120 Essex Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.essexnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 533-9616
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Monday - Wednesday 5pm-11pm, Thursday & Friday: 5:00pm-11:30pm, Saturday: 6:45pm-midnight, Sunday 6pm-10:30pm
BRUNCH: Saturday: 11:00am-4:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am-8:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adan Cortes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday- DJ Eric Visa
Saturday - DJ Mike Dominico
A word from Essex
Located in the historic Essex Street Market Building, Essex is a loft-like multi-level space with contemporary cuisine inspired by the flavors of the Lower East Side. Essex is known for its weekday dinner and happy hour specials as well as its lively weekend dinner and bar scene. The weekend brunch is a New York institution and is always a top pick on Open Table Diner’s Choice and other sites. The expansive layout allows for intimate balcony and banquette seating as well as festive group dining and private parties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFusion / Eclectic
Essex reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
great for brunch (92)good for groups (91)hot spot (41)vibrant bar scene (40)fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (17)late-night find (16)great for lunch (14)romantic (11)notable wine list (6)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Solid brunch choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Good for brunch, had to wait a while for our table but they gave us a free drink and 20% off the bill which is a first in NYC considering that waiting is normal at most popular places here! Food was good standard brunch with a Mexican leaning. For the veggie in our group they Haf good options for vegetarians/vegans too. The Aussie waitress's was nice and service overall was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bunch spot, Lower East SideOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Great brunch spot, fantastic food options, drinks included in the price, and we even had an extra mimosa and 2 iced coffees with no additional charges, good NYC vibe and very popular place, we felt so glad to have the OpenTable reservation when the queue started right at opening time. Would go there again anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spot for a Late Brunchdra44Dined on 11/9/2014Where else can you find a spot that not only serves brunch until 8:00 pm, serves fantastic food, with great service, all for under $30/pp including 3 Bloody Mary's?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch in the CityAlisaDined on 11/9/2014We dine here frequently because the brunch is absolutely amazing! The menu is filled with selection at a reasonable price. Definitely best for groups!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeseaterDined on 11/9/2014Place was great for a large party for brunch. The waitress was very attentive, she refilled everyone's drink the second it became empty during the two hours of bottomless brunch! Good was good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for large groupsNotAFoodieDined on 11/8/2014It's a pretty good deal for large groups. The $35 bottomless brunch is pretty affordable for unlimited drinks and a meal -- since we went for a birthday brunch it didn't feel rude to ask the whole group to pay an exorbitant amount. We had a very large group and they accommodated us. They weren't terribly friendly and at times the staff looked annoyed by customers. But... we had a lot of fun. The food was just OK but good for the cost.Special Features:
- Was disappointed with the serviceHershey1234Dined on 11/1/2014I've been here before for brunch and enjoyed it. But recently came back with guests visiting from out of town on Saturday and was extremely disappointed with the service! He was not attentive at all and I had to ask the other waiter for things. Even though our waiter was only covering two tables during that time. :-/ but the food was good, I recommend the Mexican matzo brei.Special Features:
- Love the drinks and Oyster special!TrotsVIPDined on 10/31/2014Been there twice and love it. Relaxing and reasonably priced. Right near subway. Happy hour drinks and dollar oysters until 8!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Very Organized.SouthernGirlDined on 10/26/2014Showed up at 11 am for a 11 am reservation and the staff was clearly not prepared. Food was ok. Biscuits were frozen and the sausage gravy was also not homemade. Also, the soda was flat and the wait staff never offered to correct the issue and replace the soda. Had to settle for cloudy ice tea. Who serves ice tea that is cloudy looking? Totally turned us off and ruined the rest of the meal.
- Going Away Partymichelle81188Dined on 10/24/2014My sister and I threw a joint going away party here, and had a fabulous time. They were very accommodating and understanding of our flakey friends backing out and joining at the last minute. The hostess was amazing so so nice! The food was good and everything was very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great personal touchshellyvcomDined on 10/23/2014We were a group of ten looking for late night dinner (10:30) they were very accommodating and kept the kitchen open even though we arrived closer to 11. Drinks were 1/2 price, food was excellent and they did not rush us at all even as the place emptied and midnight passed! Total bill for ten people was under $400.00Special Features:
- Amazing service.brooklynbrunchDined on 10/23/2014We came for a friends birthday and used a Gilt City voucher. They were ready for us when we arrived and our waiter (Mo) was beyond great. Super friendly, have us all food suggestions. We had a perfect time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Came here for brunch over a yr ago and had the lobster benedict so good and just recently for dinner the calamari sooo goood !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boozy BrunchBoozyDined on 10/19/2014Great time for a boozy brunch. Diverse menu and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic Brunch VenueRLB1Dined on 10/19/2014Great brunch on the LES and they take reservations. The 30-somethings loved it (and the 3 drinks that come with any brunch item)! Portion sizes were more than ample. The manager and Maitre D went out of their way to accommodate our growing group size (from 6 to 7). Would definitely return when in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appetizers, strong drinks!LanafoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014What a wonderful surprise. You really get your $ worth.Special Features:
- NYGuyInDCVIPDined on 10/18/2014OUTSTANDING food and great drinks. This place NEVER disappoints. Try the lobster mashed potatoes for sure!Special Features:
- It was Ok.pinmeupthewallDined on 10/17/2014Even with reservations, seating took an extra 25-30 mins even thought my entire party was there. Then food took about 1.5 hrs and our group didn't even order appetizers. They apologize and gave us some a free drink ticket, but then the drink ticket weren't valid for shots. probably won't be coming back here for dinner anymore. Took way too long in all aspects. Was starving. ps. it wasn't even crowded. Not sure what went wrong.Special Features:
- Boozy BrunchjessDined on 10/12/2014Good food and drinks but it's a popular, trendy place so be prepared to wait for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonably priced and tasty brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/12/2014I was anxious to try this place after reading all the reviews and we weren't disappointed. You need a reservation for Sunday brunch if you go during prime time (they turned away 2 parties in front of us without reservations). We were seated immediately in very close quarters. Service was quick and efficient and the portions were huge. We all had the bloody marys (only ok), one of us had the House Pancakes (really good), one had Eggs Benedict (also tasty) and one had a dish with Salmon as the main feature. Everything was delicious and you didn't leave hungry for sure. Despite the people waiting we were not rushed and really enjoyed the meal.Special Features:
- great night of funicebbDined on 10/9/2014we went for the $1 oyster and 1/2 price drinks all night Thursday! it was great! their cocktails were super strong and we love that! Our waiter was very good at keep refilling our drinks. As for food, we only ordered oysters and starters, most of the starters we ordered were pretty good, except the Pork Belly Tacos... not worth it. but the chef make it up to us by giving us special desserts. it was really nice of him. we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EATZVIPDined on 10/5/2014Id only been there a few years ago for Brunch and it was a bit of a nightmare, very, VERY, loud, crowded and more of a hipster scene than a dining experience. that was then, Sunday night was very quiet, the service was EXTREMELY friendly and attentive, and the food was truly delicious. seared Ahi tuna app was fantastic as were the pork belly tacos. The Broiled catfish was a bit overwhelming portion wise but very tasty as well.Special Features:
- Brunch!worldcuisineDined on 9/28/2014My friends and I were running around the city all day but had been looking forward to brunch. We needed a late brunch spot since it was the afternoon by the time we got around to getting food - this place serves brunch till 8! Incredible. Loved the food, I got the lobster benedict and apple sausage. The mimosas were a little sub-par but the other drinks were good and the service was great. Would definitely recommend for brunch!Special Features:
- fgflfgflDined on 9/27/2014It's a fun happening place. I came for brunch on a Saturday and had reservations. If you don't have reservations good luck trying to get a table. The brunch menu was great $28 for food and drinks. Your basic brunch drinks. Unfortunately I'm pregnant so I couldn't partakein the drinks but they gave me unlimited juice. The menu has a lot tto choose from. If you're looking for a quiet low key place this isn't it. Its a loud happening spot in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience for oyster weekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Everything was pretty good! Our server treated us super nice!!!Special Features:
- OystoberfestDined on 9/23/2014great spot for meeting groups for drinks - usually I am lured down to this spot for their oyster specialsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeybDined on 9/23/2014Great bar area and oyster special before 8pm. Once we sat down at a table the service was nothing short of horrible.
- Overall TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014No ambience, mediocre service, way too loud. I could barely hear my friend across the table. The worst was the thick, black hair that came on my entree (I am blonde and my date is bald so it was not ours). Needless to say it was difficult to eat after that. I wasn't too upset since the appetizers we ordered were bland, boring and not good. What was really upsetting is they promised they would make me a new entree. It was clear that they just removed the air and stuck the same dish into the microwave to heat it up. Disgusting.
- chahliDined on 9/20/2014Food for brunch was good Cocktails can be improved Very noisySpecial Features:
- Nice Pancakes with a Side of LIVELYOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014Sunday brunch service. Its loud. Its bright. Time to wake up. Greeting was nonexistent; unless you count going into the middle of the floor after waiting 8 minutes at the front, yes I timed it because I'm a prick and I'm also a waiter, and and giving the hostess a big friendly "Hi!" to which she replies with a big smiling "Just give me one minute!" as a greeting. Seating is slow. Whatever- I'm over it. Food is decent. Blueberry pancakes: moist, nice chewy-dense but thin- crust, enough blueberries, good sweetness. Southern biscuits: dough seems overworked, not so buttery, top is not flaky... meh. Gravy was okay. Eggs were a bit overcooked: a lot of browning. Mimosas were tasty. Marys were too dry: none of that robust tomato flavor, too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double DateLLum83VIPDined on 9/13/2014We went to ESSEX for dinner, it was great! The food was prepared with care, the cocktails were delicious and our server was fantastic! all in all a GREAT experience! would highly recommend the mussels, slider, steak and scallops! OH! peanut butter PIE is to DIE for!Special Features:
- Fun, hip, youngcozmDined on 9/11/2014Although I usually am one of the older people at the restaurant, I like the tall ceilings; half price drinks during happy hour; delicious potato pancakes, vegetarian risotto, ceviche, and crabcakes. The service is attentive without being in your face.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and crowdFab2dineDined on 9/6/2014The food and crowd was great! However, my table if 9 people felt a bit rush. I understand the Saturday brunch has a timeframe if 2 hrs. However, the staffer was rude when she informed my party that we can finish our drinks at the crowded tiny bar. Even though, we still had 15 mins. Left of hour timeframe . As I said before good food but I don't think I would be revisiting this establishment .Special Features:
- Best Birthday VenueahnthepianoDined on 9/6/2014Our server was phenomenal and very patient with a large group of 15 people. Thank you so much for making my birthday a wonderful occasion!Special Features:
- Could be betterBlahDined on 8/31/2014I think the waiter was more hungover than us! He was super slow (and we were the first ones in the restaurant...) and very unprofessional, even asking us at one point to "send a message to the hostess", which was a flirty line. We got there at 11am on Sunday and found out we couldn't get the 3 drinks included in the brunch special because the law prohibits alcohol to be served before noon...but they didn't change the price of the menu to reflect that. Poorly done. The food took 45 mins to arrive and once again, we were the first ones to arrive. It took 10 mins for a coffee refill. Oh And when we arrived, the hostess was eating out of one of the food bins! We hope it wasn't the bin they were serving :( very bad service. Food mediocre.Special Features:
- Great brunch menushay718Dined on 8/30/2014I ordered Lobster Eggs Benedict which came out amazing. Plus with three mimosas the price was great. However, my server gave the impression that he did not want to serve us. His introduction was more like "Are you ready to order" instead of "Hello mine name is ...any questions? " .Maybe he was overworked that day who knows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time and the food still sucksFooooodVIPDined on 8/28/2014The good here is terrible- either the ahi tuna smells fishy, the scallops are too buttery or the shrimp on the salad is too salty... The only thing that keeps me coming back are the amazing drinks during the awesome happy hour 1/2 off -- the blood orange margharita is to die for... Oh and Mo the waiter it really nice and patient as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LES funt182288VIPDined on 8/24/2014We had a good time at Essex; the crowd was ready to party and you cannot really beat a $23.00 brunch deal with three drinks. Mimosas were strong and food was nice, however, they were clearly trying to turn tables. We would stayed and ordered several more drinks if our waitress wasn't hovering. Nonetheless, they accommodated our reservation right away. It is a beautiful restaurant and definitely worth tryingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a celebrationBeccaDined on 8/24/2014Good service, good food, and endless drinks! What else do you need?Special Features:
- Awesome Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014I've been here multiple times for brunch and every time I go I love this place more. The atmosphere is great and the food is awesome. The cost is very reasonable for brunch in NYC. I would highly recommend Essex. Just be sure to make a reservation and be prepared for a little wait even with a reservation.Special Features: