145 Avenue C
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
BrazilianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.esperantony.com/
- Phone: (212) 505-6559x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm till 11pm
Dinner: Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm till midnight
Brunch: Saturday 11am - 4pm
Brunch: Sunday 11am - 5pm
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday noon - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Latin / Spanish, Brazilian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Esperanto hosts a free, live music performance every night of the week.
A word from Esperanto Restaurant
Esperanto restaurant serves Brazilian Pan-Latin cuisine with inspirations from Central, South Americas and Caribbean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Esperanto Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since May 18, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect 25th Birthday DinnermnashDined on 8/3/2014I wanted to introduce my college friends to my hometown friends — so noise level was crucial. First, I considered making reservations at a chichi Italian restaurant. Then I considered a "hot spot" Mexican restaurant (until I walked past it on a weeknight and realized we'd have no chance of hearing each other). Then I found Esperanto. Case closed. Esperanto was perfect in every way. Our server was super nice and seemed to think we were fun. Everyone got to talk to each other. Decor was festive, warm and inviting. Reasonable prices, long menu, delicious food — and great mixed drinks! Plus, I had fun blowing out the candle on my churro. All in all, couldn't have asked for a better night.Special Features:
- Cute place!MacaronaDined on 7/25/2014This place has this authentic latino/braziluan feel to it, with interior in bright colors and music to match it. The food was also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday weekendSG12Dined on 7/5/2014Had a great start to our night . Food and ambiance was good. Made reservation and they had table all set. Service goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They had to be doin something rightt182288VIPDined on 6/28/2014We came here to celebrate a promotion, stood at the door for 15 minutes while there was a party of 10 standing outside. Where was the hostess? Hanging out with her family... We tried to get a drink at the bar, were told to move several times and then a waitress told us we can stand here and if we continue to we should leave. $32 for two margarita's later, we were ready to go. Finally, we were seated outside and realize why this place who LACKS service and LACKS a lot of things that amazing EV restaurants have... the food was amazing. it was warm and classic and so Delicious you wanted more. We weren't paid attention to in the slightest, so if you're looking for an intimate evening of love and splendor ... do not go here. The food however.Special Features:
- Very nice and fun placeFoodhunterVIPDined on 6/27/2014A friend of mine recommended the place and I decided to go there for my birthday and it was a nice choice indeed. The food was nice and the attendants very helpful. I did a reservation for a party of 12 and in the end I had 16 guests and they were nicely accommodated.Special Features:
- liz12Dined on 6/27/2014Delicious ceviche, tasty mojitos, relaxed vibe without a hint of cheesy decor. lovely indoor/outdoor style with big open windowsSpecial Features:
- Loved everythingrun2eatDined on 6/12/2014Bands were playing and people were dancing! Everyone was upbeat. The food was amazing. The drinks were delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always awesomedjmac13Dined on 6/11/2014This was not my first time at the fabulous neighborhood gem Esperanto. Once more, it did not disappoint - the pollo de casa is amazing - and def get the rice with cilantro. Always awesome! Great service too - warm and welcoming atmosphere :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good atmospherefuccboi420Dined on 5/31/2014The food was excellent, but the restaurant did not receive my reservation through Opentable (which they said is a common problem there). They compensated with a free glass of sangria for everyone in our party. Also of note they add 20% gratuity to every bill.Special Features:
- The following 79 reviews are from the Esperanto Restaurant reviews archive.
- AmazingTuffBearDined on 5/17/2014Went for girls night dinner. We ordered tons of tapas (the portions are a bit small) and pitchers of Brazilian punch. Around 10:30 a Spanish band starting playing. All around fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out with friendsThesuper102Dined on 5/17/2014Over all this place is very nice. good vibe. We got there at 7 PM by 8:30 - 9:00 PM it was really loud. By then we were done. Most of the food is fried so if your not into that then think twice about this place. Coconut Flan is out of this world!Special Features:
- Favorite placeBaseplayerDined on 5/11/2014While living in New York for a year, this has become our favorite local restaurant. We've been there about ten times, including once with a 12 people group including kids, and always appreciated good food (especially the moqueca). It is sometimes very busy and rather noisy so we prefer eating outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014The food and service here is great. Only problem I had was the noise level. It was very hard to hear anyone talking with the loud music playing in the background. Waitress was attentive and friendly. Food is always great it keeps me going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day Double DateAndyDined on 2/14/2014I came here for a Valentine's day double date. I've come here before and knew it would be great. The food was well prepared and the ambience is lively. Live music was a great touch. Also in a great area. Summit is a block away for an after dinner drink.Special Features:
- Pitcher of margaritasMakemoreartDined on 2/14/2014Lovely restaurant with nice hosts. They don't know how to open oysters though. Shell fragments and utterly mangled flesh! And another annoyance was the service constantly trying to whisk away plates while people at the table are still eating. Rude! Get it right please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My bday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2014Great place! Kind staff, delicious drinks and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Esperanto review, 1/24/14Emm469Dined on 1/24/2014We came to Esperanto for a birthday dinner, though I have been here countless times before for brunch (the best). As always, the service was friendly and attentive, but not overbearing. Our waitress even brought us complimentary shots of a fruity liquor I've never tried before as a birthday gift. The atmosphere is fun and lively, a little grungy as is the case with many bars and restaurants in alphabet city - there's a certain charm to this that my friends appreciate. I'd certainly recommend Esperanto to anyone looking to have a reasonably priced, fun group dinner or date - and try the tuna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014We had a great time at this place, good food, fun waitresses, food is awesome!Special Features:
- Great food and live musicAngieDined on 12/12/2013Went here for brunch...amazing food. So decided to try dinner there and loved the more low key ambiance and dinner menu. Plus there was live flamenco! The server and bartender were very welcoming. Looking forward to going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsjlonycVIPDined on 11/23/2013always good and fun vibe and never disappoints. Drinks are amazing... waitresses always nice and food is amazing and there are actually healthy choices.Special Features:
- even thought the food is littlebealDined on 11/15/2013even thought the food is little pricey, it is pretty fair tasty. Cainpirinha was really strong so we asked to make it sugary on the table. And our waitress didn't even mind what we were doing. I could be pouring gin on the pitcher and she would never realized. She looked little bit high. Sorry to say t but all the party was agree on this. The dessert was the best, as usual. Volcano is simply supreme!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice music and ambienceFrenchmanDined on 10/30/2013Very nice place, food and ambience. Unfortunately, the music was too loud that night for us: why did such good musicians feel they had to amplify their music so much? Next time, they could do even better by turning the volume down a bit. But we definitely recommend your place, it is good and has the potential to become even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The waitress was great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2013The waitress was great. The food was excellent. It was a fun vibe. Only complaint is they messed up my reservation after confirming the details twice. It all worked out in the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spotFeedMeDined on 10/5/2013Came here for my boyfriend's birthday dinner. We were vacationing in NYC from Austin, Texas. The place was cute and romantic. The food was incredible (ceviche, shrimp curry, guacomole). I had a glass of rose and then a spicy cilantro-y tequila cocktail. Both were great. I would recommend this to a friend looking for a cozy spot with delicious and unique dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declining Service & DrinksrestaurantgoerDined on 9/4/2013I have been coming to this restaurant for years. Although the service has been iffy, the good food, music and ambiance (esp the outdoor seating in the summer) kept me returning. Unfortunately, the past two times I have eaten there I have been very disappointed with the service and the food/drinks. While the food is still decent, my friend and i ordered 3 vodka drinks, all of which were so watered down, we could tell hardly any vodka was used. Although we were one of only 4 tables in the restaurant, our food took over 40 minutes to arrive and our waitress must have been on smoke break during 80% of our meal. It pains me to say, but I will not be returning until I hear quality levels there improve.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2013I had my birthday dinner here, and the food was AMAZING. I would recommend getting a pitcher (or two) if you go with a big group because it's a great deal and the drinks are wonderful.Special Features:
- A Joy each time.foodbroadDined on 7/20/2013I've come to Esperanto several time snad each time I love it more and more. Drink the Diablo and salivate over the carne esada.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gave our table awayYellowFeverDined on 7/17/2013Despite the fact that I had a reservation, the restaurant gave our table away, and we had to sit at the bar in front of a loud, terrible band. Will never go back.
- Great Food, Less Desireable ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/26/2013Love their food and the energy provided by their rotating musical groups, but their service is mostly terrible. They take too long to take the order, check in during the meal, are too lackadaisical and take forever to settle your bill. Go for the food and ambiance but expect to be waiting around awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Ok ServiceBKDiner37Dined on 6/15/2013We went to the restaurant to celebrate my birthday. I really love the ambiance of this place so I thought it would a fun and festive setting for a celebration. We made reservations and were sat a soon as the entire party arrived, which was great!. The service was just ok. The server was unenthusiastic in general which was a surprise since we were not high maintenance by any means. Maybe she was having a bad day or something. She rarely visited the table and we had to flag down other staff for appetizer plates, and more water. The food was great. I have visited the restaurant in the past and have always had good experiences. I would return, but maybe not for a special occasion. I have had better service elsewhere.Special Features:
- Rudest service ever....SimoneDined on 6/1/2013About 2 minutes after we place the app order the hostess informs us that she has a large party coming and they will need our table and the 2 top next to us when they arrive so we should order our entrees immediately. WTF!!! Are you joking? So to try to speed us along they practically cleared the plates mid meal and took the forks out of our mouths. I will never go back because we were treated so rudely by the hostess. We took the time to make a reservation, a larger party is not necessarily a better party. We probably would have ordered a lot more and could've had a way larger bill than a party twice our size. The icing on the rude cake was that they added a 22% gratuity to our check!
- Fun eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2013Great find. Always a favorite. Reasonable and excellent food. Great crowd. Exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2013Me and my grown-up doughter love this place, the food is lovely and the atmosphere is enchanting. They are so very friendly and nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really poor front staffmakaraVIPDined on 5/4/2013Very unfriendly and rude hostess the night we were there. Had booked a table for 10, was given a table that could only reasonably accommodate 8. Asked to move to a couple of other empty tables (closer to another group of friends of ours) but were refused the opportunity on the basis that the tables were reserved for another group of 7. Not only would it have been much more comfortable for our group of 10 to be moved there but the tables remained empty for the entire rest of the evening (i.e. a good hour past our request to move). May still go back to Esperanto because this bad experience was the first I had but will definitely not return if we're so badly treated again next time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good and at aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2013The food was good and at a reasonable price, but the friend I went with ended up getting food poising from the Carne Asada.
- Worst service everOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/29/2013Everything was going great and before finishing the entrees, the hostess comes to us saying she needs the table for another party that had been patiently waiting for us to finish (a reservation we had previously done via OpenTable) and that she'd gladly invite us to get the dessert at the bar. To us that was simply rude and unacceptable.
- Esperanto is one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Esperanto is one of my favorite restaurants. Great food, sultry vibe... always feels like I'm on vacation far away from the city when I eat here.Special Features:
- we took out two couples asOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/9/2013we took out two couples as a thank you for taking care of us during hurricane sandy. they were quite impressed overall! we all had to stop ourselves from licking our plates!!! great energy, service, decor. a fantastic experience!!!Special Features:
- i have been coming here foralisVIPDined on 1/12/2013i have been coming here for years and havent been in a bit and they changed the menu! took off all the sides which is unfortunate. the food was still very tasty and the service still very slow. i will say we went on a saturday night and it was really really really loud (clearly i am getting old!).Special Features:
- Love this place, it has greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2012Love this place, it has great energy! Had a blast spending New Years there.Special Features: