Ethos Restaurant - Great Neck
25 Middle Neck Road
Great Neck, NY 11021Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Ethos Restaurant - Great Neck
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ethosgreatneck.com/
- Phone: (516) 305-4958
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Monday 5pm-10pm, Tuesday - Sunday 12pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Ethos Restaurant - Great Neck
Ethos gives the impression of dining by the beachside and offers a feast for your lips and eyes. We welcome you to dine with us. "Ya Mas" (To our health)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ethos Restaurant - Great Neck reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (9)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (5)romantic (4)special occasion (4)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Slow serviceEricaDined on 11/22/2014We arrived at 7:30 and got our appetizers at 8:45 and mains at 9:15. We had to ask for water twice. People that didn't get appetizers were starving. My husband had to pick up my 11 year old and bring him back to the restaurant. They were gracious enough to take 15% off the bill and give us a gift certificate. Normally, I wouldn't come back but I may try lunch and see if they can redeem themselves. We were a party of nine and the people next to us got there an hour after us and got their food in 20 minutes. They are clearly not able to handle a larger party. I must say the staff was friendly. May I suggest, if a table has been waiting over an hour for food, to put some cheese, olives, etc. on the table. Bring whatever you have and don't wait to be asked for a credit. Offer a round of drinks on the house. Something!
- Good choiceACDCDined on 11/9/2014Had lunch at 2 pm, so it was quiet. Food was very good and the Sevice was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Allergy Issuerob5Dined on 11/1/2014Even though the food was good and the waiters were attentive, I had an issue with them not accommodating a food allergy. I returned one dish because it had a food I was allergic to (they were great and gave me the item again without that food), and then in the next course, they had that food on my plate again. They should have remembered my allergy and not served it again. Luckily it was not a life-threatening allergy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodBrianVIPDined on 11/1/2014We have been here several times and like the food a lot. It is quite fresh and well prepared, especially the seafood. The service is not great; staff is very friendly but appears to be overwhelmed most of the time. If they work on the menu a little and get more staff, Ethos has the potential to be one of Long Island's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/10/2014Whole fish was moist bad flavorful. Greek lemon potatoes and greens were delicious. Enjoyed the meal. Stick to simple entres for best results. Complimentary desserts are not worth the caloriesSpecial Features:
- lovely decorvishtyDined on 10/7/2014I took my 100 year old friend for lunch here. It is a lovely looking restaurant. We were the only people there so it is hard to judge what it would be like when crowded. The service was quite good and I enjoyed the food. I went back a few days later with my husband for dinner and we enjoyed the food very much. There is a back room with a waterfall on one side and a very pretty outdoor light garden on the other. We were the only ones in that room so it was very quiet and pleasant. I do not know why more people don't choose to sit in that room. We will go back.Special Features:
- Good choicepipsDined on 9/26/2014First time at Ethos. Just moved into town and this looked like a lovely place to try. Good choice as the food was delicious, decor was warm and pleasant, and the waiter was outstanding. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Better and Better Each Time2viewDined on 9/20/2014When life calls us to Great Neck, we always have a meal at Ethos. Each time the experience is even better. The food was fresh, the wine list concise - but full of good options, and the hospitality was, as ever, over-the-top welcoming. Even with a mixed-age group of five, we had a delightful time and every part of our meals were perfect. Don't miss the stuffed portabella mushroom!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is great, food is so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014We loved our waiter and the room (old style New York) was fun and funky, however the food was pretty mediocre. We had the spreads (pretty bland) and salads with soup and spanakopita. The salads were really nice, fresh, good combination of flavors. The soup and the spanakopita were just ordinary, we expected something special from a restaurant with a Greek heritage.
- J & F Woodbury NYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014first time at this restaurant Saturday night 9/13 food was excellent from the appetizers , salads, entrees and the desert will definitely be back again soonSpecial Features:
- Great place, excellent food!VickyDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I tried Ethos for lunch on a Sunday after visiting someone at a nearby hospital. We were surprised that the place was not crowded at all, there was only a couple dining. Then people started to come after we came in. Surprisingly, the food was superb! The pita bread was so good, it came with hummus but we also ordered the eggplant appetizer. I had the Risotto with shrimps and it was really good. My husband had the chicken kebab which was fine. They even gave us a complimentary dessert of baklava and some apple tart which were both very good. Coffee was also good. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek in Great NeckGolem212VIPDined on 8/16/2014We were on Long Island and had dined at Ethos in Manhattan, so we decided to give the Great Neck branch a try. The service was friendly and the staff were warm and welcoming. The wine list was reasonable and varied. Unfortunately, my soft shell crabs were a bit rubbery, but the lamb shank was great. So it's definitely worth a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarciDined on 8/12/2014Service is always very good. Sometimes the noise level is too loud when restaurant is full. Food is very good and help is always very helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant MealAnOldFriendDined on 8/9/2014Mnagement seems to have changed in recent months. This group appears to have it's act together. Eager to please; pleasant surroundings; good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-sosullygrahamVIPDined on 8/5/2014The service and the Greek Salad were the best part of our experience here. The other small dishes did not seem super fresh, like the spanakopita and the bean salad. The Greek red wine I selected also seemed stale, although the Greek white wine selected by our server was better. I will not return here.
- diningoutDined on 8/2/2014We had not been there in a long time and were pleasantly surprised in the spruced up decor and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Ethos Restaurant - Great Neck reviews archive.
- Will be back!LVNYCVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food is great, and portions are large. Save room for dessert, because you'll get a little piece of Greek pastry on the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014authentic greek food in a beautiful setting. Service was great and friendly. definitely worth checking out if your looking for a greek restaurant and dont want to trek into Astoria
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/23/2014Ordered king prawns and the order consisted of 2 prawnsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood restaurantLovewaterfrontshacksDined on 6/21/2014The food, the service and the ambiance were all good, not outstanding, but good. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Always good food, except ...FundguyVIPDined on 5/17/2014We have dined here several times. It is not high end food, but almost everything we've tried has been good or very good -- and you really can't go wrong with their perfectly grilled, always fresh, whole fish. But this time my wife ordered the lemon-chicken soup, and I'm sorry to say it was a tasteless, gloppy mess. We tried adding salt, then pepper, but nothing helped. So stay away from that, enjoy their other fine dishes, and you'll have a pleasant time.Special Features:
- mother's daycherluiVIPDined on 5/11/2014My daugther and I went on Mother's day and it was the 2nd time dining there. The first time the grilled octupus was very good. On Mother's day it was a very limited menu. My daughter's grilled lamb kebob was very chewy. I don't think I will be returning there any time soon.Special Features:
- AsheeVIPDined on 5/3/2014Good spot but food way over cooked but great service & very homely
- Great food and serviceForkedDined on 5/2/2014Food always excellent. Everything we have tried has been tasty and prepared to perfection. Service is friendly and fast. The Grilled Calamari is the best I've tasted. Salmon excellent.Special Features:
- Fish ExpertsNewlureviewVIPDined on 4/27/2014We had the salmon tartar special and grilled octopus. Both fresh and delicious. The whole fish we chose for our entrees were perfectly cooked. Service was very nice. We go back to this restaurant often. We have hosted dinner here for a group as well and loved it.Special Features:
- Too little too lateOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/26/2014Although the food was good and the maître d very nice we waited more than a half hour from our reservation to be seated. there were empty tables but they wouldn't seat us "waiting for a big party" that never materialized.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodForkedDined on 4/25/2014Greek food at its best. All dishes fresh and prepared perfectly. Recommend the Grilled Calamari, Grilled Salmon, Pear Salad. But can not go wrong here. Very friendly wait staff. Nice atmosphere. A bit more expensive then most Greek restaurants but worth itSpecial Features:
- Not completely soldWenchVIPDined on 3/21/2014Ethos is hit and miss for us. We ate here with a group of 8, our second visit, and everyone seemed to be pleased. My husband had a steak and it was really good, but the side of mashed potatoes were like glue. Bleck. I ordered the lamb shank which was also very good, but the side of orzo was not good. It was just orzo smothered in tomato sauce. Not sure when we'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice and attentive waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/14/2014very nice and attentive waiter who was very helpful. the early bird dinner was great and the food was delicious. it was our first time there and we cannot wait to return
- Fish fish!LuluDined on 2/22/2014My group (4) all had whole fish, brought in fresh that afternoon. It was simple and outrageous...only bones left on the plate! We'd absolutely make this our half-way meeting place form now on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayImbyDined on 2/14/2014Everything was very nice. Food was very good. Scallops appetizer/ filet mignon-delish. Waiter seemed a bit new, but will get it down. Live jazz. Very nice night. I recommend this place. Noise level rating solely due to Live Jazz playing-nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had aproblem with the glasscantstnadthenoiseVIPDined on 1/26/2014Had aproblem with the glass of Chardonnay that I ordered . Waiter changed it with no questions asked and no charge. We were also served a delicious pastry dessert compliments of the house. Very gracious treatment.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantjoanDined on 1/24/2014The food is outstanding. The service superb. You will love being there. You have to try it to see for yourself that it is a culinary experience. Good appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishJubeVIPDined on 1/11/2014We have been here before and each time we enjoy the most wonderful selection of fresh fish. Preparation is superb and service is very attentive. Along with the fish we enjoy the varied selection of. traditional Greek appetizers. Every meal ends with a complimentary sampling of wonderful Greek pastries for the table. Best of all this meal won't break the bank. Can't wait to go back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ethos WednesdayBybesVIPDined on 12/4/2013Food was good but they were out of octopus which really put a damper on the appetizer I ordered plus a singer midweek... noise level too much.Special Features:
- We were a party of 7 on aOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/18/2012We were a party of 7 on a Wednesday night. It had rained heavily all day. Maybe that's why there was only one other table taken. Naturally, it was quiet in the room, and we had all the attention we could ask for. Most of our party really liked their entrees, but two who ordered the salmon were not happy. They were too dry and too thick for their tastes. The whole bronzini, however, was marvelous, as was the swordfish. The restaurant is nicely decorated, and the chairs are roomy and comfortable. This is a good choice for Greek/Mediterranean food.
- Excellent service and I amQuentinDined on 7/9/2012Excellent service and I am sure it will be much more crowded when they get a liquor license.
- Good food. Could have beenNYEatzDined on 7/9/2012Good food. Could have been an off day, but wouldn't call this place a scene. Service was great!Special Features:
- Restaurant in a downward spiralRightwriteVIPDined on 7/4/2012Restaurant has changed ownership and does NOT have a liquor license. Sign outside declares "BYOB, No Corkage Charge." Duh. New Ownership, despite lack of license) selectively & surreptitiously offers bottles of wine to CERTAIN guests to keep them from going elsewhere to dine. The food stays fairly palatable but the entire experience from kitchen to staff to management, seems uninvolved and disinterested in providing a satisfactory experience
- Very relaxed, cozy, excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2012Very relaxed, cozy, excellent service.... Best whole fish!Special Features: