495 3rd Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://ethostaverna.com/
- Phone: 2122521972
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Peter Spiropoulos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Ethos Taverna
Many say that this is Manhattan's finest casual Greek restaurant and its peers consider it one of the best restaurants in the area. A warm, romantic setting awaits you while a dazzling display of fresh fish on ice flown in daily from all over the world entices you. Energetic, polite wait staff provides impeccable service...you'll feel part of the family. Nice wine list with an emphasis on Greece. Lunch is served daily Monday through Friday and dinner is served seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ethos Taverna reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (4)special occasion (2)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- what a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/14/2014my daughter just moved into the neighborhood and we were looking to find dinner nearby. we found ethos on opentable. we enjoy seafood and often eat at Greek restaurants near our home. we were seated immediately and our waiter, Caza, came right over. he was great and very knowledgeable. he recommended a Greek wine and was spot on. he made some recommendations which we followed and when we ordered, he remembered every detail of the order without writing it down. the appetizers were delicious! we ordered fish and vegetarian dishes for our main courses. the branzino was boned well and very moist. the tomatoes in the greek salad were full of flavor and the imam wonderful! I am thrilled that my daughter moved around the corner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 543 reviews are from the Ethos Taverna reviews archive.
- Neighborhood GreekdharmabardDined on 12/28/2013If you want a unpretentious touch of Greece in Murray Hill, this is the place. The food is classic Greek home cooking in American size portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Greek Food!kariotakiDined on 11/9/2013Coming from out of town and being able to use open table to find a good place to eat was a real treat! The only problem was where they sat us; too crowded, one of our party kept getting bumped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy yum yumOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/5/2013Every single dish we ordered was delicious. From the spanikopita to the chicken in a clay pot. Will go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemSatisfyingDined on 11/4/2013This was my third time here and I was still impressed with the food. My friend and I ordered beet salad, charcoal grilled octopus, baked lamb shank and grill Bronzini. Everything was very flavorful and cooked perfectly. The service was rather slow, though. It took a while before the waiter came to take our order and to give us our bill. Dessert is always complimentary here. This time they served us a warm pastry stuffed with semolina custard and it was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad lambGreekFoodieDined on 11/2/2013Been eating Greek food my whole life. Had the ground lamb and Greek salad. The lamb must hv bn old or bad. Was disguised w so much garlic. & herbs (which I usually love). We Googled correct location for the one on 905 1st St but Google gave directions for this one. Diners beware! 905 1st St is THE one for great Greek food, ambiance and service.
- The best soup in the world!!!!!!!!!KouklaDined on 10/26/2013The best soup in the world!!!!!!!!!!! Food is fantastic. I go out of my way to get there and I will keep coming back!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendslopoDined on 10/6/2013I picked this placed because it was in a central location for us all and the reviews were good. Overall we really had a nice experience at Ethos. We were in a booth which felt very private and the service was prompt. We had a lot of catching up to do and we had a great time while sipping delicious wine, sharing appetizers and enjoying our meals. We all left feeling full and satisfied. The food was fresh and they even brought out a free dessert after dinner. Would definitely recommend for anyone looking to eat Greek food in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was a little slow,suzeVIPDined on 10/5/2013service was a little slow, and volume was very loud, hard to hear your conversationsSpecial Features:
- Another Great ExperienceAlly4Dined on 10/4/2013I absolutely love the food at Ethos. The quality is great and everything tastes really good. This location is also consistently clean. I will definitely keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!RetiredGuyVIPDined on 9/29/2013Went early for lunch and we were the first ones there before the normal lunch crowd arrived so it goes without saying that it was quiet and we had great service. They had a "fixed menu" as well as à la carte. We had the fixed price menu which included an appetizer AND a salad, a main course and their delicious warm Greek dessert pastry. As an appetizer you can choose three of the dips out of six or spinach pie. We ordered both. The hummus, eggplant and Tzatziki and pita were delicious as well as the spinach pie which had crisp phyllo crust and tasty filling. We both had very generous greek salads. For main courses we had whole Bronzino and grilled salmon. The salmon and whole fish were both excellent and a bargain as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level can be very high.showgalVIPDined on 8/20/2013Noise level can be very high. Best to dine early before crowds come. Otherwise dining experience would be very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Visit!Ally4Dined on 8/8/2013I absolutely love this restaurant. Everything you order here is outstanding. The octopus is seriously the best I've ever had. I also love the chicken with orzo in a clay pot. The dessert at the end of the meal is also a nice touch. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fresh foodbobfVIPDined on 7/13/2013Very fresh fish. Well cooked. Only issue was it was very hot inside because they open up the whole front to street dining. This can be difficult during the heatwave that we are now experiencing.Special Features:
- A favorite Greek place!KidteacherVIPDined on 6/28/2013We love Ethos Taverna because whenever we eat there, we can count on having a delicious and nicely served dinner. The wait staff are all friendly and the food is exceptionally good. So enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take a Dip - or TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/28/2013Everything is good at this lovely Greek restaurant. I love it for lunch, when it's relatively quiet. If you are a tarama freak, theirs is particularly good, with the warm pita they bring right from the oven. Salads, kebabs, fish, anything with feta - all fresh and yum and affordable.Special Features:
- Really nice staff- let usNYCFoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2013Really nice staff- let us sit for hours. Good food!Special Features:
- We have eaten here on at leastOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/8/2013We have eaten here on at least 10 occasions. The food is fresh, the food is delicious, the service is excellent, and the value is fabulous. A great neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- bad experienceshowgalVIPDined on 5/31/2013The moussaka was the worst I ever had. 1/2 inch of meat and 2 inches of white stuff with some potato. The menu says it is served in a crock pot, this was served on a plate. If you go - stick with the simple fish dishes.
- Pretty setting, good food.mckbevVIPDined on 5/30/2013We were pleased to find this little treasure tucked in the neighborhood. Dips were lovely, the Ethos salad is a meal alone, but the main courses were a little disappointing. Some of the offerings on the mixed seafood skewer could have been fresher, and the jumbo shrimp were very obviously frozen. But stick with the appetizers and you will have a great (and healthy) meal.Service was friendly and quick and overall it was a nice experience.Special Features:
- My Favorite RestaurantEllenVIPDined on 5/28/2013If you like fresh fish, this the restaurant for you. I've been going here for years, and the food is consistently wonderful. The restaurant is casual and very comfortable and you're never rushed. And the complimentary dessert is delicious.Special Features:
- Always great!KidteacherVIPDined on 5/4/2013We always enjoy our dinners at Ethos. Not only is the food fresh and delicious, the serving staff are so pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek is GoodFTCNYCVIPDined on 4/30/2013Perfect for nice meal - best wellpriced Greek meal in midtown. Admittedly I've had meats before that were sometimes dry (they dont marinate or perhaps too many Americans ask for medium lamb?) but they cook fish well and you can select it yourself. Waiters authentic Greeks so some lovely language problems that add to the meal - great place to have in the neighborhood. When its warm and the front windows are open its fantastic. They never seem to honor open table special requests for booths though (although I often make reservations the day before or of when here)Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD & SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013GREAT FOOD AND SERVICE, WINE LIST COULD BE IMPROVEDSpecial Features:
- It was an epic meallgueatsVIPDined on 4/23/2013I have been there many times over the years and Ethos never fails to serve a great meal. This particular evening was even better than most as I was dining with an old friend and we lingered for several hours after the meal... we had another bottle of wine and talked and lingered some more... No one bothered us, no one rushed us to surrender our table... it was an epic meal.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/6/2013The food here is great if you love greek food. Big portions and lots of hearty mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True taste of GreecemnemcikDined on 3/29/2013The food was delicious and was true to authentic flavors I have had in Greece... I would highly recommend any of their fish options, fresh and beautifully prepared, love the Bronzino and tsipoura full fish. kalamari and pikilia appetizers were also very good and the baklava Also the staff was friendly and attentive. will definitely be coming back again.Special Features:
- Food was good but a bit overpriced.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/28/2013Food was good but a bit overpriced. Service was unorganized.Special Features:
- A-Ok mezeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/23/2013Nowhere as good Ethos 51 gallery, despite similar menu. Service is fine, restaurant is good. Ordered meze here which were good, such as octopus, squid, shrimp, melitzanosalata, tzatziki, fried zucchini and eggplant but not quite as good as Ethos 51 which did those dishes near perfectly, particularly the octopus. The melitzanosalata and other dips were quite good. One major con is that it's a "taverna" yet they do not serve real bread, only pita wedges and some gross rolls which kills the authenticity of a greek restaurant and makes a poor accompaniment to the food.
- Enjoyed our meal there. ServiceJinHPVIPDined on 3/1/2013Enjoyed our meal there. Service was very good and attentive. Bronzini fish was light and flavorful. Can't really fault them on anything. The area around the restaurant was bustling with people going in and out of bars. Ethos was a nice escape from the commotion outside.
- Overall a good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Overall a good experience. Dined there over the past 7 or 8 years many times. Wait Staff is never very knowledgeable . But, food is very good. Lamb shank is excellent . Authentic Greek dishes are well prepared. Complimentary desert is a nice touch . We will be back.Special Features:
- We were there quite earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2013We were there quite early so it was relatively empty. Then the crowd built slowly, but it still didn't get too noisey. Everything we ordered was delicious! I cannot wait to go back. And what else can I say, but COMPLIMENTARY DESSERT?!Special Features:
- Please make reservations asnycyoungDined on 12/12/2012Please make reservations as this place gets packed. Our waitress was very nice and helpful. My friend and I both ordered the fish (Sea Bass and Bronzini) and we both thought our dish was a little dry. The portions were large, which was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem Greek restaurantgreatplaceDined on 12/12/2012This ua a consistently excellent restaurant with friendly efficient staff and outstanding food. You feel as if you are in Greece!Special Features:
- This was my second time eatingpandasDined on 12/8/2012This was my second time eating at Ethos Tavern. The first time I went with a groupon ($20 for $40) which was a great deal. Entrees are $20-25 each but decently sized. The only complaint was they added tip with the groupon discount but didn't tell me on my credit card bill which is not itemized so I tipped on top of that unknowingly (I wrote a private note and they never got back to me). This time I felt like we were being discriminated against because we ordered two entrees and two appetizers for three people (we didn't want leftovers). The waiter was disparaging. While the other tables were given complimentary desserts with their dinner (which we got the first time), we were only given the check with ours. Food only average for pric
- I have eaten at Ethos at leastOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/6/2012I have eaten at Ethos at least 5 times and have consistently had good meals. The house red wine is surprisingly good.Special Features:
- I love this place! The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/2/2012I love this place! The food is always delicious and the service is always great!
- So sorry, I can no longerAngieQVIPDined on 12/2/2012So sorry, I can no longer give them a high rating. I don't know if they have a new chef, but the food no longer taste the same. A long time patron; disappointing!
- Food was amazing. Wine serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2012Food was amazing. Wine service was outstanding. The most professional I seem in a very long time.Special Features:
- Great octopus!operafanVIPDined on 10/25/2012Excellent grilled octopus and gigante beans. Greek chicken is also good. Only thing we weren't crazy about was the spinakopita -- tiny triangles with very little filling. But definitely recommended, even though it does get very noisy when it crowds up. That's why we normally go at lunchtime instead of dinner.