España Restaurant of Amelia Island
22 S. 4th Street
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
España Restaurant of Amelia Island
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://espanadowntown.com/
- Phone: 9042617700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Roberto Pestana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout
- Catering: Various catering options are available to suit all budgets. Our Paella Party is very popular, which includes a cooking demonstration.
- Private Party Facilities: Either of our two dining rooms are available for private groups.
- Private Party Contact: Marina 9043217693
A word from España Restaurant of Amelia Island
Savor the traditional flavors of Spain and Portugal in the heart of downtown historic Fernandina Beach. Sip on homemade Sangria or enjoy a glass of wine from a list of hand picked selections (International and Californian). Choose from a menu of hot and cold tapas, fresh fish or meat entree including the national dish of Spain, Paella. Complete your Espana experience with some homemade desert. You can choose to dine in our cozy main dining room, bright enclosed patio dining room or lush garden dining area (weather permitting). Let us make your trip to Espana a memorable one. Family owned and operated since 2004.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
España Restaurant of Amelia Island - Best Restaurants in Amelia Island ›
España Restaurant of Amelia Island reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)neighborhood gem (120)special occasion (109)romantic (87)great for outdoor dining (69)notable wine list (48)good for groups (44)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (12)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- An Excellent Place for diningSatisfiedDined on 8/31/2014The food was excellent as was the server. We easily made reservations ahead of time and we were seated almost promptly at the designated time. It was a great evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Food (scallops) were excellent and the service staff were very attentive. I've had the paella on previous visit, but it is a filling meal ... passed on it this time. Recommend it very highly. Prices are moderate.Special Features:
- A Real TreatGatorPeteDined on 8/29/2014The food at Espana is outstanding and the service is better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2014From the lady who changed my reservation, as I was coming in from Atlanta late, to the young man in glasses filling the water glasses and setting up the cleared tables, to my waiter Scott, I had a wonderful meal from start to finish. I had been here two years ago with my husband; this time by myself. Had a red snapper dish with capers. Ceviche. White wine sangria. For dessert...tres leche cake. This sometimes is wrong...not this time. If my husband makes the cut next year in the amateur golf tournament in Ponte Vedra....we will return....this time together! The place was packed to the gills with diners enjoying themselves....a couple of families with young children, young couples, older couples, larger groups. Thank you Tripadvisor.Special Features:
- TennismanDined on 8/24/2014Food was tasty and appealing. We were warmly welcomed and service was excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjmdVIPDined on 8/24/2014The best restaurant in Northeast Florida. Service and Food were excellent,Special Features:
- CarocookDined on 8/22/2014We had planned many times previously to visit this restaurant but this was our first time and we were not disappointed.From the service to the delicious selection of tapas both hot and cold and with the right amount of seasoning we were pleasedSpecial Features:
- A real find on Amelia IslandLDeanVIPDined on 8/21/2014Who would have thought that in the land of Southern seafood, posh hotels and condos that you would find Spanish cuisine. And not only find it, but find some of the best to be had in the US. It's a small place and the noise level can get a bit high but it is a must place to eat if you are in the area. The paella is not to be missed and the flan is outstanding.Special Features:
- Great food!JlynngDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I always come to this restaurant when we are in Amelia Island. We always love to order a bottle of wine and trying a bunch of tapas. We enjoy every plate we try! Many of their sauces are so addicting, that we always ask for more bread to finish it. Which they totally get! Are two favorites are the Shrimp Mozambqui and the Mussels in white wine sauce with chorizo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent quality and serviceNewKidsDined on 8/20/2014We arrived ahead of our reservation time and our table was ready. We were seated and our server let us know that he was ready when we were...there was no rush to order. The pace at Espana is as relaxed or as hurried as you want. The table was elegant and comfortable. Our tapas and wine came soon and they were exceptional. Amelia Island is serious shrimp country and the Gambas al Ajillo were world-class as were the Buquerones. Entrees ranged from Paella Marinera to the nights specials and everything was simply perfect. The setting is casual elegance, very sophisticated and very laid back. Sandals, shorts and t-shirts are as welcome as dressier outfits. It's all about the food and service here...and the shrimp. Don't miss those shrimp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bjmdVIPDined on 8/17/2014It's not only the best restaurant on Amelia Island ,but the best in Northeast Florida! The seafood doesn't get any fresher of cooked more perfectly than Espana . Congratulations on 10 years and we hope you're here for another 10 at least.Special Features:
- GarlicVIPDined on 8/17/2014Espana is a good restaurant choice for Amelia island. The menu is somewhat limited, but the quality of the food and preparation is very good. the place is more casual than the menu/pricing would suggest. it is conveniently located 1 block from the main street. The restaurant lacked much warmth or personality that you might expect from a place called Espana.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BernadetteGourmetloverDined on 8/17/2014Great tapas place. Had scallops, calamari,pork, spinach and spicy shrimp. Great sangria too. In quaint old town Amelia. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FantasticcynjaDined on 8/16/2014The food and service at Espana never disappoint. It's a great spot for a romantic date or for impressing out-of-town guests. Two of our party ordered paella -- one seafood, one chicken -- and both said it compared favorably to what they've enjoyed in Barcelona. The spicy snapper with local shrimp was also delicious. All of the seafood cooked to perfection! Can't wait for my next visit!Special Features:
- Wonderful tapasYummyStuffDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed the tapas menu for our romantic night out. The selection was great and the food was delicious. I would definitely go back if I were to be in the area again.Special Features:
- Exceptional Culinary ExperienceLorieDined on 8/16/2014What a great find! Our first trip to Amelia Island. I read many wonderful reviews about Espana but they did not do it justice. We were awed by the staff, the food and Roberto Chef and owner. Our server Joel was overly accommodating. The excellent dessert tray that Chef Roberto brought over to the table was delicious and such a special treat. Paella, bouillabaisse and the many tapas were some of our favorites! The sangaria was delicious. We have dined at many excellent locations like Elizabeth's, Huske, The Old Pink House and found that Espana ranks with the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PartymartyDined on 8/16/2014Great! As always. We love sharing the tapas and the paella. Don't miss the garlic shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's night outgirlsnightoutDined on 8/15/2014We had a great girl's night out. We were able to share several appetizers and dinners. Our waiter was excellent. He brought us extra plates to make it easy for everybody to try all of the dishes we ordered. He checked on us regularly, as did other wait staff. We were a little disappointed that an eggplant dish that they have as a special sometimes wasn't available, but we'll hopefully be able to order it next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in FernandinaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014Espana consistently serves the best food in Fernandina. We look forward to our meals here every visit -- especially the portabello mushroom tapas. There is something on the menu for everyone, the service is great, and the atmosphere vibrant. On this visit the snapper entrée was exceptional, as was the fried calamari. Really an exceptional experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed and would not go backOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I were on vacation and received this restaurant as a suggestion from a few locals and also from reviews on OpenTable. We were first greeted by a woman that seemed annoyed that people were coming in to visit this restaurant. Then we were seated a few minutes late. We had to wait at least five minutes before we were offered a drink then to find out they only serve beer, wine, and sangria. Not a big deal really...just unexpected. Our server again seemed quite annoyed that he was serving our table. My husband had the paella which was just okay and I had the filet...again just okay. We were not offered a dessert menu- just the check. It was just not a great experience at all and bad service with unfriendly attitudes.
- BudbarbBudbarbDined on 8/14/2014As always, the tapas and paella were excellent. And although the noise level was high, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. I would recommend Espana for any occasion!Special Features:
- Can't stay away......Greg1Dined on 8/13/2014My wife and I went to Espana on Sunday night for some tapas and sangria. We returned on Weds and had the Portuguese Fishermans Stew with a nice Rioja wine . It was awesome. It requires 30 min prep time and worth the wait. We dine here at least twice a week when we visit the island. Their flavors are incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Saw this restaraunt on Trip advisor. Didnt know what to expect. But was pleasantly surprised. I have already recommended it to some of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A let downHonestdinerDined on 8/10/2014The tomato and mozzarella was good but not different than any other restaurant, the eggplant stack had more breading than eggplant and the seafood special was good but not exceptional in taste and flavor. The sangria was excellent as was the service. The garden would be a lovely place to eat on cooler evenings. After reading the reviews I was expecting more in taste.Special Features:
- Good food and service, a bit loudKelmerDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I enjoyed our food, wine , and service! The seafood and tapas were first rate! Dont miss the mussles, a truly unique taste with a tomato broth and the polenta cakes were a surprising taste treat. Our server was very attentive and professional. The restaurant is in an old building in the historic area and the ceilings were low causing it to be an acoustical nightmare, too loud to be romantic or relaxing. There are no other attempts to curb the noise (tapestries, carpets, etc.) if it isn't too hot sit outside in the beautiful garden area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Home Town FavoriteFinickyfoodVIPDined on 8/6/2014I love everything about this gem in the center of town. The service is always friendly and courteous and the food predictably excellent. One of my fondest dining out nights was when my son, daughter-in-law, grandson and I dined in the little court yard one perfect evening. It is also one of their top picks when they are visiting. It is also one of my favorite spots for dining out alone. I can read a book and feel like home but with much better food and ambiance. You will not be treated better anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice second outingoneguyVIPDined on 8/5/2014We went back to Espana for a second time on our week-long trip and enjoyed it again. We had specials -- a shrimp appetizer and grouper / shrimp / scallop entree and we liked them both. Scott, our server, was excellent. This time, we were in the front room, which was darkened because the shades were closed to protect against the sun. It was a nice, quiet adult-oriented ambience that we liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas and moreBillieJoVIPDined on 8/4/2014What great food; fun; and fantastic ambience - just great - service et alSpecial Features:
- Excellent FoodDinnerDined on 8/2/2014I was utterly impressed! The menu selection was fantastic and the food was amazing. I started off with the Ceviche and it was the best I have ever had in the United States! The Paella was very good as well. You can't go wrong with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarrDined on 8/2/2014We review Trip Advisor when traveling and see how resteraunts are rated. Sometimes people don't get it right but in this case Espana was excellent. Espana is not inexpensive but well worth it. The food was very good and so was the Sangara. This is not a place for children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disorganized service. Good food.OutandaboutDined on 8/1/2014Waiter was confused and food for different diners came out at very different times so we were sitting and watching each other eat. Similarly disorganized delivery of beverages and bread. Thankfully the manager of the restaurant recognized the situation and was very apologetic and generous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HermeDined on 8/1/2014Very good local spot. Easy to get to. Great variety on wine. Sangria needed more fruit and variety.Special Features:
- Awesome food!LoveFernandinaDined on 8/1/2014We return to this restaurant time and time again. One of the best wihin 200 miles. Service is excellent! Food is always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and fun.ss2ueDined on 8/1/2014First visit, so we ate inside. Great server with many suggestions for lunch since we were not familiar with the menu. Very unique. Would enjoy going back. Nice outside dining area and would be good for people watching.Special Features:
- ScottyDined on 8/1/2014Very good food! Well prepared and served nicely. Staff is always friendly and great. No complaints.Special Features:
- very nice food, ambience, & serviceoneguyVIPDined on 8/1/2014We really liked the food, ambience, and service. We had the gambas mozambique and scallop entree, which were both tasty. Our server, Joel, was terrific. It was very peaceful until a family with 3 young kids sat next to us. Of course, the restaurant couldn't control this. A PLEA TO PARENTS WITH YOUNG KIDS: Please eat at restaurants catering to young kids. The kids, the other guests, the restaurant staff, and even you probably will be happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!HowieDined on 7/29/2014Expect great food and service. Very friendly place. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Two Nights in a Row!ncdinersDined on 7/27/2014Excellent food-the seafood dishes were all unique, delicious and fresh. The shrimp with garlic tapas smelled wonderful but my sister-in-law wouldn't share with us-she was enjoying it too much! Our dinner was so good, we went back the next night to try some different dishes. My daughter and I shared the Portugese fisherman stew (as good as all the reviews on Open Table and Trip Advisor state) and other family members tried the scallops in green sauce. Great Spanish wines too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Very pleased we decided to try Espana. All of the reviews were on target. Excellent grouper and red snapper prepared in a way other than the usual grilled,fried or broiled. Will try tapas next time. Accommodated our request for a last minute time change which we really appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining Experiencelvngd75Dined on 7/26/2014After many trips to Fernandina Beach, my wife and I finally made it to Espana. The staff and food did not disappoint. The food was fresh and service professional and timely. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.