eXo Greek Mediterranean Restaurant
15-16 149th street
Whitestone, NY 11357Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
eXo Greek Mediterranean Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.exorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7187674396
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Constantine Kalandranis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We offer a wide variety of catering options from simple souvlaki platters to animal roasts in your back yard. Please call to inquire.
- Special Events: Sundays are special days here at eXo as we roast a whole animal every Sunday as part of a pre-fixe menu option. Included in a prixe fix format, we offer the best of what we have, as well as a beautiful Trapezi (table) with the rest of our offerings to supplement your choices. Please also inquire about our whole animal suppers as well as private events/special requests for parties and such.
A word from eXo Greek Mediterranean Restaurant
eXo Greek Mediterranean is a casual Greek/Mediterranean bistro which serves inspired, ingredient driven, dishes in a no pretense, casual atmosphere. We offer both indoor and outdoor seating on our gorgeous patio. Sundays are special days at eXo as we have our whole animal Trapezi suppers, which are both unique, and fun. Please call to inquire. Thank you for visiting.Continued
Please note that parties of 6 or more require a reservation.
Please note that parties of 6 or more require a reservation.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
eXo Greek Mediterranean Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)romantic (3)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (3)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent food...NicoleDined on 8/19/2014The food was excellent! The service was alright - we had to send our dishes back twice. The waiter was nice about it. Loved that we could sit outside. It's in a very nice area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Greek FoodTheaFDined on 7/20/2014By accident, we fell upon this gem. We ordered the spreads- hummus, eggplant salad, spicy feta (my favorite) tzatziki (double order). The latter was not my favorite and I am a yogurt fan. There keftedes made of beef and lamb were sitting in the spicy feta. They were very busy. Entrees...bravo! Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualhcmomDined on 7/19/2014We have eaten at ExO many times. Typically good food and service, only one time previously when a chef was missing, did we not have a good experience. This time both service and food were not up to par! It took 20 minutes to find out the specials!
- lovetoeat718Dined on 7/14/2014arrived but was closed. website even said it would be open. -maybe they are permanently closed?
- Short staffEstelleVIPDined on 6/27/2014It was short staffed on a Friday nite, The waitress was wonderful and apologized so much about the wait for our food. We have been there before and it was good, and we will return . Maybe just an off nite for them.
- Terrible Service for Large GroupnyccypriotDined on 5/29/2014They bring bottles of beer, no opener. Dips, no serving spoons. Saganaki with no fork and knife to cut it. Two cokes that were ordered never came. We asked for more pita (since they only brought a tiny plate for 11 people) three times, it never came out. Entrées came out, well 9 of 11. The steak never came and the lemon chicken. After a while, they come over and say, we never cooked the steak, but we can start it now. As for the chicken, they say we can't bring it, because ALL OF OUR CHICKEN IS FROZEN. Which is great news to hear after four people already had that for dinner. It was 2.5 hours into the service by then. After lots of negotiations, they took off the extremely late steak, and a round of beers ($20)Special Features:
- The following 95 reviews are from the eXo Greek Mediterranean Restaurant reviews archive.
- Red4VIPDined on 4/18/2014Over cooked over priced swordfish special. Extremely noisy.
- Nice experience!yagarmeisterDined on 4/11/2014You are made to feel welcome as soon as you walk in. The staff is friendly and attentive, and did everything they could to make us comfortable. The atmosphere on a Friday night was vibrant, but not too noisy. The food is not traditional Greek which makes it interesting. The food was good, but I wasn't wowed. However, overall was worth the experience and is a place I would gladly return to for a casual and very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!BeezerDined on 3/22/2014Went to eXo for my husband's doctoral graduation party. Everything was amazing! John took care of us and was one of the best hosts/server we've ever had (and we dine out quite a bit). I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but not specialjynyDined on 3/15/2014I decided to try Exo for my husband's birthday. We had a party of 8 and was seated in the enclosed outdoor space. (i'm sure in the warmer months the outdoor seating will be nice.) Service was good- friendly staff and accommodating. I did feel like it was more of a neighborhood restaurant and not one that you would seek out of your way to go to. Food was good but not all that memorable. A few dishes we got were the grilled octopus (good but you get so little), dips (always yummy), chicken trio (good), Moustaka (not sure about the spelling but it wasn't that good- we've had better), steak (was ok), pizza's (eh, it was ok). I would recommend other places before this one, sadly. I might go back sometime since it's so close to my home.
- Delicious Food, Friendliest ServicePeppyDined on 2/22/2014My friends and I had another delicious dinner at eXo Greek Mediterranean Restaurant this past Saturday night. From the moment we entered, until the moment we left, we were treated like royalty. They are so attentive (but don't hover). They will make sure the entire experience is the best they can provide. Every table was filled and every table was having a great meal and a wonderful time. My friends come all the way from Long Island because they love the food so much and the prices are very reasonable, too. The staff is so friendly, always smiling, easy-going, attentive, and accommodating. They are wonderful. We look forward to going in the spring/summer so we can enjoy the indoor/outdoor room surrounded by glass on three sides. So cozy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY DISAPPOINTED - I MADEOPENTABLEFANDined on 2/18/2014VERY DISAPPOINTED - I MADE RESERVATION ON OPEN TABLE - SHOWED UP AT THE RESTAURANT WITH FRIENDS - AND THE DAMN RESTAURANT WAS CLOSED.
- Food burnt (souvlakia trio),OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Food burnt (souvlakia trio), except salmon, which was tasty. Proportions small for the price (i.e., octopus and entrees) and the wine unreasonably pricey ($29-39 per bottle of mediocre red wine). Waiter was cool and attentive.Special Features:
- Every few weeksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/13/2014My wife and I go there every couple of weeks. The skewer trio and arugula salad is a great meal with their white sangria. We also had the 5 and 7 course chef tastings with wine pairing which is outragious. I recommend the lamb meatballs as an appetizer and the lamb chops or hanger steak for diner. Service is great and and the staff is very knowledgable of their menu. The wine selection is appropriate and compliments what is on the menu. After your meal, paying the bill is satisfactory because you are either full or have a plate to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Greek RestaurantmistahrudieDined on 2/8/2014This place is awesome, great food, great service, and a family style setting. I love Greek food, but cannot always make the trip to Astoria. This place is a gem near the Whitestone Bridge which I frequently travel.Special Features:
- Glad to go backgdfdmavineVIPDined on 2/1/2014The food and the service were great. We were glad to be back after giving the restaurant a breather. The food was well prepared and we enjoyed everything we ate. The grape leaves, the potato croquettes , the roasted cauliflower and the salad were all freshly prepared. It's too bad they don't have a liquor license.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, impeccable service!PeppyDined on 12/28/2013Since my husband and I discovered eXo Greek Mediterranean Restaurant we have returned with friends and family. They have all loved it as much as we do! One of our friends is a real foodie and she says the food is better than any Greek restaurant in Astoria. That's a ringing endorsement! Not only is the food delicious, but the service is wonderful. The staff is friendly, always there to help with any request, and actually adds to the great dining experience. Not only is there a lovely dining room, there is a separate room that is enclosed on all three sides by glass doors, which can open onto a terrace in nice weather. In the winter, it's heated so that it's really cozy. I would highly recommend eXo for a great meal!Special Features:
- Great Casual SpotBeezerDined on 11/16/2013My partner and I were tired of dining out at the same places each weekend and decided to try something new. The food was great, very authentic Greek, and the service was amazing. It's a family owned and run place, and it shows from the moment you walk in. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very impressedGaryVIPDined on 11/5/2013We ordered wine since there is no hard liquor served, something about being too close to a school. The spreads and pitas came and they were all okay, I have tasted better. The grilled octopus was very greasy. My sampler of pork, chicken and beef grilled on skewer was nicely charred but the beef was so chewy that I couldn't eat it.Special Features:
- A little disappointingCather123VIPDined on 9/20/2013We have been to exo many times, and always enjoyed the food. We went on a Saturday night and the place was very busy. A big party in the patio room was making a raucous noise. Not the fault of the restaurant, but they didn't have the tarama, and we were told there wasn't a big call for it so they ran out here and there. And the food was underseasoned. What happened to the lemon? Lemon potatoes, lemon chicken, but the lemon was not as strong as it used to be. Just a sad experience. Hopefully an aberration. We'll give the place a rest for a bit and try again. But maybe not on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beFoodie57VIPDined on 9/15/2013This was our favorite restaurant in Whitestone 2-3 yrs ago when Constantine was the chef and they had a more professional staff. Now it's just inexperienced college students. Went last night and at 8 PM there were exactly 8 others having dinner. We sat outside and it was very sad compared to how it used to be. Food was just average and a few entrees are priced way too high for the area, like lamb chops for $32. I don't know how they can afford to keep it open. Maybe it's a tax writeoff for the owners of the drugstore. Will not be returning.
- luv itchilemomVIPDined on 9/10/2013have been several times- great food- not your usual greek fare- great service- heirloom tomato salad- with cucumbers and feta was perfect-fresh for the season- octopus off the grill- roasted cauliflower- my go to in whitestoneSpecial Features:
- Joe DOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2013Great food and service. A must for greek food lovers. Staff is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have dined at EXO manyhcmomDined on 8/24/2013We have dined at EXO many times. The food is always outstanding. What does varie is the service. We loved dining outside, it was a perfect night, but the service, while not awful, there were still times we had to flag people down for water. Also, appetizers came quickly but we had a long wait for main dishes.Special Features:
- Waitress staffBklynSassyGirlDined on 8/17/2013The restaurant only has 1 waitress for the entire restaurant. So when it began to get busy, ppl. We're waiting long periods of time for service, which I overheard some tables complaining about. We were having dessert/ espresso by this time so it did not affect us. If they had at least 2 more wait staff members, I would have given them 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent selection, highOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/4/2013Excellent selection, high quality food and very friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating Mom's 70th BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2013We were a party of 10, celebrating my mom's 70th birthday. I'm so glad we picked Exo! The service was amazing!! The food was outstanding! A must for all to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Lunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2013We were one of only two parties there for lunch so it was quiet. The food was excellent as was the service. Definitely a repeat spot for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUR FIRST TIME THERE AND THEREMICHAELVIPDined on 7/24/2013OUR FIRST TIME THERE AND THERE WAS ONE WAITRESS AND ONE BUSBOY FOR THE ENTIRE PLACE INSIDE & OUTSIDE.. NEEDLESS TO SAY THE SERVICE WAS SO SLOW.... BUT... BUT... BUT.... THE FOOD AND PRESENTATION WAS INCREDIDLE AND WORTH GOING BACK FOR.. WE LATER LEARNED THE THE MANAGER WAS HOURS LATE (8:30pm) WHICH IS WHY THE SERVICE WAS SO SLOW.. WE WILL GIVE IT ANITHER TRY BECAUSE THE FOOD WAS SO GOOD..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally good food in thneighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2013The food was very tasty, and the menu was varied. We ate in the enclosed patio and the noise level was very loud, especially fir a Monday night. The Service was a bit slow but I don't think they anticipate the number of people that showed up. I would definitely recommend this to friends and family and would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2013My husband and I love dining at Exo. It's a great neighborhood spot. The waiters are friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. The food is executed well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.BirthdayDined on 6/22/2013When we went in there were no other customers and they would not sit us somewhere else (the sun was hitting our eyes and they put us next to pipes, wires, sound system and this machine sticking out of the wall). Fine, we sat and ordered. Our main waiter was nice, friendly and knew his specials but the rest of the staff was mediocre at best. The food came and was a huge disappointment. Everything was too salty or too oily, over cooked or burnt, and the quality of their produce and vegetables were horrid. Might have been my high expectation because it was recommended by a friend, but I definitely will not go back. Don't act like a high class restaurant when you serve low class food.
- Great neighborhood findEstelleVIPDined on 6/20/2013It's a charming little place, the food was great nd the staff was just warm and wonderful . Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceTomODined on 6/15/2013The staff was all smiles. James, our waiter was friendly and knew all the menu items and specials without a cheat sheet. Without prompting he brought out three bottles of wine to sample. So while my wife chose wine, he recommended one of their many draft beers that came in an extra tall mug for me. The grilled octopus was tender and flavorful, better than calamari. The salad with apples, figs and goat cheese was also fresh and provided a wild variety of taste experiences. My wife's lamb chops were exceptional and my salmon was thick but light. We were too full to try any dessert. Hint: Choose "tap" when asked so you won't be surprised to pay $6.50 each for your water. The thought "new favorite restaurant" did come to mind.Special Features:
- Service at Exo left much toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2013Service at Exo left much to be desired. Were asked on 3 different occasions if we ordered more pita bread (we had not), brought 2 different dishes we didn't order at various times throughout our meal, we never actually met our waiter, (flagged down a neighboring waiter, were left unattended for 20 mins after being sat) & all-in-all the food was just "okay." Loved the feta & potato croquets & the saganaki, but mussells were fishy & grilled chick pea salad, tasteless. Sangria was flowing all night (they ran out of pitchers... it wasn't a full house), had we been more sober, would definitely have left! A saving grace, the back patio is beautiful & really has potential. Hopefully it was an "off" night, however we won't be back to let you know!Special Features:
- has consistency & execution issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/27/2013food is slightly better than your average Greek restaurants. That being said, it has has consistency & execution issues.
- I had made the reservationlu109Dined on 5/26/2013I had made the reservation for brunch and received confirmation. 2 hours prior to reservation, I received a phone call saying they weren't serving brunch. We decided to go anyway. There was a bridal shower taking place (which was also not mentioned), but the staff was able to keep everyone happy, and the party did not disturb the regular diners. The food was very good. I have been to EXO for Brunch and dinner. The lunch was the same quality. We were not rushed and a good time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ManagerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/22/2013John the Manager was amazing! His welcoming approach made the evening an exceptional experience. Great care and customer service. His enthusiasm was evident. He enjoys his job and you enjoy the evening. He made excellent food recommendations. Food was delicious. Outdoor seating is unique for the neighborhood. Overall an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A SurpriseBcatsmomDined on 5/14/2013We were very pleasantly surprised during our recent visit for my husband's birthday. The food was excellent especially the Tiger shrimp appetizer. the Triple souvlaki plate was also a hit. We were, however disappointed with the mahi mahi which was on special. The serving was small and stuffed with I have no clue what since we were not told when offered it. It seemed to be very overpriced for what we received. On the whole we enjoyed our visit and finding out we had a lovely bistro in our neighborhood. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modest menu boasts big flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013The food at Exo is really very good. Dishes are plated nicely and the flavors are great. I had the octopus, which was unbelievably tender and buttery. The souvlaki sandwich was tasty, but ok, The fries it cames with though...soooooo good. They had been bathed in olive oil, and trust me, that's a good thing. Also, make sure you leave room for dessert and get the chocolate souffle. You won't be sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.