Espana Tapas House
800 North Plankinton Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 10000Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Espana Tapas House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.espanamilwaukee.com/
- Phone: 4149889468
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner: Monday-Wednesday: 11:00am-12:00am (Kitchen closes @ 10:00pm), Thursday-Saturday: 11:00am-2:00am (Kitchen closes @ 12:00am)
Sunday: Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm, Dinner: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Moroccan, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Espana Tapas House
España Tapas House is not your typical trendy tapas restaurant; we are innovative and unique in the fact that we strive to deliver authentic Spanish cuisine based on the earthy uniqueness of pure Spanish ingredients. Our mission is to deliver the most authentic Spanish cuisine, cocktails, and wines for our guests’ excursion into our unique cuisine. Combining these elements with fantastic service, good friends and conversation, our guests will enjoy a unique and incomparable dining experience. That is the heart of eating, the Spanish know as tapas, and the experience is being brought to you proudly by the España Tapas House family, which lies in the heart of downtown Milwaukee.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Espana Tapas House reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (8)late-night find (5)good for groups (5)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014We had the sangria flight (9 hefty drinks!), patatas bravas, tortilla espanola, charcuterie, mushrooms and Moroccan relish. All pretty tasty if not the most authentic. Beautiful decor and kind wait staff. Hope more people keep this place going.Special Features:
- Good find.Mamaof3Dined on 8/3/2014I took my 14 year old daughter for her first tapas experience. There was plenty to choose from for her to enjoy. The food was very tasty! We ate late for a Sunday night, so we got a little extra attention from the wait staff, since there were only two other tables. The two servers were very eager to please. The evening was made even more enjoyable because of the live guitarist and dancer. They were very entertaining. For a first "grown up" restaurant, this fit the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go backJaeMLDined on 7/29/2014I've been here twice now and I've enjoyed it both times -- some foods are better than others -- I wouldn't recommend the barbeque but they sure know how to cook shrimp. It isn't an inexpensive place, and if they offer you more bread to "soak up the sauce" just know it will end up on your final bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/23/2014Delicious paella, great tapas, great sangria, worth the trip! We had excellent service and a great experience.Special Features:
- Sadly this place was a "no go"..ATHikerDined on 7/19/2014Tried Espana because we had a Groupon. We love small plate concepts and have a few favorites here in Milwaukee, but now we know that Espana isn't one of them. Ordered 4 "hot tapas" - the first three were not even luke-warm, I'm envisioning food siting in the kitchen under plastic wrap waiting to be plated. The forth plate came out hot (finally) because it was a cheese topped bread that had to go under the broiler. It's really ashamed too because their menu sounded so promising. I'm giving them 2 stars based on the service (nice, personable and efficient) and sangria. Don't bother with the food here - the sangria was good. Stop in, sit at the bar order a drink (and maybe the olive plate) and call it a night.
- GREAT SERVICEReneDined on 7/18/2014A new waiter Teamo and his fellow waiters made our dinner an excellent experience! I will definitely consider in going backSpecial Features:
- Does not take credit cardsjdrrDined on 7/12/2014Walked in and told the server we had reservations. She did not seem to care nor check any list. She showed us to the table and said nothing. Sometime later the busboy came to fill our water glasses and mentioned that the credit card machine was not working and the restaurant only accepted cash. Why was this not mentioned when we booked the reservation nor even at the door before we sat down? Needless to say we got up and left. In order to submit the review I had to indicate a food rating but we did not have anything to eat so unable to judge.
- Food takes a LONG time to comeBrian10Dined on 7/9/2014We arrived for dinner 2 hours prior to a concert at the Riverside. Our waitress was fantastic, but the kitchen was slow and our food took FOREVER to come. We only ordered 6 small plates and we were almost late to our show. AND the place was empty, so we didn't understand what was taking so long. The food was fantastic once it arrived, but the wait for the food was just ridiculous.Special Features:
- very disappointingDMalDined on 7/8/2014Restaurant was not open during business hours, no management response, very poor business ethic
- Nice idea, poor executionJayBDined on 6/20/2014We decided to try Espana because of the gluten-free menu options available. Unfortunately, we were disappointed. It took 45 minutes for our first dish to come out of the kitchen - a plate of calamari. I understand that freshly cooked food can take time, I don't think it was necessary to wait so long with the restaurant less than half-full. Next came the braised beef and potatoes. The beef was nice, if somewhat small for a shared plate, but the potatoes were bland and lukewarm in the middle. The worst dish was the scallops with "citrus saffron sauce". $12 gets two scallops (good thing we didn't have 4 in our party), and the citrus sauce reminded me of an orange marmalade. The front-of-house staff did well, but the kitchen let them down.
- group gatheringrecommendationsDined on 6/7/2014Friendly staff and knowledgeable about the menu and regional influences on the different dishes. Espana tapas was enjoyable. Sangria offerings are great. Something on the menu for everyone. Chicken dishes were dry. Seafood dishes was outstanding. I suggest the scallops and the Espana specialties. The Devil Eggs are a must try on my list. Disappointed on the lack of blue cheese and steak/beef offerings. The desserts are great and suggest any of their offerings. My favorite was the Tres Leche Cake to finish your experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodBobLobLawDined on 6/6/2014The food was amazing! Very flavorful and creative. This is our new favorite restaurant, downtown. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great findLuLuDined on 6/6/2014Good location downtown. Great Spanish Tapas which are unique and well prepared. Many Sangria choices and my favorite "Tinto de Verano" If you are looking for a different venue, not your standard steak and potato place, this is it!!Special Features:
- issuesDined on 6/2/2014after being seated and waiting over 20 minutes, we left. It wasn't that busy. I left my card and requested that the owner call me. He never did...
- Poor service - weeknightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014Went to Tapas on a weeknight and it appeared as though there were only 3 people working- a hostess, a server, and the chef. We had horrible service. We were there for 2 hours before leaving because of the awful service. Our first tapas came about an hour in and then we didn't see our server for another half hour. He then apologized but after not seeing him again for another half hour and watching several parties leave disgusted, we also decided to leave. We left money for the drinks we had and covered the first course but I wish we wouldn't have, they didn't deserve it. It's too bad because the first tapas was terrific. It's going to be a while before I give them a second chance.Special Features:
- Bad ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014The restaurant was understaffed, causing long waits and poor service. We waited 45 minutes before our food order was taken, meaning that we were there for over an hour before ever seeing a plate of food. And, the quality of the food was not worth the wait.
- Great experienceJonnyGDined on 5/17/2014Had a great experience, the food was awesome. Our waitress suggested going with the paella for 1 and said it would be big enough. We had a 3 tapas plates before it came out and it was HUGE and awesome. Of the tapas the grilled calamari was the best. Definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was a little leary...RussDined on 5/13/2014Given the mixed reviews of this restaurant, it was a gamble if we'd enjoy ourselves, the food, etc. But we decided to try it. Very glad we did! One young man in particular was very knowledgeable of the food listings on the menu & more than happy to answer questions. Every dish we ordered was presented nicely and tasted quite good. We liked the Kotban so much, we ordered a second plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoorMarcreviewMay10thDined on 5/10/2014Bartender( femail) was not friendly or attentive. Meal did not arrive on time and we had a show to go to at 8p and had asked when we ordered, if time would be an issue to get our order in time- took over 45 minutes. We ended up placing our entre in a to go container then decided to have them hold it becuase it was seafood- went to show and came back and ate it afterwards. There was a new bartender and he ptovided better service (young male with brown hair). Overal the staff did not seem happy or acknowledge customers walking around, not even the hostess- leaning against the podium( not engaged).Special Features:
- The following 79 reviews are from the Espana Tapas House reviews archive.
- Awful!FoodDined on 4/26/2014I bought a Groupon for this restaurant and should have known better. The atmosphere was completely sterile. It's wide open and not intimate at all. There was no music playing. Our server was a completely uninterested meathead. They were out of several of their signature Spanish wines. The presentation of the food was terrible. My young children could have done better. My husband and I just had to start laughing eventually at how pathetic it was. Despite the fact that our Groupon was expired, our server just shrugged and honored the whole thing anyway. Good thing because it wasn't even worth that.
- Good place for after the RepTosaGirlDined on 4/26/2014After seeing some somewhat sketchy reviews on Open Table, we thought long & hard about buying a Groupon, but we were not disappointed. The food was very unusual and well prepared. Sharing 4 small plates was plenty for the two of us and the cocktails were good too. The service was prompt without being rushed. I think they took those 'not so good' reviews to heart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- closedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/21/2014I checked the website around noon. It said the restaurant was open from 11am - 12am. When I tried to call and got their voice mail I thought they were simply too busy to answer the phone so I made reservations using Open Table. When they allowed me to make the reservations I assumed that all would be well. We were celebrating my daughter's 27th birthday. Imagine the disappointment of me, my wife and daughter when we walked up to the door only to find the restaurant close... dark... no signs of life... I've enjoyed this restaurant in the past but am really disappointed that I missed out on this special occasion. I hope they're still in business.
- Great Tapas Food With a TwistRamRamDined on 4/19/2014This is a great find in Milwaukee. The restaurant serves both traditional Spanish and Moroccan food. The owner is a great food enthusiast, and explains each menu item with great passion. We ordered both Tapas hot items and the Moroccan grilled beef. The food was delicious, and perfectly seasoned with great flavors melded together perfectly. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, and the service. We will definitely go back again to try Paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Tapasluv2dineDined on 4/12/2014The tapas were very tasty. Small, as one would expect for 'small plates' although for our party of 4, I think we all left feeling satisfied! Would go again when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food, awful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/20/2014We literally had all 3 rounds of our drink glasses stacked on our table throughout our dinner....it became a running joke throughout our meal. Drinks were poorly made. Food decent but overshadowed by a server who rarely came by. The restaurant wasn't even 50% full to excuse his lack of attention.
- Good food. A first time forSantiagoWalkerDined on 3/15/2014Good food. A first time for the friends we brought. They enjoyed themselves, as did we. The small features allowed us to taste a variety from the the menu and leisurely eat and chat for almost four hours. It was a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun MealSam2Dined on 3/9/2014The meal overall was great. My sister, girl friend, and I got a groupon online. It allowed us to explore a lot more options :) If I had gone without the groupon I don't think I would have been able to try as much. Even though they were small plates, it filled me up! Overall, a good evening :)Special Features:
- One to missnotreturningDined on 3/8/2014Terrible, tasteless, overpriced food served after 35 minutes of waiting. Will not return.
- Good stuffEBDinerDined on 3/7/2014Very good Tapas and Paella. I'd definitely go here again to continue to try new items on the menu. Good Sangrias and wine list too.Special Features:
- Very tasty tapas and sangriabruceDined on 2/25/2014Fun place to taste some wonderful tapas and lots of interesting sangrias!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skeleton Crew Wait StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Customer service was very poor for various reasons: they sat our party at a table that still needed to be bussed, repeatedly asked for cloth napkins, it took forever for a waiter to come, no bread at table to hold us over until our order was taken, he told us our food came out as they cooked it so we couldn't have it all out at once, didn't ask how our food was and lastly was charged a 21% gratuity when service was horrible. Every table that was vacant needed to be bussed and families were leaving because of the slow service.
- No Follow ThroughKrakersDined on 2/18/2014Had a Groupon for this restaurant. Waiters disagreed what the Groupon included, and we ended up getting shorted two tapas plates. Letter sent to owner was not responded to, however follow-on Email received an affirmation of the restaurants mistake, and a promise of a follow on gift certificate. It did not happen. Not a way to run a business.Special Features:
- Absolutely awfulBeckyDined on 2/15/2014I made reservations for this restaurant in advance for 9 people and when we showed up on time, there was a 10 minute wait so they could clean some tables (which was fine.) When we sat down, we were given menus and told our server would be there "soon." Literally 30 minutes passed with not one single person coming back to even say sorry for the wait. One of the people in our party approached the bar just to ask for someone to bring us some water. This was a bachelorette party and we had a huge list of things to do for the night. I felt VERY disappointed that we wasted so much time at this place. After we finally got some water, we waited another 15 minutes with NOBODY coming to take our order. TERRIBLE service, we all just got up and left.
- Great food - service was a tad slowcujo65Dined on 2/15/2014Great, tasty food - service was a tad slow, but very friendly nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worst service ever. WeWannabecheflivyDined on 2/15/2014The worst service ever. We had a reservation at 7pm. At 830 pm we were still not seated at our table, and yet there were tables open. The "manager" had to be all of 18 years old and clearly had no idea what he was doing. We ended up going across the street because we were so hungry. I would NEVER go back
- Our food was cold and we neverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Our food was cold and we never received all of it.
- Bottom of the pileHi2013Dined on 2/14/2014Worst service, food and customer service... Bad planning,. untrained staff and management need to find a different job.
- Not that greatCharlesDined on 2/14/2014The service was poor, the food was constantly late (a problem for a restaurant that serves small plates) and so were the drinks. The food itself was mediocre - I am an amateur cook and I can probably do as well or even better on most of the dishes served for a fraction of the cost. My advice: try someplace else.
- Great FindExcellentDined on 2/14/2014We LOVED it here!! Great entertainment and the food was delicious. Even though you don't get a lot of food with the Tapa's, everything was over flowing with taste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is a disasterGaryMVIPDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I eat out fairly often and we look forward to new experiences. While we were greeted and seated promptly, things went downhill quickly. We ordered two plates as starters and after we began eating them a third plate arrived. Turns out that one of the two we didn't order. Shame on us for not realizing that. That was the first of 6, or more, plates that were seeking a home by servers who seemed confused as they attempted to deliver them to tables that hadn't ordered them. It was actually comical, although not a recipe for success. The food was just okay. This isn't a restaurant we'll give a second chance. There are way too many good restaurants in Milwaukee.