Espana Tapas & Wine Bar
655 Middle Country Road
Saint James, NY 11780Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Espana Tapas & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.espanatapasny.com/
- Phone: 6316561564x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm -4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Julio Caro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private room up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Julio Caro 6316623062x
- Entertainment: Visit our web site for the upcoming events every month, Spanish Guitar player, Spanish singer, Romantic singer, Flamenco, Magician,Andean flute player, etc
4 Flat tvs. Showing tha soccer spanish league, Champions league,international games, etc and the NFL.
Private room with no tvs
A word from Espana Tapas & Wine Bar
España Tapas & wine Bar is an authentic tapas bar with cuisine from Spain. the closest thing to Spain you will experience on Long Island.For more information on the specials, menus or the upcoming events visit us at www.espanatapasny.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Espana Tapas & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in St. James ›
Espana Tapas & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (12)special occasion (10)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Not so small, Small PlatesTompDined on 8/19/2014I was visiting my mom in the area and my wife and l love Tapas and we happened upon Espana so we gave it a try. At first we were a bit concerned on the prices as they seemed high, but we realized that the Tapas (Small Plates) were not so small. This explained the higher prices but at the same time we could not try as many small plates as the portion sizes were too large. So if you go with a larger group this might work out but for 2-3 people it was disappointing. I think the Spanish owner, he is from Madrid, is trying to adapt to American sized portions. This is a shame as it is better to have more plates than a larger size. The food was very good so I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Food & surprisingly spaciousFoodieRvwDined on 8/9/2014Many choices of Tapas. Owner is personable and friendly. Food choices are plentiful and sharing tapas makes it even more fun. Two tapas each are more than enough for the average group. I've gone a few times now bring new people each time. Cozy yet spacious, which is deceiving from the outside. We have gone with a party of two than again with a party of 12.Special Features:
- Excellente!MidgieVIPDined on 7/4/2014LOVE this place! Consistent, friendly, great staff, the best margueritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True taste of SpainbradDined on 7/3/2014Espana may be a little difficult to find but its worth the trouble. Larger inside than it at first appears. Tables are well spaced and soft appropriate music makes for pleasant ambience. We chose to make a meal of the Tapas - even though the special dish of the day was Paella , which is one of their signature dishes. Salad with asparagus and Manchego cheese, stuffed peppers, shrimp in salsa verde, fiery little sausages, patatas braves all combined for a delicious blend of tastes and the accompanying bottle of Spanish Tempranillo had enough taste and body to hold its own with the bold tastes of the food. A shared flan brought an excellent meal to its finish. All dishes are sensibly priced and I would highly recommend EspanaSpecial Features:
- Great Margaritas!LongIslandFoodieDined on 6/27/2014Great food, great service and excellent drinks. The margaritas were awesome and we love going there. Order a few tapas for the table and you're set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitbmb1475Dined on 6/21/2014Very friendly staff, sit at the bar, a table or in the private dining area, great food, nice wine selection and all for a great price. The tripas and cod stuffed peppers are wonderful and they make a fantastic paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flamenco Night!MidgieVIPDined on 6/8/2014What a night! Great food, drinks, and entertainment! Love this place!Special Features:
- Fabulous Food!DiningDivaDined on 6/1/2014Don't let the exterior fool you, you could drive by it in a flash! However, Espana Tapas & Wine Bar is a well kept secret! Once inside it has the dark ambience of a typical Spanish cantina, but the menu is 5 star! There was 3 of us so we started with some tapas, fried calamari, a mussel and chorizo combination steamed in a wonderful, mildly spicy broth and lastly a hot crab dip topped with cheese, baked and served in oversize sea shells. The calamari was large, fresh cut lightly breaded tender and fabulous! The mussels and sausage combination broth included was delicious! The main entrees, seafood soup, paella made to order, and lamb chops with a salad were made to perfection! Good sangria too! Foodies beware, you'll be addicted! :) :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceCookieDined on 5/31/2014Upon entering this small gem of a restaurant, we were greeted immediately. I gave them my name was told not to worry about my food allergies- they can be accommodated. We were asked where we would like to sit since the bar area gets loud with the musician playing. We were seated in the back room. We were quickly greeted by our waiter, who also said not to worry about my allergies. The specials were given and questions were answered confidently. The grilled calamari was out of this world!Special Features:
- Yummy Tapas!TSmithDined on 5/23/2014I went here for my birthday after finding out another restaurant I had planned to dine at was closed this week. The food was amazing and my family and I really enjoyed it. We especially liked the Patatas Bravas and the calamari was so tender and fried really well. Great food, nice experience. We did have to wait a bit for the check when the restaurant started to get busier, but besides that everything was fantastic! Would definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great DinnerTheFortysDined on 5/18/2014This is the second dinner we hosted at Espana, and it didn't disappoint. Great tapas and friendly wait staff!Special Features:
- Great Authentic Spanish FoodDBworldDined on 5/16/2014We took my mother in law out for a belated Mother's Day dinner to our favorite Spanish restaurant. She loved her Paella, eating the entire, quite substantial portion. We all enjoyed garlic soup along with tripe and sausage app. My Seafood Casserole with garlic sauce was wonderful, with nice fresh sweet lobster meat and plump mussels. My husband's sea bass dinner pleased him. We were too stuffed for dessert. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgable. The friendly waiter forgot to bring my coffee, brought the check, and when I reminded him that I ordered coffee, he brought me some, then added the coffee to the check. A minor thing, but in most restaurants, a forgotten coffee would be gratis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try EspanaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014The food and service was amazing !! My entire family thoroughly enjoyed everything we ordered. We ordered many of the tapas and the Paella.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!FrankieDined on 5/3/2014First time visit. Appearance from the road is unimpressive, but that changes once inside. We went with a tapas appetizer and an entree. Food is excellent; well-prepared and presented. Staff and service are better than most. A real find. Will return to try out a tapas-only smorgasbord.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 115 reviews are from the Espana Tapas & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Great Spanish FoodfreddyDined on 4/25/2014Our first time at Espana, but not our last. We enjoyed the plentiful Paella and the Flounder with green sauce. Also shared a skewered variety meat appetizer. Paella was very good with just the right amount of spicyness. My only comment would be to remove the bone from the chicken thigh pieces. The flounder was also plentiful, two large filets, and the green sauce was delicious.Special Features:
- Worth a visit and a return visitDiningduoDined on 4/25/2014Service was very accommodating and helpful; they catered to our every wishes. The food was excellent, as was the white sangria. It is a place worth a return visit, as the tapas menu is extensive. This is our third visit and definitely not our last. The owner and chef welcomed us a family and made our leisurely stay a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish at It's BestjoyfulVIPDined on 4/12/2014Been here several times and always enjoy the food and atmosphere. Two minor complaints on our recent visit. We were seated in the room adjacent to the bar. My husband wanted to try it. Too noisy and just didn't care for the windowless atmosphere or table arrangement. We tried four different tapas. Three, the octopus, potato omelet and meat skewer were delicious. The fourth a shrimp dish that was described as made with garlic, parsley and white wine, was absolutely tasteless. The shrimp were colorless and mushy and had not a trace of garlic or white wine that we could discern. I did taste the parsley! Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!ItsmeDined on 4/11/2014We've been looking for a true Tapas bar and we found it. The food was delicious and the service was great. The wait staff and the maître d was so attentive...even on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a surprising findvikingDined on 3/28/2014From the outside it is an unprepossessing little hole- in- the- wall which we had driven past on dozens of occasions. Some Argentinian friends, who have eaten there several times, suggested we meet for dinner. We were immediately approached when we entered and were on our way to our table when the owner approached and welcomed us. The margeritas are outstanding-authentic, unlike most of the other Spanish/Mexican restaurants we have tried.We shared several tapas plates, all of which were excellent: anchovies, octopus, chorizo, rellenos and croquetas both with ham and cod. Everything came quickly and the service was outstanding. On our way out there was a lively scene at the bar with a DJ and a couple dancing. A great place to eat.Special Features:
- Right now, its Hit or MissKnightOfNiVIPDined on 3/22/2014Its a shame because I know the owner means well and he and his staff are hardworking for sure, but they can't always deliver on promises. The menu says "made to order paella", but its absolutely not... a buddy ordered his rice without peas, and they wouldn't do it. My paella would've been pretty good, but they WAY overcooked it. Their wines pairs well with the food... definitely a good thing and it has the owner's touch. Cheese platter is decent, but I don't think its Spanish (seems more Italian) and he should have more authenticity with it. Sea Bass was VERY good... sangria was good too (not easy to make). We've been there 4x and will try again, but if its still hit/miss, we're done... we want them to succeed but we won't go back.
- Excellent food. Try some itemsSeanDined on 3/18/2014Excellent food. Try some items off their tapas menu; Their garlic chicken is fantastic, and the bean soup with chorizo really is delicious. The atmoshpere is very warm, service is friendly and the owner is very polite and is always around making sure you are taken care of. A great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Espana Tapas OMG goodGeeGeeVIPDined on 3/17/2014Returned to Espana for drinks, Tapas and a show. This time around i tried serveral Tapas rather than an entree and i was oh so happy with them all. Garlic shrimp, stuffed roasted peppers w/cod, croquets, empandas. Great night. Good Friends, Good eats and Wine...what else is needed on an evening night out. Espana doesn't disappoint. I will keep returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent meal!hblu2002Dined on 2/28/2014My wife and I had dinner at Espana last friday. Overall amazing food. The service was a bit slow but the place was packed which might be part of the problem. The staff and owner were extremely friendly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva Espana!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/25/2014Great service and attention to detail. Fantastic and authentic menu. Reasonable prices. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good...AllornilDined on 2/14/2014This is not a super fancy place. The bar itself is really nice. They have a private room in addition to the main small seating area. We came late so it wasn't super crowded. The owner greeted is enthusiastically and was attentive to us all night. Our waiter was clearly ready to go home after the valentines day craziness so he gets a pass. We ordered 2 tapas. Potatoes in a spicy sauce which were good and chicken empandillas which were excellent. Also ordered paella and chicken and shrimp in a vodka sauce which was very tasty. I don't think it's fair to judge a restaurant on the busiest night of the year so we will be back. I have a feeling they will be even better on a regular night. Definitely try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseLocalVIPDined on 2/14/2014We have been in the area 18 months and passed this restaurant in a nondescript building many times . Would that we had stopped in earlier. The staff was very friendly and attentive and the food was excellent. A wonderful option to have.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceGabrielaDined on 2/8/2014It was a nice surprise! The tapas are delicious, bigger than usual, and the sangria was excellent. It is very affordable too. They were very busy, but tried to be as accommodating as possible. We were celebrating my birthday, and surprised me with a candle on my desert. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmpandasOutstandingVIPDined on 1/30/2014Best empandas ever!!!, the bartender really knows how to make a great martini. All the food choices are always great. This is not my first time here and it won't be my lastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePbsmallsDined on 1/25/2014We visited Espana for my wife's Bday, as soon as we walked in the door we knew we were at the right spot, great service, super nice and amazing food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas Saturday night in the rainCoachtmDined on 1/11/2014We ventured from the east to go to tapas...as it is one of our favorite experiences but had never been to Espana before. We braved the downpours and were immediately welcomed by the owner and server. Our good friends showed up as we were trying the Sangria..great...we had the special tapas and several on the menu. All were outstanding. The restaurant quickly filled up with families and couples and could sense this is a place many people return to on a regular basis. We were even treated to entertainment..(how did he know Renee!) Good company, good food.....what else do you need!??? We will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Authentic Spanish food!shan17817VIPDined on 12/30/2013This is a really fun little Wine and Tapas bar/restaurant! The food is great and the owner and staff are very friendly. Their bread is outstanding and the food is authentic! I have not had a bad dish. I would highly recommend going here!Special Features:
- DeliciousYummyDined on 12/28/2013My boyfriend and I go to espana quite often. It is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is delicious and the service is excellent. They also have various forms of entertainment, from a magician to romantic singers. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of SpainGiseleDined on 12/6/2013Always excellent food and service. The owner comes around to make sure all is well We like to get tapas, many of them, to share. The cheese and meat platter is spectacular. Everyone loves the empanadas, meatballs and the chorizo. I always get their tortilla espanola which tastes homemadeSpecial Features:
- Good food great serviceJubeVIPDined on 11/30/2013It was our first time here and the wait staff was very helpful in guiding us in ordering. Food was very good, paella was excellent. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and amazing serviceAnjiDined on 11/18/2013We went to celebrate my husband's birthday, and I couldn't have asked for a better choice. The food and service were equally superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date LocationEricDined on 11/17/2013The food was incredible! The last time I had Tapas was in Spain several years ago and this place reminded me of how good it was. The food was excellent, the staff was very attentive and the price was not bad. I am 46 and just started dating again and this was a perfect place to do it. Quiet so that you could have a great conversation but they have enough room between tables that you were not cramped and you could not hear other people’s conversations. I will definitely go here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Became a regular!MidgieVIPDined on 11/3/2013We're there at least 4 times a month! That says it all!Special Features:
- Excellent!chrisDined on 11/2/2013Food was great! service was attentive, we will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Parents Loved It!MidgieVIPDined on 10/18/2013We took my in-laws for dinner - they have never been there before. They absolutely loved it! They were trying to figure out who they could bring there and have lunch. Looks like you're going to have new "regulars" Julio! Always good - haven't been disappointed yet! Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Espana is grandioso!BarbaraTVIPDined on 10/6/2013This was our 2nd time here & this time we especially came for the Flamenco Dancers. Pair a great show with the wonderful food, fine wines & great service & what you get is an absolutely wonderful dining experience. Get on this restaurant's email list because they have all kinds of great offers for both food & entertainment. They have a great variety of food & wines & their servers really know their craft. The proprietor always greets everyone & ensures you are having the best time. Don't let the small front facade & minimal parking fool you; there is plenty of rear parking & a very nice rear entrance, plus they have an additional dining room with doors from the main room. We've told everyone how great Espana is & now you know too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.