700 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.estragontapas.com/
- Phone: 617 266 0443x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Julio de Haro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Estragon has a semi-private dining area that can comfortably accommodate up to 20 seated guests. You can also reserve our lounge area for parties up to 12 guests (seated) or 20 guests (standing cocktail-style).
- Private Party Contact: Lara Egger 6172660443x
A word from Estragon
Estragon Tapas Bar: your slice of Spain in the South End. Estragon is owned and operated by Julio de Haro and Lara Egger. Chef Julio was born and raised in Madrid and his cuisine reflects the fresh simplicity of traditional Spanish fare. Many of the dishes are family recipes, served straight from Abu Luisa's kitchen to your table. To complement Estragon's extensive tapas menu, you'll find a unique cocktail list featuring oft' forgotten classic cocktails, a selection of over twenty local and craft beers, and an all-Spanish wine list with more than 100 references spanning both the country's established and emerging wine regions. An evening at Estragon is unlike any other dining experience. The decor-- art deco meets vintage chic-- provides an inviting, sophisticated setting perfect for any occasion. The Estragon family: Brian, Loren, Joseph, Sahil, Fluffy, Sean, Tony, Whitney,Paula, Charissa, Mama, Duber, Freddy, Yesi, Pedro, Lara & Julio welcome you to their home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Estragon reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (29)romantic (21)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (13)notable wine list (11)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- ExcellentanonymousDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful combination and variety of superb tastes.Special Features:
- Amazing Tapas Place!RachintherockDined on 8/21/2014This hidden gem is truly fantastic! The choices of tapas are varied and all delicious. You can get everything from octopus to chips. In addition they have great portion sizes and a wonderful ambiance and decor. I would highly recommend this place. It's great for groups because you can easily try everyone's dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyDined on 8/16/2014Food was great. Ambience would be better without the TV. Noise was a little more than I like.Special Features:
- hit or miss tapasJC11Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent service from our waiter but the food was sadly inconsistent. The fried artichokes and patatas bravas were great, as was the stuffed trout. Unfortunately our garlic shrimp came out watery and severely overcooked and rubbery.
- Excellent food!SuFrazDined on 7/26/2014For a place a little removed I wasn't sure if it would be any good but it definitely was. Delicious food and drinks. Get the scallops or the fried oysters or the mushrooms. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Dinner with FriendsDiningAsANewParentDined on 7/25/2014Great food, great service and great scene. I love the multitude of menu choices. Each item we picked was delicious. I also loved the way the room was divided. There was a large leather sectional, that divided the restaurant and created a small dinning room in the front. As a new parent I was happy to see that family could eat in this section without mixing with the vibrant bar scene in the back half of the restaurant. Making reservations online was very easy and the staff was very helpful when it came to recommendations. Can't wait to go back, maybe with baby!Special Features:
- Angellike5Dined on 7/25/2014I have been to this amazing place approx 10 times in the last year. Every single visit was amazing. The food is fun and delish and the servers are personable and great at their job. They dont rush you and they explain it all.Special Features:
- Great Tapaskp3398Dined on 7/17/2014We love this place. Cozy lounge seating in the back with dim lighting. Great for couples night out or getting together with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine meal with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a lovely evening with friends visiting galleries in the South End - a very enjoyable event celebrated the first Friday of every month. A quick stroll away is Estragon, with a Spanish menu and wine list. Tapas surpassed expectations - fried mushrooms with garlic, chorizo on toast and a lovely arugula salad full of tasty surprises, accompanied by a white wine from Spain. We shared a paella that was a bit disappointing - although the rice was tasty, there was just not enough flavor in either rice or fish. Service was friendly and the locale itself very attractive. Yes, I'd go back and specialize in small plates instead.
- Good service, okay foodNyneveVIPDined on 7/11/2014I went to Estragon Friday night with my boyfriend. Our first mistake was sitting outside, given that there's a police station and hospital in proximity. However, our server was really friendly and helpful, gave us recommendations, and made sure our food came out in a timely manner. We ordered the artichokes, gambas, pulpito, patatas bravas, and hamburger. The gambas were the best out of all the food we ordered. The artichokes tasted oily and the patatas bravas sauce didn't have a kick. The food was mediocre, but plentiful - American portions. I didn't try the hamburger, but when my boyfriend took a bite out of it, the juice splashed down his sleeve, ruining his shirt. Needless to say, despite the nice waiter, we didn't stay for dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Relocating to Boston after living in Andalucia for 8 years, we were craving tapa y vino espanol. Estragon was just the right place! Our selection of tapas were wonderful, from very delightful staples (tortilla, pimintos y aceitunas) to delicately fried artichoke hearts, to mussels, octopus and lamb (pinchitos morunos). A delightful surprise was the Potaje Andaluz One of our group ordered a perfect jumilla from Juan Gil - perfecto! Thanks Estragon!!Special Features:
- JackVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great Spanish meal. Nice choices and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Tapas restaurantFlyinginfordinnerDined on 6/23/2014Why people wait hours to get into Toro when they could walk into Estragon is beyond me. Don't let the outside looks fool you. It's not an out of business convenience store. The food is Outstanding and the service is great. And you can have a conversation. My companion who dines out most every night tested them with a variety of orders and was very impressed with the attention to detail and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasurelk2014Dined on 6/21/2014This is truly a special place for me to go. Every item on the menu is unique - each time I try something new, I am pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Amazing TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/17/2014A co-worker recommended Estragon for a group dinner. It was amazing...great selection of tapas great drink selection. Waiter was very helpful in our selection offering great recommendations. Real neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnexpectedStephenVIPDined on 6/12/2014The place looks like a sports bar, but the food and the service is outstanding!
- very impressedAcertainflounderDined on 6/9/2014Estragon is fantastic. Excellent tasty food, cocktails that are skillfully designed and prepared (tried their fig old fashioned and grapefruit gimlet, both wonderful), low key but lovely decor. I loved every part of the dining experience but the food is definitely the star. For tapas, the portions are very generous. I also love that for all the sophistication and skill of the menu, this place is decidedly down-to-earth and unpretentious. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2014Very good tapas--love the chickpeas. Service can be spotty, but was very good this time. I think the number of wines by the glass has decreased, or certainly changed, which is too bad. Well worth a trip.Special Features:
- Tapas beyond the usualpwbeantownDined on 5/29/20143 of us enjoyed shrimp in garlic sauce, asparagus, BBQ short rib flatbread, sautéed spinach. Not in love with the chickpea dish--too dry. Helpful wait staff, reasonable portions and prices.Special Features:
- TinyPKDined on 5/24/2014The sangria is delicious but deadly, our duck confit was amazing as well as the goat cheese with tomato. The staff was very understanding about our party being smaller than anticipated and were overall very nice.Special Features:
- TerrificSalem68Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent food with outstanding service. A truly wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but noisy450painterDined on 5/16/2014For four of us getting together for dinner and conversation it was the wrong pick. The noise level was si high we were yelling over the very active bar scene. And we were at the quietest table they had. The food was good but nothing spectacular.Special Features:
- What funArtwhirlDined on 5/6/2014For a first timer it was tough to not over order. Save room for Lauren's homemade ice cream. Eager to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!outtolunchDined on 5/2/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in the SouthEnd. I have been coming here for several years and have never had a bad dish yet. Creative and flavorful food, a fun place to meet with friends, knowledgeable and attentive service. Always crowded, so make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly, delicious nightspotqueensprofmamaDined on 5/2/2014We had a group reunion of 8 ladies and we ordered a variety of tapas and drinks. All of them were delicious! And our waiter was so helpful and friendly. Really had a wonderful time! Highly recommend the artichoke hearts!Special Features:
- The following 457 reviews are from the Estragon reviews archive.
- Great gem of a placeAngellike5Dined on 4/18/2014The food is always amazing and fun to eat. Its a great place to go with friends or as a couple. The waiters are always beyond accommodating and never rush you during your meal. I love eating Tapas because it gives me a million things to eat in one sitting because it is small portions. I highly recommend that you make reservations, ask to sit near a window so you aren't in the middle of the restaurant and bring plan on being there for an hour minimum.Special Features:
- Unlike Toro, you can get a table!SoWAGuyDined on 4/11/2014Great food, decent bar and calm atmosphere make Estragon a neighborhood gem. Particularly fond of the grilled octopus, veggie paella, eggplant fries, artichoke hearts, and calamari; desserts weren't such a hit, though. Best part: the place was hopping but we were able to get a reservation just a few hours earlier and didn't have to share a table or endure somebody breathing down our necks to vacate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TapasdiningcatDined on 4/7/2014I finally went to Estragon and will definitely be going back. The food was really excellent and the service was wonderful. We tried several of the tapas and it would be hard to say which was my favorite as they were all delicious! A great place to go for a wonderful food experience. So glad it is in my neighborhood so that I can easily go more often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014The staff was incredibly attentive the whole night. Loved the food - so many unique choices for adventurous foodies. Definitely great for a date or after-work drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas are largeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014I found the tapas quite large and a bit hit or miss. I had a great goat cheese and tomato on toast, but a not particularly good chicken and meatballs. The desert was advertised as a flourless chocolate cake, but it was really a brownie (though an excellent one).
- Great experience!TeeeVIPDined on 3/21/2014We used a Groupon for ten tapas for four. It was great! The roasted Brussels sprouts are a must. As was the huevos rotos, shrimp, calamares, tortilla espanola( a Spanish potato omelet) the Serrano and Manchego. Try the sangria by the pitcher. The waiter was terrific and the owner chef was visible.. It is a must and lots of fun trying the various tapas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tapasLilahDined on 3/20/2014Initially was disappointed that the restaurant week menu had dropped one tapas per person from the fixed price menu, but it still ended up being more than enough food. The portions were perfect for sharing and more than at some other tapas places. The dishes themselves were very tasty and flavorful- some more interesting than others, but I think we enjoyed them all. My favorites were the fried artichokes, steak on toast (can't remember the proper name), North African chickpea dish, and brussel sprouts with chorizo. The fish was only so-so, and the desserts were a little disappointing. Overall, really enjoyed our dinner here though! They also have a lot of fun cocktails and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Spanish cuisine!CnewkDined on 3/15/2014Estragon is a local restaurant serving authentic Spanish cuisine that is great to enjoy with another person or a group. Order a few tapas at a time to share with the table, take your time, and enjoy the food. There are so many delicious options available on the menu. The service was great too - they don't bother you too much or try to rush you. A fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50/50kassaDined on 3/14/2014We split four tapas which was plenty of food, for a reasonable price. Two were delicious: goat stuffed peppers and the brussel sprouts. However the other two were plain. Pork with cheese and ham was just like an uninspired corde en blue. Breaded eggplant fritters were pretty flavorless. I wished we had asked for the waitress' opinion.Special Features:
- like a trip to Spain!foodnerdVIPDined on 3/13/2014The food and ambience of Estragon is like a trip to Spain. If it were not for snow outside and the occasional bus- I could imagine myself in Barcelona. Superb attentive service, the tapas come out quickly and are hot and delicious. We had the impeccably fried artichoke hearts as well as the calamari - not a bit of grease, just yummy crispy coating and delightfully not over salted. The sea scallops were seared nicely, not overdone, as was the lamb chops with garlicky mashed cauliflower. Short rib flatbread was a huge portion, still tasty the next day! The wine list is expansive with many choices in a variety of price ranges. Can't wait till my next "trip".Special Features:
- Very good food, fun to orderJlynnDined on 3/7/2014Very good food, fun to order in waves. Bar and waitstaff were very personable. Would go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas abound!GinaDined on 3/1/2014I really enjoyed my meal at Estragon. They had an extensive menu, and my husband and I had a hard time deciding what to order, since it all sounded so delicious! We wound up ordering a carnivore's delight of lamb skewers, pork croquettes, scallops, and a serrano ham & cheese plate. We were not disappointed. If I was in the mood for tapas again, Estragon is where I'd look first.Special Features:
- Great TapasNandrewDined on 2/28/2014Delicious tapas: fried oysters, razor clam special, cubano sandwich, Galecian-style octopus, and lobster empanada (not as lobstery as we would have liked, but flakey and delicious). The 2 of us left happy and stuffed. We used a Groupon but would have been very satisfied if we had not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiencemares11Dined on 2/26/2014Our waiter was fantastic. The place is just lovely every time I come. The food is great, but even better is the hospitality and the setting. I love it here.Special Features:
- Great DinnerBarbaraWVIPDined on 2/22/20144 of us shared a variety of dishes and were very pleased with all of them. We ordered 8 dishes, and that worked out well. We also had dessert -- the ginger peach bread pudding that night was wonderful. My favorite dish was the fried artichoke hearts. Also loved the chicken livers, which you do not see very often these days.Special Features: