, is quiet enough to carry on conversations. We'll be back!Special Features:
- The Explorer's Lounge is aPhillyexpatsVIPDined on 12/8/2012The Explorer's Lounge is a relaxed, quiet venue that serves well-prepared and reasonably priced food. Since it is in our neighborhood, we tend to go there when we are in a hurry or don't want to brave the elements. On our recent visit our party of three enjoyed the salads, salmon and spaghetti. The drinks and wine tend to be more expensive than the food. The wait staff is well meaning but somewhat unsophisticated and they don't have a sense of timing, e.g. asking for your order too early. Better training might solve this problem, or, better still, have them dine at another restaurant to gain a diner's experience.
- I took my family there forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012I took my family there for Thanksgiving brunch because the holiday menu looked yummy and included breakfast items and we were getting together at 11AM. The Royal Sonesta did not disappoint! Beautiful and elegant from the moment you walked up to the restaurant. The hostess gave us a tour of the sumptuous buffet area (beautifully laid out) on our way to our table. The food was delicious from the french toast to the decadent macaroni & cheese, fat mussels, turtle soup, shrimp & grits, to the mini pumpkin cheesecake, creme brulees, mousse...Excellent wait staff too! I plan to spend Thanksgiving brunch at the Harbor Court next year!Special Features:
- Pleasantly PleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/31/2012This was a different kind of late night dining. The atmosphere and private room arranged for my birthday dinner was unexpected but excellent! The bartender/waiter provided excellent service and though we were not the only guests in the restaurant, he certainly made us feel like we were. He was very knowledgeable and personable. The atmosphere coupled with great service made this a most enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2012The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, they knew the menu; offered great suggestions. The choices were original-each dish was colorful and well presented as well as delicious. We appreciated the way the head chef took time to visit the table to get input on his original entrees and chat with us. We felt like important guests from the time we walked in until the end of our dining experience. We wouldn't hesitate to return again to try other items on their menu.Special Features:
- Afternoon Tea - A MUST TryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2012Had afternoon tea on a Saturday. What an awesome experience!!!! The dining room was extremely beautiful and classy. My party was seated with a view overlooking the Inner Harbor. Our server was knowledgable, pleasant, and prompt. I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a unique was to spice up the brunch/lunch experience. We finished the afternoon off with champagne and strawberries soaked in Chamboard! Can't wait to return. PS - Be sure to do valet parking. The garage charges $20, but valet is only $8.Special Features:
- What an experienceKinsgirlVIPDined on 5/13/2012The Mother's Day brunch was fabulous. I have been taking my mom there for the Mother's day brunch for the better part of 20 years and we are never disappointed. The service and ambiance is outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food and service. QuietOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/7/2012Great food and service. Quiet enough for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Food was ok, overpriced though.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/23/2012Food was ok, overpriced though. It was empty, we were the only people in the place. The hostess was also the waitress. I would not classify this as 5 star.Special Features:
- Overcharged and under-servedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2012We didn't know in advance that there was a prix fixe Easter brunch menu (made the reservation based on Brighton's brunch menu). When we arrived, we discovered we'd be paying $65/adult and $30/child for our buffet. We have a 3-year-old that eats one bagel, so we NEVER would have come had we known the prices were so high (more than triple that of their standard brunch buffet). The food was fair - cold eggs, hard french toast, stale bagels. The service was fair - dirty plates accumulated and drinks were not refilled without asking, even though these were the only things they had to do. Then we received the bill and were furious to see that a 20% gratuity had been automatically added, without any notice, even though we were only a party of 3!
- I was given a gift certificateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2012I was given a gift certificate to Brightons restaurant and used it before going to see a play in Baltimore. I felt that while my meal was fine, it was not worth the money and did not think it was that special. There was only one other table in the restaurant on a Saturday evening and I was surprised about that. My boyfriend enjoyed his crab soup and Chesapeake chicken, but my salad and chicken dish were nothing to rave about. The view was not as grand as I imagined, but it was nice to look out at the harbor while we ate. Overall, I did not get the value from this restaurant that I was expecting based on the amount of money spent.Special Features:
- Brightons is located in aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2012Brightons is located in a wonderful Intercontinental Hotel, the Harbor Court Hotel. This restaurant is adjacent to their outstanding bar/lounge, the Explorer's Lounge. The views of the inner harbor in Baltimore are excellent. The wait staff was friendly enough.The food was even tasty. Unfortunately, Brighton's kitchen is half a block away in the other end of the hotel and nothing arrived hot. Additionally, the second bottle of wine we ordered was out of stock. It was just a standard California Vinyard. Very disappointing overall. We were there with good friends so we still enjoyed ourselves. But the dinning experience didn't contribute.Special Features:
- Afternoon tea was very elegant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012Afternoon tea was very elegant. Food was above average but tea selection was limited.Special Features:
- Perfect spot for specail occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012I took my Valentine there and she was not disappointed. The waiter was attentive and helpful, retrieved our coats for us at the end of the meal, and happily corrected an error on the final bill. I could not be more pleased!Special Features:
- A Good place to be to getOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2012A Good place to be to get out the normal dinner meals, fast food restaurants.Special Features:
- Had to return my filet twice.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011Had to return my filet twice. Our meal was cold and under cooked. Not worth the money we spent for New Years Eve. I did not care for the food selection overall.Special Features:
- Server could not figure outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2011Server could not figure out to use a gift card for the check. We eventually gave up, and put the tab on a credit card. The gift card had a pending transaction against it, which made it worthless for a week. Other than that, food and atmosphere were excellent.Special Features:
- We were told we would haveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011We were told we would have a view of the harbor-a table to view water. We were seated were we looked at concrete driveways. We were given a restricted menu for New Year's Eve. On the website, the full menu was offered. The table was not private; the ambiance was very disappointing. It was not at all romantic, which is what one wants-or anticipates on New Year's Eve. This was a very disppointing dining experience. I would never recommend this to my friends. And, yes, I am the female who paid for this dining experience, the male did not.
- Service slow and food above averageOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/9/2011Service was very slow for dinner. We ordered cocktails and it took them 10 minutes and they only had 6 people in the restaurant. Food was above average with great Maryland crab soup. Breakfast servcie was extremely slow. 2 servers available with only 10 people in the dining room and most having the buffet. We made the mistake of orderin goff the menu....don't do that.
- Our meal at Brightons wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011Our meal at Brightons was terrible. The service was lacking. I was expecting white table clothes and got none. We asked for a quiet table for 2 as it was our anniversary, instead we had a table in the middle of the room with all the other tables to the side. Everyone else had a centerpiece and we had none. Our wine glasses were brought to our table dripping wet,obviously the staff could not dry them. It was far from romantic. We really should have walked out. The staff was not prepared to work with large crowds, they appeared to lack experience. Wine we ordered was not available. Overall it was not worth the $200. it cost us. I will be talking with the Intercontinental management in regards to your terrible restaurant service.
- Service for the buffet wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011Service for the buffet was poor, as we disposed of our own plates much of the time. Obtaining drinks and coffee took a long time. The atmosphere was excellent and the food was very good. It was quite enough to hear the person at the opposite side of the table.Special Features:
- When attending a ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011When attending a Thanksgiving buffet for $58 a person, expectations for a truly awesome dinner are high. What a major disappointment. The first surprise was the announcement of the Bloody Mary Bar at $10/ drink or $18/person unlimited in addition to the cost of the buffet. . May have been worth it had the buffet been better but as it was—not even close. The only savings grace was an outstanding raw bar consisting of Oysters on the half shell, steamed clams and mussels. The main entrees were Ham served in a covered steam table which was dry and leathery. The Standing Rib was well cooked but either low Choice or Select grade at best. The whole Turkey at the carving station should have been an embarrassment to the Chef and never been
- The restaurant was fairlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2011The restaurant was fairly empty, yet we had to almost beg for water and for our table to be cleared. There was a party of 8 of us and we could have ran the place ourselves. The up side to our experience was that they allowed me to bring in a birthday cake.Special Features:
- Gray MorrisongraymorrVIPDined on 9/25/2011Luciano the server was funny but very Wierd... I enjoyed his service but he needs to learn USA expectations better. He is from Brazil. I have never written a response for Open Table before now.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant. ServiceHarleyloverDined on 8/24/2011Excellent restaurant. Service and food were excellent. Waitress was attentive, friendly and made sure my boys, ages 14 and 10 were satisfied. Would highly recommend this upscale restaurant.Special Features:
- I'm always surprisesd thatBatmanVIPDined on 8/19/2011I'm always surprisesd that they are not packed. the food and service is so good. the unday bruch is tops too.Special Features:
- I have mixed feelings here.OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/16/2011I have mixed feelings here. The crab cakes were really excellent. The salad was great. But one of our entrees, the flounder, was terribly overcooked and dry. There was only one other table booked in the place, not a good sign. No view when we were there as the bleachers set up for the Baltimore Grand Prix completely blocked any views of the harbor. Would recommend it for the crab cakes, but not the flounder.
- Had a lovely dinner duringOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/13/2011Had a lovely dinner during Restaurant Week with good selections, good food, and good service.Special Features:
- wow, I was totally disappointed,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2011wow, I was totally disappointed, 7:30 on a sat and my daughter and I were the only customers. Now I know why. Despite few diners, I had to request water 3 times. The appetizer was only 2 scalllops which were only seared on 1 side. My rockfish was ony the size ofa deck of cards and was overcooked and surrounding by a few corn kernels with little sauce. My daughter's risotto was a thick gelatinous lump. I was here 10 years ago and was so impressed. Now I know why it was empty
- The food was, incredible.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2011The food was, incredible. The service was incredibly, horrible. I had to remind them we hasnt received salads, or entrees when we were offered the dessert menu. Three of four requests for everything. Incredibly unreasonable. This will stand as the only time I withheld a tip, completely. Dont go here.