155 East Commerce
San Antonio, TX 78205Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://esquiretavern-sa.com/
- Phone: 2102222521
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:45pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:45pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:45pm Bar is open from 11AM - 2AM daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Chef Brooke Smith & Master Barman Jeret Pena
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wine
- Cross Street: St. Mary
- Public Transit: Conveniently located in downtown on the San Antonio River, The Esquire Tavern is within walking distance from most major hotels. In addition, The Esquire is serviced by the Yellow Line Downtown Trolley conveniently located at the corner of Commerce and St. Mary’s fifty feet from our front door.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The Esquire Tavern is encircled by four parking garages and various street lots, the closest being one half block east, the Market Street Garage across from the Westin Hotel with entrances on East Commerce and Market streets. One block further East on East Commerce and Presa is the City Garage. To the West, The Rand Parking Garage on Soledad and Houston and to the North, the College Street Garage at College and St.Mary’s St.
A word from Esquire Tavern
Located in the heart of downtown, The Esquire Tavern is the oldest bar on the San Antonio Riverwalk, opened the year, month and day that Prohibition was repealed. Tending bar in the early days was a highly prized and much sought after craft. Bar keeps then created many of their own syrups, mixes and concoctions and used the freshest of juices with the intention of serving the best products. We at the Esquire have taken a serious approach to the old world of bartending and spun it with a modern twist. Combining classic techniques and new world flavors and culinary concepts, our goal is to lead and set San Antonio's emerging cocktail culture on the map.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Esquire Tavern - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Esquire Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (42)fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (30)late-night find (29)hot spot (27)good for groups (23)romantic (22)great for outdoor dining (17)special occasion (16)scenic view (14)great for lunch (9)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- foodlove2eatDined on 10/21/2014The restaurant is nice place but too dark you can't read the menu at all. Our alcoholic drinks we ordered we did not like. The Sea of Confusion drink I had ordered was horrible. It would be nice that with the sandwich that we had ordered that fries or cole slaw came with it. Too much money for what you get. The house salad that was served was good. My mom ordered the shrimp toast and liked that a lot. The bbq pulled pork sandwich was good. The hamburger my husband ordered he did not like. My dad ordered the steak with garlic over it and he liked it but a bit too fatty.
- Riverwalk diningFancynancyDined on 10/19/2014This is a great find on san Antonio's riverwalk. It has a great history - opening the year prohibition ended. Old fashioned light fixtures with a dark bar and interior lend to its charm. Excellent cocktail menu and eclectic menu with items from deviled eggs and fried pickles for appetizers to short ribs empanada and pimento cheese sandwich. Service was excellent - knowledgeable, timely and attentive. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not for everyonewillywonkaDined on 10/19/2014While the food was amazing and service was great we did have undercooked chicken that took two redos to correct and the lighting in the place is not for those who have visual restrictions. Other than that our server was really good and the beer selection was amazing. My only peeve was that they didn't comp the drinks or the meal for my friend when they gave him under cooked chicken which he alresdy bit into and it remained undercooked on the second go. Required a third new chicken to finally get it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A San Antonio Gemssbn626bDined on 10/18/2014San Antonio's oldest bar is full of history, but also a great burger. Not sure why it has to be so dark, made it very difficult to see the menu. Good local beers on tap, and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Enjoyed Our Meal at EsquireMagnolia61VIPDined on 10/18/2014We had reservations and were seated promptly by a very friendly hostess. We tried their Gin Shrubby Collins and liked the drink very much. We weren't thrilled with the Texas Onion Dip, but loved the bacon cheeseburger (grilled to medium, as requested, and a generous amount of bacon, smoked gouda and aioli put it over the top), their lamb chili, and a chicken curry dish with whipped sweet potatoes. My youngest son got a St. Arnolds Root Beer float - a basic dessert - but he was very happy with it and finished it right up. Very relaxed, warm, old-style atmosphere. Only small cons... parking was difficult and the Texas Onion Dip tasted like dry onion soup mix stirred into sour cream. Otherwise we loved Esquire Tavern.Special Features:
- Fun placetxbobbieDined on 10/13/2014A couple of girlfriends and I went here to check it out and see what all the talk was about and it was awesome! We sat outside and enjoyed the great weather, the drinks were amazing and the meat loaf sandwiches were really, really good! The service wasn't as friendly as it could have been but we did move our table to outside and had a couple of special requests (which were granted). We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Fantastic Local Beer and FoodfoodcouplewilltravelDined on 10/8/2014The atmosphere was amazing, and the draft beer list was incredible. The food is all locally sourced, and they served the best fried pickles I have ever had. It was a great mix of classic and different food, and I would suggest this place to just about anyone. The service was a little on the 'upscale' impersonal style, but still really nice and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cocktailsnotafan1234Dined on 10/6/2014The cocktails were extremely well done. The waiter knew the details of each concoction, and make very good recommendations. The food is not to be overlooked. Very interesting combinations, and a nice selection of appetizers. A great way to go if you're with a group is to order a variety of things from the menu and share. The food is heavy and filling, so ordering the traditional appetizer, main for everyone is a lot of food! And you do want time to enjoy/sip those cocktails! Also be sure the catch the view from the river. It's a really great old building with the old facade architecture being well preserved.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Took out of town guests that were here for a conference. Both enjoyed the wine, apps, and main courses. Gave them a little history of the bar and they thouroughly enjoyed the ambiance.Special Features:
- Good service, disappointing menuowenwmDined on 10/3/2014My friend and I really enjoyed the scene, and I had looked up the menu online and already knew what I wanted to order, only to find out that only the late night menu was available at the time of our arrival. Considering there was no indicator on the menu as to when the "late night" menu became the only available one, we found this frustrating. To further our disappointment, the 2 items we wanted most on the late night menu were both sold out. Though what we did end up selecting were both good, and the fried pickles were incredibly delicious, I think our experience would have been much better if the menu was clear about the late night menu times and the two best items on said late night menu(served until 1am) were not sold out by 10:45pm.Special Features:
- BetsyDined on 9/27/2014The cocktails were interesting and the food was well prepared. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Historic BarPhillyexpatsVIPDined on 9/25/2014When visiting S.A. we had dinner at this old "dive" bar because it was advertised as the oldest. Pulled pork sandwich with pickles was delicious. It is extremely dark and, indeed, old looking inside. Good place for the curious, but not an elegant dining experience. Server was charming, knowledgeable and efficient.Special Features:
- So...RicCDined on 9/23/2014Great food. I just wish I could have seen what I was eating. The restaurant is lit like a damp cave! They need to give their food a little more credit and up the wattage on those "Edison-esque" light bulbs. Other than that, service was excellent!Special Features:
- Lots of atmosphereSadderbudweiserDined on 9/23/2014Great bar/tavern with a friendly staff. Service was great, waitress was attentive without hovering. This is a great place to bring an out of town guest for a taste of nostalgia on the river walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Bar!!FriendofFoodDined on 9/21/2014Great food and awesome drinks!! Very cool atmosphere! Wife and I liked it so much we brought 14 other people back the next day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJKrustowskyDined on 9/20/2014Very nice dinner, great ambiance and friendly service. The bison burguer is one of the best ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EsquireOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Great place to grab some drinks at the bar or have dinner and get the ribeye. The bison burger was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must dine experience....NomnomnomDined on 9/12/2014I am already looking forward to my next dining experience at The Esquire. The food was absolutely amazing and full of flavor. I fell in love with the atmosphere... Dimly lit and romantic but not over the top. The wait staff knew exactly when to check on us. I also enjoyed their very unique drink menu. A perfect dining experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great locationRalf100Dined on 9/9/2014Good food, good drinks, great location, will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Not so great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Limited seating for groups and it is VERY dark inside. However, the food is fantastic!Special Features:
- yummmmmDined on 9/6/2014For how uppity the Riverwalk restaurants can be, this is amazing food in a prime location at a great price, and although I am a super foodie I am young so money doesn't grow on trees for me yet! I had the bacon cheeseburger and it was so gourmet trading, fried pickles which were so good we got a 2nd order, and I don't even like pickles! And although the drinks are $10 they are worth every penny because they are 100% alcohol! Finally so cute inside and awesome helpful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, service not greatMeghanswtDined on 9/6/2014Good: Food, drink, ambiance, location are wonderful!! Fresh ingredients. Had deviled eggs, ceviche, pimento cheese sandwich. Cool environment and hip without being stuffy. Bad: I reserved a table "next to the tv for the UT football game", online and by phone and it was confirmed. I was taking my brother & girlfriend out. We were seated in a booth by the tv, but I was told by staff another patron asked for a diff game first. I get it (sort of) but the staff didn't seem concerned. This shortened our visit & money spent so we could seek out a diff place to watch the game. Our waitress was amazingly uninterested & looked bored. Really puts a damper on things. I would go back for a diff server with no expectations as far as requests.Special Features:
- Perfect for guests in townDocMilnerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were tired of taking our visitors to our favorite Mexican restaurants for a SATX experience. Someone suggested Esquire and we were very pleased! I will say, the 'spicy' food has been pretty toned down for out-of-towners but the cocktails were outstanding. The service was very personal and we never wanted for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencebvdeezyDined on 8/31/2014For cocktails we tried the French 75, Pimm's Cup and Brown Derby. We loved all of them and they are served very nicely. For food, we started with the deviled eggs. We preferred them without the pink peppercorns but still enjoyed them very much. They were already out of quite a few entrees but our choices did not disappoint. We had the Shrimp Toast and the Pork Loin. The shrimp toast was a surprising treat and was sooooo good with the goat cheese and jelly! The pork and potato salad were nicely done and the mole was unique and delicious! Our server was fantastic and offered good advice with the menu options. The atmosphere is great and we had such a fun evening!Special Features:
- Excellant Dining Experience.JohnMcCDined on 8/27/2014My third time to dine and drink here in 1.5 years, traveling to San Antonio from the East coast. Initially discovered The Esquire by accident, walked in on a hot day in July, fell in love with the ambiance, then the beer and informed service, and then later several excellent meals. This last time I brought my hard to please brother-sisters-in-law on a Wednesday night and had a delightful meal, great service by Brandt, and favorable reviews by all. Will always recommend this unique Tavern, the great beer selection, delicious food and lovely ambiance to anyone visiting San Anyone!Special Features:
- Service was horrible!IjistwantfoodDined on 8/22/2014They ignored our reservation, when we went to they gave our table up and where rude to us. They didn't find a quick solution, knowing that they made a mistake. Need to learn to try to make an effort to something. They could've asked to split us up, 4 at a table and 2 somewhere else!Special Features:
- excellent food good atmosphereBogeyDined on 8/20/2014Really unique food items on menu. Ecletic crowd. Grest experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hole in the WallMandMDined on 8/19/2014Esquire is a unique find: hole in the wall appearance with decent ambience. They're known for their drinks, but the drinks were mediocre. Service wasn't great - the whole meal took 3 hours, with huge lags between courses. Food was pretty good, though. Good after worth place to grab a drink, possibly listen to live music, and eat good appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Wonderful environment, great service, tasty food. We will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great historic bar!travel4foodDined on 8/15/2014Great historic bar with a warm fun vibe! The food is made with local organic produce & sustainably raised meats. It's prepared and presented beautifully, an unexpected find in a bar. The margaritas rank up there with the best ice ever had & the wine list, while small, is very good. The servers are very knowledgable & work hard to ensure a great experience. Favorite menu option- the bison burger! Yum!!!Special Features:
- Retep2BeratedDined on 8/2/2014Tried Esquire by chance and found it to be a hidden gem on the Riverwalk. They certainly know how to make a good drink and the food is great. The Manager and Assistant Manager came over and introduced themselves. Went back a second time and it was just as good.Special Features:
- Historic and Wonderful!Jsc5264Dined on 8/2/2014We ate here on a Yelp recommendation - it was a great pick! We took a boat tour of the River Walk just before dinner and were delighted to discover our tour ended right in front of the Tavern. Great service, great food, wonderful ambiance - will definitely return the next time we're in San Antonio. The owner and staff are all delightful. Our cab driver shared even more history on the Esquire Tavern on the way back to our hotel - HIGHLY Recommend!!!!Special Features:
- Cool place to hang outTxsscDined on 8/2/2014The food was unique and very good. The drinks were made great. We really enjoyed ourselvesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for foodCRivDined on 8/1/2014We picked this place based on Urbanspoon. I did not bother to read more than a couple of reviews so after our disappointing meal I went back and wondered how thy received an 83%. They seem to have one great entree and that is the bison burger. Most reviews that are positive about the food make mention of it. For us it was a crab salad, a pulled pork sandwich and an empanada. We found all servings small, in particular the empanadas at $14 and barely larger than a Hot Pocket, seem like a big miss. The pull pork entree as others said was served on a bun that was too doughy and the meat portion was small and not particularly savory. To make matters worse, you must purchase the sides separately. In summary, overpriced as a restaurant.Special Features:
- Cozy, classy dinner date placeChristiMFDined on 8/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner date at Esquire Tavern. The organic sirloin burger was fantastic, and my husband's bison burger was equally as delicious. Just as notable is the charismatic bar and creative cocktail menu. They also have craft beers and wine. Delicious!! The atmosphere was dark and cozy.Special Features:
- Excellent food, super cool buildingGracieDined on 8/1/2014Made online reservations here for my husband's 30th birthday. We were seated right away. The rustic chic decor complete with a buffalo head mounted on velvet demask wallpaper and vintage lighting was so cool. The drink menu was fun to read and delicious to drink! Both the bison burger and the chalupitos were amazing and the house salad was incredible! Our server was excellent and the other couple of servers who assisted were always polite and unobtrusive. Lethe only problem we had was finding the place based on it's address. We were able to access it from the river walk but it's not exactly on commerce street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!Yanna71Dined on 7/24/2014Great place for drinks & happy hour. Not really recommended as a family dining locale.Special Features:
- The following 174 reviews are from the Esquire Tavern reviews archive.
- Great find on the RiverwalkTravel4foodDined on 6/21/2014The food & drinks were fantastic (ceviche, deviled egg, bison burger); the service was a little slow and disjointed, granted it was Saturday 7:30pm. We sat on the balcony so the view was incredible view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Great burgers! I was in SA for a conference and found Esquire Tavern on Yelp. Great find. My last meal in SA and it was awesome. Four others I was with all loved their meals. Two had the chile rellenos and said it was the best they had ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the Sheriff in TownNarragansettDaveDined on 5/24/2014This is the Restaurant that wears the Big Silver Star. The others in the surrounding area are merely deputies, each offering a bit of something good (mostly), but they all answer to this Oldest Bar on the Riverwalk that has EVERYTHING in comparison (great food and service, excellent prices even in this touristy town, ambiance and complete unique character). It's accessible without wait by using OpenTable for Reservations. I only wish we had just one more day to have another meal here. We indulged in drinks, a fried pickles appetizer (homemade pickles, yum), and some of the best beef burgers and sandwiches that we have encountered anywhere in a very long time. Don't miss the opportunity to grab a bite here! Incredible to say the least.Special Features: