401 H Street NE
Washington, DC 20002Neighborhood:
H Street Corridor
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ethiopicrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2026752066
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Ethiopian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Ethiopic
Ethiopic Restaurant focuses on Ethiopian cuisine and culture. Traditional Ethiopian ingredients are introduced to evoke the true taste of Ethiopia. Ethiopic’s authentic Ethiopian food menu will feature vegetarian, meat, poultry, and fish. Ethiopic Restaurant is proud to be the first Ethiopian Restaurant on the H Street Corridor and intends to cater to a wide customer base. We want everyone to feel welcome and entertained.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ethiopic reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (67)good for groups (40)special occasion (31)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (23)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (12)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Foodies delightPateDined on 8/21/2014FRESH! The vegetarian entree was delicious! Each flavor distinct to the palate We have been there several times but the chef outdid him/her self Wonderfully spiced Lovely presentation Our guests loved their meal as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014lovely and inviting space; warm and helpful staff; delicious food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent food, great ambiancepdxfoodsterDined on 8/19/2014went here with a group of friends, very cute restaurant! our server was great, friendly, and knowledgeable. the food was so-so for me, but everyone else seemed to really like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the foodfoodiegirlDined on 8/16/2014The vegetable medley and beef tibs are amazing and the service is friendly. My only real complaint is the noise level, which was overwhelming when we first entered the restaurant and at times interfered with our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayDateNightDined on 8/16/2014LOVE LOVE LOVE! I am an ethiopian food addic! The best place I had found in the area was in Silver Spring...until I tried Ethiopic out. So glad I found this restaurant. It is much closer and a much greater ambience. LOVED IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in WashingtonatwarDined on 8/16/2014I think this is one of the best restaurants in Washington. I love Ethiopian food and I have yet to find a better place in this country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ethiopian foodohottamaleVIPDined on 8/10/2014I'm not a huge fan of Ethiopian, but Ethiopic's food was delicious. Service was okay, but not great, but I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Ethiopian excellence703dinersVIPDined on 8/9/2014The sampler platters of wot are the way to go. We got the vegetarian and meat ones - plenty of food plus a great and delicious overview. One suggestion : add some South African wines to the wine by the glass list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerJCF345Dined on 8/8/2014My wife grew up down the street from a fantastic Ethiopian restaurant in California, so she has pretty high standards. I brought her to Ethiopic on a colleague's recommendation and she loved it! Portion size was good, we got Lamb Tibs and Kik Alecha which both tasted superb, and the servers were very nice. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/3/2014Food was fast and delicious. I was surprised by the number of people there on a Sunday night, so I'm glad we made the reservation. We got the vegetarian 2 platter and the shiro for four people and it was the perfect amount of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ethiopian food (with a caveat)sweetestbaboonDined on 8/2/2014My lovely bride & I were in DC for our anniversary & out of all the Ethiopian restaurants, decided on this one. We had a wonderful meal, some of the best Ethiopian food we've ever tasted. The vegetarian sampler (get the seven item one) was divine. Unfortunately, we also ordered their "Signature Shiro", which was very disappointing indeed. Whereas the veggie sampler has some of the best-tasting & uniquely prepared dishes we've ever had (& we've been all over the country eating Ethiopian!), this dish was the exact opposite- bland, much too hot (temperature), & very soupy. So we highly recommend Ethipoic, but with two caveats- sadly avoid the Shiro, & definitely take a cab- walking takes you thru some sketchiness (& my girl's from Trenton!).
- Fantastic!ChaneilDined on 7/30/2014We ordered the vegetarian platter with fish. It was delicious. We also loved the Ethiopian coffee and spiced tea. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great intro to Ethiopian foodJonCDined on 7/29/2014I had never eaten Ethiopian food, but had a great time. Staff were really helpful talking us through the menu, we got a tasting platter, and had a fantastic time. Great mix of spicy and milder food, all really well cooked. Excellent!Special Features:
- Slow serviceKateDined on 7/27/2014Good food. Service extremely slow. Servers unable to describe menu options/ dishes. We had to flag down staff for every request – drinks, ordering food, wine,etc. then had to wait more than 40 minutes from the time we finished our food to get our bill & change.Special Features:
- Neighborhood spotDaniDinesDined on 7/26/2014This is a good place for a simple meal of good quality Ethiopian food. The price is a somewhat high and the service can be spotty, even though all of the staff is very kind. A Manhattan from the bar was really not mixed well, and it took quite a while to get our order, even though the place was not packed full. I would probably not recommend eating there, but rather the take-away is a better option.
- New FavoriteJanandLouanneluv2dineDined on 7/26/2014This is our new favorite Ethiopian Place. Good food, clean, excellent service.Special Features:
- Remind me of EthiopiaEthiopicruleDined on 7/26/2014Great food, service, and environment. My wife and I loved it so much that we both took our friends to dine with us on multiple occasions and our friends also loved the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite and amazing flavors.Tea4twoDined on 7/24/2014Gastronomic greatness and goodness for lovers of Ethiopian cuisine. Attentive and friendly wait staff make for an enjoyable dining experience in an intimate but comfortable setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/18/2014They were a bit overpriced for Ethiopian that I am used to in DC and was tasted just the same as cheaper places. I also felt rushed, the waitress basically told us that we had to leave because other people were waiting on our table shortly after we paid. We hadn't been sitting there that long and I do realize they were crowded, but it seemed kind of rude to me.Special Features:
- Great dinner at a charming eateryAAGVegetarianDined on 7/17/2014We had a wonderful dining experience. The menu was a little confusing as we had never had Ethiopian cuisine before. Our waitress was very helpful and made some excellent suggestions. She explained how to use the injera (flat bread) to eat our meal. The food was fantastic, very well spiced and unusual. Lots of excellent choices for vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spicy food as expectedDiner42Dined on 7/17/2014Spicier than some other places but good. Seating is table style and not in a circle. Great for a group of friends to share the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time but not lastmmasseyDined on 7/16/2014The staff was very attentive without hovering. Our server was very helpful with our youngest member who was reluctant to try something new as well as our older members who were afraid of spicy curries. Everyone left happy and full. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodDineontheflyDined on 7/13/2014I enjoyed my meal. Great appearance and feel. No loud music playing so I didn't have to strain to hear my dinner guest. However, the restaurant is small and I imagine that it fills up quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014We really enjoyed trying the food and the staff was very helpful in explaining things and making suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorites!New2DCDined on 7/11/2014This is one of my favorite DC gems! Love introducing new people to the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EthiopicpleasantdiningDined on 7/6/2014Superb food and presentation. The service was gracious, impeccable, never intrusive. A calm environment, no loud music, a treat to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Ethiopian foodfirsttimeethiopianeaterDined on 6/28/2014This was my first time eating Ethiopian food, and it certainly will not be the last. I shared a lamb and a chicken dish with my sister, and they were both outstanding. The food was flavorful, filling, and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- nice atmosphere, so-so foodmedrenDined on 6/28/2014Ethiopic is a very pleasant place to dine, but the food is just okay. The meat in the lamb dish we ordered was very tough and hard to chew.
- Ethiopic OutingweeatVIPDined on 6/27/2014We, as a group, were there for the Friday lunch and it was fantastic. The sampler was a good way to experience the different side dishes & include the fish offerings with it. The fish was succulent and moist on the inside and crispy on the outside, what a treat!! The clay pots of beef and lamb were moist and spice just right. What a great find!!Special Features:
- Pleasantly Surprised!CalifAttyDined on 6/26/2014First time trying Ethiopian food. Our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. We all enjoyed the variety offered by the Sampler Platters. The food was delicious and ranged from mild to spicy. We ordered two sample platters at the suggestion of our waitress since there were four in our group. We also ordered the lamb entree. Way too much food. One platter plus the lamb would have been plenty. The price was extremely reasonable. A bargain for the quality of the food and the level of service. If you haven't tried Ethiopian and the fun of eating with your hands (using their bread) you need to go! They do offer utensils but much more fun eating the authentic way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemYokiDined on 6/26/2014My boyfriend is vegan and sometimes menus are challenging: there is never enough variety. Ethiopic had many options for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceeded expectaionsUSAfricaentrepreneurDined on 6/26/2014Ethiopian community can be proud of this restaurant in every way. And washingtonians dont know what lovely food and joyful atmosphere they are missing until they try this. My main guests at the table were a South African vegetarian and a South Asian. Both loved the food and the happy vibe.Special Features:
- NicemamaDined on 6/21/2014Really spicy but excellent food! We brought our young kids who eat Pakistani and Indian food but they could not eat the spicy dishes here, there was one chicken dish that my 12 year old non spice eater liked and they all loved the Injeera. My husband ordered lamb which he devoured and I tasted only the vegetable part of as I dont eat meat and it was delicious! I would come back here only problem is not the best neighborhood and got lost getting there from 395.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/19/2014Comparing to other restaurance in DC area, the food was OK. The server was great. However, owner/manger does not give you time to enjoy. They rush you out.Special Features:
- InspireddinerDined on 6/13/2014My friends and I had a lovely time there. The help staff helpful, the food really good. Very nice timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special dinnermj171151Dined on 6/13/2014Visiting Washington DC and wanted a special dinner --did research and this restaurant was everything that the reviews said it was. The service was great, the food very special, you will want to make reservations--it will be worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and delicious!!FeedMeDeliciousDined on 6/1/2014Unlike typical ethiopian restaurants in the DC area, Ethiopic pays attention to the details of presentations and give you visually appealing, fresh, perfectly seasoned dishes! They also bring an ethiopian bread basket on the house while you are waiting for your food!! I love this place👍👍!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this foodJrodDined on 6/1/2014First time eating Ethiopian food. I miss it already!Special Features:
- driven out by the noiseskipflipDined on 5/27/2014Food seemed as expected for Ethiopian, that is to say, tasty, and service was friendly. But we rushed to finish and get out of the incessant din.Special Features:
- High-end EthiopianCulinaryExplorerDined on 5/23/2014Usually I find the best Ethiopian food at holes-in-the-wall, but Ethiopic, with it's high end feel, contemporary decor, and classical music, absolutely delivered. The food, though a bit pricier than most Ethiopian restaurants, was excellent. For four of us, we split the largest vegetarian sampler and two meat dishes, and there was more than enough food. Great flavors, Ethiopian wine and beer, and great service. Make a reservation or get there early because it filled up very quickly.Special Features: