420 Emerson Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.evvia.net/
- Phone: 6503260983
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accommodate large parties. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Panos Gogonas 6503260983
A word from Evvia
Sister restaurant of Kokkari, Evvia has been serving beautiful and elegant Greek cuisine since 1995. Fabulous fish, savory roasted meats, and sun-soaked vegetables are jazzed up with a spritz of lemon, a little olive oil, and herbs. There is perfection in simplicity.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Evvia - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Evvia reviews from OpenTable diners
279 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (192)special occasion (172)neighborhood gem (115)romantic (91)notable wine list (90)hot spot (85)great for lunch (76)good for groups (74)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great find!foodloverDined on 9/13/2014This was our first time at this lovely restaurant for a special occasion. We loved the food, being vegetarian, good appetizer choices, the spanokopita was excellent, and so was the tzatziki sauce with pita, the classic horiatiki salad, the grilled artichoke hearts and eggplant were delicious! Our waiter was very knowledgeable and offered good wine suggestions, helped us with veg choices. The Melitzanosalata (eggplant spread) fell short of our expectations, but the dessert Galaktoboureko more than made up for that one slip. The other issue we noticed was the hostess was unfriendly and stiff and the seating was not perfect - 3 of us were made to sit in a 2 person table.Special Features:
- UnusualAnthonyWVIPDined on 9/11/2014Lunch was unusual for Evvia today. We sat down at noon, took a little time to decide what to eat, but the food came out at 1:15pm. Tue special fish for the day, although tasty, was extremely bony. Probably a bad choice for a special that day for a place that hosts a lot of business lunches.
- lunch time feedbackDad4twoDined on 9/4/2014We had lunch at Evvia twice recently. The menu is the same as the dinner menu (and the prices too). Service at lunch time needs some improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in the USLeslieVIPDined on 9/3/2014I've never enjoyed a Greek restaurant better than Evvia. It is utterly authentic. The service is superb.Special Features:
- Same food& menu for past 14 years!FaraVIPDined on 9/2/2014Expensive Taseless food. Appetizers are better. Used to have food at Evvia a lot but not anymore.
- Sweet spot in Palo Alto!dutchchickie38Dined on 8/30/2014Absolutely loved our dining experience at Evvia! The service we received here was impeccable from start to finish. Would definitely dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy eating thereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/30/2014We always enjoy an opportunity to eat at Evvia. It's usually impossible to get a table there on short notice, the reason being, of course, the quality of the food and the pleasant service. In particular we enjoy the fish entree dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best greek foodDK123Dined on 8/30/2014The food at Evvia is amazing. I am Greek and have been to Greece and the food at Evvia is the best Greek food I've had. A little pricey but worth it for special occasions. I've never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in the areaAF65Dined on 8/28/2014Great food, very fast and efficient service, great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Happy birthday evening could not have selected a better place. Introduced on Check Please Bay Area a few weeks ago when the birthday girl said we should go for her birthday. Loving husband made reservations right away and luckily got them for her night. Hostess was stunning and professional. Waitress was top class all evening, she made suggestions from appetizers, mains and also assisted with our wine selection. Food was amazing, served promptly and hot and most importantly delicious. Everything we ordered was excellent. A.little pricey but would go again in a minute. Best evening out. since my birthday in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food; Avoid Lunch at NoonOccasionalDinerDined on 8/28/2014Our work unit went out for a special lunch, and decided on Evvia. It was the first visit for most of the group. Our reservation was at noon, and we were seated at a very nice round table near the front of the restaurant. What can I say? The food was delicious, the waiter was top notch, but the place was packed and it was almost impossible for us to hear each other speak. Fortunately, we took our time over our delicious meal, and realized that by a little after one the restaurant noise level became quite manageable. So...note to self: go to lunch a little later, and have a more enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mediterranean food!experimentalchefDined on 8/25/2014A bit busy, so make sure you make reservations ahead of time.. The food and service is absolutely wonderful.. We ordered a lot of appetizers and skipped the main and then ordered bunch of desserts as it was my birthday celebration.. Loved the Pistachio ice-cream with pastry filled with custard!! yumm!!! The waiter even discounted one of the dessert because it was a b'day special from the house! How sweet :) Totally would visit again for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- EvviaMom05112014Dined on 8/24/2014Ths was our first time dining at Evvia. The service was very good. Our waiter took the time to explaing the menu selections to us. He was very attentive without being overly attentive. Our food was delicious. We had the stuffed grape leave and prawns for appetizers and the salmon for the main course. The wine list was very interesting but a little pricey. I think this was a great restaurant. Very nice atmosphere. We are looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Meh plusOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014This is supposed to be the best restaurant in Palo Alto. It is pleasant and the food is very fresh and nicely prepared. I did not find it amazing on any level except its high cost.
- Great food!ShrehaDined on 8/21/2014Evvia has great food and is very well known for their lamb dishes. The ambiance is loud (only because the restaurant is always full) but romantic. Service can be a bit slow since the restaurant is always busy. Be sure to take out at least 1.5 hours to feast here. The food is very delicious and flavorful! As a vegetarian, I ordered their vegetarian ravioli which was very unique (have you ever had soupy ravioli!?) and the vegetables were very fresh. Definitely try this spot out!Special Features:
- best restaurant in palo altochortlevork88Dined on 8/21/2014Evvia's food and ambience feels elegantly, authentically Greek, but evinces a mastery of contemporary gastronomics and design. Every corner of the menu is exceptionally strong, but standouts include the eggplant artichoke souvlaki (appetizers), the grilled and rotisserie specials including whole fish (entrees), the galaktoboureko with pistachio ice cream, and the rice pudding with roast peach (dessert). Evvia is simply one of my favorite places to eat in the Bay Area, and this meal confirmed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticAmandaVIPDined on 8/19/2014The food was amazing, most of it recommended by our waiter. We tried various appetizers, fish entrees, and a lamb entree. All were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palo Alto's finest!!PAfoodieDined on 8/19/2014I love Evvia. Food is always wonderful especially any fish or lamb dish, hard to decide. Great first courses too which are great to share. Entree servings are quite generous and I had no room for dessert as a result. Service is perfect, friendly and attentive but not overbearing. Servers seem happy to be there and know the menu well as well as wine list. Evvia is always packed so very vibrant, ranging from families celebrating to business dinners. Decor is nice, love seeing the big open grill. Evvia has been in Palo Alto for 19 years which is testimony in a town where restaurants turn over rapidly. My only criticism is wine list is very pricey, some more moderate selections would be welcome.Special Features:
- LambPort63VIPDined on 8/17/2014Please go back to Calif Lamb, I don't like the gamy taste of Australian Lamb, I know it's cheaper .Special Features:
- phcesqphcesqDined on 8/15/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Great food and service. (Wine a tad pricey but what else is new.)Special Features:
- WonderFULL evening at Evvia!2plushalfDined on 8/14/2014All the staff were super friendly with us and especially our 16-month-old son, food was excellent of course! This is our 2nd time back, everything was still the same, food, services, and the ambience, just excellence!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tlachi47Dined on 8/14/2014The dessert's were divine, plum tart & ice cream was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we went!chigDined on 8/10/2014Love the décor. Good food. Friendly environment. A little noisy sitting near the kitchen area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little DisappointedShadroeDined on 8/9/2014The staff and waiter were great. I had the lamb shank and while it fell off the bone the taste was a little bland. My wife had the Bronzino and again nothing special. Maybe our taste buds were off that night. Loved the feel of the place and the staff was great. I wanted to love the food but didn't really get there.Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinnerhubby4babaDined on 8/8/2014Ok, every husband knows the feeling. It's you are and your wife's special day and you've been so busy that there's no plans on the docket. So what's a guy to do? First, you figure out where's there's somewhere good enough to take her for dinner. It can't be anywhere, however. It's got to be some place really good. No, strike that -- some place great. Well, after searching for the best spots, this restaurant's name appeared. I thought, 'this could work out well.' Sure enough, it did. I booked the reservation for 9:30 pm. It was a Friday night so downtown was crawling with people, mostly younger. We parked, walked to the restaurant and arrived on time. We checked in and were seated in a semi-intimate table at the back. My wife loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/7/2014Evvia is perhaps Palo Alto's best restaurant for lunch, as the food and service are both very very good. My party enjoyed the Spanakopitropita, lamb meatball, Evvia salad, and chicken Souvlaki. Our waitress and busboy were most attentive and went to great efforts to make sure that we were never without water, ice tea, or bread. It is essential to make reservations at Evvia well in advance, as the wait for walk-ins can be long. Evvia is an excellent choice for lunch or dinner when in downtown Palo Alto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A meal fit for a queenPrincessVIPDined on 8/7/2014The three of us had their outstanding lamb sandwich on delicious homemade pita bread. I can still taste the fabulous flavors of this meal. The plating was beautiful, and the service perfect. I'll be back again for lunch and of course for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2014As usual, food was very good, waiter exceptional. However, they removed one of my favorite items on the menu and it's replacement was not up to par: the lamb/beef burger, which used to be exceptionally tasty, had been transformed into something barely edible, with a "harracha" sauce and some kind of Greek cheese (begins with a "k") - not at all tasty. Plus it used to be served with their fantastic house-made thick sliced pita, which along with the (old) lamb burger and tzatski sauce, was "to-die-for". They replaced the pita with a flat bread - very ordinary and did nothing to add to the dish. In addition, I don't know that much about Mediterranean food, but this dish was served with very thinly sliced onion rings (?!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a nice dinnerfoodmvrikDined on 8/6/2014First things first we are vegetarians, though the there was only one Veg entree on the menu the appetizers did the trick. They have a nice starter collection and it was delicious. Heirloom tomato soup was awesome and so was the Argula salad, Dolmas & Pita. Service was excellent, warm and professional staff. Though tables were close we had our privacy. Everybody at the restaurant was celebrating some event..Looks like a winner for that.Special Features:
- Consistently great!WwadlowDined on 8/6/2014Having dined at Evvia half a dozen times, I have only plaudits for the consistently good food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for reunionFood4ThoughtsDined on 8/4/2014We booked a table for 6 to entertain friends from other countries. The dishes we ordered were octopus, lamb riblet and beets for starters and 5 mains to share. Wonderful tasting experience. Needless to say, our friends were impressed. Considering its 28 points from Zagat, the meal certainly is worthy of every dollar we paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for Group LunchAnonymousDined on 8/4/2014We were a group of 7 for lunch and had an awesome experience at Evvia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating experienceHappy2Dined on 8/2/2014The restaurant was busy but still had plenty of attention from the staff. The waiter explained the choices of food well, was good humoured and did not rush us throughout the evening. Have already recommended the restaurant to others and will return soon for another enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- oldfaartDined on 8/2/2014Wow, was the food good. I need to return. The note obviously taken from the reservation-confirmation call were actually read by the waiter and personalized directly. That's what I'm talking about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!firstimehereDined on 7/31/2014Good service, first time trying Greek food and although our total bill added up to a pretty expensive amount, the food was top quality. Lamb shank was perfect and tender, dessert was delicious, wine was good. Very nice ambiance for a romantic dinner and I appreciated that our waiter was polite and made great food recommendations, yet still gave us space to talk and eat without being intrusive. Overall great place, would definitely good again and have already recommended to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed...average Greek foodluv2travelDined on 7/27/2014Perhaps, as former Chicagoans used to amazing Greek food, we have different standards. Or expected too much from #1 rated and quite pricey Palo Alto restaurant, but disappointed on our first visit. Pros: Free parking across street. Wonderful atmosphere. Attentive service. Cons: Appetizer portions small. Entrees disappointing. Should have paid greater heed to our waiter who said 'Some customers don't like lamb because it's gamey.' We love lamb and assumed it was 'non-lamb lovers' who felt this way. But, the lamb was indeed gamey and the orzo bland. Goat stew was a bad choice all-together, with a peculiar flavor. As a menu special it should have been much better. Not sure if we would return. If so, would definitely order differently.
- Pricey and worth every pennymikeyDined on 7/27/2014Food and service was outstanding. I was in Palo Alto for a matinee concert and heard this place was good. There was a spot open early at 5:30 so I booked it. Reserve early because the place was packed. There was a large and very friendly staff who constantly circulated so every need was filled quickly. Special requests were granted no problem. I had some wonderfully moist rotisserie chicken while visiting Greece several years ago. Evvia's brought back those good memories! Try the octopus appetizer. The lamb chops were yummy! I live in San Francisco, so Palo Alto is quite a drive. Lucky for me, there's a sister restaurant right here, which I plan on visiting often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yurikaneDined on 7/27/2014It's a great restaurant. I have been to Kokkari SF as well. This is as good as Kokkari.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We have dined here often and it is always a treat. The staff are accommodating and the food is consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/25/2014The octopus appetizer was quite pricey for the quantity and the quality (kind of mushy around the edges). But the Branzino was delicious! The moussaka was also very good. Our waiter was quite nice and informative, but the service was VERY slow. Even though we told him that we had a play to attend and what time we needed to leave, there was no time for dessert. And it was very hard to hear our dinner companions over the ambient noise.Special Features: