Evening Star Cafe
2000 Mt. Vernon Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22301Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Evening Star Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eveningstarcafe.net/
- Phone: 7035495051
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:30-9:00pm,Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Friday 11:30-2:30 pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00-2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Jeffords
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Star Catering is a full-service caterer and event coordinator, committed to flawlessly executing any event that reflects style and personality. Contact Katie Musser for more information at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs No. 9 Lounge is available for private parties. Equipped with a full-service bar, the No.9 can accommodate up to 50 people at a seated dinner and more than 100 standing. Full menu and catering available.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 7033035423
- Special Events: For Valentine's Day the Evening Star will be offering a special 4 course tasting menu for $69 per person. Wine pairings will also be available for an additional charge. Our regular menu will not be available.
A word from Evening Star Cafe
Located in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, between Old Town and Crystal City, the Evening Star Cafe is known for exceptional food, friendly but professional service and an inviting 'retro chic and funky' atmosphere. Both a classic neighborhood restaurant and a destination for diners throughout the Washington Metropolitan area, the Evening Star features sophisticated and eclectic American food, one of the region's most appealing and best-priced wine lists, and two separate lounges.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Evening Star Cafe - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Evening Star Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (43)great for outdoor dining (33)notable wine list (18)special occasion (17)great for brunch (15)romantic (15)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (12)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nice place.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Enjoyed the pork chop and homemade biscuits! We were a little surprised to see so many young children. We would return with our family but would not return for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Watermelon salad was awesome as was the bread, mahi, amd salmon. Restaurant is nice inside also. Great lighting and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingjustbeckyDined on 8/20/2014By far one of the best dinners I have had in a very long time. I am in love with the Pork Chop! Will be back for sure :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely not Run of The MillDDP9686Dined on 8/20/2014The menu could use a few offerings that aren't so overwrought. The food is very good although a tad pricey for what you get. Not ideal for groups larger than 4 due to limited space and booth seating. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchMPMeyersVIPDined on 8/19/2014Food is always terrific and service is reliably friendly. I love having the entire neighboring wine shop to pick from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waiterhappydinerDined on 8/19/2014The food listed wine pairings. I mentioned that I prefer white or rose wine. The waiter made three different wine selections to pair with my dinner choices. All three wines were delicious. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014was there for restaurant week - thought the inclusion of a "side" was very nice.Special Features:
- Evening Star always greatFoodieDined on 8/18/2014Food was just outstanding as well as the service. We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was VG; slipping servicexnyrVIPDined on 8/14/2014We are fond of Evening Star, generally a Del Ray gem, with very good food and outstanding wine, and good if not memorable service. This Thursday night we waited a long time for an outside table. When we finally sat down, that was just the beginning of a long wait for the waiter, and then for water, bread, drinks, and food. Everything was quite good once it came, but the waiter was obviously harried although there were only 3 groups eating outside. Perhaps there was something amiss with the kitchen as service was slow for everyone. We were not in a hurry and were with friends who are more patient than we are, and we were glad to spend time with them. I hope, however, that this slow service does not become a trend at Evening Star.Special Features:
- Used to be a Great RestaurantTXagsVIPDined on 8/14/2014I have given Evening Star several chances and it continues to go downhill. This used to be one of my favorite restaurants. The food is only so-so and the service stinks. The last three times I have been there the service is incredibly slow, almost to the point of inattentive. Perhaps they are under staffed. Don't think I will give it another try.
- Fantastic Allergy AccomodationAbebabeVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Chef and waitress did a phenomenal job checking, re-checking and creating a meal that was 100% free of my allergies. They went above and beyond.Special Features:
- Restaurant week findpmjedwardsVIPDined on 8/12/2014Wentfor restaurant week, but will certianly go back again. The wine list is limited, but well chosen and good value, while there is an exptensive craft beer list. We took the prix-fixe meal, which had items from the regular menu. The dishes were tasty and well executed with the only complaint being too many fries. (Yes, that is the only complaint!) Our waiter, James was very hellpful and attentive. Am already looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Evening Star DateJAXBeacherVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food, great wine and superb service as always. Finally got to take my wife and daughter, after all these years of them hearing how good ES is. They both have added Evening Star to their favorites list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014I love this place, but every time I go the fish is undercooked.
- Not so impressed this timeAnneDined on 8/2/2014It took at least 10 minutes for us to be greeted by our server, after we'd already been forced to flag down another server because we needed water and knew what we wanted to order (having had ample time to peruse the menu). The oyster appetizer and our salads arrived at the same time, rather than being spaced out a bit. And as soon as our salad plates were picked up, the entrees were put down -- literally no more than five seconds between the two. Sometimes, in some restaurants, that sort of efficiency is a good thing. Not here. At least we were in a booth along the wall, where the clamor is slightly neutralized. Otherwise, I would have felt the whole evening a disappointment. Evening Star can do better, and should.Special Features:
- Great findSheilaDined on 8/1/2014I can't say enough about the Fried Brie appetizer - AMAZING! The wine list is extensive, the food is fresh and well-prepared, and the service was spot on. You have to order it early because it takes 45 minutes to prepare, but the Blueberry Cobler is wonderful! The ambience is eclectic and fun and from the looks of it there is a very energetic outside eating area - The Front Porch. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceClarkDined on 7/26/2014The overall experience at the Evening Star Cafe was excellent. The ambience was contemporary yet cozy. And, our service was attentive, but not overbearing. The food was a pleasure to experience. We had the salmon which was perfectly tender on the inside covered with a crisp glaze on the outside. We will keep coming back.Special Features:
- NotcookingtoniteVIPDined on 7/22/2014Dinner was terrific -- very fresh ingredients used in interesting combinations. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with no surprisesWilltvl4greatfoodVIPDined on 7/17/2014I can always rely on ESC to come trough when I wnet to enteratian out of town guest with no fuss. We can relax enjoy our time togther and be totally staisfied keep up the grand work Love the food people and the spaceSpecial Features:
- Yummy, VibrantJanissimoDined on 7/16/2014We were celebrating a birthday, and had a good spot for our group of 5 plus room for gifts. Everyone enjoyed their food. Duck breast was excellent! Our only complaint was the service. Waiter seemed overworked, but when he was attentive, he was good at his job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but..OldnavybillDined on 7/16/2014Fried brie was very good as was the beet salad. The Mahi-Mahi entree was very good and visually appealing. On the other hand, the fried chicken entree left a lot to be desired. Spicy sausage gravy covering the chicken and the greens is just not my cup of tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Del RayxnyrVIPDined on 7/11/2014We had not been to Evening Star in several years and were delighted to get a reservation for a Friday evening sitting outside. The food and service were just as good if not better than years ago with the prior chef. The pork is still wonderful and the wine list, drawing on the co-owned wine store next door, is fantastic. Endless options and excellent values. Likewise the long and varied beer list, with large and small size options. The bread includes extraordinary sweet potato rolls, which are enough reason to come here. We had two disappointments: the crispy kale would have been great but was much too salty, and the frites with the steak & frites suffered from the same oversalting. All 4 of us agreed, not edible with that much salt.Special Features:
- Food and service are excellentGaiaDined on 7/1/2014We ordered a bucket of PEI mussels and the grilled Conway oysters. Both are appetizers and so very good. The mussels were fresh and well seasoned. The oysters a real treat. We will to go back and next time try an entrée. Its was a perfect meal for a warm and humid afternoon. Our server was gracious and knowledgeable. She suggested a perfect wine complement for our meal. All went smoothly. We enjoyed our afternoon at the Evening Star Café.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cute spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Great place for a casual dinner with friends. Enjoyed the menu.Special Features:
- Evening Star-Five starsCeliaVIPDined on 6/28/2014This place is one of my favorites! We always order the fried brie and I adore the freshly baked pumpkin and cornbread that come complementary with the honey butter. I've gotten the roasted duck and brussel sprouts, braised lamb and shrimp n grits, all very flavorful. I love the taste of the crispy kale. I was however, recently underwhelmed by the steak frites-no seasoning and lots of fries. For cocktails, I usually get the good herb and my boyfriend likes the Oaxacan Hipster. They have a great bar area in a room next door. Definitely going back for more!Special Features:
- Grandma goes to culinary school!thatdoghuntsDined on 6/23/2014Charming and comfortable with an edge, but no attitude. Yummy dishes you know, but with an extra something that would make grandma jealous. I'm not a dessert eater, but I could not pass up the blueberry cobbler with gingered ice cream. Oh my god, I mean gosh. I dream about that now! This was a night out with old friends, the kind that you tell truths to. I can not think of a better venue for such an evening. Thank you for a lovely experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple Food Done Extremely WellOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014I had Fried Green tomatoes, pork chop with potatoes and green beans with a bacon and Vidalia onion marmalade. They bring sweet potatoe biscuits and corn bread. Like I said simple food, but everything was cooked perfectly and had excellent touches. The bacon and Vidalia onion marmalade was absolutely wonderful! So were the sweet potatoe biscuits! There was a blend of diners. Friends getting together, dates, and some families. The decor is homey and charming. The wine and beer list were great, and there is a small patio for outside dining. I would absolutely recommend this place and plan on taking visitors to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many appetizers; a few main dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/5/2014Service was excellent, with the right amount of attention. Good selection of appetizers and the three we got (included fried green tomatoes) were very good. We got three different main dishes and all were good. My hanger (sp?) steak was about the best I ever had--tender, tasty and cooked just right. Blueberry cobbler dessert was more than enough for we three. Got there about 730 and by 830 it was pretty energetic in terms of noise, just on the edge of having to raise voice to hear. All in all, a very good place to have a relaxing and filling dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and funNerdmanDined on 5/30/2014I've heard a lot about this place for years and finally had the chance to try it, and it lived up to its reputation. The mussels were large, succulent and savory. The beet salad had a nice mix of the mild sweetness of the beets mixed wih the tartness of the lemon sauce. And the duck breast served on a bed of rice and andouille sausage was a delight. As the place filled up, it got a bit loud - we wished we had chosen to eat outside. Our server was competent and pleasant, but slightly inattentive. I definitely expect to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jdcdinerVIPDined on 5/24/2014We ate on the patio on a beautiful spring evening. The food tasted very good, but I was severely ill the next day. I had the duck dish medium rare as recommended and the oyster dish for an appetizer. i did love the way this food tasted, but i am more than reluctant to return because I was so ill. Unfortunately, I do not think I will be back.Special Features:
- Great Food, Not So Great ServiceSweetSangriaDined on 5/24/2014I have been to the Evening Star Cafe three times now so I feel somewhat qualified to give a proper review. Firstly, come for the food and stay for the food. The Fried Green Tomatoes are amazing, as is the Fried Southern Chicken (my favorite dish). I like the ambiance, and the variety of wine they offer. I can say without a doubt though, that 2 of my 3 visits have been dampened by very poor service. To be fair, in both instances it was the same waitress, so perhaps the problem is only with her. She is a white female, very small with very short brown hair. She has been unnecessarily rude/incompetent twice now, so much so that I pause to go back for fear of getting her again. Her bad service aside though, the food is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just NOT the same !HeatherBDined on 5/24/2014We use to live in the neighborhood and must have eaten there 30 times over a two year period. We moved away and were so looking forward to eating there again on a return trip to visit old friends and see the city with our children. it's only been two years but everything was different. We asked the waitress who has been there a long time and she confirmed that the old chef left to open a new restaurant in Falls Church. The food was not near as good as it use to be and the menu was somewhat different and not as interesting. Soooooo disappointing! It's just not worth the cost of the meal when there are so many other great restaurants in the area. Use to be one of the best .... now ... not so much.
- Thumbs up--must try.AbacusEatsDined on 5/22/2014Shrimp and grits were ultra rich and creamy--good favor, as was the pork chop, though not as tender as I'm used to getting at restaurants. Interesting appetizers and sides. We had the grilled oysters and crispy kale. Food was well prepared and definitely worth the visit. Great neighborhood for after-dinner strolling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar??? Didn't even know!LonnieCVIPDined on 5/16/2014I've been to this place a few times and had NO CLUE that there was a happening bar at Evening Star! Now I know! And the food was yummy too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 653 reviews are from the Evening Star Cafe reviews archive.
- Food decent but service super slow!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/1/2014We arrived at 6:15 for a 7pm reservation and were finally seated at 7:30. For the price, the food was good, but not great. The meat dishes were better than fish dishes. Pumpkin gnocchi and mussels apps were really good and I would have those over the entree next time. The service was really slow! We waited about 25 minutes between when we ordered apps and when our entree orders were taken and then it took another 40 minutes for the food to arrive (grant it, the extra allowed me to feed and burp my infant while we waited, but the others in our party were famished!). We'd return for drinks and apps, but will leave out entrees next time.Special Features:
- Great if you aren't on a dietLauraVIPDined on 4/22/2014I love Evening Star Cafe. The food is creative, and definitely tasty, but definitely not low-fat. Honestly, there really isn't anything on the menu that is even remotely healthy. We tried the softshell crab jambalaya and shrimp and grits. Both were tasty, although the shrimp were not as large as I expected (based on ordering the same dish on other visits) and the crab was tasty, but very breaded. With that said, Evening Star is noted for an eclectic atmosphere and delicious southern food, so I guess healthy options shouldn't be expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2014We enjoy Evening Star typically -- but not overly impressed this time. Took a while to be greeted, fried green tomatoes were small in portion and not very flavorful. A little more expensive than it might be worth, but we will come back because of the unique entree options and the fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- good location for visiting MomJRWVA2013VIPDined on 4/16/2014Enjoyed the small booth and menu choices. Server was kind and did not rush our catch-up session. I was relieved to find a parking spot in the back as well. It was a shame that so many people ignored the request to use the side door as the entrance, so one complaint was the bursts of cold air as we were eating. Overall, I highly recommend this neighborhood gem.
- Good!lindsaysarahVIPDined on 4/16/2014Everything was very solid. The beet salad was lacking - the beets weren't great - but everything else was very very solid. The server was very sweet, totally accommodating to our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabu;lous!LisaPizzaDined on 4/10/2014From the minute I walked in the staff made me feel welcome. They were friendly and personable. My friend was running late due to traffic. The waitress was great, didn't make me feel rushed. I wanted a fun drink but no alcohol but there was nothing on the menu. My waitress said she could make me a mocktail and she did not disappoint, it was delicious. I had the grilled oyster appetizer. Blue Point oysters with roasted garlic hollandaise sauce, amazingly wonderful! For the main course I chose the steak frites with a red wine bearnaise sauce. Cooked to perfection and the potatoes were among the best I've ever had, crispy on the outside, tender in the inside. I cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.