Ernest & Scott Taproom
900 North Market St.
Wilmington, DE 19801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ernest & Scott Taproom
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ernestandscott.com/
- Phone: 3023848113x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jasper Bede
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Dancing, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off premise catering available for any event size.
A word from Ernest & Scott Taproom
Ernest&Scott Taproom is a beer driven full service restaurant and event space featuring a modern beer garden menu. We are among the first beer-centric retailers in America to adopt the Brewers’ Association definition of craft brewery. Moreover, we apply the craft aspect to other facets of the restaurant from craft American Wines and Spirits to Creekstone Farms Meats butchered by Pat Lafreida to Glenn, our local mushroom forager.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ernest & Scott Taproom reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (8)good for groups (8)special occasion (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (6)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (5)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Service was horrible - food mediocre at best - not hot. Alcohol added to our bill that we did not order - one of 4 entrees not put in - so that meal came when the rest of us were done eating. Management made no effort to offer anything for that inconvenience . Will not be going back!Special Features:
- City Favoritenschmid15Dined on 10/11/2014Every meal and every occasion at the Ernest & Scott Taproom has been a very enjoyable one. They have a wonderful staff and the food is always delicious. Prices are fare for the quality and quantity of food you receive. I have recommended this restaurant to many others and they in turn have been pleased!Special Features:
- Ernest & ScottBillDined on 9/26/2014An impromptu lunch for 10 and it was the ideal place. I had been there a few times with smaller and larger group and they always seem to be able to accommodate. This time three colleagues from India were part of the group and the restaurant came up with vegetarian dishes on the spot. Lunch turned out to be comfortable and delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere and VarietyOpenTableDinerDined on 9/13/2014The menu was varied and interesting, presentation of the food was creative, and the service was excellent. The food itself was a little salty for our tastes and not the best cuts. Overall, we will try this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $15 5 6oz flights for the winredrumbleDined on 8/23/2014Food was amazing, beer selection was perfect, and staff all around was amazing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- vicjovicjoDined on 7/25/2014The food at Ernest and Scott was very good. I was somewhat surprised at how few people we at the restaurant on a Friday night. We had 8:00 o'clock dinner reservations. When we arrived there was only one other table of diners, when we left we were the only ones in the dining room. The Bar area was busy and the music was very vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodDined on 7/13/2014Service was very good and she was looking out for us at all times. Food was good, but felt over priced for some of the items on the menu. We would like to go back for lunch to see what that may be like. The only issue that I have is that the restaurant says dress code is smart casual and it was anything but…Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 186 reviews are from the Ernest & Scott Taproom reviews archive.
- Pre-show mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/201415 minutes for server to greet us and take our drink order. Looked around and it appeared there were too few servers for the number of tables filled. Because we didn't want to be late for the show at the Grand Opera House we only ordered burgers which were just ok. By the time the food came out we had to eat quickly and leave. You would think they would consider the show schedule when staffing. It's really too bad because they have a great location. Hope they can get it together.Special Features:
- disappointingnotacitrusfanDined on 6/19/2014For what should have beena busy night, with World Cup soccer on big screens, they were quite slow. So, we should have had good service. We order two glasses of wine and cobb salads. The service was left to runners, with small portion salads. The waitress who took our order came back when we were almost finished with the usual "how is everything?" Not enough dressing, "we don't have bread service??", we would never recommend this place unless you are looking for a beer
- Good food, good atmotpheresillyboy42Dined on 6/17/2014On a whim we decided to check out Ernest & Scott Taproom for dinner. My calamari appetizer was perfectly prepared, and the spicy marana accompanying it was very flavorful. My wife had a very nice looking beet salad for her appetizer. Main courses were also very nice. My wife's chicken was moist and flavorful, with a nice crispy skin. I had the rabbit sausage sandwich which was very tasty. It's also nice to see a restaurant that has more than one kind of hard cider available. It would be awesome if that had some on tap, but I don't think it's popular enough for that yet. I would absolutely eat here again.Special Features:
- Inside diningBeckyDined on 6/13/2014We ate inside this time because of the weather. The room was a little noisy... World Cup and a performer made it difficult to have a conversation.Special Features:
- menu is stark our choices were goodBeckyDined on 6/7/2014a few more items on the entrée list. chicken not breaded or fried would be nice. mussels, bistro steak were good. salmon was average. mixed drinks unique. thanks for having a good NA beer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantSandyDined on 5/28/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and have enjoyed ourselves every time. The wait staff is attentive; service is fast; and the food is delicious! It's one of our favorite places.Special Features:
- Great timeBartDined on 5/7/2014A group of us were heading to a show at the grand and found this awesome place! Everything exceeded our expectations. We travel and frequently dine out this place was great. It had the party atmosphere and great music Wednesday night, I can't say anything negative it was all good! Look forward to going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the showmsmdp2uVIPDined on 5/7/2014Efficient yet attentive service, great food - our favorite "pre-grand" restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ...in a handbasketLedZepDined on 5/7/2014We've dined at Ernest & Scott at least a dozen times before, but this experience was awful. Murphy's Law too, because we brought friends with us. After placing drink orders and waiting 15 minutes, I had to get up and go find staff to ask where our server had gone. It never got any better. The condiments I requested when the order was placed were not brought with the meal as promised. I had to choose to eat the food without or let it get cold waiting. The death of a restaurant is to take your customers for granted.
- DisappointedKabobKatsDined on 5/7/2014We have dined here twice before prior to attending an event at The Grand, as was the case this time. There was a large table of very noisy and demanding people in the middle of the dining area. It was impossible to get out due to the amount of space available once people were seated at the table. Even one spot was taken by a high chair. I would hate to see what would happen in the event of a fire. There was a band setting up while we were there, directly in front of the kitchen. The servers had to dodge the musicians going in and out of the kitchen for service. We ordered four items, and shared them. The truffle fries, recommended by the server, came out without the truffle oil on them. The Chicken bites were cold.Special Features:
- Redeemed themselvesFuzzWuzzVIPDined on 4/29/2014About two months ago I took a group to the restaurant prior to a performance at the Grand. It was not a good experience. I was invited back by the owner and asked to bring the same group and give E&S another chance. We got the group together and came back. It was a totally different experience this time! It was the type experience I had come to expect prior to having the one bad experience. Wait staff was friendly and available, the food was very good and served in the right amount of time, and the group had a good time. It was a very good experience for all of us and we all have E&S Taproom back on our like of downtown favorites.Special Features:
- Good servicelovetoeatDined on 4/18/2014Our server, Ike, was great! He was friendly and attentive. Of our party of 5, 3 loved their food and 2 did not. The scallops with risotto were recommended by our server, but were not great. The scallops were good, however, there are only 3. The risotto, while plentiful., was very bland. Another member of our party ordered the pot pie and also said it lacked flavor. The flat iron steak and pork chop very very much enjoyed by the people at our table who ordered them. Great atmosphere and we will probably go back and order different items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Service - we leftJRREHOVIPDined on 4/17/2014We went on Thursday 4/17- made a reservation, stood at the door for a good 5-7 minutes, went to the bar and asked to be seated - host seated us....one other table in dining room that left. We waited 8 minutes - no server. We left. Will we go back? Why should we
- Great Bar!sesullivanDined on 4/4/2014This was our first time there and we really liked it. Definitely not for a romantic dinner but very energetic. If you are looking for good music, great drinks, good food and energy....this is a fantastic place. We will definitely be going back sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone happyNNdinesDined on 3/29/2014We had a group of 8 people (ages 30-70) and each of us thoroughly enjoyed our dinners... fish, steak, dinner salad, and shellfish. The waitress was friendly and competent. It was very early evening on a Saturday before going to the theater so the restaurant was quiet. There is a large bar area so it might be more lively later at night. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome again!One of our newOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/22/2014Awesome again!One of our new favorites.The scallops were great change my side to coucous very different from what Im used to but wonderful.My husband got the flat iron steak cooked perfectly and he really enjoyed it.And Ike was a great server again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere! WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014Great atmosphere! Wonderful food and service! We really enjoyed this dining experience - wish that we lived closer, so that we could return more frequently! But we'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Dinner and the GranddenativeDined on 3/7/2014We enjoy coming to the Taproom whenever we are heading to a show at the Grand. The servers always make sure that we are able to enjoy our meal and still make the show on time. Our meals were delicious. The Bison burger is the best around! The beer selection is outstanding and we always find something new to try. The musician that was playing that evening had a soulful voice and was very talented. We will be back to Ernest and Scott soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair nightjen13Dined on 3/1/2014We have eaten here before and I remember it being so good. It was probable what I ordered because my husband fish special was great. I got the grilled vegetable sandwich and it was not what I thought, Not much flavor , but I had the beet salad that was so yummy. Great place to eat before a show at the Grand and the service was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night out!JayePDined on 3/1/2014We had dinner at Ernest and Scott before going to a show at the Grand Opera House, something we do on a regular basis. The food is always good, but this meal was just outstanding! I had the flat iron steak - perfectly cooked to my specifications and very tender. The sides were delicious and a perfect accompaniment. My husband had the inside-out chicken pot pie and was also very pleased with his selection. Our server (Joanna) was delightful, very attentive without hovering, and she helped make this a very pleasant experience for all of us (4 in our party). Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was tasty and wellRexspecsVIPDined on 2/22/2014The food was tasty and well priced, but the service was slow and the decor is strange. It was also much too loud for a Saturday, pre-theatre dinner crowd.Special Features:
- Big improvement!grandoperahousefanDined on 2/22/2014The fra diablo mussels were excellent. Much better selection of food and specials than a few months ago. Inside out potpie was a hit, too! Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/21/2014the restaurant was very comfortable neat and clean. The wait staff was awesome friendly and cooperative. The menu is a bit limited and could be expanded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We got there on a Fri at 6pmMBHAYESVIPDined on 2/21/2014We got there on a Fri at 6pm forgetting that it would be happy hour. There was a band there and I asked to be placed as far away from the band as possible. There were 2 hostesses and the one repeats my request to the other with some attitude as if my request was some big imposition. Then we were seated at a table that was about 25 feet away from the band rather than one of the tables in the back of the restaurant. When I asked why we could not have one of the tables in the back I was told it was because it would mess up the servers. So we stayed at the table we were seated at and we sat there for 15 min until we stopped a waiter and asked who was our server and then we finally got some service. Or server was attentive. Food was good.
- NoiseElizabethVIPDined on 2/21/2014i took my kids to see Stomp so we decided to go to E&S for dinner...the music was so loud at the restaurant i asked our server to turn it down...she said she had no control. my reservations were for 6...my expectations at 6 were to be able to chat with my teenage kids about their week and walk to the playhouse…instead we had to sit in practical silence because we couldn’t hear each other. In the bar = cool for loud music Coming for dinner = turn it down or find a way to lower it in the dinner section vs. bar section I spent >$100 on dinner and will likely never come back because of it…plenty of other places to chose from..Special Features:
- Valentine's celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Price fix menu was a nice addition...staff was friendly... Bottled wine prices are a bit over the top!Special Features:
- AverageJmac1977Dined on 2/8/2014We have tried this place now for the third time. We really want to like it, but there's just something about it. The food is okay; the service is ok. There was a mix-up in the kitchen where they served the special with chips instead of fries for three of us. Then would only bring two servings of fries to the table. They did this to the table next to us too. Marked ambiance low due to it being freezing cold in the restaurant. Some on the party ate dinner with coats on. Maybe we'll try it again, maybe not. Ahhh, downtown Wilmington.
- Good for lunchKennethDined on 2/4/2014The restaurant was quiet so easy to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Great Food!KabobKatsDined on 2/1/2014The food here is innovative and really good. The Penne with Vodka sauce was amazing, and the fish tacos were quite tasty!Special Features:
- Great beer and wine list.LAURADined on 2/1/2014Great beer and wine list. Also a wonderful stop pre or post shows on Market StreetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night Bar SceneLuv2eatDined on 1/31/2014We stopped in for dinner before a show. It was their second anniversary so I don't know whether it's like this every week, but it was quite loud with a very busy bar. They seated us in a separate area, but it was still noisy. There was a guitarist/singer with a loud mike adding to the general noise level. The food was pretty good and the service was OK. I would try this restaurant again on a different night of the week to see if it might have a more reasonable noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2014Really good food. Large list of drinks. Fun atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid option in WilmingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/23/2014Solid place for a business lunch. Low-key but very attentive service. Pretty standard menu, but everything I've had has been good. It's a go-to for me for younger clients or when going out to lunch with co-workers. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for dinners or anything fancy, but the bar scene during happy hour is pretty good, especially for downtown Wilmington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.