700 Harrison Avenue
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.estragontapas.com/
- Phone: (617) 266-0443
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Julio de Haro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Estragon has a semi-private dining area that can comfortably accommodate up to 20 seated guests. You can also reserve our lounge area for parties up to 12 guests (seated) or 20 guests (standing cocktail-style).
- Private Party Contact: Lara Egger 6172660443x
A word from Estragon
Estragon Tapas Bar: your slice of Spain in the South End. Estragon is owned and operated by Julio de Haro and Lara Egger. Chef Julio was born and raised in Madrid and his cuisine reflects the fresh simplicity of traditional Spanish fare. Many of the dishes are family recipes, served straight from Abu Luisa's kitchen to your table. To complement Estragon's extensive tapas menu, you'll find a unique cocktail list featuring oft' forgotten classic cocktails, a selection of over twenty local and craft beers, and an all-Spanish wine list with more than 100 references spanning both the country's established and emerging wine regions. An evening at Estragon is unlike any other dining experience. The decor-- art deco meets vintage chic-- provides an inviting, sophisticated setting perfect for any occasion. The Estragon family: Brian, Loren, Joseph, Sahil, Fluffy, Sean, Tony, Whitney,Paula, Charissa, Mama, Duber, Freddy, Yesi, Pedro, Lara & Julio welcome you to their home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Estragon reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (30)romantic (20)notable wine list (12)special occasion (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (8)hot spot (7)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Neighbourhood secretKashiwalaDined on 11/22/2014Great food, good ambiance, friendly/attentive service. This was my 4th visit, I have never been disappointed. Menu has a decent selection of vegetarian options, which makes it good for me to go out with my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Company DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014We usually pick a restaurant close to our office for our Holiday team dinner, but this year we wanted to venture into Boston. Our group's needs are complicated by Jain dietary restrictions which go above and beyond vegetarian or vegan needs. The wait staff was extremely helpful in selecting both food and beverage for our group. We thoroughly enjoyed out dinner and time together. Thank you, Estragon. We will hopefully return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks at EstragonMaryDined on 11/10/2014We came here after work for the happy hour tapas. They were wonderful, as were the drinks (I had 2 Elderflower Sours, and they were perfect.) We managed to park right in front of the door, on the street (at the meter) as it was Monday evening. Really enjoyed our visit; we will be back!Special Features:
- NeighborhoodDined on 11/7/2014Like the food and ambiance a lot, it has the feel of a neighborhood place in Spain. Really enjoyed the spicy sauce that goes with the gambas. Also the goat cheese on toast was very good. The waiter we had (tall, bald, handsome) is friendly and knowledgable in a low key way and makes you feel at home. At times the noise level gets a bit much -- so I think I'll try not to go on Friday and Saturday nights in the future, and aim more for mid-week.I would recommend this to a friend.
- South end's hidden gem!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/31/2014We have been going here for years and we have never had a bad meal, not even a bad dish. Shawn mixes amazing drinks and the wait staff is superb. On Monday's Sahil loves to experiment on new drinks and is also a treat.Special Features:
- Just like spainHappyDined on 10/31/2014These tapas take me right back and it's nice to have a place where even a picky eater can find some items to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and deliciousmbalexDined on 10/7/2014I met a friend for dinner here, and although I am familiar with the neighborhood, I didn't know about this restaurant. I found it on Open Table. We opted to eat at the bar and it was great! The tapas were delicious and the sangria rich. The specialty tamarind margarita was deliciously different. The service was excellent and I would like to go back and try some of the entrees from the extensive regular menu.Special Features:
- As alwaysLacklusterVIPDined on 9/27/2014We love this restaurant! Great service and food--every time.Special Features:
- Creative Cocktails & Great FoodMikeDined on 9/26/2014I'm a cocktail "snob" & I like a well made drink. I was quite impressed with what Estragon was able to create with their bar. They currently have a "Cordial License", which is perhaps the most confusing & stupid Liquor License ever devised, which allows them to sell several spirits & liqueurs (along with wine and beer) but not certain base spirits (although infused spirits are fine). The cocktails were just what you'd expect from any high end craft cocktail bar despite this silly license (I had an Old Fashioned, for example). The food was great. The service was excellent. The atmosphere is chic and inviting. The lounge area has a beautiful decor. I hear Full Liquor License is in the works (not that it made the slightest difference).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little findERoseyDined on 9/26/2014Great little place for some tapas! Food was good and the patrons tend to be local professionals - friendly atmosphere, highly recommended for drinks/apps among friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Tapas in South EndDaveDined on 9/18/2014I have been to just about every tapas restaurant in Boston and the surrounding area. I now have a new favorite tapas spot. Our group arrived early, and were seated. I found the wine list to include an outstanding mix of high quality wines from the top regions of Spain. We then ordered queso and jamon plates. The presentation and quality were very good. We then ordered many rounds of dishes. Highlights for us were the razor clams, the grilled baby octopus, the lamb skewers, and the mussels. We ended up drinking wines from Rioja, Ribera del Duero and Priorat. The choices were all wonderful. I felt I was back in Spain. The services was knowledgeable and very pleasant. I will be back to this gem in South End with friends/family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dshi56Dshi56Dined on 9/16/2014No worries with parking plenty of street parking and a garage next door. Great food, small plate tapas that will appeal to any palate. Great Spanish wine list and excellent Sangria. Will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not MemorableAnonymousDined on 9/12/2014It was dinner on a Friday Night for two. We have reservations far in advance but couldn't be seated until 30 minutes later because our table was still occupied. Sat at the bar to have a drink or two and waited. When we finally got to taste our 3 tapas dishes, we felt unimpressed and didn't see the charm in any of our dishes. The mussels were very bland, we typically order this when we go out and this one at Estragon was by far the worse we've had. The lamb chops on mash only came in two, which was fine but the cauliflower mash was cold. We ended up ordering an additional dish only to be disappointed even more and decided it was time to throw in the towel.
- noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/12/2014noise level awful. could not talk. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014We were one of the only tables. Bread was soggy. Scallops were cold. Lamb was overcooked. Tamarind margarita was meh. Coulda cooked up a storm for the $70 i spent.
- Nice tapas and sherryGwanderlustDined on 8/30/2014After finding a 1.5 hour wait at a more popular tapas restaurant in the neighborhood, we decided to give Estragon a try. We're so glad we did! It was quite comfortable there and the tapas servings were quite large. We tried four of them and liked three. There was nothing wrong with the fourth, it was just personal taste preference. We decided to try sherry for the first time as well. The waiter helped us select good sherries to accompany our dessert, and gave us some history behind their production. Seems to be an upcoming place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TAPAS!divinemissm17VIPDined on 8/27/2014My boyfriend and I went here for Dine Out Boston and loved it! The pre-fixe menu offered more options then the usual restaurant week menu and every item we chose was delicious! Will certainly be going there again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentanonymousDined on 8/26/2014Wonderful combination and variety of superb tastes.Special Features:
- DisappointingbostondinerDined on 8/26/2014After all the great reviews, my boyfriend and I decided to check it out. While some of the food was decent, the rest was borderline inedible. We felt so bad about sending an order of chewy, flavorless shrimp back that we got our barely-touched paella wrapped "to take home" only to throw it out in the first garbage can we saw. Way better off going to Tico in Back Bay.
- Amazing Tapas Place!RachintherockDined on 8/21/2014This hidden gem is truly fantastic! The choices of tapas are varied and all delicious. You can get everything from octopus to chips. In addition they have great portion sizes and a wonderful ambiance and decor. I would highly recommend this place. It's great for groups because you can easily try everyone's dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great authentic Spanish foodwonderTrekkVIPDined on 8/16/2014They have a Tapa's Blitz menu from 5-7pm M-th-discounted tapas. Favorites include- scallops in saffron, Alcachofas Fritas (artichokes), Galician-Style Octopus, steamed mussels, Albondigas de Buey, Croquetas de Jamón. Such a fun place to go with friends. The small plates let you try many flavors and are fun to share. Great cocktails and they also have a deli open in the day called Las Ventas which does great sandwiches and you can get chorizo sliced to go. One of my favorites and they have very reasonable prices. I lived in Barcelona and this place is truly authenticSpecial Features:
- JudyDined on 8/16/2014Food was great. Ambience would be better without the TV. Noise was a little more than I like.Special Features:
- hit or miss tapasJC11VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent service from our waiter but the food was sadly inconsistent. The fried artichokes and patatas bravas were great, as was the stuffed trout. Unfortunately our garlic shrimp came out watery and severely overcooked and rubbery.
- The following 479 reviews are from the Estragon reviews archive.
- Excellent food!SuFrazDined on 7/26/2014For a place a little removed I wasn't sure if it would be any good but it definitely was. Delicious food and drinks. Get the scallops or the fried oysters or the mushrooms. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Dinner with FriendsDiningAsANewParentDined on 7/25/2014Great food, great service and great scene. I love the multitude of menu choices. Each item we picked was delicious. I also loved the way the room was divided. There was a large leather sectional, that divided the restaurant and created a small dinning room in the front. As a new parent I was happy to see that family could eat in this section without mixing with the vibrant bar scene in the back half of the restaurant. Making reservations online was very easy and the staff was very helpful when it came to recommendations. Can't wait to go back, maybe with baby!Special Features:
- Angellike5Dined on 7/25/2014I have been to this amazing place approx 10 times in the last year. Every single visit was amazing. The food is fun and delish and the servers are personable and great at their job. They dont rush you and they explain it all.Special Features:
- Great Tapaskp3398VIPDined on 7/17/2014We love this place. Cozy lounge seating in the back with dim lighting. Great for couples night out or getting together with a group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine meal with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a lovely evening with friends visiting galleries in the South End - a very enjoyable event celebrated the first Friday of every month. A quick stroll away is Estragon, with a Spanish menu and wine list. Tapas surpassed expectations - fried mushrooms with garlic, chorizo on toast and a lovely arugula salad full of tasty surprises, accompanied by a white wine from Spain. We shared a paella that was a bit disappointing - although the rice was tasty, there was just not enough flavor in either rice or fish. Service was friendly and the locale itself very attractive. Yes, I'd go back and specialize in small plates instead.
- Good service, okay foodNyneveVIPDined on 7/11/2014I went to Estragon Friday night with my boyfriend. Our first mistake was sitting outside, given that there's a police station and hospital in proximity. However, our server was really friendly and helpful, gave us recommendations, and made sure our food came out in a timely manner. We ordered the artichokes, gambas, pulpito, patatas bravas, and hamburger. The gambas were the best out of all the food we ordered. The artichokes tasted oily and the patatas bravas sauce didn't have a kick. The food was mediocre, but plentiful - American portions. I didn't try the hamburger, but when my boyfriend took a bite out of it, the juice splashed down his sleeve, ruining his shirt. Needless to say, despite the nice waiter, we didn't stay for dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Relocating to Boston after living in Andalucia for 8 years, we were craving tapa y vino espanol. Estragon was just the right place! Our selection of tapas were wonderful, from very delightful staples (tortilla, pimintos y aceitunas) to delicately fried artichoke hearts, to mussels, octopus and lamb (pinchitos morunos). A delightful surprise was the Potaje Andaluz One of our group ordered a perfect jumilla from Juan Gil - perfecto! Thanks Estragon!!Special Features:
- JackVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great Spanish meal. Nice choices and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Tapas restaurantFlyinginfordinnerDined on 6/23/2014Why people wait hours to get into Toro when they could walk into Estragon is beyond me. Don't let the outside looks fool you. It's not an out of business convenience store. The food is Outstanding and the service is great. And you can have a conversation. My companion who dines out most every night tested them with a variety of orders and was very impressed with the attention to detail and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasurelk2014VIPDined on 6/21/2014This is truly a special place for me to go. Every item on the menu is unique - each time I try something new, I am pleasantly surprised.Special Features:
- Amazing TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/17/2014A co-worker recommended Estragon for a group dinner. It was amazing...great selection of tapas great drink selection. Waiter was very helpful in our selection offering great recommendations. Real neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnexpectedStephenVIPDined on 6/12/2014The place looks like a sports bar, but the food and the service is outstanding!
- very impressedAcertainflounderDined on 6/9/2014Estragon is fantastic. Excellent tasty food, cocktails that are skillfully designed and prepared (tried their fig old fashioned and grapefruit gimlet, both wonderful), low key but lovely decor. I loved every part of the dining experience but the food is definitely the star. For tapas, the portions are very generous. I also love that for all the sophistication and skill of the menu, this place is decidedly down-to-earth and unpretentious. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2014Very good tapas--love the chickpeas. Service can be spotty, but was very good this time. I think the number of wines by the glass has decreased, or certainly changed, which is too bad. Well worth a trip.Special Features:
- Tapas beyond the usualpwbeantownDined on 5/29/20143 of us enjoyed shrimp in garlic sauce, asparagus, BBQ short rib flatbread, sautéed spinach. Not in love with the chickpea dish--too dry. Helpful wait staff, reasonable portions and prices.Special Features:
- TinyPKDined on 5/24/2014The sangria is delicious but deadly, our duck confit was amazing as well as the goat cheese with tomato. The staff was very understanding about our party being smaller than anticipated and were overall very nice.Special Features:
- TerrificSalem68Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent food with outstanding service. A truly wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.