Essence of Unionville
Hilton Toronto/Markham Suites
8500 Warden Avenue
Markham, ON L6G 1A5Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$30 and under
Essence of Unionville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.torontomarkham.hilton.com/
- Phone: 9054708500x2067
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 6:30am - 10:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Executive Chef: William Huang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
- Special Events: Perfect venue for any occasion. Celebrating holidays, special occasions, engagements, bridal showers, anniversaries, birthdays and accommodating groups of all sizes.
A word from Essence of Unionville
Essence of Unionville restaurant has a tradition of serving up delicious meals, great experiences and creating memories for over 20 years. Its contemporary décor is the perfect venue for any occasion. Celebrating holidays, special occasions, engagements, birthdays and accommodating groups of all sizes. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner, Sunday brunch and weekend afternoon tea. Begin, engage and refresh your taste buds with an eclectic mouth-watering fusion menu paired with a comprehensive beverage menu and wine list appealing to every taste and budget. Offering the freshest and finest ingredients with an effort to supporting local farmers seasonally. Conclude your meal with a selection of delectable dessert creations made in-house by their very own pastry chef. Located off the main lobby inside the Four Diamond Hilton Suites hotel. Stay connected @ Hilton Suites with complimentary wireless internet access.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Essence of Unionville reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (4)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- SparkyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Friendly service, good food and a quiet restaurant inside the hotel. Good place to enjoy a private dinner with close friends. The only complaint I have is the occasional fruit flies that keep bugging us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried the Cobb Salad This TimeJockoDined on 7/4/2014Enjoyed it. Enjoyed Essence of Unionville. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/30/2014...greeted at entrance by very well dressed host....escorted to choice of tables...waited upon ASAP...courteous, efficient waiter...food was served in timely fashion...excellent presentation, delicious, generous, tender portions for each dish ordered...food served hot ...special dessert "on the house" for the celebration....will go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon tea buffet styleFabforlifeVIPDined on 5/24/2014Went for their weekend afternoon tea from 3:00-5:00. if you're looking for a cheap afternoon tea, this is your place, only 18.00 per person. Food is not as good as when you go for an afternoon tea at Windsor Arms. But it will still fill you up.Special Features:
- nice dinnerEllee7Dined on 5/21/2014the food was awesome, however it was a bit noise during to some special eventSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014My wife ordered the beef tenderloin; it was slightly overcooked but well prepared. Service was very good. Open concept of the dinning room well designed.Special Features:
- excellent serviceHighTeaDined on 5/4/2014Excellent service, great selection of desserts and great atmosphere for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 55 reviews are from the Essence of Unionville reviews archive.
- Great quality foodMitchVIPDined on 4/10/2014Food was great - well prepared and very tasty. Service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business lunchTorontonianDined on 4/9/2014Nice for tea break too. There aren't many places like this in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Essence - So ConvenientJockoDined on 3/25/2014I usually go for lunch but this time was for early dinner. All 4 of us remarked on the meal and on how it came quickly and was very enjoyable. The staff know just how to treat people. It's off the lobby of the Hilton at Highway 7 and Warden in Markham. Really convenient for my work. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnionvillePierre347Dined on 2/16/2014Great hotel but the steak were horrible tasting with the price paid. Should have better steak. Lobster were mushy.Special Features:
- Great service and decent foodClaytonDined on 2/15/2014I went for their Valentine's 5-course menu. The table we sat at (a table for 2) was a tad too small for comfort but wasn't too bad. Our server was very friendly and attentive. The food came out at a good pace and the overall quality of the food was decent. I found the ambiance to be a bit lacking because of the open concept of the restaurant and with it being just beside the hotel lobby. All that being said, I would dine here again and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The essence of lunchJockoDined on 1/24/2014I've recommended it many times - Essence of Unionville for lunch at Warden and Highway 7 in Markham. Convenient, great menu, fast service by excellent staff and part of the Hilton so its well run. They've put in a nice bar out front. I have been for lunch many times and I'll be back in a week or so. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The lamb chop in small portionOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/12/2014The lamb chop in small portion is good for small eater. Taste is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice restaurant. TheTLeeDined on 12/1/2013Very nice restaurant. The servers have good attitude. Nice dining place. Environment is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was ok. . The qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2013The food was ok. . The quality has gone down since I was there 2 years ago.Special Features:
- OutstandingbillyDined on 11/2/2013This was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. It was very quiet, with elegant and very comfotrable decor. A pianist was playing during our dinner which created a very romantic mood. All the food was amazing. I had the lamb chop and I can literally say it fell off the bone. The meat was so tender and juicy that when I grabbed the bone off the plate all the meat slid off it. It was the best thing I've ever tasted. The proscuitto and figs and everything else was great as well. Cannot give this place enough praise. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good foodJohnsonDined on 10/20/2013I was there for the Sunday brunch, the food was very high quality, I like the snow crab, tiger shimp, sushi, roasted beef and all the cakes. However, my mother would like more choices to pick from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food equals average nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2013First time here and nothing wowed me. Decor was nice although the booth seating is very low compared to where the table stands. Not sure who designed these but they should be re-done. Food was average as was the service. Rib eye for $37 lacked any real flavour but was cooked properly. Lamb chops were good but lacked spices. For the money I believe there are many places that are better value with better quality food.
- Just another ok restauant in a hoteEdwardDined on 8/7/2013The food tasted ok. Pretty old school presentation and nothing to wow. It is a bit pricy, ie, 37 for a 12oz rib eye. If you want to have a nice dinner in Markham, it is not a bad idea. However, I rather drive to downtown and have something better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a party of 5, we wereHelenaDined on 8/2/2013We were a party of 5, we were never rushed and service was excellent. We had overseas visitors and they liked the food as well. Will recommend to friends for any future events.Special Features:
- Not as good as in the past....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2013We returned to Essence of Unionville for the first time in two years. We had fond memories of the restaurant and the hotel, having held our wedding reception at the hotel in 2010 and having dined several times at the restaurant before and after the wedding. We were disappointed to see that the restaurant had been renovated: the restaurant is modern and sleek, but has lost some of its previous charm. Likewise, there have been many changes to the menu, which is now dominated by seafood items. We are not seafood lovers, so our choices were limited to chicken and steak. Gluten-free bread was available on request. The dessert was excellent. After our initial surprise with the decor and with the menu, we did enjoy our 3rd Anniversary dinner!
- Good GF!QuickbiteDined on 7/3/2013Pleasant, gluten-free dining experience with helpful, attentive staff person. Steamed mussels and the watermelon "martini" salad were especially tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with a smileDiva777Dined on 6/26/2013I really enjoyed the attention that I received from the staff. It was nice to served by mature staff who take their job serious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; nice serviceColleenVIPDined on 5/18/2013The food was good. Macaroni & cheese from the kids menu was superb. Service was efficient with just the right amount of attention. the ambience is lovely. one thing I found distracting was that a lot of kids & teenagers from the lobby were traipsing through the restaurant to use the washroom. Most were loud and wearing sporting gear which detracted from the whole experience.Special Features:
- Decent food, poor serviceJChimeraDined on 5/13/2013The food was above average, fairly impressed with how well made and diverse the menu was. The desserts were of particular excellence. The service, with the exception of the matre d, was disappointing to say the least. Various requests for refills were not fulfilled. Waiter ignored us various times. Service attitude was very poor.
- Accessible friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013Essence of Unionville left a very good impression for my family and I. We really enjoyed the friendly atmosphere that was also accessible to people with disabilities. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of variety and choices.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/7/2013Lots of variety and choices. Enjoyed the cold buffet, especially the sushi and roasted vegetables but some items on the hot buffet were a little overcooked. Lots of variety and choices for the dessert table and the coffee was very good.Special Features:
- Vegetarian choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/14/2012Attentive waiter. Soup is hot, not warm-excellent. Non-alcoholic drinks and special dishes/set menu for Vegetarian. Good place at right price.Special Features:
- We were going to a Markham4HallsVIPDined on 12/6/2012We were going to a Markham Theatre production and the staff did a fine job of serving us promptly. The food was very good as well.Special Features:
- Did not think anything wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012Did not think anything was particulaly special about the place. Would overall give it a normal rating. They had no idea aboutthe 1000 points I aws supossed to get when I spoke to the maitre'd who did not exist. I was told to go to the front desk which I did not knowing this would be a a waste of time. They wanted to take our meal order at the same time as our drink order and really knew nothing about their wines.
- We met with friends for SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2012We met with friends for Sunday brunch and were greeted warmly at the door. We were also pleasantly surprised that there was a buffet as the website did not mention it.The buffet was excellent with everything from an omelet station to prime rib.Would definitely go again if in the area.Special Features:
- We booked online but it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012We booked online but it was frustrating because we wanted afternoon tea Sat, at 3pm. The site would not accept any reservations between 2:30 and 5:00. I had to finally call to make my reservation on Sat morning. The lady said the computer often does that. Afternoon tea is our main reason for visiting so that was disappointing. There were 7 of us, and we go frequently.Special Features:
- The staff gave impeccableOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/11/2012The staff gave impeccable service. Sadly, it does not compensate for the poor quality of the food.
- my chicken soup is a can ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2012my chicken soup is a can of chicken both with couple small pieces of chicken add in. a very small bowl. cheese cake came with the fix price dinner is not up to the standard. service is very slow. We have been to this restaurant many times, I really feel you food and service and gone down.
- A 94th Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2012Seven of us celebrated a 94th birthday recently at the restaurant. It was a very good evening all around. Our waiter was particularly patient and accommodating. We were there for quite some time and were probably a bit noisy for other patrons, of which there were, mecifully, not too many! Everyone ordered something different, I believe, so we saw and/or tasted seven dishes. Each person thoroughly enjoyed the meal. Service was impecable. The birthday girl loves hotels, and the two of us have had lunch at the hotel a couple of times. She was delighted to have her party with you!Special Features:
- Gem of the NorthCharlieDDined on 7/12/2012A gem of the North. You live in Markham/Vaughan, you don't feel like going downtown.. here is fine dining you would love.Special Features:
- Food was good at the Mother'sYogaCatDined on 5/13/2012Food was good at the Mother's Day buffet(although halibut overcooked). What I didn't like so much was the lack of space. The buffet table area was not at all spacious.
- Made reservation at 9am forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Made reservation at 9am for 11am brunch on Mother's Day with email confirmation.. Got there at 10:50am and was told my name is not on the list. I showed them the confirmation and the manager told me they were fully booked for over a month and will not accommodate our reservation. I asked for his superior and she took care of us by adding an extra table after a short 10 minutes wait. Wasn't a great start but the food and service was good to make up for it.Special Features:
- Perfect in every senseOceanichailDined on 4/28/2012I have been to Essence of Unionville for lunch and dinner. Service is always excellent, makes you feel warm and welcome. Food and drinks are superb, fresh and tasty. The whole dining experience is unsurpassed. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants to enjoy great food and genuinely brilliant service.Special Features: