Esposto's in the Evening
59 Bovet Rd
San Mateo, CA 94402Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Esposto's in the Evening
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.espostos.com/
- Phone: (650) 525-1941
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wed-Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout
- Catering: Established in San Mateo in 1956, Esposto's Catering is family owned & operated full-service catering company. We proudly create value for our customers by offering food made from fresh ingredients, reasonable pricing, & excellent service. Our wide variety of menu's are designed to suit you needs ranging from simple and casual to elaborate and elegant. Our knowledgeable staff will assist in planning your event from beginning to end, and will happily provide advice and support along the way.
- Private Party Facilities: We encourage private parties for any occasion. Large families always welcome!
- Private Party Contact: Esposto's Catering 6505889500
- Special Events: We can host any special event you may want to have including on the days we are closed for large group events. We can offer customized menu planning with menu options including sit-down, family style, or buffet style for any group event. Contact us for more information.
A word from Esposto's in the Evening
Originating in San Mateo, our family has been proudly serving the Bay Area for over fifty years. We have taken the recipes passed on to us by former generations and have added some new ones of our own to create a menu that is both healthy and delicious.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Esposto's in the Evening reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)fit for foodies (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DeliciousRoseVIPDined on 11/6/2014We frequent Esposto's. The service is great; many improvements have been made over the last few months, including better staff and a nicer interior. The food is awesome. Love the chicken dishes, and the shrimp scampi.Special Features:
- Hearty, Simple Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014This is definitely the place to go if you're looking for straightforward Italian food that is inexpensive, filling, and tasty. Esposto's is a deli by day, so it's not the fanciest of restaurants in the evening, but it has a cute homey feel to it. The portions are filling, the food is well prepared, and it's a really good deal - $50 for a full meal including appetizers + a bottle of wine.Special Features:
- DeliciousRoseVIPDined on 10/19/2014I'm always happy with the meals at Esposto's. The improvements they've made to the interior have made it a much nicer place to dine. I love the tomato soup and all the chicken dishes. They are awesome. And, I love the shrimp scampi. YumSpecial Features:
- A GemRoseVIPDined on 9/20/2014It's a quaint little place in a deli, but they've worked on making the dining space more attractive and it worked. The food is delicious. The shrimp scampi is a favorite of my husbands, and I love all the chicken dishes. Generous portions and very nicely prepared.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Outstanding food and service! Too bad more people aren't aware of this restaurant.Special Features:
- pickyeaterDined on 9/7/2014Was not busy and should have been as the food is great. We went on a Sunday at 5:45P. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- The following 26 reviews are from the Esposto's in the Evening reviews archive.
- Great FoodRoseVIPDined on 7/10/2014Although it's a bit noisy from the refrigerators (it is a deli), the food is very good and the portions are generous.Special Features:
- The food is greatRoseVIPDined on 6/13/2014Generous servings, fine flavors. Loved the short ribs.Special Features:
- Good & Reasonable TooRoseVIPDined on 5/29/2014The prices are reasonable, servings are generous, and the food is very good. Their chicken dishes are wonderful. I enjoyed my chicken piccata. The refrigerators are noisy, but other than that, this is a nice place to dine.Special Features:
- Disappointment with open tableRs1952Dined on 5/14/2014Open table confirmed our reservation and after 40$ taxi ride we found a run down DELi service ClOSED!! Would not have eaten at the mangy site in any case. Open table needs to be sure that restaurant is still in business. I think all recommendations were plants. New cab took us nice Italian in Burlingame . Thumbs down for Open Table
- Lovely food and great valueSwankieVIPDined on 5/4/2014In an unexpected location>>>had delicious meal and smiling service. Housemade lobster ravioli in lobster bisque sauce and a family style salad in tomato vinagrette. All very good. You get a lot for your money at this establishment.Special Features:
- Awesome SpecialsRoseVIPDined on 4/17/2014Love this place. Great food and generous portions. This week, I had the chimichurri bistro steak special and it was delicious! Sometimes they have a pork loin with a gorgonzola sauce which is wonderful.
- The food was excellent. GoodMarkDined on 4/11/2014The food was excellent. Good selection and quality. Very friendly and accommodating to us with two young kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRoseVIPDined on 3/28/2014Generous servings and good food. Old Italian style with great specials. Love the pork tenderloin.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodRoseVIPDined on 3/8/2014Although the refrigerators are a little on the noisy side, the food is very good!
- Valentine DinnerelvisDined on 2/14/2014cheery ,clean, respectful ,homey type of atmosphere. food was descent, service was good, would eat there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Versatile KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Got a reservation on Valentine's Day! It was a specially priced Valentine's Day menu that included champagne, antipasto, salad, entree and dessert. Great deal, except we don't eat all of the offerings. The food was tasty, The waiter was very helpful with changing the entree to accommodate food allergies. Much appreciated. The restaurant was cold in temperature. For a deli during the week days, I think they do a good job of making it into an evening restaurant by night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian food and surprisesSwankieVIPDined on 1/24/2014Esposto's served up a delectable full course dinner--from fabulous relish tray that included awesome marinated olives, cheese, salami and crudites plus soup or salad..I had the house salad with an excellent tomato vinaigrette, chicken sautteed with mushrooms and artichokes in a light garlic/rosemary sauce with fresh steamed vegetables and a rigatoni with a very good marinara as a side. All for $15.00! A neighborhood deal Happy to re-discover.Special Features:
- Great Old Style Italian FoodRoseVIPDined on 1/24/2014Although it's a bit noisy because of the refrigerators (it's a deli during the day), the food is delicious and the servings are generous.Special Features:
- Great little restaurant!unsnobbydinerDined on 1/17/2014Esposto's is our "go-to" place when we want a good meal in a relaxed environment at a very reasonable price. Servers are always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRoseVIPDined on 1/2/2014Very good old style Italian food. Love the artchichokes in the chicken piccata. Great meatballs. The olives from the deli are awesome. Generous servings. The restaurant is in their deli, so it's a bit noisy from the refrigerators, but the food is very good.Special Features:
- Good food - Ambience needs helpBrueppelVIPDined on 11/20/2013The food is great and service is reasonable but a few minor changes could make the deli by day / restaurant by night a nicer experience. 1) dim the lights at night for the dinner hour - it is to bright for dinner 2) white table clothes at night would be good 3) candle on the table and 4) arrange the tables into a more intimate feeling. The food, wine, and Italian music are great but please go the last 25% and you will have a great casual neighborhood restaurant. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner ChoicesdeelishfoodDined on 10/25/2013We made a reservation with OpenTable for 7:30pm at Esposto's. Our server was friendly and our dinner was delicious. It was like a romantic "The Bachelor" moment. By that we mean that we were the only couple in the restaurant which is a shame because the food was excellent and the choices many and varied. Try it sometime! We will again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Surprising TreatRoseVIPDined on 9/28/2013It may not look like much from the outside, but the food is very good. The refrigerator fans are a bit loud (they are a deli during the day), but the food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Esposto'sFlyingdinerDined on 9/21/2013The four of us had a delightful meal. Esposto's is old fashioned Italian style dining, starting with an antipasto plate. I had the minestrone soup which was delicious, while the other three had salad with blue cheese dressing. Chicken parmaesan was pronounced delicious, Bistro stk. was enjoyed trememdously, and my husband said his meal passed the "lasagna test". He always judges an Italian restaurant by their lasagna. They did not have my favorite eggplant parmesan, so I ordered the veal parmesan, it was very good. The main courses came with pasta and al dente vegetables. Our red wine was reasonably priced and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice traditional Italian.RoseVIPDined on 8/3/2013Very nice traditional Italian. Generous portions and very tasty. I love the salad dressing, and their olives are delicious.Special Features:
- A hidden secret. The foodRoseVIPDined on 7/26/2013A hidden secret. The food is great and portions are generous.Special Features:
- First and Last Visit123DWSDined on 7/14/2013The restaurant was awfully quiet for a Sunday Night. There were only two tables including mine with large groups, and a few small tables. The restaurant only had one waiter which could be the reason for the slow and less than stellar service. Our empty water glasses were never refilled, and the bread baskets were never refilled, nor were we asked if we wanted more bread. One person @ our table did not get their order as the waiter forgot to write it down. The food was good though and the portions were large. The desserts were sitting in the displayed case and looked dried and may have been out there for a few days. Anyway, as expected they were dried. Oh well, there are many other restaurants to try in this area.Special Features:
- I remember the Four-Day CaféOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2013For my family, the Esposto's Café is perhaps the best secret in San Mateo. There is not a better value. I'm old enough to remember when Esposto's ran the four-day Café on B street. Check this out before it catches on again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noteworthy Neighborhood Gem!dvnoneVIPDined on 5/12/2013Deli by day and an amazing dinner house in the evening. Have eaten lunch there numerous times but this was the first time we'd been there for dinner. My calamari steak was delicate and tender. My husbands veal was equally delicious. Our waiter Blake was friendly and attentive. Who would have guessed that a deli could turn into a fabulous Italian restaurant?Special Features:
- Esposto's is backdrh2ozVIPDined on 5/11/2013We loved the old place on B street and were happy to see it return. Staff is very pleasant and attentive; the concept of a traditional Italian family style meal is well done. Portions are substantial and the extras (antipasti tray, soup or salad with meal. the usual bread) are nice additions. Food quality good; might be a notch up on the garlic with the pasta than some may prefer. Minestrone soup is packed with veggies if that's the way you like it; spouse liked the salad with beets and his chicken entree. It's good to have a neighborhood restaurant. it''s not quite where the old Esposto's was in ambience or the menu (miss that great stratacella soup, the glass of wine while waiting), but it has the potential.Special Features:
- The food was good, very largeRoseVIPDined on 4/13/2013The food was good, very large servings, and we didn't wait long for dinner.