Evening Star Cafe
2000 Mt. Vernon Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22301Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Evening Star Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eveningstarcafe.net/
- Phone: 7035495051x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:30-9:00pm,Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Friday 11:30-2:30 pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00-2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Jeffords
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: For those who have enjoyed dining with us at Evening Star and wish to have us cater your next event, we are pleased to partner with 550 Events & Provisions, a chef-driven, full-service catering and events company. As a member of the Neighborhood Restaurant Group’s family of award-winning restaurants, 550 possesses an unparalleled depth and breadth of experience, as well as culinary talent. For inquiries and more information, contact 550 Events & Provisions at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs No. 9 Lounge is available for private parties. Equipped with a full-service bar, the No.9 can accommodate up to 50 people for a seated dinner and more than 100 guests standing. Full menu and catering are available. For private event inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Rebecca Chuvalas x
A word from Evening Star Cafe
Located in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, between Old Town and Crystal City, the Evening Star Cafe is known for exceptional food, friendly but professional service and an inviting 'retro chic and funky' atmosphere. Both a classic neighborhood restaurant and a destination for diners throughout the Washington Metropolitan area, the Evening Star features sophisticated and eclectic American food, one of the region's most appealing and best-priced wine lists, and two separate lounges.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Evening Star Cafe - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Evening Star Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (87)fit for foodies (57)great for outdoor dining (44)notable wine list (23)special occasion (19)hot spot (17)great for brunch (16)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (13)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (4)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lovely special occasion spotohhithereDined on 9/27/2014So much love for Evening Star! It's on the pricier side, so we don't go very much, but for special occasions it's perfect! The food is always delicious and very interesting. I always try a new wine because I know they'll recommend something lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Star Almost Always a WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Evening Star is a fun restaurant. Definitely a popular spot with good food to match and I look forward to dinners there. The atmosphere is relatively casual, there's a cool wine store adjoining the dining room and an outdoor patio style bar too. The menu skews southern and while the dishes don't usually blow you away, they're solid across the board. Steak Frites, pork chop, shrimp and grits are all favs. My only real complaint is that the kitchen can be really slow at times. Not sure if it's cause they're slammed, but it's been quite noticeable on a few visits. Sometimes to the point where a manager has been over to apologize. The main dining room, while quaint, can be very loud on a busy night, so plan on speaking with a raised voice!Special Features:
- Noise level detracts from the foodCarolynnDined on 9/24/2014The food is quite good. The noise level is ridiculously loud. It is like a wave hitting you when you walk in the door. So, that definitely detracted from what should have otherwise been a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Pretty goodcaseyDined on 9/19/2014We were dining there with friends Ford the first time after reading about the place for so long. My husband said the pork chop was the best he has ever had, and he eats them everywhere he can. My friend loved the shrimp and grits and wants to go back for more. My steak frites was only ok, the meat was fatty and the fries were under seasoned. Service was good and very friendly and the place was a good noise level so we could talk and not yell. We will be back!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful, upscale spotGaryDLDined on 9/13/2014This is wonderful smal gourmet establishment in the funky Del Ray section of Alexandria. Eclectic cooking and first class service in a warm and friendly atmosphere make this an excellent choice. Breast of duck with andouille sausage/wild rice is a combination of tastes that just works very well. Buttermilk fried chicken is legendary in the area and the shrimp and grits are a worthy competitor tot the standard set at downtown;s Vidalia. Inventive cocktails and decadent desserts round out a superb menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but slow serviceAndrea2014Dined on 9/13/2014The food was excellent, but the service was very slow - I had to walk inside and ask the host to find our check. There was also no lighting where we were seated outside, so we could not see our food. That being said, the ambiance (except for limited lighting) outside was very nice and we enjoyed a quiet place to talk. It seemed a little loud inside, but a very nice ambiance there as well.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Make reservations and call ahead for outdoor seating preference if possible. Evening Star is a gem. It's quite pricey, but has a great beer menu and exceptional menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service & Fantastic FoodweheartfoodDined on 9/6/2014Great experience. Staff was very accommodating, went above and beyond to ensure my boyfriend had a special birthday. Service was attentive and professional. Food was perfect- their duck is highly recommended. Thank you for a memorable dining experience! Will be back to try their brunch menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique eateryNew2foodieDined on 9/6/2014Very unique atmosphere, although indoor temp was a little hot(many guests were sweating); has a really neat wine list from a next door wine store.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, pricey for neighborhoodoutandaboutDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food overall (particularly the pork chop). Only 'downer' was the crispy kale; tasteless. Service accommodating; we were in a rush and they moved things along. Eclectic set up with bar in back and wine shop attached.Special Features:
- Nice place.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed the pork chop and homemade biscuits! We were a little surprised to see so many young children. We would return with our family but would not return for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timerhankDined on 8/29/2014Watermelon salad was awesome as was the bread, mahi, amd salmon. Restaurant is nice inside also. Great lighting and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Read all about itVAfoodguyDined on 8/29/2014Great service, menu was varied and food was tasty with intriguing accents. I had the watermelon panzanella and fried chicken. Both were excellent. Loved the Bloody Mary with the grilled cheese bacon garnish at brunch and a fantastic burger and fries. Wait staff gave us just the right amount of friendly attentiveness.Special Features:
- AmazingjustbeckyDined on 8/20/2014By far one of the best dinners I have had in a very long time. I am in love with the Pork Chop! Will be back for sure :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely not Run of The MillDDP9686Dined on 8/20/2014The menu could use a few offerings that aren't so overwrought. The food is very good although a tad pricey for what you get. Not ideal for groups larger than 4 due to limited space and booth seating. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchMPMeyersDined on 8/19/2014Food is always terrific and service is reliably friendly. I love having the entire neighboring wine shop to pick from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waiterhappydinerDined on 8/19/2014The food listed wine pairings. I mentioned that I prefer white or rose wine. The waiter made three different wine selections to pair with my dinner choices. All three wines were delicious. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014was there for restaurant week - thought the inclusion of a "side" was very nice.Special Features:
- Evening Star always greatFoodieDined on 8/18/2014Food was just outstanding as well as the service. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was VG; slipping servicexnyrDined on 8/14/2014We are fond of Evening Star, generally a Del Ray gem, with very good food and outstanding wine, and good if not memorable service. This Thursday night we waited a long time for an outside table. When we finally sat down, that was just the beginning of a long wait for the waiter, and then for water, bread, drinks, and food. Everything was quite good once it came, but the waiter was obviously harried although there were only 3 groups eating outside. Perhaps there was something amiss with the kitchen as service was slow for everyone. We were not in a hurry and were with friends who are more patient than we are, and we were glad to spend time with them. I hope, however, that this slow service does not become a trend at Evening Star.Special Features:
- Used to be a Great RestaurantTXagsDined on 8/14/2014I have given Evening Star several chances and it continues to go downhill. This used to be one of my favorite restaurants. The food is only so-so and the service stinks. The last three times I have been there the service is incredibly slow, almost to the point of inattentive. Perhaps they are under staffed. Don't think I will give it another try.
- Fantastic Allergy AccomodationAbebabeDined on 8/13/2014The Chef and waitress did a phenomenal job checking, re-checking and creating a meal that was 100% free of my allergies. They went above and beyond.Special Features:
- Restaurant week findpmjedwardsDined on 8/12/2014Wentfor restaurant week, but will certianly go back again. The wine list is limited, but well chosen and good value, while there is an exptensive craft beer list. We took the prix-fixe meal, which had items from the regular menu. The dishes were tasty and well executed with the only complaint being too many fries. (Yes, that is the only complaint!) Our waiter, James was very hellpful and attentive. Am already looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Evening Star DateJAXBeacherDined on 8/5/2014Great food, great wine and superb service as always. Finally got to take my wife and daughter, after all these years of them hearing how good ES is. They both have added Evening Star to their favorites list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014I love this place, but every time I go the fish is undercooked.
- Not so impressed this timeAnneDined on 8/2/2014It took at least 10 minutes for us to be greeted by our server, after we'd already been forced to flag down another server because we needed water and knew what we wanted to order (having had ample time to peruse the menu). The oyster appetizer and our salads arrived at the same time, rather than being spaced out a bit. And as soon as our salad plates were picked up, the entrees were put down -- literally no more than five seconds between the two. Sometimes, in some restaurants, that sort of efficiency is a good thing. Not here. At least we were in a booth along the wall, where the clamor is slightly neutralized. Otherwise, I would have felt the whole evening a disappointment. Evening Star can do better, and should.Special Features:
- Great findSheilaDined on 8/1/2014I can't say enough about the Fried Brie appetizer - AMAZING! The wine list is extensive, the food is fresh and well-prepared, and the service was spot on. You have to order it early because it takes 45 minutes to prepare, but the Blueberry Cobler is wonderful! The ambience is eclectic and fun and from the looks of it there is a very energetic outside eating area - The Front Porch. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceClarkDined on 7/26/2014The overall experience at the Evening Star Cafe was excellent. The ambience was contemporary yet cozy. And, our service was attentive, but not overbearing. The food was a pleasure to experience. We had the salmon which was perfectly tender on the inside covered with a crisp glaze on the outside. We will keep coming back.Special Features:
- NotcookingtoniteDined on 7/22/2014Dinner was terrific -- very fresh ingredients used in interesting combinations. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with no surprisesWilltvl4greatfoodDined on 7/17/2014I can always rely on ESC to come trough when I wnet to enteratian out of town guest with no fuss. We can relax enjoy our time togther and be totally staisfied keep up the grand work Love the food people and the spaceSpecial Features:
- Yummy, VibrantJanissimoDined on 7/16/2014We were celebrating a birthday, and had a good spot for our group of 5 plus room for gifts. Everyone enjoyed their food. Duck breast was excellent! Our only complaint was the service. Waiter seemed overworked, but when he was attentive, he was good at his job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but..OldnavybillDined on 7/16/2014Fried brie was very good as was the beet salad. The Mahi-Mahi entree was very good and visually appealing. On the other hand, the fried chicken entree left a lot to be desired. Spicy sausage gravy covering the chicken and the greens is just not my cup of tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Del RayxnyrDined on 7/11/2014We had not been to Evening Star in several years and were delighted to get a reservation for a Friday evening sitting outside. The food and service were just as good if not better than years ago with the prior chef. The pork is still wonderful and the wine list, drawing on the co-owned wine store next door, is fantastic. Endless options and excellent values. Likewise the long and varied beer list, with large and small size options. The bread includes extraordinary sweet potato rolls, which are enough reason to come here. We had two disappointments: the crispy kale would have been great but was much too salty, and the frites with the steak & frites suffered from the same oversalting. All 4 of us agreed, not edible with that much salt.Special Features:
- Food and service are excellentGaiaDined on 7/1/2014We ordered a bucket of PEI mussels and the grilled Conway oysters. Both are appetizers and so very good. The mussels were fresh and well seasoned. The oysters a real treat. We will to go back and next time try an entrée. Its was a perfect meal for a warm and humid afternoon. Our server was gracious and knowledgeable. She suggested a perfect wine complement for our meal. All went smoothly. We enjoyed our afternoon at the Evening Star Café.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cute spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Great place for a casual dinner with friends. Enjoyed the menu.Special Features:
- Evening Star-Five starsCeliaDined on 6/28/2014This place is one of my favorites! We always order the fried brie and I adore the freshly baked pumpkin and cornbread that come complementary with the honey butter. I've gotten the roasted duck and brussel sprouts, braised lamb and shrimp n grits, all very flavorful. I love the taste of the crispy kale. I was however, recently underwhelmed by the steak frites-no seasoning and lots of fries. For cocktails, I usually get the good herb and my boyfriend likes the Oaxacan Hipster. They have a great bar area in a room next door. Definitely going back for more!Special Features:
- Grandma goes to culinary school!thatdoghuntsDined on 6/23/2014Charming and comfortable with an edge, but no attitude. Yummy dishes you know, but with an extra something that would make grandma jealous. I'm not a dessert eater, but I could not pass up the blueberry cobbler with gingered ice cream. Oh my god, I mean gosh. I dream about that now! This was a night out with old friends, the kind that you tell truths to. I can not think of a better venue for such an evening. Thank you for a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple Food Done Extremely WellOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014I had Fried Green tomatoes, pork chop with potatoes and green beans with a bacon and Vidalia onion marmalade. They bring sweet potatoe biscuits and corn bread. Like I said simple food, but everything was cooked perfectly and had excellent touches. The bacon and Vidalia onion marmalade was absolutely wonderful! So were the sweet potatoe biscuits! There was a blend of diners. Friends getting together, dates, and some families. The decor is homey and charming. The wine and beer list were great, and there is a small patio for outside dining. I would absolutely recommend this place and plan on taking visitors to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many appetizers; a few main dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Service was excellent, with the right amount of attention. Good selection of appetizers and the three we got (included fried green tomatoes) were very good. We got three different main dishes and all were good. My hanger (sp?) steak was about the best I ever had--tender, tasty and cooked just right. Blueberry cobbler dessert was more than enough for we three. Got there about 730 and by 830 it was pretty energetic in terms of noise, just on the edge of having to raise voice to hear. All in all, a very good place to have a relaxing and filling dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 660 reviews are from the Evening Star Cafe reviews archive.
- Tasty and funNerdmanDined on 5/30/2014I've heard a lot about this place for years and finally had the chance to try it, and it lived up to its reputation. The mussels were large, succulent and savory. The beet salad had a nice mix of the mild sweetness of the beets mixed wih the tartness of the lemon sauce. And the duck breast served on a bed of rice and andouille sausage was a delight. As the place filled up, it got a bit loud - we wished we had chosen to eat outside. Our server was competent and pleasant, but slightly inattentive. I definitely expect to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.