Ernesto's Italian Restaurant
2301 Clement St
San Francisco, CA 94121Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Ernesto's Italian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 4153861446
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday & Sunday: 4:00PM - 9:30PM
Friday & Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Call for details.
A word from Ernesto's Italian Restaurant
Ernesto's Italian Restaurant is your home away from home. Authentic Italian food at affordable prices. Don't miss our baked clam appetizer while enjoying our warm garlic olive oil bread. Everyone has their favorites and everyone walks away full and happy. Come hungry, leave happy knowing you'll be back.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ernesto's Italian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)good for groups (2)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Ernesto'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Outstanding couipled with great tasting food at a reasonable price makes Ernesto's one of our favorite restaurants. If the blueberry bread pudding is available, pls. make sure you have room for this delicious desert!! The only drawback is the parking situation in and around the restaurant which can be difficult depending upon the time for dinner.Special Features:
- A lovely local restaurantMDEUKDined on 6/14/2014Ernesto's is a nice neighborhood restaurant with great food and nice service - I'll definitely visit it again if I'm in the area.Special Features:
- ExcellentDebbieVIPDined on 6/14/2014As usual we had our favorite waiter Doug. Our guests love his humor keeps our dinner conversation going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedSusanVIPDined on 6/13/2014We had an excellent meal at Ernesto's The food was delicious and the service was 10 stars out of 5!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Ernesto's Italian Restaurant reviews archive.
- The Importance of Being EarnestoIkolDined on 4/8/2014We had a group of six people who usually don't dine together so this was a special occasion since I did the picking of the restaurant. The waiter, Doug, was so great. When we dine here with our children and grandchildren, he keeps the kids amused and that makes the parents happy! The prices are reasonable. The service is slow since they cook each dish individually but it's worth it.Special Features:
- Great foodDebbieVIPDined on 4/3/2014We celebrated a birthday there. The waiter was excellent and was very entertaining. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large selection of basic ItalianMarushkaDined on 3/15/2014Doug, our waiter, had provided excellent service, and one highlight was the introduction of the chef. There were 4 of us, and all loved their food except for my difficult to cut eggplant. The wine list is very good and the warm olive oil bread served was fantastic. We certainly will dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Italian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014Great food, exceptional customer service, reasonable priced menu, easy parking.............what more could you ask for????Special Features:
- We love Ernesto's!SFGiantsGirlDined on 2/15/2014We've been going to this restaurant for twenty five years! We still love it! The calamari sauté is yummy and the bread given free is always hot and lightly spiced with herbs. The entrees are so good and we love bringing out of towners here. It's wonderful to have such a quality restaurant in our neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have eaten here before andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/12/2014I have eaten here before and the food was decent. This time I don't know where the chef was but it was really bad tasting with way to much salt. I had eggplant parm. And the cheese on top was....I couldn't even tell you what kind it was. The food was hot but it didn't melt the cheese. Pasta was way under cooked to the point of crunchy and the sauce was bland. The 3 others that I was with were equally dissatisfied with their meal. I forget fried calimari.....greasy! We didn't even stay for desert.
- Very nice neighborhood restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/19/2014Very nice neighborhood restaurant. Food was better than the last time I was here.Special Features:
- Great Old Neighborhood PlaceCookieDined on 1/18/2014Pretty old school style and lots of neighborhood regulars. Nice specials and service was to the point and no thrills or frills. Definitely going to try it again and hope it stays consistent.Special Features:
- Good not fantastic but goodRfamily9VIPDined on 1/12/2014I was a table fo one and they were not thrilled about that, the food was average and the price wS higher than average
- A special placeex94121erDined on 9/28/2013Ernesto's is always a special place for my husband and myself to dine. Doug who is the head waiter is always ready to enhance your dining experience. The best things to try are the specials, their mussels are fantastic, and all the chicken dishes are very well done. Jimmy the owner has a way of keeping a chicken breast juicy and tender not matter what dish you order. I highly recommend Ernesto's for dining the only draw back is the parking in the Richmond district is impossible, luckily we live a block and a half away and are able to just walk there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was very accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2013Staff was very accommodating especially when we booked for 6 people and we had 2 additional people show up.Special Features:
- Ernesto's is a small neighborhoodJaneVIPDined on 7/26/2013Ernesto's is a small neighborhood Italian restaurant on Clement Street in San Francisco and one of the very few not serving Asian food. It is located close to the Palace of the Legion of Honor, which is why we chose it for our dinner. We had been to see the new Impressionists on Water show and were looking for a modestly priced place to eat. The waiter was very friendly and recommended an excellent bottle of wine to accompany our meal. We both ordered the veal saltimbocca, which was tasty but nothing out of the ordinary. It came with very bland, unseasoned broccoli, pasta (not house-made) and garlic bread that had been burned around the edges and on the underside. The tiramisu was the best part of the meal; it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ernesto's on ClementLLSFVIPDined on 7/14/2013This place has warmed up since they moved to this corner spot some 12 + years ago. They finally hung some art on the walls. The wait was super long and the waiters kept bumping into me; I sat opposite the window, so if you're into dining experience; avoid getting a table there. Waiters kept saying dinner was coming but it took almost an hour to get our meal. Apparently there was a big group, but buy us a bottle of wine and tell us there's going to be a long wait, don't lie and say our meal was coming. No, we paid for the wine. We lost enthusiasm; we were falling asleep. Food was ok. I'll probably wait another 12 years until I try this place again. Or I'll wait to bring 36 of my closest friends for some faster service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutsanfranfemVIPDined on 5/25/2013I'm not sure why people have rated this place so highly besides the amusing wait staff. It wasn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but the food was definitely mediocre at best for all 3 of our main dishes. The appetizer did not impress either.
- We are so luckyMemlouiseVIPDined on 5/12/2013We are so lucky to have a great neighborhood Italian place. I chose this for Mother's Day ... and it was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, family friendlyiambethgreenDined on 5/11/2013I love Ernesto's food and their friendly and well informed servers. Super good spot for family dinners, nice wine list and good prices for the delicious food they serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were met at the door byOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/19/2013We were met at the door by the only waiter/maitre'd. Very friendly. The place is lacking in ambiance but is clean and comfortable. Remined me of the restaurants in East Boston. Food was good and plenty of it.Special Features:
- We went for a casual italianSFFoodLoverVIPDined on 3/9/2013We went for a casual italian dinner. Our waiter was nice and funny. The food was good, this is more of a neighborhood place, not a destination restaurant. The capellini with tomato sauce was pretty oily. Wines by the glass were fine, but nothing special. Overall, a good decent neighborhood place.Special Features:
- Yakking on Phone at Dinner uncoolOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2012In general we had a very nice time at this restaurant. The food waas great and the service good. We were disturbed, however, by our neighboring diner who talked on his cell phone in Chinese for 15 minutes while waiting for his food to be served. We thought we were daved when the food came, but he started eating while he was talking! Soon, that proved fruitless and he gave up the conversation (whew!. We had a few laughs with the waiter about it, but I would have preferred if the resaurant had a policy of not using the cell phone (for phone calls) at the table.Special Features:
- we had a wonderful SaturdaySFFoodieDined on 7/28/2012we had a wonderful Saturday evening at Ernesto's. The waiter was friendly and attentive and the food was wonderful. The atmosphere is casual and friendly and you feel at home there. We have never been disappointed with any meal at Ernesto's and we have been there many times because we live in the outer Richmond. I can recommend Ernesto's to anyone whether you want a quiet dinner for two or a larger party for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Huge portions perfect forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2012Huge portions perfect for splitting and good wine choices!Special Features:
- Our server was amazing, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2012Our server was amazing, very professional and very friendly!Special Features:
- Excellent for FamiliesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012We were a family group of seven, three generations, celebrating Mothers Day and a teenage birthday. Every person in this diverse group found menu selections to their taste, the food to their liking, and the server especially attentive. The atmosphere at Ernesto's was reminiscent for me of one of the better Italian restaurants in South Philadelphia. I thoroughly enjoyed our meal there and definitely will return.Special Features:
- Arrived at 6:30, didn't getOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2012Arrived at 6:30, didn't get our food till a little after 8:00pm. They were fulfilling to-go orders before our table of 14 were served. Not the waiters fault, but there's only one cook and they should've compensated us something especially since we had 6 kids with us. Food was extremely salty and menu is pedestrian. Wanted to support my local restaurants, but this place is horrible. Try Mescolanza a few blocks down.
- Best pork chop I ever had!larryDined on 4/1/2012Best pork chop I ever had! Servers were Great! Corkage waved if you buy a bottle of their wine.Special Features:
- Friendly little neighborhoodStevendVIPDined on 3/31/2012Friendly little neighborhood gem. Good food, good prices.Special Features:
- Delicious! We've been comingSFGiantsGirlDined on 3/9/2012Delicious! We've been coming here for years and it's always good!Special Features:
- a friend introduced me toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/24/2012a friend introduced me to ernesto's just before xmas and i have been there twice since, bringing others to enjoy the experience. the food is wonderful and even though the waiter was literally running around to attend to all the customers, he kept his composure and was very pleasant and accommodating. they need to get him some help!! i know i will continue to go back even though parking is at a premium.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2012Food was excellent. There were 7 if us and everything we ordered was very satisfying. Portions are large and we all had food to take home and enjoy for another meal. It was very busy and thank goodness we made a reservation. Only disappointment was I had ordered a canneloni 'To Go' and when the bill came, the waiter told me he had forgotten to place the order and it would take 20 min, but it was so busy he didn't really want to do it, so the person who was expecting their dinner from Ernesto's wasn't too happy.Special Features:
- Great food, but there wasEater1Dined on 12/29/2011Great food, but there was only one food server in the entire restaurant. We waited a long time just to get our menus, not to mention ordering and getting our food. For a restaurant that was not that full, the food server sure did a lot of running around and making excuses. For some reason he couldn't find my OpenTable reservation and after a few seconds of looking on a list behind the counter, he just shrugged and waved at two tables that we could choose to be seated. I've lived nearby and dined at this restaurant for many years, though not often, but this was the first time I felt like it was lacking in so many ways. It pains me to write that, especially because the food is really good.
- Thinking I had made reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2011Thinking I had made reservations another more upscale Italian restaurant on Clement after my initial disappointment I was happy to find Ernesto's a pleasant old school Italian neighborhood restaurant. Utilitarain but clean atmosphere,very friendly,attentive service and good home-style food neither fussy nor pretentious. The hot garlic bread a definite plus.Special Features:
- The seating & service is extremelyvegasbabyvegasDined on 7/30/2011The seating & service is extremely disorganized, but the food was great.Special Features:
- First TimersTonyDined on 5/28/2011Heard about Ernesto's from a radio host. "One of his 4 favorite restaurants in SF". Had to try it. We were very pleased with the service and food as well as the cost. We felt that it was reasonable. Wine list is moderately priced. Salads were cold and crisps and the veal was thin and tender. Outstanding find for our first time and we will make the 40 mile trip again just for the food and service. CIAO.Special Features:
- Service was friendly at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/27/2011Service was friendly at this neighborhood restaurant. The baked clams and fettuccine with prawns and artichokes were goo. Veal and linguine with bolognese were just okay.Special Features:
- We moved back to RichmondMemlouiseVIPDined on 5/18/2011We moved back to Richmond a year ago and find ourselves frequenting Ernesto's as a new favorite neighborhood place. The service is terrific; the food prepared well and in good portions; and the neighbors always willing to chat and say hello. It's just delightful and we've already celebrated one occasion there.Special Features:
- Ernesto's is one of my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/25/2011Ernesto's is one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants. Food and service were great as always. It was good to see a full house on Friday night.Special Features: