345 Bloomfield Ave
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.escapemontclair.com/
- Phone: 973-744-0712x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Hours: Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Bryan Gregg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from ESCAPE
Escape is a innovative locally sourcing restaurant that specializes in "southern fine cuisine"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
ESCAPE - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
ESCAPE reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (39)special occasion (14)great for lunch (8)romantic (7)great for brunch (6)good for groups (6)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Escape is a local gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/19/2014Farm to table done with finesse. Innovative menu changes regularly. Meat, fish , and vegetarian choices always offered. Special nights might feature the tomato, mushrooms, or squash in all courses. Friendly and competent service. BYO, which is typical in Montclair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go hungryRobinDined on 9/18/2014Service ++. Went for lunch on a Thursday. Nearly empty. Portions were microscopic. And a little pricey given the size. Everything delicious but I left hungry and paid nearly $40 for it.Special Features:
- Great but expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/17/2014The pork chop was outstanding, the halibut a little dry, but overall VERY good. BUT extremely expensive.Special Features:
- Escape 2.0BraggHouseVIPDined on 9/16/2014We had not been in since July 4th, and so much has changed! Goodbye to Wayne, hello to Michael, who took great care of us. Colors on tables. Smaller prix fixe menu now Monday- Thursday, not all items. The appetizers seemed to be about 2x the size they were previously (which is good for 12-17$ each). Entrees seemed the same size. All 5 items we had were delicious, as always, so good that food quality remains high! We will continue to return to the new and improved Escape.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Great local organic food restaurant - cheese appetizer is fun and yummy... Main dishes were phenomenal (really!) - while my halibut was no slouch, the pork chops took the crown! The carrot cake dessert was very tasty, but simply too small for the price.... Only overall knock is the small portions (still somewhat hungry when I walked out).... Service is great, food is fit for kings!Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableBlockheadDined on 9/6/2014We all had different dinners and everything was good. The pork chop was a little tough and things could have been hotter. My duck breast was delicious but placed on grains with broccoli rage that wasn't quite hot. I hate sending things back to be warmed up, as it takes the focus off friendship and the evening itself. Ordered the cheese plate for dessert. 3 of the smallest slices I've ever seen for $12. Kind of ridiculous. But, a good meal overall and I would return. The staff is very good and friendly.Special Features:
- Nicely doneZebraDined on 9/6/2014Excellent food and service, exceedingly fresh food this past Saturday evening. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Good choice for special occassionscotchnSodaDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful dinner here for our anniversary. The food was well prepared and presented. The dishes did not need any seasoning after we tasted the dishes.Wiil try it again.The menu chages daily depending what food items are available locally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EscapeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014Great food, decor, and front of house. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent from start to finishAnniebVIPDined on 9/5/2014We have dined many times at Escape and have always had an excellent dinner. From appetizers to dessert, the food is beautifully presented, has fabulous flavors and excellently served. The Mac and Chess is incredible. We will return again and again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2014Delicious food, prepared wonderfully. I love how they focus on local ingredients. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- A true escapeLoveLocalFoodsDined on 8/31/2014This is a true escape from the norm..... the menu and that it is sourced almost entirely from NJ and the surrounding area was what drew me in. Once there... the impeccable, friendly, knowledgeable service only added to the experience of the crown jewel.... the food. The quality is simply superb. "Fresh" does not do the quality ingredient justice IMO. We were a party of 4 ... and every single dish, from appetizers to main course were enjoyed by all. I had read a few less than stellar reviews that pointed out the portion size.... If that's what matters to you... then please do us a favor and go elsewhere. However, if quality ingredients, impeccable preparation and fantastic presentation are important to you... This IS a must!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MBH1Dined on 8/30/2014Love this place! Our 3rd dinner here - and it just keeps getting betterSpecial Features:
- Escape the NormPaulDDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful dinner! Four of us ordered four completely different meals and every segment of each dish was just delicious. Services was outstanding, waiter and all staff were knowledgeable, service oriented and pleasant. No seasoning needed, just wonderful flavors. Cannot wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Delicious!KarenDined on 8/29/2014Savory, mouth satisfying flavors from appetizer to dessert. The scallops were out of this world and 4 just weren't enough (as I had to share!) Even the green salad was perfect. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- MY NEW FAVORITE RESTAURANTSHOCKEDBYGRADEVIPDined on 8/22/2014The three of us were blown away by how splendid our dining experience was . The freshness of the food was unbelievable . We dined on mussels, BBQ ribs , local cheeses , fried chicken , BBQ tofu and a creative carrot cake dessert. Everything was simply prepared and delicious . We were first time diners but were treated like we were family or long lost friends . The service is accommodating ,attentive and super friendly. After one fabulous meal this is now our GO TO RESTAURANT. I am nervous about writing such an excellent review because we will not be able to get a resy in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014I went with my sisters for my birthday and everything we had was delicious! I had the duck breast, which was perfectly cooked and had seasonal vegetables alongside. The best surprise was the corn brulee, so good! Farm to table has never been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful discoverysherryVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was our first time at this local BYO - recommended by a friend. Although it ws very quiet, we were assured that the lack of customers was atypical, as it should be. The farm - table dishes were excellent - fresh, creative and beautifully presented. Glad we discovered this tiny, neighborhood byob gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FARM TO TABLE YUMMY!CThiesVIPDined on 8/16/2014Went to Escape Saturday night ford was delicious service was great..Portions are NORMAL...the only thing was my husband wanted Fried chicken and they ran out of it...They said they were making more..not sure why he could not wait for it and get what he wanted??? I would return food is very good..I had scallops and they were yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We left hungry & very disappointedCherylDined on 8/14/2014The idea of locally sourced food is good, the food itself tastes good, what was lacking was reasonably sized portions. I ordered an appetizer, size was ok, my husband’s was tiny. Main course was miniscule. I've had similar dishes elsewhere that were 2-3x the size and had some kind of vegetable. There were really no vegetables besides garnish. I had a second serving of bread to try to fill myself up. It didn’t work. I usually don’t eat bread or dessert because I am usually full with an appetizer and main course. They tried to make up for it by giving me a free desert. This meal was to celebrate our wedding anniversary and when we couldn’t get into CulinAriane, we decided to come here. Big mistake. I felt terrible for having chosen it.
- Excellent mealGrumpDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I went here for her birthday dinner, and it did not disappoint. The food was outstanding, the service excellent (care of Michael, who ran the front of house), and the experience absolutely pleasant. If not for some knuckleheads behind us, it would have been a flawless dinner out. BravoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!lrm2014Dined on 7/18/2014Expected a very good meal, and instead got an excellent one. No need to "grade on the Montclair" curve vs NYC, this is the real deal. The farm-to-table theme is being done everywhere, a little heavy handed here, but the results speak for themselves. BYO like nearly everywhere.Special Features:
- Delectable!RedFlowerDinerDined on 7/18/2014I have had the pleasure of dining at ESCAPE during the lunch hour on two separate occasions. Delicious, fresh food and impeccable service are a winning combination! It will be great to go back for brunch and dinner as well since I hear great feedback about both.Special Features:
- Hitting the sweet spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Escape is now firmly ensconced in the Montclair fine dining scene. The food is excellent, the menu creative as is the plating. The staff is warm and welcoming. It is particularly good on a week night when the crowd is much smaller and service much more consistent and attentive. Really, the bread basket, house made pickles and butter are worth the trip alone. The cheese plate is a must. The Mac and cheese and the grits side dishes are signature. All protein entrees are prepared at the perfect temperature. And given the local farm to table nature, the summer offers a bountiful menu of produce and seafood. The room itself is a bit challenged but does not detract from the overall experience. Great to have Bryan and team in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!domebdVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food outstanding and creative; starters, entrees and desserts. Request for dairy free striped bass preparation was no problem, staff knew ingredients and management happy to grant requests. Will be back for all important 2nd time.Special Features:
- Local food, sooo good!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/11/2014Our third time dining at this Restaurant and once again we enjoyed every morsel. Unlike other people, with the exception of the Foie Gras (which we truly think is way too small) the portions are adequate. We love the seasonal changes to the menu, which adds an element of surprise to subsequent visits. My only suggestion to the chef, bring back the awesome duck fat potatoes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing farm-to-tableMSinmontclairDined on 7/2/2014On rainy summer week-night my husband and I were the only customers. Maybe the intermittent downpours kept people home. Or maybe they knew the food was just OK and prices were outrageously expensive. First cornbread and biscuits appeared warm and delicious, so good we asked for more. Second serving - stale and cold. Trout appetizer (meal) good but side order of cheddar cheese grits with peas was unsatisfying. Husband's steak fatty. Small, muted quilts on brick wall dreary. Previous restaurant had big, bold artwork on wall. Delighted to make reservation five minutes before arrival. After eating uninspiring meal for $64.00 (no drinks, no dessert, not even two main courses), I understand why the restaurant was empty.
- Eclectic Southern gourmetSouthernDinerDined on 7/2/2014The grits, asparagus and crab entree goes well with a berry compote for dessert. The host is knowledgeable about the menu, which changes weekly, sometimes daily. It's an aptly named restaurant, since you can escape the regular fare offered in Montclair and feel transported to the South. I'm from NC originally and loved the selections of locally-grown produce, the texture combinations for each dish, and the ingredient combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedsigmund80Dined on 6/28/2014Our first time here. Almost all the starters and almost all the entrees were weird combinations of ingredients, some very rare and unknown. Our party of 4 dine out a great deal. The fact that we all ordered fried chicken was testimony to the lack of general appeal of the menu. The host refused to substitute anything for my friend's declining her sweet potato. All he could do is to omit the yams entirely. The dish chosen for the chicken was completely unsuited, and the chicken was dried out. Desserts were miniscule. Biscuits and "madeleines" were excellent. Noise level grew to be intolerable as the crowd increased. Service was slipshod. Menu items chosen to suit the chef rather than to appeal to the patrons. Hardly likely to return.Special Features:
- The Great EscapeTravelJunkieVIPDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I decided to try Escape on a whim last week and are exceedingly pleased with our choice. We enjoyed the chic décor, casual atmosphere, excellent food and the friendly, attentive staff. Everything we ate (starter, main, dessert) was delicious, though the seared foie gras deserves a special shout out - it melts in your mouth and the accompaniments are perfect. I greatly enjoyed a tender savory duck breast in a far more ample serving than expected, and my husband was happy with his chicken. It's a BYOB so you can choose your own wine, beer or spirits pairing with the food. Wine service was expertly handled by our waiter. We are planning to return as soon as our overcrowded calendar allows.Special Features:
- Good But Expensive W/Small PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2014Food was good but for what we paid( $200 for four people including the tip but NO dessert), the portions were quite small (my husband's scallop dish at $29 contained four scallops!). We were thinking about going out for pizza when we were done....
- very small portions for priceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014very expensive for the small portions you receive. Perhaps its the farm to table concept. But no big difference in quality.
- agoodmealDined on 6/11/2014A couple of outstanding food surprises.Definitely made my palate smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to table - well executedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014Dishes are prepared with local farm ingredients. Tasty and fresh. Nice presentation. Very relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the vegetarian menuOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/6/2014One of the reasons I've enjoyed dining at Escape is their attention to vegetables and their vegetarian menu. This has disappeared to be replaced by token vegetarian offerings. Would you serve a steak on a plate on it's own? Why would you serve a piece of tofu without rice or vegetable or any accompaniment? The corn bread madelines are nice, but they are not bread. When you offer soft eggs it is nice to have something to mop up the yolk.Special Features:
- Excellent lunch!mikelikesgoodfoodDined on 6/2/2014I had lunch with a friend at Escape this week. It has quickly become one of my favorite restaurants in Montclair. The scallops were fresh and cooked perfectly! Great service as well.Special Features:
- EscapeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014We enjoyed this farm to table dining experience. The food was all very good. Clearly it appeals to a younger crowd who started filing in around 8:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall but not outstandingBriancccVIPDined on 5/29/2014First time at Escape and we found everything to be good but not outstanding. The place is well appointed but a bit dark and quite small. We were greeting upon arrival and shown to our table. Our server was polite and well versed on the menu. We took his recommendations and ordered the duck and trout as mains. We also had shared the Crab, Hominy, Tomato, Pea Shoots to start and the carrot cake for dessert. Other than the Crab Hominy Tomato and pea shoots, which we thought was quite bland, the rest of the food was good but not memorable. The carrot cake appeared to be deconstructed and the portion minuscule. That said it was good overall. It could be we just chose the wrong main courses. We will certainly give Escape another try at some point
- Memorial Day BBQFdente19VIPDined on 5/26/2014Was looking on opentable for a place to have lunch on Memorial Day and decided on Escape. They had a specialized menu for the day so we were excited to try it. For appetizer we had the crab salad which was absolutely amazing.. Next we enjoyed a side of the most delicious corn bread I have ever had. For my entree I chose the BBQ chicken and my friend ordered the pulled pork.. OMG so amazing... We also shared sweet potatoes and collard greens as well... For desert we has the roasted fruit with sponge cake again delicious!! Staff was super friendly... Decor very nice and simple... I will definitely be back to try their regular menu..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 123 reviews are from the ESCAPE reviews archive.
- Really really nice placeHappysmileDined on 5/17/2014I went there for the first time this Sunday. The prefix menu is less than 20$ per person. The food was delicious and the staff was friendly. Going back for sure!I would recommend this to a friend.