440 South LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.everestrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 663-8920
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Friday: 5:30 - 9:30; Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jean Joho
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Everest
Soaring above Chicago's skyline on the 40th floor of One Financial Place and under the culinary direction of Chef/Owner Jean Joho, Everest serves some of Chicago's finest personalized cuisine. "Though the restaurant has a spectacular unobstructed cityscape as a backdrop, the food is what commands attention," said Chicago Magazine, which has voted Everest four stars for the tenth year in a row, since Everest opened.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Everest reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (99)scenic view (95)notable wine list (80)fit for foodies (79)romantic (79)good for groups (10)hot spot (6)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent dining experienceChicagovisitorDined on 11/15/2014The tasting menu was delicious! My favorite was the foie gras with the Alsace spice cake, and it had the perfect wine paired with it. Great service, great view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best meal in ChicagoDiningSnobDined on 11/7/2014There are very few places in the world that can top Everest! From its amazing food to the phenomenal service and view, Everest is a true dining experience. We celebrated our 22 wedding anniversary and went back in time to Le Royal Champagne in Epernay, France during our honeymoon. You start with impeccable service that is friendly and informative with NO air of arrogance. Then the food arrives and there is no comparison for flavor and taste as every dish seems better than the last. And if you are a wine fanatic or just love good wine, their list is so deep and comprehensive with a full range of prices and choices. It will be an evening you never forgot and you will want to return as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Good, not great...below expectations.MikeDined on 11/7/2014Everest has a great ambience, spectacular view, and the service is excellent. The menu has a dated feel about it. The food was disappointing, especially the Dover sole. Not good value for money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at EverestsecondtimeDined on 11/5/2014We had occasion to dine here 9 years ago and were very much anticipating this dinner. The food did not disappoint. All was prepared and presented very well. However, the service seemed to have changed since our first experience. The first time we were well taken care of by a friendly and interactive staff that made us feel appreciated. This visit was totally different. We found ourselves with a dish of butter without bread, pouring our own wine which we also selected without any guidance from the staff. The room was only half full of diners, and plenty of staff around, but we felt that they were all doing everything and that left everything to chance. In summary, we would recommend for the wonderful food, not so much the service.Special Features:
- GaryVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food and service are outstanding. Meals are wonderful and served with grace and elegance. The chef is undoubtedly one of the best in the city of Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet nightFlutefinDined on 10/29/2014It was Wednesday night, there were only 2 table of customers at 6. Food is great. View is awesome. Don't know why it was so quietSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All you expect from fine dinning.gothisownDined on 10/25/2014I recalled Andre Soltner's Lutece of the seventies in New York. The Alsatian wine pairings were appropriate for each course. My guests and I found Everest to be all we had wanted our dinning experience to be. The Negroni cocktail was perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant dininggarbanzoDined on 10/25/2014Incomparable dining at all levels:ambiance, dining, imagination of chef,remarkable service,quiet, elegant, & sets the standard for all others, very few of which can come even close!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the climbdrinkeatdrinkDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I celebrated our 44th anniversary last Saturday at Everest and it was truly one of the best dinners we have ever had. We were greeted with a warm Happy Anniversary by the Hostess and our Server. We didn't get the window table I requested when I made the reservation, but we can't all get what we want. The dining room was very elegant and warm, but paled in comparison to the cuisine. Everything was really outstanding, but I do want to give a special shout out to the Foie Gras, and the Duck Breast. EXCELLENT. I would highly recommend Everest for any special dinning occasion. Well worth the climb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Classic French CuisineDSWALWDined on 10/25/2014We were extremely impressed with the classical French cuisine at Everest. Each dish we had was a masterpiece. We recommend the Alsatian specialties. The wine list is also a joy for a foodie. And the service was what you would expect from a Michelin stared restaurant. The chef deserves praise and respect for offering such a classic menu of French gastronomy. You may think the view from the 40th floor is spectacular, but wait until you enjoy the food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Just amazing. Did the chefs tasting menu with wine pairings. Service was impeccable. Timing of courses was perfect. Very expensive but worth it if you have the means.Special Features:
- World class cuisine! $10 cup of teaTheaterFanaticVIPDined on 10/24/2014I could not speak more highly of the food and I dine from Paris to London to NYC in the best of them. The food is exquisite. However, when I reviewed the detailed bill at home, I discovered I had paid $10 for every cup of tea (and a glass of iced tea) and $8.50 for a cup of coffee. With a $2,800 tab (with gratuity), I am a bit outraged at that sort of price gouging. I may consider that my last visit despite the great food, great wine, view and ambiance. It's not the cost, considering what I have spent, but the principle. Really? I know what a tea bag costs and I do not think the restaurant can possibly justify this insult.Special Features:
- World Class DiningNpsych5095Dined on 10/23/2014Everest provides a dining experience of the highest order. It never fails its own exceptionalism. It is a can't miss when dining in Chicago.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014First time visit. This was a Wonderful dining experience. We really enjoyed it. Spectacular view and sunset. Timing was accidentally "perfect". Not necessarily the easiest to find.Special Features:
- davidDined on 10/18/2014only that we have wait 30 minutes fot the table 9:30 p.m. was everything great. The table then was in the middel and at the window! Fantastic!!!! Nice viewSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnificenttopeyedocVIPDined on 10/18/2014Unbelievable. Magnificent decor, service, view, food. An experience for a lifetime.Special Features:
- ServiceFoodiemanDined on 10/18/2014the service was inconsistent and very slow. This was a very annoying factor that made the experience far less than ideal and caused us upset and stress. 3 hours with long waits for the server was a big problem because management just didn't have enough help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experienceDoveDined on 10/18/2014A truly wonderful dinner experience of 9 courses with superbly paired wines, wonderful atmosphere and unmatched service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everets experienceJosevargas1Dined on 10/16/2014Incredible attention with an amazing wine list and delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiefromSFVIPDined on 10/16/2014I have been to this wonderful restaurant twice and found both visits to be memorable in terms of the complete experience. The one area where the restaurant fails badly is after dinner when it is time to locate a taxi. The staff calls a taxi service but there is never a taxi waiting when finally making it back to ground level. At the price point of this restaurant, they could surely afford a better departure experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as they think they areOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Huge wine list but very overpriced Food was average, not as special as they claim, and also overpriced Service is amazing, knowledgeable well trained staff Atmosphere is very dull Getting there is not friendly either, 2 elevator rides, poorly marked... Not recommendedSpecial Features:
- Everest is tops!LionessVIPDined on 10/10/2014Amazing view, outstanding staff and elegant ambiance. It comes at a price but worthwhile for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fortunate findOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/10/2014I was in Chicago on business from San Francisco. I really enjoy fine food and am not hung up about eating alone, even in very nice restaurants. The staff was incredibly welcoming, offered me reading materials, and made me feel very much at ease. I had the testing menu with the wine pairings and found it all stunning - of course, it's always nicest to share a meal with someone, but my ability to concentrate, uninterrupted, on everything they served made the experience transcendent. It was probably the most expensive meal for one I've every sprung for, but it was well worth it. I've dined at the French Laundry and many other highly rated California and New York French restaurants, and I'd certainly place Everest in the same echelon.Special Features:
- TennismikeDined on 10/7/2014Very good but not value for money. Wine list 4x retailSpecial Features:
- Unbelievably goodMrPantsDined on 10/7/2014I am in complete awe of the food + service + ambiance at Everest. My wife and I had dinner here on the last evening of our recent stay in Chicago, and I am extremely happy that we did. We arrived quite early, but we were the first diners in that evening; they were happy to seat us right away. It helped that it was a weeknight - the restaurant is not large at all (note: does not feel small, though, thanks to mirrors and the spectacular 40th floor view). If you can afford an expensive ($200-$300+) dinner for a special occasion, please do yourself a favor and go here at least once in your lifetime. In my opinion, the experience and food is worth the price. I don't have room to describe everything but suffice it to say IT WAS AMAZING.Special Features:
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Wonderful food and incredible view. Didn't do the tasting menu but wish wish we had. Outstanding food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to reputation!JessicaVIPDined on 10/3/2014Excellent cuisine, excellent wine, beautiful view, and excellent service combined to make our celebratory dinner at Everest a wonderfully memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceMidwesternerDined on 9/27/2014This is a great restaurant. Very high-end. Food, service, wine list all were excellent. A wonderful spot for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014All I can say, one of the best places I've been service-wise & excellent dishes.Special Features:
- Great view and excellent service.shanghaijbVIPDined on 9/26/2014Going to Everest does feel like a time capsule (2014 Michelin Guide review). Entering the desolate Chicago Stock Exchange at night, rising to the 40th floor, and walking the tiny carpeted corridor into the restaurant to finally reach Everest's art deco interiors is its own experience. Food was good but richer than we expected. We made the mistake to take the 4-course menu, which includes 2 starters. That was way too much food for us, we were stuffed, and it altered our food experience. However, service was excellent, and the wine that the sommelier recommended was outstanding. Everest succeeds to be both grand (the view) and intimate (the setting and service). I will go back, but I will choose lighter dishes, and only the 3-course menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Fine French DiningGlenviewDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014(very quiet -- the rating for noise level is 'broken' and should be only one bar) Lovely environment of fine dining. Classic French menu, with the rich, buttery sauces your waistline will chide you about. But if you have a special occasion and want to be pampered, you'll dine and drink well at Everest. Ask for a window table if dining at sunset, the view is beautiful, even once it gets dark and you see the headlights coming downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the WorldTonyBDined on 9/20/2014Everest meets expectations with food that is beautifully prepared but not ridiculously over the top. Attentive service: we were never rushed and never ignored. We arrived almost a half hour early, but they were delighted to see us and sat us at an excellent table immediately. I had the sea bass as a main course. I generally don't order fish, but this was excellent. The flavor of the fish was not overwhelmed by te preparation, but complimented by it. This included gently sautéed delicate calamari. Appetizers were inventive and ranged from the deeply rich and intense (fois gras) to the delicate (oysters with cucumbers). Extensive wine list with some splits and some 'by the glass.' If you love good food, this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occassion GemGGPPDined on 9/20/2014Very nice restaurant for a special occasion. Great service and wonderful food. Seating and view are great if you are by a window. Much less so if you are not.Special Features:
- Ne plus ultraorthoepistDined on 9/20/2014Everest has got to be not just one of Chicago's finest but also one of the world's great restaurants. Civility is the order of the day here from beginning to end. Service by the gracious and unobtrusive staff is well-timed and choreographed, and the food is superb. The Magret of Mulard Duck was the best I have ever had and has set a new standard for comparison. Away from "restaurant row" and trendy, overhyped places that so often disappoint in so many ways, Everest is the real thing. For overall experience - ambience, service, view, and especially the food - this gem of a restaurant gets my highest recommendation.Special Features:
- Family Birthday CelebrationFoodieKarenDined on 9/20/2014We had two children, 7 and 13. We were very worried about how our 7 year old would do. They do not have a children's menu but the chef catered to him. He ate (or at least tried) everything they brought him. Everyone in our group loved there choices and the view was amazing. I highly recommend Everest.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014The food was amazing, the staff was even better. I saw a review that said the staff was stuffy. I found them personable. They performed the wine pairings and really were enthusiastic about their work. My only ding is finding this place. That was a pain and when we left, there was no one to tell us where they put the car. Found it by walking around lot. The window was open with keys inside. That seems reasonable in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately disappointedFondellFunDined on 9/19/2014We had been here 13 years earlier when I was pregnant with our first child. So, I did not get to enjoy the wine list ;-) We decided that for our anniversary special occasion we would return. I looked forward to a really good bottle of wine. The wine we selected was corked -- no big deal. However, the sommelier did not acknowledge that it was bad. She shared she had tried it but that was all. She then agreed it was bad once we said something. At a high end restaurant I expect more. The food was nice but the service was okay. We waited a bit at the beginning and then toward the end it appeared we had a lot of people hovering around us but clearly they forgot what course we were on. Wanted to enjoy but won't go back.Special Features:
- Spectacular!!!PrettyfirstDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I chose Everest to celebrate both of our birthdays, which are within one week of each other. Everest is a perfect choice: elegant, beautiful, delicious, with world class service. I would most certainly recommend this restaurant to others, and we will undoubtedly fine at Everest again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luxury dining worth the high priceTheaterFanaticVIPDined on 9/19/2014The Everest Room is the place to go if you are looking for caviar, foie gras, pricey but delicious food, and a terrific wine list. They were terrific t helping us make our deadline for the Joffrey Ballet -- although it would have been nice to have had more time for a leisurely experience. The view of the city was lovely. Expect a costly tab. If you are prepared for that, you will find it worthy of the expenditure.Special Features:
- Yet another extraordinary nightElleontableDined on 9/18/2014We were the first to the restaurant right when it opened at 5:30, and the restaurant team greeted us knowing what we were celebrating, and sat us at possibly one of the best seats in the restaurant. We were so impressed and grateful for it. Service was outstanding, the food was outstanding, there was nothing I would complain. Restaurant was very classy, upscale, and romantic. What a wonderful night!Special Features: