Espuma - Rehoboth Beach
28 Wilmington Ave
Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Espuma - Rehoboth Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.espuma-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 3022274199
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jay Caputo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Espuma - Rehoboth Beach
Chef Jay Caputo cooks up Mediterranean-inspired cuisine, using fresh produce from local farmers in menu offerings like Chesapeake crab-stuffed scallion crêpe served with ruby red grapefruit, cucumber, and avocado; seared breast of Giannone Farms air-chilled chicken served with roasted cauliflower, red onions, cauliflower puree, spinach, and Madeira; seared line-caught Casco Bay merlu served with oven-roasted tomatoes, Lyonnaise potatoes, and lobster-saffron essence; and blood orange mojitos. If you're not satisfied with only taking home leftovers, sign up to have Chef Jay Caputo teach a private cooking class in your own home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Espuma - Rehoboth Beach - Best Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach ›
Espuma - Rehoboth Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)special occasion (21)romantic (20)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (13)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Okay but Temperature IssuesBaconIsAVegetableVIPDined on 9/12/2014The restaurant was dead for a Friday night, so maybe this should of told us something was "off." The bread was hard as a rock (overcooked?), the amuse-bouche had a weird tepid temp, the chorizo chips on the salad weren't crisp or hot, and the wine was too hot/warm. Although everyone in our party thought the place had nice twists (cucumber water gelee anyone? - unnecessary and not tasty by the way), they definitely need some work in the kitchen if you can't serve things at the proper temperature when you have ONE table to serve. We might give it another shot, but it will be after a while if they are still around. Disappointing considering I've been wanting to visit for years and always wanting to try a Chef Caputo place.Special Features:
- A surprise at the beachPez53Dined on 9/12/2014Espuma is several cuts above what you expect to find at Rehoboth Beach. Dishes were complex and very well executed. Fish was perfectly cooked. Even the deserts were inventive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey and UnsatisfyingMarylandScribblerVIPDined on 8/31/2014Beautifully plated, nicely seasoned, outrageously overpriced minimalist cuisine. We are not value-for-money diners, but were taken aback when brought very small and ultimately disappointing offerings. The uniformly eye-widening prices had led us to expect more. Not more volume, I hasten to add, but more substance. The watermelon-tomato salad was a scattering of chopped melon with two tiny, paper-thin tomato slices. The paella was a huge mound of rice with several shrimp buried in it, topped with a handful of mussels whose contents were the size of blueberries. We found this to be an unsatisfying dining experience.
- Disappointing returnTheChefsMomVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had enjoyed it years ago and heard recent good reports. All 4 of us were disappointed. The 2 with paella found it dry with poor mouth feel. My son found his cod adequate, nothing more. I had a pork that screamed for a sauce or seasoning. Appetizers and deserts were good but not worth blah entrees. I won't go back.
- Serious dininghomeonroadDined on 8/29/2014Food was good and the experience is for serious diners. I subtracted 1 star as entree took a long time to arrive but this could have been due to the restaurant being full. Also waiter did not wait until everyone was finished before removing plates, which was distracting. They also removed the bread before serving first course?? All in all a worthwhile meal.Special Features:
- DisappointeddinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014The service was so so since there were only 2 waitresses for the entire restaurant. The maître de had to double as the bartender, thankfully the place was only mostly full, but not too busy. the Paella had chicken cartilage in it, and was dry. The fish was overcooked and not that flavorful. The meal was disappointing given the previous meals we have had there that were far better.
- Food was OKNewbie101Dined on 8/22/2014There was nothing special about the food, it was OK but way overprice. The cocktails was pretty bad....it was bitter and weird tasting.
- DisappointedLove2eatDined on 8/22/2014We've thoroughly enjoyed dining at Espuma in the past so our expectations were high. Sadly, everything was slightly off. The rolls were hard, not just dense sour dough. Even the next ones, right out of the oven, we're hard. Grilled corn and tomato salad? Just a very light sprinkle of both with lots of greens. The paella tasted as though it had been made the day prior. For the high price, not worth it.
- Not HereSparkyVIPDined on 8/15/2014We arrived on time and were seated in the back although there were ample tales up front. There was a strong odor emanating from the back and we requested that we be moved up front which was granted, albeit somewhat grudgingly. We perused the menu and ordered a bottle of wine (Alberino). The waitress had no idea what it was, suggested that the restaurant may be out of it and offered to bring us a bottle of Chardonnay which we declined. We ordered the rockfish but was told that there was none in spite of the fact that the waitress told us that they get fish delivery three times a week. At this point we got up and left.
- Great find and great food-loved it!lollyDined on 8/13/2014We were given the information that the restaurant had a price fix menu. $30 for salad, entree, dessert. We both did that, and my hubby got a martini-very good, and I got a reasonable glass of chardonnay. They first brought out a spoon with a cauliflower puree topped with almonds. YUM. Then they brought out a trio of hummus, roasted garlic, and olive tampenande. My hubby thought the bread was too hard- but I loved it crusty- like a cracker. Then the salad of heirloom tomatoes, vidalia onions and mozzerella, was awesome. The entree was cod with chick peas and a curry puree- was amazing- just enough spice and so flavorful. The dessert was peach sorbet and fresh fruit- so yummy- i even drank the juice left on my husband's plate!Special Features:
- Amazing foodLINYfoodieDined on 8/10/2014I've been going to RB for the last 25+ years and have had some amazing meals at many of the restaurants there. If you are a foodie, then this is a "must try". I was interested in the tasting menu but our server seemed a bit unsure about it and we later found out that he was somewhat new there but the rest of his service was top notch. The corn soup (sounds rather uninteresting but it was anything but) was a real treat as was the Paella. Everyone at our table (6 of us) thoroughly enjoyed everything from starters to dessert. With a round of drinks the tab (with gratuity) came to $60/pp and worth every penny.Special Features:
- Negative review? I don't think so.MikeDined on 8/9/2014Our visit to Espuma was fantastic. Our food was prepared perfectly and our server knew the menu and wine list without hesitation (impressive). Despite a full house timing was perfect. The s'mores creme brûlée is a treat you will want to have.Special Features:
- Coming Back!BillDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I felt that Espuma, though still a high quality restaurant, had been getting a little stale over the past year or so. We were pleasantly surprised last Saturday night that the menu has been revised with several new dishes while keeping a few of the most popular standards available. The spanish wedge salad with chorizo crisps and radish was a unique take on the normal wedge. The fish special was a perfectly prepared red snapper over a succotash of fresh local vegetables. It seemed to us that Espuma is getting it's focus back and look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Great Menu & ServicenpsnDined on 7/29/2014Another excellent meal at Espuma tonight celebrating a friends birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Tasting Menu for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014We ate every bite of our tasting menu, created by a very talented chef! So fresh and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid. Not outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was very good. The service and the presentation are slipping a little. My beer was warm. When we arrived at 7:00 pm, the place was almost empty. They sat us right next to a table with a screaming infant because it was more convenient for the staff. I hope they read this feedback and raise their game.Special Features:
- AmazingiLikeFoodDined on 7/19/2014the food was amazing everything seasoned perfectly. presentations we amazing. definitely check this place out the team is there is one of the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Feisty serviceJokeRossDined on 7/12/2014I had the paella. This is not the big-pile-of-rice-with-bits-of-stuff that some places serve -- it was big piles of stuff with some excellent rice. It was surprising that the mussels, chicken, chorizo, and little slices of jalapeno not only got along, but sang a lovely song together. I had the Top Notch(?) flight of three reds, and it was pleasant and interesting. The food and wine were good, and worth the price. But: When we told the waitress that the coffee was tepid, she said, "But I just made in the press pot." Um, yeah, press-pots will produce tepid coffee if you're not careful. In this situation one would expect, "Sorry, I'll take care of it," followed by a quick twap in the microwave and Behold! a hot cup of coffee! Didn't happen.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014Been going to Espuma for years. This was the first time it was not great. And it really wasn't. Food was off - bland, flavorless tuna tartare; pork dish with grilled vegetables that were ice-cold. Service was very uptight - including the waitress telling us that the grilled vegetables were meant to be served cold. Ambiance was not great - only a few customers; new awful bright track lighting spotlighting across the dining room where there'd been a nice colorful glow in the past. And it's not a cheap meal by any means. Certainly not a rate that would have me going back soon to see if they're having a better day.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Only place we could get a reservation for the time we wanted. We were the only customers in the dining area when we arrived. There's a reason for that. Nice atmosphere and good service, but skimpy and pricey menu. Food quality truly not worth the price.Special Features:
- excellent foodhypnosVIPDined on 6/25/2014Espuma is a very nice restaurant in the heart of downtown Rehoboth beach. It is small and can be intimate, the night we were there was quiet, just a few tables were occupied. The chef prepared some special "amuse gueules" that we enjoyed. We shared an appetizer which was a mediterrranean mix of cheeses, vegetables, fruits etc... it was perfect to share and have a couple bites.We were five! The main dish was excellent Everyone liked what they had. The Paella, the pork dish and the Carolina Sea bass were very well prepared and tasty. We finished with sharing a chocolat dessert whis again was perfect for sharing, each one of us having a couple bited of this delicious dessert.Special Features:
- Always LovelyPA7TravelerDined on 6/23/2014Espuma is the special place we go to have a delicious meal in a romantic atmosphere. It is dependable. The menu changes periodically, but the quality and presentation is perfect.Special Features:
- Still as good as everStephenDedalusDined on 6/21/2014Espuma has been a special place for my wife and I for years -- we had our first date there about 10 years ago. We've been back many times since -- the food is outstanding, the service is phenomenal. I've never had a bad experience in the dozen times that we've been there. Couldn't recommend it more.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Not a large selection of menu items, but we were pleased with the variety and our group of 5 each ordered something different. All were well prepared. Especially interesting was the Vegetarian Extravaganza! We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointind- horrible experienceANGRVIPDined on 6/14/2014Service was terrible, food was terrible! This is th efirst time I have ever written a bad review. Everything very salty. Waitress sassy and disrespectful. Management did nothing!
- Back after a long whilesamdeeVIPDined on 6/1/2014Decided to check Espuma out after a long absence during restaurant week in Rehoboth. What a wonderful dining experience. Each course on the restaurant meal menu was beautifully prepared and wonderful to taste. We really enjoyed our evening at Espuma and highly recommend all the locals and tourists to check this hidden gem out. It has been a staple in Rehoboth in years and now we see why. The menu is varied enough that there is something for everyone. The chef has combined so many unique flavors in his dishes that you just came wait to try the next course to see what new and exciting flavor will hit your palate. We definitely will return in the future when dining out in Rehoboth!Special Features:
- The following 150 reviews are from the Espuma - Rehoboth Beach reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We have been here on several occasions, the food and the service have always been top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow on menu changekgd27Dined on 4/26/2014Call restaurant before hand if you are enticed by the online menu. We visited the last week of April and they still had autumn menu. Lots of squash. Creative good cooking.Special Features:
- OkaySuperiorVIPDined on 4/5/2014Food was good but not great, no beef available, rib eye out. Wine list extremely over priced, not sure why some restaurants try to make all their profits on wine, you would think they would be happy with $20/$25 profit per bottle. Some wines, ie. Amber Knolls "75" Cab $60, $18 higher than other restaurants, their cost had to be somewhere around $14/$15.The wine we ordered out of stock as well, had to move up in price, go figure.Special Features:
- A Mediterranean gem of a RestaurantDedeDined on 3/15/2014The best paella made with mussels , chicken, and chorizo. The beet salad was flavorful and delicious! The best homemade drinks with fresh fruits . The sangria was loaded with sweet blueberries and there signature drink "the espuma" is made with blood oranges! I also love the atmosphere, it is so warm and cozy with booths and pillows to put behind your lumbar spine. The waitress was very pleasant. I love ESPUMA and chef Jay Caputo's creativity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and a really pleasantDaniDinerDined on 3/8/2014Great food and a really pleasant find in Rehobeth Beach. Food well prepared and all quite delicious. The service was really good considering the crowd that evening. The only drawback is the noise. To describe it as "energetic" is a euphemism. It was WAY too loud in there and having to yell to ones companion, who is sitting NEXT to you in a booth. is not great. One ultimately wants to leave a restaurant because of that kind of noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantabulousmemeDined on 2/16/2014Friendly, excellent service; wonderful, creative, delicious food. I'm calling it "fantabulous"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but......RzeeDined on 2/15/2014You can't have a wine list, and be out of our first 8 choices. Build a new wine list. Nor should you bring the appetizer before the wine stuation has been settled. Restauarnt was a bit chilly in temperature. The food was terrific, but wasn't as warm as you would expect. Hostess was drinking at the bar and did not say anything to us when we left. So the chef is extremely talented. The rest of the overall experience needs work.Special Features:
- a Jewel in RehobothOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014I had no idea this place existed until open table, so this was a big gamble for me, i read the previous reviews and that's what convinced me to give the place a try. OMG, the cuisine is delightful, i love the variety of the menu, it's not a lot of options to overwhelm you, but the selections are still top of the line culinary choices. My wife ordered the Paella, it was sooooooo good, all the flavors blended well together, seafood cooked to perfection. I ordered the short ribs with the ravioli, it was succulent. The meat was so tender it practically melted in your mouth, i left that restaurant wanted to recreate those same dishes at home, and to me that is the biggest compliment that you can give to a chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shoulda Coulda Wouldadinnerfor2Dined on 2/14/2014Had read previous reviews and looked at the online menu, had already decided on what we were going to order before we arrived. But, instead we followed the suggestion of the staff to go with the Valentine 4 course special. This turned out to be the wrong choice because I can not say anything nice about what we had. If we lived closer to this restaurant we may have tried it again but due to the distance we traveled we will not be returning.
- Mixed experienceBillDined on 1/27/2014The appetizers were outstanding. Great taste, very fresh and different. Drinks and service were very good. My wife and I ordered the paella. I always order paella at any restaurant that offers the dish. In my opinion the rice overpowered the rest of the dish. I will try something different on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/31/2013We have eaten at Espuma in the past and have enjoyed the food and the service. Because of this, we decided to have New Years Eve dinner there. We both had the pre-fix four course with wine pairing. Everythng went well until about the second course. At this time the service basically fell apart. We had to request our wine with the third course after the course had been served. Then we virtually became invisible. It took 10-15 minutes after we completed our entrees to order desert and then about 20 minutes to have desert served. During this time our server passed us a number of times without giving us a glance. The food was good overall bu we were still disappointed in a place we have enjoyed in the past.
- We have been going to EspumaSOS606Dined on 11/29/2013We have been going to Espuma since it opened in 2004. The past experience on 29 November was disappointing. The wine prices are now off the charts. We paid over $40 for a bottle of Bogle Petite Syrah (one of the cheapest wines on the menu, with several priced at $60 and higher. Total Wines sells it for $8.47. A 5X markup is too much. I had the three day pork (and have had it before). It was tender but relatively flavorless, unlike the earlier tries. The salads were also very pricey but good. There was no option for a garden salad. My wife had the ravioli half portion and liked it. Service was good, and the ambience as nice as always, but I felt gouged
- great meal my new favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/16/2013Great meal and my new favorite in Rehoboth Beach. Excellent food, great service. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/10/2013AEverything about this meal was 5 star! Food, service were all fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.