Escape Fish Bar
738 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Escape Fish Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.escapefishbar.com/
- Phone: (619) 702-9200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday & Sunday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Fusion / Eclectic, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Escape Fish Bar
San Diego's new local eatery, Escape Fish Bar, is a haven for seafood lovers. We serve delicious seafood with recipes influenced by the Pacific Northwest, Central America & Asia. The signature Escape Tacone is a fish filled, perfectly grilled tortilla with home-made roasted pumpkin seed slaw, lime pickled jicama & onions, daikon radish sprouts, & house-made smoked chili avocado sauce. Feast on tempura Battered Fish & Chips with your choice of local caught halibut, wild caught salmon, mahi mahi, albacore, Alaskan cod or pollock served with double cooked Kennebec fries & double horseradish tartar sauce. Other intriguing options include Chipotle Coconut Seafood Chowder, a Spiked Togarashi Caesar, & a Thai Seafood Salad with shrimp & Alaskan white fish on rice noodles with spicy lime coconut milk dressing. For unforgettable food, exciting atmosphere, local handcrafted draft & bottled beers & a wide selection of wines by the glass, - we offer an Escape without having to leave town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Escape Fish Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)great for outdoor dining (10)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)romantic (2)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Great EscapeWilldoDined on 11/15/2014Small but efficient with excellent seafood. While visiting San Diego we went there twice. I had the grilled Halibut one night then the grilled Seabass and they were both excellent. Friendly staff, even the head chef came over to see how things were going. I would recommend Escape without hesitation!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere, great seafood!shrewbieDined on 11/14/2014Great atmosphere for a small location. Not noisy inside - and tables outside if you want the outdoors dining vibe. Fresh halibut, fried calamari and all veggies/salad were excellent! Chef Marcus and his staff do a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small friendly restaurantalwayseatingoutVIPDined on 11/13/2014Great food and great location. Definitely head there if your not in a hurry and want a kick back relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fish, but...EDWARDDined on 11/2/2014Salad was way too large, also inelegant and dressing too strong. Fish was very good but vegetables fair and plating was again rough. Reasonable prices but meal not what it could be.
- Escape Fish BarSacramentodinerDined on 10/30/2014The service was excellent. There was only one server working but she managed to do everything from mixing drinks to serving the food. She was quite the multi-tasker. The fish was fresh and they served fresh vegetables. I liked that you could choose your fish, choose how it is cooked and choose your sauce. The room is on the small side but the food made up for it.Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The fish tacos were delicious and the best I have had outside of Mexico. Yum! I was disappointed the halibut was not available but otherwise everything was fine. Attentive service during a busy lunchtime.Special Features:
- Small but niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/17/2014A small space but amazing food with great service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014excellent fresh seafood, well prepared and seasoned. Attentive and friendly/helpful waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular SeafoodAndrewDined on 9/26/2014The service was wonderful and the food was spectacular. The menu includes local caught halibut, yellowtail, sea bass, and swordfish. We had mussels from Carlsbad to start and the chef threw in some clams for us as well. The servers were very convivial and accomodating. The portions of the grilled fish plates are more than enough to fill you up. This place is great!Special Features:
- The best AMAzing food!HtorresDined on 8/26/2014The food was cooked perfect, the flavour fas really amazing!! The service top! Really an amazing place to dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fishtacular!PandCdineoutVIPDined on 8/22/2014Blackened Swordfish. Lemon butter Yellowtail. Both were fabulous. Best meal we had in the five days we spent in San Diego.Special Features:
- Conference attendeeRegularDined on 8/21/2014We wanted seafood one night and picked this based on reviews. It was a pretty small restaurant and there was a table of a dozen guys when we got there. "Mercedes" seated us in one if the two outside tables and warned us our food could take us a while because of the large group. She was great to let us know ahead of time and comped us an order of their special fries while we waited. Our food did take a little longer but it was worth the wait. The busboy and Mercedes kept checking on us and we had a great time. Large portions and great taste! We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014We had a great dinner at Escape. Our server was excellent. She was knowledgeable and really nice. I had the tacones with shrimp. They were fantastic, and I'm only disappointed that I don't live in San Diego and I'll have to travel to have them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Escape Fish Bar reviews archive.
- small place, good food.neignborDined on 7/5/2014No ambience. You feel like you are eating on the sidewalk. Food was good.
- Awesome local fresh fishOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/30/2014You cannot miss with this place. Always great service and fantastic food. They mix a mean margarita too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelAdmanVIPDined on 6/17/2014Great tempura fish and chips. Pumpkin seed slaw was great too. Both the tartar and ketchup were tangy and good.Great location on historic 5th Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!KelleDined on 5/30/2014I recently traveled to San Diego and stayed in the Gaslamp District. My parents also happened to be in town at the same time and wanted to meet for dinner but my dad is adverse to "expensive" meals, but I wanted fish. I found Escape Fish Bar on Yelp and am so glad I did! The prices are very reasonable, there is a great selection of fresh fish and the tacones were perfect for those who want a smaller meal. All of our meals were great! The kitchen is so tiny it is amazing how they get so much done! The service was also great. The food came out quickly and our server was very patient with our big group.Special Features:
- Good seafoodcolinyourbluffDined on 5/29/2014The mussels appetizer was great. Probably the best part of the meal. I got grilled shrimp Cajun style and really enjoyed the aioli sauce. Downsides: small and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okCatDVMVIPDined on 5/25/2014The place is ok and the service was so so. Looks a bit like it is being held together with not much care. The food was interesting but a bit overpriced.
- okFishsmithDined on 4/10/2014Service was quick and friendly. Calamaris a bit gooey and crab cakes a bit spicy. The main courses were decent, not outstanding. Not a bad diner at a reasonable price, however, no lasting memory.
- Delicious Fish, So-So AtmosphereUlteemitVIPDined on 3/26/2014I had lunch here with two business colleagues. We each ordered a different version of their "Taconos". These had our choice of grilled fish pieces with vegetables and sauce in a funnel-snaped wrap. They were delicious. The house hefeweizen was also great. Atmosphere was minimalist, with bare wood tables and chairs and tiled floors.Special Features:
- Soggy friesK2468Dined on 3/2/2014We ordered the fish and chips. Halibut was great, but the chips were soggy...a big disappointment.Special Features:
- High above the ordinary!SouploverDined on 3/1/2014We reserved a table here for a dinner for 2 after reading reviews on multiple websites. We were in SD for a convention and like to eat at great restaurants when we travel. This one fit the bill. The menu is smaller than some, but each item seems to be well thought out, perfectly prepared and , well, a GEM! It was our favorite seafood restaurant of our trip. The service was perfect, food perfect, ambiance superb. It's small, not overly loud, friendly and easy to overlook from the street. Don't miss this one. It's a great little place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real foodJanetDined on 2/28/2014The menu is simple and not fussy- choose your fresh fish, choose the prep style and voila! The food was delicious, fresh, creative, simple and the service super friendly. What stands out is the small size makes your dinner intimate and prices are great compared to many more touristy places. It's nice to have pure good food and small scale venues when travelling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I tried the halibut fish tacones...nickpark99VIPDined on 2/28/2014I tried the halibut fish tacones... OMG!! They were phenomenal! So fresh, moist and flaky.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTMENTsuebeedoDined on 2/25/2014With no one else in the restaurant I ask myself how could the service be so poor. The waiter was busy socializing w another employee and left us there. I use your website often and I really think u should take this one off your list.
- great little findFoodieVIPDined on 2/20/2014Unassuming to say the least its not a restaurant you would pick for its looks, but the food is quite pleasant. A must try are the panko shrimp cakes, absolutely delicious and full of flavor. The fish tacos had hearty portions of fish, we chose the sea bass which was very fresh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in the Gas LampmobiledinerDined on 2/14/2014This was a great find with the help of Open Table. Food has very reasonable and yummy. Tempura pickles and Chiptotle Soup was a hit.Special Features:
- excellent local fishOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/14/2014Great service [thanks, Lawrence], quality libations, fresh and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice variety of fishtravelerDined on 2/11/2014This is a small neighborhood restaurant, be sure to make reservations. You can dine either inside or outside. Now for the food, had the fish and chips, choose the halibut, but they have other varieties as well. I like malt vinegar with my fish and chips, but it comes with tartar sauce and a chili type sauce as well. The fish was cooked to perfection, large mound of yummy fries and some of the best coleslaw that I've every had in my life. They also have wraps, salads, a nice beer and wine list. There a several restaurants along this street, this one is definitely worth your attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TINY BUT TERRIFFICfritchieDined on 1/31/2014Super fresh fish and veggies done to perfection. Don't miss the LARGE Escape Margaritas! One of the best we've had! Reasonably priced. Right in the heart of the Gaslamp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting FRESH menuonlyfreshwilldoDined on 1/25/2014Though it is very small in size, Escape serves a quality meal. Everything we ordered was presented beautifully, the portions were generous, and everything was delicious. The bottomless Sangria was a big hit at our table as well. The service was prompt and friendly. Wait staff was knowledgeable and helped to make our dining experience memorable. We will definitely be back and would recommend it to any one, as there were many choices besides just fish on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small But SuperbEatalyVIPDined on 1/18/2014Small place but the food was special. Very fresh fish and I won't spoil the surprise on the chowder but don't miss it. Chef came out to make sure everything was perfect.Special Features:
- Delightful Hole-in-the-Wall!AlessandroVIPDined on 11/14/2013Don't be fooled by first impressions. The Escape Fish Bar looks like a small modest eatery with few tables and no frills. The seafood, however, is very very good and our server was attentive and and knowledgeable. My wife and I dined at an outdoor table on the small sidewalk patio. We were surprised at the number of people who stopped to look at the posted menu, started to come in, then had second thoughts and left, muttering that the place didn't look like much. They don't know what they missed out on!Special Features:
- Great FoodKat76Dined on 11/12/2013The Fish was great, plus the Extras like veggies etc. Enjoyed itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in the Gaslight QuarterPlumVIPDined on 10/26/2013The fish is very fresh and well-prepared. We had the sea bass tacones and sea bass fish and chips. Both dishes were delicious, and plenty of food for a decent price. The service was friendly and helpful, but not intrusive. A delightful little place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAZfishloverVIPDined on 10/16/2013Eat at this restaurant. You will not be disappointed. It has fresh seafood that you can have prepared one of four ways plus other special items on the menu. Our party picked three different fishes, prepared as fish tacos and grilled. All were terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh FisharielDined on 10/15/2013I was looking for fish and chips using cod. Waitress encouraged me to try the halibut fish and chips which were awesome. My wife's salmon was exquisitely done.Special Features:
- Hope it stays openIndycoupleDined on 10/15/2013This place was delicious! We visited on a Tuesday night. Made the reservation at 6:30, but arrived by 6. There were all of 2 other people there. It is a small place with a limited number of tables. We sat outside to watch the crowds on the street, and the wait staff lit up the heaters, being down to 60 degrees and all. As for food, there was a choice of fish, some local, but all fresh. The tacones were really just grilled wraps with wonderful dressings and the fish. The rice was super heavy on lime, but very good. At first sight, I thought it wasn't enough food for the price. Then, I proceeded to not eat it all! Maybe it was because of the Tuesday, but this place deserves more customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood RestaurantAlannaKDined on 9/30/2013Excellent food and exceptional service. It was my first visit to San Diego. I had the Sea Bass Tacone and my daughter had the Halibut Tacone. They were excellent! Large pieces of fresh fish - very generous portions with reasonable pricing. If you are looking for a great seafood place, I highly recommend it.Special Features: