345 Bloomfield Ave
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.escapemontclair.com/
- Phone: (973) 744-0712
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Bryan Gregg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from ESCAPE
Escape is a innovative locally sourcing restaurant that specializes in "southern fine cuisine"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
ESCAPE - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
ESCAPE reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (15)great for lunch (9)good for groups (9)romantic (7)great for brunch (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- no MondaysMerwinDined on 11/18/2014Don't go on Monday. 1/3 of their menu items were not available, including their daily soup.
- TomMDined on 11/16/2014Amazing food, great ambiance. Pricier than I was expecting based on Open Table's $$ rating. But will definitely recommend and go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatLindaEDined on 11/8/2014The food is still wonderful but it's not quite the perfect experience it was the first summer it was open. I was also disappointed that they got rid of the vegetarian menu. They do still have a vegetarian option, but the variety used to be what I went for. My husband adores this place. Always a creative locally sourced menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EcellentRoscoeDined on 11/8/2014There is definetly a chef in the kitchen, not a cook!Special Features:
- janelizabethDined on 11/5/2014I am disappointed they eliminated their $15 price fixe for lunch as it was a real draw. Perhaps they should increase that price slightly to draw more people back to this excellent restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Escape is a wonderful place for lunch with a friend. The small menu has something for all tastes. The fish was fresh and expertly prepared, and portions are sized to leave room for desert, which was delicious.Special Features:
- DinieDinieDined on 10/28/2014I was pleasantly pleased with the whole experience. My duck breast was delicious and it seemed like everyone else enjoyed their meal. It is expensive and whether you get your total money's worth is still an open question. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escape Montclair NJstellaDined on 10/23/2014Second time there. First time was for brunch and found it expensive and underwhelming. Gave it a second chance for dinner and found it one of the best meals i've had in Montclair in years. Cuisine was imaginative but didn't overwhelm the dishes. Can't wait to returnSpecial Features:
- In the rotationmaenbillDined on 10/23/2014Lunch at ESCAPE. Place was quiet so conversation was easy. Service was great. Specials sounded terrific so we each ordered one. Pork sandwich was delicious and unique. Waiter gave us a concise rundown on where the pork was from and that we could get it ourselves at the farm market. Have put this place in the rotation. I know my boys will love it.Special Features:
- Excellent "escape"AdivadDined on 10/18/2014First time at Escape on an early Saturday evening. The menu is limited, but had wonderful choices for the adventurous and not so. I had read that it was noisy but going as early as we did we were alone in the restaurant for most of our meal. The service was flawless and the food creative and delicious. I'd certainly go back.Special Features:
- Great spot!JcapVIPDined on 10/17/2014One of the best restaurants in Montclair right now. I've been twice with two different groups of friends and have sampled just about everything on the menu over those two trips. Have not had a bad bite of food. They do a tremendous job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go back for sureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014The waiter was real good, friendly. The food was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escape to Montclair!maurosullDined on 10/4/2014I discovered Escape for lunch and found their tasting menu to be a great way to explore the menu. I have returned since for multiple dinners (and a few bottles of wine) for both casual and celebratory occasions.Special Features:
- Farm to TableSarah205VIPDined on 9/27/2014Every dish we had was fantastic at the BYOB find. However, the menu is very, very limited. We had one person with an allergy and it really limited the options. A little pricy for what you got, but everything was so fresh! Very noisy. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- Nice Restaraunt in MontclairOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/26/2014Food was excellent and the service was outstanding. Located right across the street from the Wellmont Theatre was a convenient stop prior to a show. It is a BYOB, but the liquor store will deliver within five minutes. I would definitely recommend going there.Special Features:
- Escape is a local gem!NolzeeVIPDined on 9/19/2014Farm to table done with finesse. Innovative menu changes regularly. Meat, fish , and vegetarian choices always offered. Special nights might feature the tomato, mushrooms, or squash in all courses. Friendly and competent service. BYO, which is typical in Montclair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go hungryRobinDined on 9/18/2014Service ++. Went for lunch on a Thursday. Nearly empty. Portions were microscopic. And a little pricey given the size. Everything delicious but I left hungry and paid nearly $40 for it.Special Features:
- Great but expensive.LDMC0208VIPDined on 9/17/2014The pork chop was outstanding, the halibut a little dry, but overall VERY good. BUT extremely expensive.Special Features:
- Escape 2.0BraggHouseVIPDined on 9/16/2014We had not been in since July 4th, and so much has changed! Goodbye to Wayne, hello to Michael, who took great care of us. Colors on tables. Smaller prix fixe menu now Monday- Thursday, not all items. The appetizers seemed to be about 2x the size they were previously (which is good for 12-17$ each). Entrees seemed the same size. All 5 items we had were delicious, as always, so good that food quality remains high! We will continue to return to the new and improved Escape.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Great local organic food restaurant - cheese appetizer is fun and yummy... Main dishes were phenomenal (really!) - while my halibut was no slouch, the pork chops took the crown! The carrot cake dessert was very tasty, but simply too small for the price.... Only overall knock is the small portions (still somewhat hungry when I walked out).... Service is great, food is fit for kings!Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableBlockheadVIPDined on 9/6/2014We all had different dinners and everything was good. The pork chop was a little tough and things could have been hotter. My duck breast was delicious but placed on grains with broccoli rage that wasn't quite hot. I hate sending things back to be warmed up, as it takes the focus off friendship and the evening itself. Ordered the cheese plate for dessert. 3 of the smallest slices I've ever seen for $12. Kind of ridiculous. But, a good meal overall and I would return. The staff is very good and friendly.Special Features:
- Nicely doneZebraDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food and service, exceedingly fresh food this past Saturday evening. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Good choice for special occassionscotchnSodaDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner here for our anniversary. The food was well prepared and presented. The dishes did not need any seasoning after we tasted the dishes.Wiil try it again.The menu chages daily depending what food items are available locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EscapeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Great food, decor, and front of house. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from start to finishAnniebVIPDined on 9/5/2014We have dined many times at Escape and have always had an excellent dinner. From appetizers to dessert, the food is beautifully presented, has fabulous flavors and excellently served. The Mac and Chess is incredible. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2014Delicious food, prepared wonderfully. I love how they focus on local ingredients. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- A true escapeLoveLocalFoodsDined on 8/31/2014This is a true escape from the norm..... the menu and that it is sourced almost entirely from NJ and the surrounding area was what drew me in. Once there... the impeccable, friendly, knowledgeable service only added to the experience of the crown jewel.... the food. The quality is simply superb. "Fresh" does not do the quality ingredient justice IMO. We were a party of 4 ... and every single dish, from appetizers to main course were enjoyed by all. I had read a few less than stellar reviews that pointed out the portion size.... If that's what matters to you... then please do us a favor and go elsewhere. However, if quality ingredients, impeccable preparation and fantastic presentation are important to you... This IS a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MBH1Dined on 8/30/2014Love this place! Our 3rd dinner here - and it just keeps getting betterSpecial Features:
- Escape the NormPaulDDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful dinner! Four of us ordered four completely different meals and every segment of each dish was just delicious. Services was outstanding, waiter and all staff were knowledgeable, service oriented and pleasant. No seasoning needed, just wonderful flavors. Cannot wait to go backSpecial Features:
- niceasusugrDined on 8/29/2014simple, pure, well prepared food.. I will go back againSpecial Features:
- Delicious!KarenDined on 8/29/2014Savory, mouth satisfying flavors from appetizer to dessert. The scallops were out of this world and 4 just weren't enough (as I had to share!) Even the green salad was perfect. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- MY NEW FAVORITE RESTAURANTSHOCKEDBYGRADEVIPDined on 8/22/2014The three of us were blown away by how splendid our dining experience was . The freshness of the food was unbelievable . We dined on mussels, BBQ ribs , local cheeses , fried chicken , BBQ tofu and a creative carrot cake dessert. Everything was simply prepared and delicious . We were first time diners but were treated like we were family or long lost friends . The service is accommodating ,attentive and super friendly. After one fabulous meal this is now our GO TO RESTAURANT. I am nervous about writing such an excellent review because we will not be able to get a resy in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014I went with my sisters for my birthday and everything we had was delicious! I had the duck breast, which was perfectly cooked and had seasonal vegetables alongside. The best surprise was the corn brulee, so good! Farm to table has never been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful discoverysherryVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was our first time at this local BYO - recommended by a friend. Although it ws very quiet, we were assured that the lack of customers was atypical, as it should be. The farm - table dishes were excellent - fresh, creative and beautifully presented. Glad we discovered this tiny, neighborhood byob gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FARM TO TABLE YUMMY!CThiesVIPDined on 8/16/2014Went to Escape Saturday night ford was delicious service was great..Portions are NORMAL...the only thing was my husband wanted Fried chicken and they ran out of it...They said they were making more..not sure why he could not wait for it and get what he wanted??? I would return food is very good..I had scallops and they were yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We left hungry & very disappointedCherylDined on 8/14/2014The idea of locally sourced food is good, the food itself tastes good, what was lacking was reasonably sized portions. I ordered an appetizer, size was ok, my husband’s was tiny. Main course was miniscule. I've had similar dishes elsewhere that were 2-3x the size and had some kind of vegetable. There were really no vegetables besides garnish. I had a second serving of bread to try to fill myself up. It didn’t work. I usually don’t eat bread or dessert because I am usually full with an appetizer and main course. They tried to make up for it by giving me a free desert. This meal was to celebrate our wedding anniversary and when we couldn’t get into CulinAriane, we decided to come here. Big mistake. I felt terrible for having chosen it.
- Excellent mealGrumpDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I went here for her birthday dinner, and it did not disappoint. The food was outstanding, the service excellent (care of Michael, who ran the front of house), and the experience absolutely pleasant. If not for some knuckleheads behind us, it would have been a flawless dinner out. BravoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 142 reviews are from the ESCAPE reviews archive.
- Outstanding!lrm2014Dined on 7/18/2014Expected a very good meal, and instead got an excellent one. No need to "grade on the Montclair" curve vs NYC, this is the real deal. The farm-to-table theme is being done everywhere, a little heavy handed here, but the results speak for themselves. BYO like nearly everywhere.Special Features:
- Delectable!RedFlowerDinerDined on 7/18/2014I have had the pleasure of dining at ESCAPE during the lunch hour on two separate occasions. Delicious, fresh food and impeccable service are a winning combination! It will be great to go back for brunch and dinner as well since I hear great feedback about both.Special Features:
- Hitting the sweet spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Escape is now firmly ensconced in the Montclair fine dining scene. The food is excellent, the menu creative as is the plating. The staff is warm and welcoming. It is particularly good on a week night when the crowd is much smaller and service much more consistent and attentive. Really, the bread basket, house made pickles and butter are worth the trip alone. The cheese plate is a must. The Mac and cheese and the grits side dishes are signature. All protein entrees are prepared at the perfect temperature. And given the local farm to table nature, the summer offers a bountiful menu of produce and seafood. The room itself is a bit challenged but does not detract from the overall experience. Great to have Bryan and team in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.