Espana Tapas & Wine Bar
655 Middle Country Road
Saint James, NY 11780Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Espana Tapas & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.espanatapasny.com/
- Phone: (631) 656-1564
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm -4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Julio Caro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private room up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Julio Caro 6316623062x
- Entertainment: Visit our web site for the upcoming events every month, Spanish Guitar player, Spanish singer, Romantic singer, Flamenco, Magician,Andean flute player, etc
4 Flat tvs. Showing tha soccer spanish league, Champions league,international games, etc and the NFL.
Private room with no tvs
A word from Espana Tapas & Wine Bar
España Tapas & wine Bar is an authentic tapas bar with cuisine from Spain. the closest thing to Spain you will experience on Long Island.For more information on the specials, menus or the upcoming events visit us at www.espanatapasny.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Espana Tapas & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in St. James ›
Espana Tapas & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (7)special occasion (7)romantic (6)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great FindEileenDined on 11/16/2014This was my first visit here and it wont be my last. My family went there 6 adults and 3 children and the staff was great! Very accommodating. The food was excellent, we had a number of appetizers and shared a couple of main courses all were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tapas!DaisyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Espana is a great find! Authentic Spanish food with a friendly staff and excellent service. Prices are very reasonable and portions are generous! We love the tapas because we can sample lots of different dishes. It is the next best thing to dining in Spain. We highly recommend Espana to anyone who appreciates fine Spanish cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised findingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014The restaurant was a surprised finding when I googled "best paella on Long Island"..we went with another couple who also was surprised.. The food, marguerites, and sangria were outstanding. Paella met expectations as did the skirt steak for dinner.. For dessert flan very authentic as well.. Will be back regularly..Special Features:
- Fantastic foodWinemakerDined on 10/24/2014After I leave Espana from dinner...I'm already planning my next visit back. The food and service are great!!!Special Features:
- A Little GemmagjagfanDined on 10/11/2014A little gem of a restaurant in Saint James, NY. Great sangria and tapas. Espana had a great atmosphere and was full of energy. I can't wait to go back with a group!Special Features:
- Best RestaurantDeliciosoDined on 10/8/2014Espana Tapas & Wine Bar is our favorite restaurant, and the best restaurant there is. Food is authentic, Spanish food--feels like you are dining in Spain. Tapas or a full meal, you'll love everything on the menu. Great Wine list. Owner Julio Caro and staff are fully attentive and friendly. The best dining experience you'll have.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Food was good - staff was very friendly. To be honest, since it was rated #1 in St. James, I expected a little better. Food was good but definitely not my choice for #1 restaurant in the area.
- Worth going, excellent foodLuluVIPDined on 9/29/2014I found on open table and it got great reviews online. Weird location next to a barber shop. Walked in and the ambience is not great, could use a serious update. But the staff was knowledgable and friendly and anticipated our every need. And once you start eating you forget about the ambience because the food is fantastic (we live in New York City and this is easily on par).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenniferFoodLuvrDined on 9/27/2014We travelled to Spain last summer and really found this food to be reminiscent of our food experiences abroad! Tapas portions were actually big and it's very easy to share a few tapas with someone and make a fabulous dinner out of it. The owner was present and was very personable and kind! The wait staff were very attentive and the food was wonderful! Will definitely be going back! Btw....the Rioja wine was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkConnieDined on 9/20/2014I was looking forward to reliving some memories from my summer trip to Spain. Four of us met there for dinner, service was pretty great, but not outstanding. We ordered paella, seafood platters (various), pulpo appetizer, machego cheese salad, and sangria. The sangria was pretty good, yet the rest of the food was just OK. They had a magician there who came to our table and did some pretty amazing tricks, we loved him! One pretty disappointing thing is that the waiter wasn't happy about splitting the check in two for us. We just told him we could figure it out ourselves. I would consider going back in hopes that a second visit and trying other things in the menu would make it more enjoyable, not in the near future though.
- Consistantly deliciousShoshanaDined on 9/19/2014Always consistantly very good food. We had fish and it was light and flavourful, and a lot...had to take half home. The service could have been a little better. We asked them to please bring our food after our salad, and they were putting our meal down as we were eating the salad, and we had to tell them to bring it back till after we finished. I am not sure if then were rushing us, or just didn't understand us. But ,overall, a very nice experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly placescarosoneDined on 9/12/2014The owner always greets guests and the staff is very friendly. Nice tapas bar with a varied menu. Price is in the middle, not cheap but not expensive. Typical dinner for two runs around $60Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPeaceDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time going here. We have driven past this place so many times and never gone in. So glad we gave it a try. Excellent food. We'll be returning many times and spreading the word about this hidden treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Espana TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Great tapas and paella. Restaurant is a lot bigger that it appears from the outside. Friendly and knowledgable staff. Owner is very personable. Takes his time to speak to patrons.Special Features:
- Authentic Spanish cuisineDeliciosoDined on 8/21/2014Dining at Espana Tapas and Wine Bar is like dining in Spain! The food (both tapas and main courses) are authentic and delicious. We keep trying new and different Tapas and have never been disappointed. Owner Julio Caro is a gracious and friendly host who will make your dining experience at Espana the very best. Do not miss out on this gem! We just brought friends, (who have traveled extensively in Spain), to Espana for dinner, and it has immediately become their favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so small, Small PlatesTompDined on 8/19/2014I was visiting my mom in the area and my wife and l love Tapas and we happened upon Espana so we gave it a try. At first we were a bit concerned on the prices as they seemed high, but we realized that the Tapas (Small Plates) were not so small. This explained the higher prices but at the same time we could not try as many small plates as the portion sizes were too large. So if you go with a larger group this might work out but for 2-3 people it was disappointing. I think the Spanish owner, he is from Madrid, is trying to adapt to American sized portions. This is a shame as it is better to have more plates than a larger size. The food was very good so I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Food & surprisingly spaciousFoodieRvwDined on 8/9/2014Many choices of Tapas. Owner is personable and friendly. Food choices are plentiful and sharing tapas makes it even more fun. Two tapas each are more than enough for the average group. I've gone a few times now bring new people each time. Cozy yet spacious, which is deceiving from the outside. We have gone with a party of two than again with a party of 12.Special Features:
- The following 127 reviews are from the Espana Tapas & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Excellente!MidgieVIPDined on 7/4/2014LOVE this place! Consistent, friendly, great staff, the best margueritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True taste of SpainbradDined on 7/3/2014Espana may be a little difficult to find but its worth the trouble. Larger inside than it at first appears. Tables are well spaced and soft appropriate music makes for pleasant ambience. We chose to make a meal of the Tapas - even though the special dish of the day was Paella , which is one of their signature dishes. Salad with asparagus and Manchego cheese, stuffed peppers, shrimp in salsa verde, fiery little sausages, patatas braves all combined for a delicious blend of tastes and the accompanying bottle of Spanish Tempranillo had enough taste and body to hold its own with the bold tastes of the food. A shared flan brought an excellent meal to its finish. All dishes are sensibly priced and I would highly recommend EspanaSpecial Features:
- Great Margaritas!LongIslandFoodieDined on 6/27/2014Great food, great service and excellent drinks. The margaritas were awesome and we love going there. Order a few tapas for the table and you're set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitbmb1475Dined on 6/21/2014Very friendly staff, sit at the bar, a table or in the private dining area, great food, nice wine selection and all for a great price. The tripas and cod stuffed peppers are wonderful and they make a fantastic paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flamenco Night!MidgieVIPDined on 6/8/2014What a night! Great food, drinks, and entertainment! Love this place!Special Features:
- Fabulous Food!DiningDivaDined on 6/1/2014Don't let the exterior fool you, you could drive by it in a flash! However, Espana Tapas & Wine Bar is a well kept secret! Once inside it has the dark ambience of a typical Spanish cantina, but the menu is 5 star! There was 3 of us so we started with some tapas, fried calamari, a mussel and chorizo combination steamed in a wonderful, mildly spicy broth and lastly a hot crab dip topped with cheese, baked and served in oversize sea shells. The calamari was large, fresh cut lightly breaded tender and fabulous! The mussels and sausage combination broth included was delicious! The main entrees, seafood soup, paella made to order, and lamb chops with a salad were made to perfection! Good sangria too! Foodies beware, you'll be addicted! :) :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceCookieDined on 5/31/2014Upon entering this small gem of a restaurant, we were greeted immediately. I gave them my name was told not to worry about my food allergies- they can be accommodated. We were asked where we would like to sit since the bar area gets loud with the musician playing. We were seated in the back room. We were quickly greeted by our waiter, who also said not to worry about my allergies. The specials were given and questions were answered confidently. The grilled calamari was out of this world!Special Features:
- Yummy Tapas!TSmithDined on 5/23/2014I went here for my birthday after finding out another restaurant I had planned to dine at was closed this week. The food was amazing and my family and I really enjoyed it. We especially liked the Patatas Bravas and the calamari was so tender and fried really well. Great food, nice experience. We did have to wait a bit for the check when the restaurant started to get busier, but besides that everything was fantastic! Would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great DinnerTheFortysDined on 5/18/2014This is the second dinner we hosted at Espana, and it didn't disappoint. Great tapas and friendly wait staff!Special Features:
- Great Authentic Spanish FoodDBworldDined on 5/16/2014We took my mother in law out for a belated Mother's Day dinner to our favorite Spanish restaurant. She loved her Paella, eating the entire, quite substantial portion. We all enjoyed garlic soup along with tripe and sausage app. My Seafood Casserole with garlic sauce was wonderful, with nice fresh sweet lobster meat and plump mussels. My husband's sea bass dinner pleased him. We were too stuffed for dessert. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgable. The friendly waiter forgot to bring my coffee, brought the check, and when I reminded him that I ordered coffee, he brought me some, then added the coffee to the check. A minor thing, but in most restaurants, a forgotten coffee would be gratis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try EspanaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014The food and service was amazing !! My entire family thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered. We ordered many of the tapas and the Paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!FrankieDined on 5/3/2014First time visit. Appearance from the road is unimpressive, but that changes once inside. We went with a tapas appetizer and an entree. Food is excellent; well-prepared and presented. Staff and service are better than most. A real find. Will return to try out a tapas-only smorgasbord.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spanish FoodfreddyDined on 4/25/2014Our first time at Espana, but not our last. We enjoyed the plentiful Paella and the Flounder with green sauce. Also shared a skewered variety meat appetizer. Paella was very good with just the right amount of spicyness. My only comment would be to remove the bone from the chicken thigh pieces. The flounder was also plentiful, two large filets, and the green sauce was delicious.Special Features:
- Worth a visit and a return visitDiningduoDined on 4/25/2014Service was very accommodating and helpful; they catered to our every wishes. The food was excellent, as was the white sangria. It is a place worth a return visit, as the tapas menu is extensive. This is our third visit and definitely not our last. The owner and chef welcomed us a family and made our leisurely stay a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish at It's BestjoyfulVIPDined on 4/12/2014Been here several times and always enjoy the food and atmosphere. Two minor complaints on our recent visit. We were seated in the room adjacent to the bar. My husband wanted to try it. Too noisy and just didn't care for the windowless atmosphere or table arrangement. We tried four different tapas. Three, the octopus, potato omelet and meat skewer were delicious. The fourth a shrimp dish that was described as made with garlic, parsley and white wine, was absolutely tasteless. The shrimp were colorless and mushy and had not a trace of garlic or white wine that we could discern. I did taste the parsley! Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!ItsmeDined on 4/11/2014We've been looking for a true Tapas bar and we found it. The food was delicious and the service was great. The wait staff and the maître d was so attentive...even on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a surprising findvikingDined on 3/28/2014From the outside it is an unprepossessing little hole- in- the- wall which we had driven past on dozens of occasions. Some Argentinian friends, who have eaten there several times, suggested we meet for dinner. We were immediately approached when we entered and were on our way to our table when the owner approached and welcomed us. The margeritas are outstanding-authentic, unlike most of the other Spanish/Mexican restaurants we have tried.We shared several tapas plates, all of which were excellent: anchovies, octopus, chorizo, rellenos and croquetas both with ham and cod. Everything came quickly and the service was outstanding. On our way out there was a lively scene at the bar with a DJ and a couple dancing. A great place to eat.Special Features:
- Right now, its Hit or MissKnightOfNiVIPDined on 3/22/2014Its a shame because I know the owner means well and he and his staff are hardworking for sure, but they can't always deliver on promises. The menu says "made to order paella", but its absolutely not... a buddy ordered his rice without peas, and they wouldn't do it. My paella would've been pretty good, but they WAY overcooked it. Their wines pairs well with the food... definitely a good thing and it has the owner's touch. Cheese platter is decent, but I don't think its Spanish (seems more Italian) and he should have more authenticity with it. Sea Bass was VERY good... sangria was good too (not easy to make). We've been there 4x and will try again, but if its still hit/miss, we're done... we want them to succeed but we won't go back.
- Excellent food. Try some itemsSeanDined on 3/18/2014Excellent food. Try some items off their tapas menu; Their garlic chicken is fantastic, and the bean soup with chorizo really is delicious. The atmoshpere is very warm, service is friendly and the owner is very polite and is always around making sure you are taken care of. A great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Espana Tapas OMG goodGeeGeeVIPDined on 3/17/2014Returned to Espana for drinks, Tapas and a show. This time around i tried serveral Tapas rather than an entree and i was oh so happy with them all. Garlic shrimp, stuffed roasted peppers w/cod, croquets, empandas. Great night. Good Friends, Good eats and Wine...what else is needed on an evening night out. Espana doesn't disappoint. I will keep returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent meal!hblu2002Dined on 2/28/2014My wife and I had dinner at Espana last friday. Overall amazing food. The service was a bit slow but the place was packed which might be part of the problem. The staff and owner were extremely friendly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva Espana!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/25/2014Great service and attention to detail. Fantastic and authentic menu. Reasonable prices. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good...AllornilDined on 2/14/2014This is not a super fancy place. The bar itself is really nice. They have a private room in addition to the main small seating area. We came late so it wasn't super crowded. The owner greeted is enthusiastically and was attentive to us all night. Our waiter was clearly ready to go home after the valentines day craziness so he gets a pass. We ordered 2 tapas. Potatoes in a spicy sauce which were good and chicken empandillas which were excellent. Also ordered paella and chicken and shrimp in a vodka sauce which was very tasty. I don't think it's fair to judge a restaurant on the busiest night of the year so we will be back. I have a feeling they will be even better on a regular night. Definitely try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.