Evening Star Cafe
2000 Mt. Vernon Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22301Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Evening Star Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eveningstarcafe.net/
- Phone: (703) 549-5051
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:30-9:00pm,Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Friday 11:30-2:30 pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00-2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Jeffords
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For those who have enjoyed dining with us at Evening Star and wish to have us cater your next event, we are pleased to partner with 550 Events & Provisions, a chef-driven, full-service catering and events company. As a member of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s family of award-winning restaurants, 550 possesses an unparalleled depth and breadth of experience, as well as culinary talent. For inquiries and more information, contact 550 Events & Provisions at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs No. 9 Lounge is available for private parties. Equipped with a full-service bar, the No.9 can accommodate up to 50 people for a seated dinner and more than 100 guests standing. Full menu and catering are available. For private event inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Rebecca Chuvalas x
A word from Evening Star Cafe
Located in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, between Old Town and Crystal City, the Evening Star Cafe is known for exceptional food, friendly but professional service and an inviting 'retro chic and funky' atmosphere. Both a classic neighborhood restaurant and a destination for diners throughout the Washington Metropolitan area, the Evening Star features sophisticated and eclectic American food, one of the region's most appealing and best-priced wine lists, and two separate lounges.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Evening Star Cafe - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Evening Star Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (99)fit for foodies (73)great for outdoor dining (36)notable wine list (30)hot spot (23)great for brunch (20)special occasion (19)vibrant bar scene (19)romantic (18)kid-friendly (11)good for groups (9)great for lunch (5)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/16/2014Service was fab, as usual. Food was a little off this time. Wedge salad had way too much dill in the dressing and my gnocchi were really dense. My boyfriend ordered the fried chicken and liked it, but he asked for a substitution (brussel sprouts instead of collard greens) and there was a $2 charge. I mean, really?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWingchairDined on 11/14/2014Went there for our anniversary. Reservations were definitely required so we're happy open table is around! The service was excellent, wait staff were really friendly and helpful. The food was delicious. The menu is not large which suits me just fine. I don't thing you can go wrong with any of their selections. For dessert, the apple cobbler for two was most definitely worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little off...............gabfestDined on 11/8/2014We came for a girls night out bday celebration. I had not been here for years & we really enjoyed the ambiance & service. We started with fried green tomatoes app. which came with 3 skimpy slices very little sauce on top. I had the fried chicken which is one of their specialties , it was smothered in gravy. I thought the seasonings were a little off & I think it consisted of thigh meat. My friend got the fried salmon, she said it was very good. For dessert we got grasshopper ice box pie which although refreshing was more like a mousse. I didn't see any crust in there. For the price, I was disappointed in the food quality & content. It also tends to be a little loud, noise level carries over from the bar, however, service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014Everything was great except dessert. Both desserts were not good AT ALL and this was the second experience with bad dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid restaurant in Del RayvictoriaVIPDined on 11/5/2014We usually come to Evening Star for brunch, so going for dinner was a first for us. The menu, though not extensive, was pretty solid. Everything we ordered was very good, and the service is outstanding as usual. Our server was this pleasant guy with a long, full beard (I forget his name). He gave us great recommendations on the food and drink and poured us more water even after we had already paid our bill and were lingering on the table chatting away. Will definitely go again!Special Features:
- Always GoodCowgirlVIPDined on 11/2/2014The food at Evening Star is consistently good and never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014It was a little loud, but that's to be expected at prime dinner time. Everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014Food and service have consistently been good but the wine list needs to be updatedSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable not sterlingbigpantsDined on 10/25/2014We had a very nice time. Food was good, service friendly, ambiance pleasant, although noisy. Excellent octopus appetizer, bland iceberg wedges. Entrees were good but did not shine. Shrimp and grits drowned in a tomato sauce, shrimp slightly underdone. Apple cobbler was excellent. Overall a very nice neighborhood experience, somewhat below downtown bistro quality.Special Features:
- Great as always!CameronDined on 10/25/2014We love Evening Star! Every dish is always perfection!Special Features:
- DCDinerDined on 10/23/2014Evening Star is a cozy but lively neighborhood gem. Quirky art pieces and lighting add to the warmth. Service is quick, friendly. Food is a fresh, imaginative take on Southern favorites. Fried chicken was very good. Pumpkin soup was tasty but came out lukewarm. Small breads were delicious. Would gladly return.Special Features:
- good food, priced fairlyDaveDined on 10/20/2014Had a late dinner at Evening Star and thought the food was great. My duck was cooked perfectly, and the sweet potato roll they start you with was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Del Ray favoritegreat4greekDined on 10/18/2014We've been dining here for years. It keeps getting better! The service has always been grand, and now the food matches it. Seasonal choices, small plates for me, and entrees for my husband. Wine list is great, thanks to the wine shop next door. If you have to wait, grab a beer or cocktail from the adjoining neighborhood bar. The dessert menu could use some work, and we would welcome the addition of espresso at the end of the meal--they only offer regular coffee. If you're looking for a quiet dining experience, this is NOT your place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Cute ambiance. Food was good, service was good except that our server disappeared for a while. Otherwise, good food and serviceI would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, nice serviceBrianDined on 10/12/2014The food was thougtfully prepared, but there was far too much salt on the salmon and buttermilk fried chicken , which was also far too HOT with too much cayenne pepper. The beet salad was uneventful, no seasoning, that the beets just tasted like canned beets. I wasn't as impressed as our past visits as the food seemed lacking something it had in the past. Maybe we just hit an off night. Service was very attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itlbee4Dined on 10/11/2014We went with a group of seven for a birthday dinner. Loved the food and the staff was hip and so nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found it!!WanderlustDined on 10/9/2014Ben, our server, did a great job with a great attitude. Food for all was very good. Wish we had this place in Charleston, SC where we are from!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemspincycleDined on 10/4/2014You must try the fried brie - it is absolutely amazing. Also fantastic are the mac n cheese, steak frites, and the sweet potato muffins! Fun and eclectic décor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely special occasion spotohhithereDined on 9/27/2014So much love for Evening Star! It's on the pricier side, so we don't go very much, but for special occasions it's perfect! The food is always delicious and very interesting. I always try a new wine because I know they'll recommend something lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Star Almost Always a WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014Evening Star is a fun restaurant. Definitely a popular spot with good food to match and I look forward to dinners there. The atmosphere is relatively casual, there's a cool wine store adjoining the dining room and an outdoor patio style bar too. The menu skews southern and while the dishes don't usually blow you away, they're solid across the board. Steak Frites, pork chop, shrimp and grits are all favs. My only real complaint is that the kitchen can be really slow at times. Not sure if it's cause they're slammed, but it's been quite noticeable on a few visits. Sometimes to the point where a manager has been over to apologize. The main dining room, while quaint, can be very loud on a busy night, so plan on speaking with a raised voice!Special Features:
- Good food served well.ThomasWayneDined on 9/25/2014Evening Star has been a Del-Ray neighborhood fixture for years, and the current menu choices, tasty food, and great service show why. Find something on the menu you love and enjoy it or try something out of your usual range and be happily surprised. Either way, any questions you have about the food items (or specialty drinks) will be thoroughly answered. We enjoyed the duck, the chicken, and shrimp & grits this last visit, and managed to save room for their chocolaty-rich and fun HoHo for dessert. Go for the cozy atmosphere and enjoy the great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level detracts from the foodCarolynnDined on 9/24/2014The food is quite good. The noise level is ridiculously loud. It is like a wave hitting you when you walk in the door. So, that definitely detracted from what should have otherwise been a good dining experience.Special Features:
- nice little bistrojimmVIPDined on 9/23/2014Had the grilled oysters with hollandaise and the smoked duck breast, which was a little salty. The wine was good. The service was excellent and they super-fortunately retrieved and held for me to return and pick up an item that had fallen out of my pocket. Located off the beaten path in a pleasant neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodcaseyDined on 9/19/2014We were dining there with friends Ford the first time after reading about the place for so long. My husband said the pork chop was the best he has ever had, and he eats them everywhere he can. My friend loved the shrimp and grits and wants to go back for more. My steak frites was only ok, the meat was fatty and the fries were under seasoned. Service was good and very friendly and the place was a good noise level so we could talk and not yell. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful, upscale spotGaryDLVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is wonderful smal gourmet establishment in the funky Del Ray section of Alexandria. Eclectic cooking and first class service in a warm and friendly atmosphere make this an excellent choice. Breast of duck with andouille sausage/wild rice is a combination of tastes that just works very well. Buttermilk fried chicken is legendary in the area and the shrimp and grits are a worthy competitor tot the standard set at downtown;s Vidalia. Inventive cocktails and decadent desserts round out a superb menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but slow serviceAndrea2014Dined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent, but the service was very slow - I had to walk inside and ask the host to find our check. There was also no lighting where we were seated outside, so we could not see our food. That being said, the ambiance (except for limited lighting) outside was very nice and we enjoyed a quiet place to talk. It seemed a little loud inside, but a very nice ambiance there as well.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014Make reservations and call ahead for outdoor seating preference if possible. Evening Star is a gem. It's quite pricey, but has a great beer menu and exceptional menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service & Fantastic FoodweheartfoodDined on 9/6/2014Great experience. Staff was very accommodating, went above and beyond to ensure my boyfriend had a special birthday. Service was attentive and professional. Food was perfect- their duck is highly recommended. Thank you for a memorable dining experience! Will be back to try their brunch menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique eateryNew2foodieDined on 9/6/2014Very unique atmosphere, although indoor temp was a little hot(many guests were sweating); has a really neat wine list from a next door wine store.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, pricey for neighborhoodoutandaboutDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food overall (particularly the pork chop). Only 'downer' was the crispy kale; tasteless. Service accommodating; we were in a rush and they moved things along. Eclectic set up with bar in back and wine shop attached.Special Features:
- Nice place.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed the pork chop and homemade biscuits! We were a little surprised to see so many young children. We would return with our family but would not return for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timerhankDined on 8/29/2014Watermelon salad was awesome as was the bread, mahi, amd salmon. Restaurant is nice inside also. Great lighting and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Read all about itVAfoodguyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great service, menu was varied and food was tasty with intriguing accents. I had the watermelon panzanella and fried chicken. Both were excellent. Loved the Bloody Mary with the grilled cheese bacon garnish at brunch and a fantastic burger and fries. Wait staff gave us just the right amount of friendly attentiveness.Special Features:
- AmazingjustbeckyDined on 8/20/2014By far one of the best dinners I have had in a very long time. I am in love with the Pork Chop! Will be back for sure :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely not Run of The MillDDP9686Dined on 8/20/2014The menu could use a few offerings that aren't so overwrought. The food is very good although a tad pricey for what you get. Not ideal for groups larger than 4 due to limited space and booth seating. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchMPMeyersVIPDined on 8/19/2014Food is always terrific and service is reliably friendly. I love having the entire neighboring wine shop to pick from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waiterhappydinerDined on 8/19/2014The food listed wine pairings. I mentioned that I prefer white or rose wine. The waiter made three different wine selections to pair with my dinner choices. All three wines were delicious. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014was there for restaurant week - thought the inclusion of a "side" was very nice.Special Features:
- Evening Star always greatFoodieDined on 8/18/2014Food was just outstanding as well as the service. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was VG; slipping servicexnyrVIPDined on 8/14/2014We are fond of Evening Star, generally a Del Ray gem, with very good food and outstanding wine, and good if not memorable service. This Thursday night we waited a long time for an outside table. When we finally sat down, that was just the beginning of a long wait for the waiter, and then for water, bread, drinks, and food. Everything was quite good once it came, but the waiter was obviously harried although there were only 3 groups eating outside. Perhaps there was something amiss with the kitchen as service was slow for everyone. We were not in a hurry and were with friends who are more patient than we are, and we were glad to spend time with them. I hope, however, that this slow service does not become a trend at Evening Star.Special Features: