401 H Street NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ethiopicrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 675-2066
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Ethiopian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Ethiopic
Ethiopic Restaurant focuses on Ethiopian cuisine and culture. Traditional Ethiopian ingredients are introduced to evoke the true taste of Ethiopia. Ethiopic’s authentic Ethiopian food menu will feature vegetarian, meat, poultry, and fish. Ethiopic Restaurant is proud to be the first Ethiopian Restaurant on the H Street Corridor and intends to cater to a wide customer base. We want everyone to feel welcome and entertained.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ethiopic reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (61)good for groups (32)special occasion (31)romantic (27)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Delicious and FunMNFoodieDined on 11/15/2014While visiting D.C. over the weekend, we wanted to try something unique and saw Ethiopic online and decided to give it a try. It was excellent! The three people at our table each ordered something different, and all shared as per our server's suggestion. She also described many of the menu items to us before ordering and gave us her own recommendations. Everything was delicious, and it was a very fun and unique dining experience. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If You Like Ethiopian Food, Try This Place.TastyFoodSeekerDined on 11/14/2014I tried this restaurant because a friend wanted to try Ethiopian food. The food was good quality, but I discovered that I'm not a big fan of Ethiopian food. I would recommend the restaurant, though, if you like Ethiopian food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic on H StreetChrisMVIPDined on 11/7/2014The food at Ethiopic is authentic and really good. Nice service too. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Janelle GordonNelleDined on 10/28/2014Nice ambience; the lighting and artwork is just right. The food is great, but I wish they offered teff injera.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met my expectationsnesrobin4VIPDined on 10/25/2014This was my first visit so I ordered the popular vegetarian sampler. I highly recommend it because it gives you a chance to sample many dishes in one setting. I received excellent service from all staff which I think is an interesting service tactic. I really enjoyed the meal and I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Great Ethiopian food, pleasant atmosphere, and the waitress was extremely helpful in suggesting possibilities for an infrequent visitor to Ethiopian restaurants. An easy (3/4 mile) walk from my hotel on the campus of Gallaudet. Hope to return someday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AhmesugenalewMom2SixDined on 10/17/2014A lovely dinner with terrific service. Our server was so helpful and a delight to talk to...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EthiopicJanandLouanneluv2dineDined on 10/16/2014This is a great place. We have been several times, dined in and gotten take out. Always good!Special Features:
- Lives up to the reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Tried Ethiopic for dinner with a friend on Saturday night. Service was very friendly, and made good recommendations for first-timers (Ethiopic Signature Tibs and Doro Key Wot) . The food was delicious. Definitely will return to try the more on the menu!Special Features:
- Delicious!StephanieDined on 10/1/2014Amazing Ethiopian food and nice intimate atmosphere.Special Features:
- What a blast!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014One of the highlights of our vacation in D.C.! Coming from South Dakota, where spaghetti is considered a foreign food, it was wonderful to find a place to experience something REALLY different! The ambience was good, the service was VERY friendly and helpful, and the whole experience was well worth it. The neighborhood is safe and fun to walk through from the Metro. Tip: split the Vegetarian II platter, and just go with it! Don't ask what it is, just enjoy the whole experience, which includes having no silverware!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't wait for the streetcarFormerFedVIPDined on 9/20/2014Went to Ethiopic before hearing Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" performed by the Great Noise Ensemble at the Atlas Performing Arts Center. The place was a bit noisy, due largely to the H Street Festival going on outside. The Azifa salad was the best version of that dish I had since the Red Sea in Adams-Morgan closed. The beef tibs were very tasty. Definitely worth the walk from Union Station.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful.RenzDined on 9/14/2014Delightful. We enjoyed our night out experiencing a high quality food with our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Knew?!JillVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I were in DC for a few days and stumbled upon Ethiopic online when looking for cool places for dinner. Neither of us had ever had ethiopian food before and weren't too sure what to expect. We decided to get the beef and chicken sampler because we had not idea what all the dishes were. It was a great choice for first timers! Warning, however, most of the food we had was super spicy. That was fine for us as we like it that way, but you'd want to be careful to ask for mild dishes if you're not into hot. I also had no clue that you basically eat with your hands, which was a fun experience!Special Features:
- Delicious as always.RustyDined on 9/12/2014A little busy on a Friday night but that can be forgiven. The Lamb Tibs are amazing! Try the samplers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeicepuruDined on 9/12/2014Really enjoyed the restaurant! Delicious food and we couldn't finish it. Yum!Special Features:
- Really delicious!JakkiDined on 9/12/2014I've been to a bunch of Ethiopian restaurants and this was one if the best. Its a bit more upscale, but the food is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, service could get betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014the place was nice, food was not the best I've had (I'm Ethiopian) but it was good. But the service was bad. We sat outside and the waitress only came to take orders and to bring the food, one of us had to go inside like 3 or 4 times to find her to add something, ask for the bill....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible Service!CheriCoCoVIPDined on 9/11/2014I went in with a group of 15 people and the manager told us we had to be quiet because we were making too much noise. Well, it is difficult for a group of FIFTEEN to be quiet. Also, the manager would not accommodate us with separate bills. She was so adamant about not giving us separate bills that she told us to leave. What horrible service! What happened to trying to work out issues with the customer? They lost a huge amount of money that day simply because they accepted a large group reservation but could not actually accommodate a large group. Then to get nasty about it...how rude! I will not patron this restaurant again.
- Great for first timersSFnativeDined on 9/10/2014This was my second time having Ethiopian food and my friend's first time. We agreed the dishes were very flavorful. The injera was not as sour as my previous experience, which made it much more palatable. Overall, the food was fantastic. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful. The decor is elegant, much nicer than I expected.Special Features:
- Service has really droppedMLH13Dined on 9/5/2014We were really surprised at how much the service had dropped during out last visit. (We have been regulars for a while). They simply don't have enough staff to adequately manage all of the tables on a busy evening. We were pretty much forgotten after the food was delivered. The restaurant is dark and while they delivered candles to most of the tables, they forgot us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies delightPateDined on 8/21/2014FRESH! The vegetarian entree was delicious! Each flavor distinct to the palate We have been there several times but the chef outdid him/her self Wonderfully spiced Lovely presentation Our guests loved their meal as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014lovely and inviting space; warm and helpful staff; delicious food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent food, great ambiancepdxfoodsterDined on 8/19/2014went here with a group of friends, very cute restaurant! our server was great, friendly, and knowledgeable. the food was so-so for me, but everyone else seemed to really like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the foodfoodiegirlDined on 8/16/2014The vegetable medley and beef tibs are amazing and the service is friendly. My only real complaint is the noise level, which was overwhelming when we first entered the restaurant and at times interfered with our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayDateNightDined on 8/16/2014LOVE LOVE LOVE! I am an ethiopian food addic! The best place I had found in the area was in Silver Spring...until I tried Ethiopic out. So glad I found this restaurant. It is much closer and a much greater ambience. LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in WashingtonatwarDined on 8/16/2014I think this is one of the best restaurants in Washington. I love Ethiopian food and I have yet to find a better place in this country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ethiopian foodohottamaleVIPDined on 8/10/2014I'm not a huge fan of Ethiopian, but Ethiopic's food was delicious. Service was okay, but not great, but I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Ethiopian excellence703dinersVIPDined on 8/9/2014The sampler platters of wot are the way to go. We got the vegetarian and meat ones - plenty of food plus a great and delicious overview. One suggestion : add some South African wines to the wine by the glass list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerJCF345Dined on 8/8/2014My wife grew up down the street from a fantastic Ethiopian restaurant in California, so she has pretty high standards. I brought her to Ethiopic on a colleague's recommendation and she loved it! Portion size was good, we got Lamb Tibs and Kik Alecha which both tasted superb, and the servers were very nice. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/3/2014Food was fast and delicious. I was surprised by the number of people there on a Sunday night, so I'm glad we made the reservation. We got the vegetarian 2 platter and the shiro for four people and it was the perfect amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ethiopian food (with a caveat)sweetestbaboonDined on 8/2/2014My lovely bride & I were in DC for our anniversary & out of all the Ethiopian restaurants, decided on this one. We had a wonderful meal, some of the best Ethiopian food we've ever tasted. The vegetarian sampler (get the seven item one) was divine. Unfortunately, we also ordered their "Signature Shiro", which was very disappointing indeed. Whereas the veggie sampler has some of the best-tasting & uniquely prepared dishes we've ever had (& we've been all over the country eating Ethiopian!), this dish was the exact opposite- bland, much too hot (temperature), & very soupy. So we highly recommend Ethipoic, but with two caveats- sadly avoid the Shiro, & definitely take a cab- walking takes you thru some sketchiness (& my girl's from Trenton!).
- Fantastic!ChaneilDined on 7/30/2014We ordered the vegetarian platter with fish. It was delicious. We also loved the Ethiopian coffee and spiced tea. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 470 reviews are from the Ethiopic reviews archive.
- Great intro to Ethiopian foodJonCDined on 7/29/2014I had never eaten Ethiopian food, but had a great time. Staff were really helpful talking us through the menu, we got a tasting platter, and had a fantastic time. Great mix of spicy and milder food, all really well cooked. Excellent!Special Features:
- Slow serviceKateDined on 7/27/2014Good food. Service extremely slow. Servers unable to describe menu options/ dishes. We had to flag down staff for every request – drinks, ordering food, wine,etc. then had to wait more than 40 minutes from the time we finished our food to get our bill & change.Special Features:
- Neighborhood spotDaniDinesDined on 7/26/2014This is a good place for a simple meal of good quality Ethiopian food. The price is a somewhat high and the service can be spotty, even though all of the staff is very kind. A Manhattan from the bar was really not mixed well, and it took quite a while to get our order, even though the place was not packed full. I would probably not recommend eating there, but rather the take-away is a better option.
- New FavoriteJanandLouanneluv2dineDined on 7/26/2014This is our new favorite Ethiopian Place. Good food, clean, excellent service.Special Features:
- Remind me of EthiopiaEthiopicruleDined on 7/26/2014Great food, service, and environment. My wife and I loved it so much that we both took our friends to dine with us on multiple occasions and our friends also loved the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite and amazing flavors.Tea4twoDined on 7/24/2014Gastronomic greatness and goodness for lovers of Ethiopian cuisine. Attentive and friendly wait staff make for an enjoyable dining experience in an intimate but comfortable setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014They were a bit overpriced for Ethiopian that I am used to in DC and was tasted just the same as cheaper places. I also felt rushed, the waitress basically told us that we had to leave because other people were waiting on our table shortly after we paid. We hadn't been sitting there that long and I do realize they were crowded, but it seemed kind of rude to me.Special Features: