1620 S Indian Trl
Palm Springs, CA 92264Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://villaroyale.com/dining/
- Phone: (760) 327-2314
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Europa
AAA’s Westways Magazine calls Villa Royale’s Europa Restaurant “a charming hideaway where you’ll feel as if you’ve been transported to an intimate castle in Europe.” Europa offers the very best in fine dining in Palm Springs. In fact, for ten consecutive years, AAA has given the restaurant a 4 Diamond Rating, The Wine Spectator has given Europa award after award and Zagat Guide has offered their highest endorsement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Europa reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (22)special occasion (19)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (11)great for outdoor dining (11)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Lovely secluded spot at the Villa RoyaleLeChatVIPDined on 11/14/2014With a bar overlooking the pool, a heated patio in back and a beautifully appointed dining room, there's a place for everyone to feel comfortable here. With a varied menu filled with scrumptious options, there's something for every palate. And, with a staff available yet unobtrusive, you'll feel pampered at Europa. My companion had a bouillabaisse and I had the mushroom risotto; both perfect. Beautiful wine list. Delicious desserts. A genuine oasis in the desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best hidden gem in the west!MerryKerryDined on 11/6/2014Lovely, lovely lovely! Food is incredible, service is top notch, ambiance is perfect! It's what fine dining should be but you rarely find it ecxcept for Europa. I took friends there last week and a new group this week and they all agreed with me that it is the best hidden gem in the valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MialjohnsonVIPDined on 11/4/2014The food is excellent; service is first rate and by far the most romantic atmosphere in Palm Springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite SpotMerryKerryDined on 10/26/2014This is my favorite restaurant in the valley. Everything is perfect each time I dine at Europa!Special Features:
- Seemingly undiscovered restaurantMartyDined on 10/17/2014Europa is on a small side street in East Palm Springs just off the 111. It is part of the Villa Royale motel. The atmosphere is very romantic (not a place for kids); service was outstanding. The food was good, but not outstanding.Special Features:
- Great evening!CathyDined on 10/11/2014We had dinner on the bavk patio and had an amazing evening. Erin was a great server, our food was delicious, we enjoyed listening to the fountain, and had the patio to ourselves almost the whole evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came here for my moms birthday.HappyDinerVIPDined on 10/10/2014We came to celebrate my mom's birthday and the meal lasted 2 1/2 enjoyable hours. Fantastic cocktails. I can recommend the wonderful scallop appetizer, delicious pasta with shrimp and artichokes, perfect cheese cake and and out of this world berry cobbler. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Short ribsMimiDined on 10/10/2014The short ribs were a bit tough even though the waitress said they were braised for eight hours! They also need to update their website and magazine ads. They both say they serve osso bucco and that is the reason we went there. We were disappointed when they said they don't serve that until winter. 😞Special Features:
- Off the beaten path, but wow!AlwaysHungryVIPDined on 9/13/2014What a lovely find this was (using Open Table, by the way). When we were searching for the restaurant, we felt sure our gps had messed up, but sure enough, there Europa was, located in a quaint boutique hotel a couple of blocks off the 111. Entrance is through the hotel reception area and the pool area...all charmingly done. The whole place has a great patina to it that is welcoming, romantic and again, charming. The food? Outstanding. I had the short ribs and they were as good as any I've ever had. Normally, one doesn't remember the side that the main dish is served with, but that wasn't the case with the short ribs -- the greens served with the meat was worth it's own showcase. My wife raced about her shrimp pasta dish, too.Special Features:
- Doesn't get much better than thisMTSMVIPDined on 8/31/2014First time we dined here about eight years ago because we stayed at the Villa Royale Inn. Been here maybe half dozen times total. Always impressed with new stuff on menu, and engaging knowledgeable service, especially by server Jeremy. This time we had grilled seafood platter, shrimp and artichoke pasta, Europa salad, and cream of carrot soup. All spectacular. Since we like to finish every last morsel, we love the bus man who always asks, "May I take your plates?" and waits for an answer. Imagine that.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningroinlaVIPDined on 8/23/2014We were running late, a phone call assured us it would be ok, a table would be held for us. Thankfully they were true to their word. The restaurant and it's setting at the Villa Royale Hotel is very romantic. We were given a table in a lovely location. Our server Erin was fantastic, her recommendations were spot on as was her service! Every course was as delicious as the prior one. The scallops seared in a lemon pepper crust drizzled with a truffle aioli was a standout. On the cocktail side I would recommend the lemon with ginger martini, Erin highly recommended it and she was right, it was delicious! This restaurant is the perfect place for a romantic evening when you just don't want to feel like you are in the desert.Special Features:
- It's all about the atmoshphereBonologyDined on 8/23/2014It's fancy in the most intimate and modest sort of way. The entire restaurant is decked out in stained glass lamps with brass claws and wrought-iron flora, classical sculpture, and oriental motifs. It's a hodgepodge of all the exotic stuff I can see Napoleon might have brought back for Josephine after his conquests across the seas. Beautiful- seriously no bad seat in the house. From the moment we stepped in, the maître d' and the bartender greeted us with the utmost hospitality. Both the servers and the bussers were pleasant and responsive. Very friendly people; considerate, well mannered, and knowledgeable about the menu. Sadly The food was underwhelming. But the ambience made up for it. Very romantic. Loved it.Special Features:
- Terrific staffPleasedDined on 8/23/2014Dealt with Nancy first when we were trying to locate your place. She was awesome. Then when we appeared for our dinner, she greeted us warmly and remembered who we were. Gilbert was terrific in allowing us to sit at the bar and only have water. He familized us with the area and what was available. Jamie, our server, was on top of it all. Any question that we had he knew the answer. He was friendly, patient, and kind. It made our meal and evening the BEST. I didn't get the name of the young lady that brought us the hard roll, but she was "tops" also. You have a wonderful staff and a beautiful facility. I hope to return one day when the harpist is there. J. BaileySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to be, sad to say.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2014My husband and I had an early dinner at Europa before heading home from Palm Springs. We have eaten there several times over the past 5 years or so. We were greeted by everyone from the hostess to the bartender and servers. It is a beautiful location that oozes charm and class. Unfortunately, the chef had changed from when we were last there and the food was quite disappointing. I ordered salmon and it was excessively salty and had a very strong fishy taste/smell. The potatoes and veggies served along side were average. The iceberg lettuce was very bitter in the salad that we shared. My husband said he liked his pork chop and it was very tender, however, the sauce seemed very thin to me. I do hope this was just an off night.Special Features:
- waddayookkehrwaddayookehrDined on 8/9/2014Never again. Third bad experience at Europa. Restaurant almost empty and almost all diners herded into an uncomfortable corner...probably easier on staff. Food dull. Big deal "seafood platter"...miniscule lobster tail, 2 shrimp and 2 scallops...overpriced and absolutely no flavor. Cheesecake...homemade by bosses grandmother...tasteless. Place has seen better days, but we will not wait for them to return.
- The following 89 reviews are from the Europa reviews archive.
- not very happyMickeyVIPDined on 7/3/2014The good news was the service was great; Gilbert, the manager, was very attentive and concerned about our discontent with the food. The lamb was almost inedible and the beet salad was warm and wilted. There were also two frustrating things about Europa (other than the food), first, a fine dining restaurant that does not take Am Ex, which is absurd and second, they do not have the ability to use a travel zoo certificate from your phone (which is how they are designed to be used), we solved the second problem after repeated attempts to e mail the car to the restaurant but nothing spells cheap like not accepting Am Ex especially since this restaurant is part of a hotel. There you have it!Special Features:
- an Evening to RememberFoodloverVIPDined on 6/26/2014Fantastic. It was our 44 anniversary. Erin took great care of us. Food was extraordinary. Service perfect. I let the Chef and Erin surprise me with what they felt was their favorite entrée The duck was devine. Paired well with the Rombauer Zinfandel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialGoodDined on 6/14/2014You can't beat the ambience and service at Europa. Very intimate dining experience. The menu is diverse and everything that is severed is delicious. This is the #1 spot for that special evening.Special Features:
- Deepwell DinersWeLUVPSDined on 6/6/2014First time here ...took advantage during Restaurant Week to check it out. Sat on the patio, despite it being a warm evening and it actually was perfect. Erin was very friendly and in addition to excellent service chatted with us after her tables had left. Fantastic chef, we will be back more often to try other specialties. A wonderful evening for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFormerFanVIPDined on 6/6/2014as always. The food and wine recommendation were superb. Our server Erin is top notch, as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most RomanticEuropaDined on 6/5/2014What can I say - it was a date and I've been there many times but it really is the most romantic place for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry EuropaJonandGreggDined on 6/4/2014This was our 3rd visit to Europa and it was a disappointment this visit for restraunt week.The Escargot was very disappointing in the brown gravey and puff pastry, need to go back to the bagette and garlic butter,the main reason we went was for the escargot.The Lamb shank was very fatty and the server was very robotic in his actions and descriptions .We didnt leave with a memorable expeirience .Special Features:
- Dinner at EuropanunuDined on 6/3/2014Europa became a new favorite. Great service and food. The ambiance was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful EveningFrankDined on 6/3/2014Tucked away in South Palm Springs, this polished gem reveals it's many facets beginning with your initial greeting by the hostess. The restaurant bespeaks of a comfortable and charming old world decor only to be outdone by an updated and creative menu. The chef has taken traditional fare and elevated it for modern tastes and sensibilities. Erin was our waiter. She was an absolute delight. Not only she, but her support staff were just as attentive without being intrusive. My only regret is not having dined at the Europa sooner than now. Location, Ambiance, Decor, Cuisine, Staff ... this restaurant has it all. Make it your special place; the Europa has certainly become ours.Special Features:
- Excellent from start to finish!SoozieqzVIPDined on 6/1/2014This is our second time at Europa and we are hooked! We had forgotten it was restaurant week so we were able to take advantage of their special, which was a nice surprise. Our server, Erin, was delightful...fun and so efficient! We all started with the wedge salad and it was delicious, the bleu cheese dressing had the perfect amount of zing to it. For dinner I had salmon (truly amazing!) the hubs had short ribs and pretty much licked his plate and our pal had lamb, which he devoured. Desserts were also incredible, flan for me yummmmm and who knows what the guys had, I was too into my flan haha We will be back soon, absolutely adore this place!!!Special Features:
- DisappointedMankhDined on 6/1/2014Our first time in the dining room, although we've been to the bar many times before. The ambiance is beautiful and feels like a secret hideaway. Dark, moody, romantic. Our server, Erin, was possibly one of the best servers we've ever run across. Attentive without being intrusive, informative, funny, personable. She alone would be worth a return visit. The chef however, let us down. A very sad, dry starter, overcooked escargot in an over reduced salty gravy, overcooked rubbery shrimp. The salmon was cooked nicely, but the accompanying raspberry compote felt like it was leftover from breakfast. Pasta was nice. The majority of the food was uninspired and rote. Overall, a nice experience, but we probably will not go back to dine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/1/2014This is the third time that we've been to Europa, but the first time in about 3 years. However it never disappoints! Everything is as delightful now as it was our first and second times there.Special Features:
- Repeat customerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014Warm people, romantic setting, fabulous food. We hit the jackpot being there during restaurant and getting a four course meal. Delectable. Satiating. A gem!! Service from Erin was outstanding! Go go go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Boutique Hotel/Restaurant2foodiesDined on 5/30/2014If you are coming to Palm Springs for a romantic weekend, this is a good place to stay. Chef makes great presentations, and service is excellent. Restaurant is a little dated, and decor is out of place in Palm Springs.Special Features:
- The Restaurant is OffLRReviewsVIPDined on 5/24/2014Europa used to be a romantic place to go for exceptional food and quiet ambiance. The ambiance is there, the food is not. Service was very slow. The waiter suggested the appitazier special, grilled Quail, which was overcooked and the mango salsa so spicy it burned. My duck must have sat under the warming lights to long as it was also very dry and tough. I'd go for drinks at the bar by the pool very nice setting. It will be awhile before we go back for dinner. There are too many other place in Palm Springs that offer better food at these prices.
- Good for nice casual dining.FoodietooDined on 5/24/2014Romantic setting, although there was a loud group several tables from us. Excellent mussel with clams and quail with couscous appetizers. Pork shank osso bucco was tender but a bit on the salty side. Venison was very good. Service was great. Creme Brulee for dessert was delish. My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and they surprised us with a dish of ice cream with chocolate syrup and a lit candle. Nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a neighborhood gembeareVIPDined on 5/10/2014Located at the Villa Royale resort, this quiet hidden gem is just that a gem. Having received the AAA 4 diamond award for 10 years running, this restaurant sets itself above most in their service, their quality, the ambience and everything thing else that makes a dining evening perfect. I could go on and on about the fabulous meal I chose, but I can assure you, (having dined here before) that no matter what your choice or desire is, you will be more than sated, more than satisfied; you will be in Nirvana with your dining experience here.Special Features:
- Best waitress in townAndreasHuettenhoelscherDined on 5/2/2014Hi, we have been there two days ago and in my reservation I noticed that I have a food allergy. When we arrived they had read already everything about it. The service was so super attentive, just incredible without standing next to the table all the time or trying to sell you food or drinks you don't want. A very memorable evening. Thank you so much!Special Features:
- wedding anniversarythemightyquinDined on 4/26/2014Great service, great food, fantastic people. The entire decor is very dusty and outdated, could do with a major upgrade.The chairs were also a little uncomfortable (had to change mine as it was broken) The range of food options and winelist was reasonably extensive and IMO the food well prepared and presented. The staff were very friendly, courteous and attentive. We were however placed right next to the harp player (maybe they thought it was a favor as it was our wedding anniversary) but I doubt they realize how loud it actually is. We got a complimentary desert for the occasion which was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Fabulous find!TBL1Dined on 4/25/2014Europa lived up to its excellent reviews, we felt we could have eaten there five times in a row to order everything we wanted to try. The service was excellent, everything was perfectly prepared. Just a wonderful all-around experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic excellent servicelollyDined on 4/24/2014We ate here, outside and totally enjoyed ourselves. I had picked four upscale restaurants to dine and this was our favorite for service food and ambiance. The big plump shrimp app. was our highlight. My husband enjoyed his shrimp pasta and my slow cooked ribs were great. Deserts ere also great. We will go back on our next visit to palm desert.Special Features:
- Simply EnchantingnotmyfirstrodeoVIPDined on 4/12/2014Dining at Europa is akin to dining in a beautiful, intimate aristocratic home in the Loire Valley. It is tucked inside the Villa Royale hotel and though we have a home less than 5 minutes away, we had never dined their. When my wife and I arrived, we were greeted warmly and we were seated a few feet from the harpist who was mesmerizing. The wait staff were perfect and the selections of salad, escargot in a puff pastry with flecks of goat cheese, and a duck sausage flatbread were remarkable. I had told the waiter that we had wonderful memories of staying at the hotel, and he brought us a delicious flour less chocolate cake with ice cream. A lovely touch! This is categorically one of the best restaurants in the desert if not California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Gem - Hidden SecretcsarchibaldDined on 4/12/2014Truly a hidden treasure. If you are looking for a romantic setting it would be hard to beat this place. We were really fortunate to hit a really quiet evening. The service was beyond compare, The waiter was extremely knowledgeable about the menu, the history of the restaurant and had a great sense of humor. The harpist put the experience over the top. I could not say enough about this wonderful find. I think this is my new all time favorite. The food was perfectly prepared and delicious with really unique flavors and preparations. It is nice to still have a restaurant where you can dress up and feel special. This restaurant is not cheap, but worth every penny we paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in the DesertKennDined on 4/11/2014A gem of a find that has great ambience; knowledgeable and professional waitstaff (Sierra) and a special touch by the executive chef. The food choices are plentiful as the menu was recently changed; with each meal something special. This is a restaurant that deserves a more upscale location as it is off the beaten-track. Nonetheless it is a special treat for those that find it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was disappointed with thegeorgieDined on 4/8/2014I was disappointed with the braised short ribs in that they were a bit chewy instead of fork tender. While the food is generally good, it's not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.