Erling Jensen The Restaurant
1044 S. Yates Rd
Memphis, TN 38119Neighborhood:
East-Bartlett / Collierville / Germantown
ContinentalPrice: $50 and over
Erling Jensen The Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ejensen.com/
- Phone: (901) 763-3700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Erling Jensen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, special events etc...
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining for groups from ten to fifty people. Audio Visual equipment available for professional presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Jaquila Jensen or Alison Pollan 9017633700x
A word from Erling Jensen The Restaurant
Erling has fashioned our approach to cuisine: globally inspired, and classically executed, featuring the freshest, most seasonal ingredients to produce a meal of the highest quality and caliber. As the seasons change, we will reinvent our menu, creating fresh new challenges for us and pleasant little surprises for you. This approach, while founded in the French tradition, reflects our commitment to the healthy, imaginative eclectic and ethnically diverse cuisine of today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Erling Jensen The Restaurant - Best Restaurants in East-Bartlett / Collierville / Germantown ›
Erling Jensen The Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (80)romantic (66)fit for foodies (51)notable wine list (50)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (10)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- xxxxDined on 11/22/2014xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICE, FOOD, AMBIANCE!!!!!EXCELLENTDined on 11/15/2014I went to celebrate my husband b-day. We called to verify if we could bring our six years old. The Chef talked to us, he said that she was welcome, immediately asked " What does she likes?". Food was excellent, the Chef cooked pasta for my daugther and she loves it!!! Great Food, Great Service, they went above and beyond!!Special Features:
- An Exceptional Dining ExperienceGoodfellaDined on 11/15/2014My significant other and I were truly blown away. One of the best, if not the best restaurant in Memphis, and I have been to most of them. Great service in a wonderfully romantic environment. Food was excellent, had an extensive wine list, and knowledgeable wait staff. We'll be back again next time we're in Memphis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!skinny8051Dined on 11/10/2014The food at this restaurant is amazing and 2nd to none. Though not somewhere we could afford to go weekly, it is definitely tops on our special occasion list. Erling himself came around multiple times to ensure all guests were satisfied and to personally greet everyone. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againCaedenDined on 11/3/2014Love this place. One of my top 10 restaurants in the US consistently. Crab cakes are killer and had the Tuna Tempura app which was amazing. Too Tall was our server again and did a fabulous job as usual. Can always count on EJ's to be a fabulous meal for any occasion.Special Features:
- Fantastic as alwaysTakeNoteDined on 11/2/2014The first Sunday of the month 3-course meal with no corkage fee continues to bring us back. Select choices of appetizers, entrées and desserts for $38 is the best value in town. The food is beautifully presented and the service is smooth and efficient. Plus, we bring our own wine for no additional fee. It is the perfect way to end the weekend. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Perfect restuaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/30/2014The doorman, maitre d', server and the chef, Erling Jensen were all accomodating and gracious with the service.Special Features:
- Jed1027Dined on 10/27/2014I was told this would be a romantic atmosphere to celebrate my wedding anniversary. There was a group of people next to us and they were very loud so there was no romance. I had to talk loud to hear my party. I didn't like the salad, the quail was not done enough for my palate, the salmon entrée was good. I spent $145, so not worth it. I do not recommend. Parked on the street, very small parking lot.
- Erling JensenDapdinesDined on 10/23/2014The menu was great- very interesting & tasty foods! And the wine list was fantastic! Our only complaint was our waiter, not very friendly or attentive, unlike the other waitstaff. The chef, however, personally came out more than once to ask how we were enjoying everything. My Dad really enjoyed his birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014Waitress was hurried. She would ask how everything was, if we needed anything and before we could even respond she was off. Attention to service was lacking. Food was ok but had to return the appetizer because not cooked the right way as advertised, not worth the price. Only positive thing was portion size was generousSpecial Features:
- AdequateMcMinnVolManiacDined on 10/17/2014Spent an enjoyable evening at Erling Jensen. The ambience was nice for a quiet dinner with friends or loved ones. The bar, while small, was more energetic but certainly not noisy (seemed to be populated by locals who knew each other well). The staff was attentive, knowledgeable and professional. The food was good but did not stand up to more creative and innovative restaurants in other cities I have recently visited. I spent most of my life living near Memphis but have not been a frequent visitor in 20 yrs. Overall, it stands up well against the food scene I remember; however, if you are expecting Husk (Charleston), Etch (Nashville), Bacchanalia (Atlanta), etc. you will be disappointed. Overall a pleasant experience but not memorable.Special Features:
- Special Occassion nightHarryDined on 10/17/2014My friend and I had the wine/dinner pairing. It was great! The food was excellent, the wine perfectly matched and the service impeccable. Highly recommend this restaurant for a Special Occassion night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for special occasionsjohnny5Dined on 10/13/2014This is a little gem tucked away in a neighborhood just off the busy streets. The food is excellent - definitely a contender for best restaurant in Memphis. I had the duck, and it was the best I've ever had. Tender, moist, great smokey flavor, and a generous portion. Started with mushroom soup and spinach salad - both were great. Atmoshphere is decent - nothing too unique, but cozy and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backAmysDined on 10/11/2014It was one of the best meals we've had....beautiful, fantastic, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in MemphisfoodonthegoDined on 10/7/2014We visited Erling Jensen's for our 25th wedding anniversary and were not disappointed. The entire evening was a pleasure starting with the greeting at the door, the service throughout the evening, and, of course, the food was outstanding. Mr. Jensen stopped by twice during the evening adding a special personal touch. He is engaging and friendly and an exceptional chef. We will not wait 25 years before our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, A must in diningTexans7000Dined on 10/6/2014The food and dining experience was incredible. This is a must for a Memphis dining experience. The crab cake appetizer is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return for moreLoveEatPlayDined on 10/5/2014Erling was not there the night I visited his restaurant. My meal was perfect! My date got some oyster shell in his salad, but said it was worth staying for the steak. Fantastic! We will return for more when Erling is present.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chef!joyceliveDined on 9/28/2014Earling is the best! He came to our table twice during dinner to insure everything was to our satisfaction. The Sunday night prix fixe dinner menu is limited, not much of a selection. However, what we ordered was beautiful....taste & presentation.Special Features:
- Always exceptionalFoodcritic812VIPDined on 9/27/2014Erling always does a fantastic job because it is a passion not a business. You get that sense by his level of involvement. He makes it a point to come see you at your table and makes you feel appreciated. Not only does he do this but his leadership by example sets the standard for his entire staff. The manager is also very visible and active. The food was exceptional. Nice touches such as compliments between courses. The menu is simple yet sophisticated and the combinations are unique to Memphis and would hold up to any fine NYC establishment. Kudos to Erling and a special thank you for gracefully working with my wife's gluten restriction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Rare Treat!IcePrincessVIPDined on 9/26/2014It is such a pleasure to dine here when my husband and I make the drive (we live in a smaller town about 1 hour away). The food is always such a treat. This time I ordered the lamb (my new favorite). It was exceptional! I cannot wait to return. EJ is a gem and I look forward to our next trip.Special Features:
- PERFECTgoodeatsVIPDined on 9/21/2014Everything was perfect. All 4 of us had the Sunday night dinner special. Three of us had the lamb, it was prepared perfectly. The other entree was the buffalo which was also wonderful. The portions were generous even though it is supposed to be reduced portion. Our waiter Stephen was super attentive, polite and professional. We celebrated a birthday and entire evening was very special. We are regulars there and Erling Jensen never disappoints. We look forward to our next outing there.Special Features:
- Very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Very quiet but enjoyable dinner at EJ. Erling himself came out at least a couple of times to check on our table. Enjoyed the 3 course special which is only on Sunday nights. Wonderful pork belly first course followed by great Buffalo tenderloin. The dessert, a chocolate lava cake, was off the mark. The center was underdone and I did not care for the raspberry mousse topping. all in all a great meal.
- GRANDMA'S BIRTHDAYmamanicDined on 9/12/2014HAD AN ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS TIME. MICAH WAS FANTASTIC AS OUR SERVER. THE FOOD WAS INSANELY GREAT. GRANDMA MADE THE COMMENT THAT SHE HAD NEVER IN HER LIFE EATEN LIKE THAT.Special Features:
- 26th Wedding AnniversaryFoodieDined on 9/12/2014We have really enjoyed EJ in the past for special occasion dining. Our most recent visit left us wanting. We ordered the wine dinner for $75 per person and the food was barely enough to serve an infant. The food was prepared well but the portions were very small.Special Features:
- Lived up to the hype.FrankDined on 9/10/2014This was our first trip to Erling Jensen which has won all the restaurant awards and acclaimations. We did not think it would live up to it's reputation. We were pleasantly wrong. This restaurant exceeded all expectations. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service, awesome food!TheLogosDined on 9/6/2014I took my wife to Erling Jensen for our fifth wedding anniversary, and after our experience we will be returning for special occasions. They have complimentary valet as they have a somewhat small parking lot. I did not look at the wine list or get any drinks, nor did my wife, so I cannot comment on that. The menu is relatively extensive, covering all sorts of meats, seafoods, and I believe a couple vegetarian options. I got the crawfish bisque (amazing!), the buffalo tenderloin (fantastic!) and the peach marzipan cobbler. Wife got the mushroom soup, the rack of lamb (extremely good!) and the chocolate souffle. Every bite was wonderful from the first to the last. As a bonus, we actually had a celebrity sitting next to us!Special Features:
- First time visitDinerDelight439Dined on 9/4/2014This visit was worth it. The food was fresh and tasted great. I brought my girlfriend there since she likes these local fine dining. She's not a fan of those chained restaurants. Atmosphere was intimate and private. Good for special occasions like anniversary or Valentines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food with great service!!TGStarDined on 8/30/2014Too Tall was our server and was an outstanding host. He made us feel like we were the only guests in the restaurant. Very knowledgable of the menu and wine list. Erling the Chef(owner) was doing table checks all night. He made a point to visit each table and make sure every dish was pleasing and prepared the way we wanted!! My wife and I have been there maybe twice a year for the last 10 years and each visit is consistent! We always go there for special times( anniversary/ birthdays) and each time they ask the occasion while booking reservations- the valet knows, the hostess knows, the server knows- each wishes you Happy Anniversary! They even take the time write out on each dessert-in our case "Happy 11th Anniversary!!" Every one is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an experience.UnimpressedDined on 8/29/2014This was my mothers first time at EJ and she is still talking about how much she enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Still one of the best meals in Memphis - with top notch service - and a chef/owner who understands how to make it all workSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service. We have been here several times for special occasions and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Erling's consistently excellent!BalladboyDined on 8/16/2014I cannot think of a single time that I have been to Erling's and thought, "I should have gone somewhere else." Every time that I have been to EJ's, the food has been spectacular and the service perfect. I have no idea how this man is able to serve at such high levels. He just doesn't seem to have an "off day". I always recommend Erling's to anyone wishing a special event or occasion. I have held business meetings with 20 people at EJ's as well as intimate dining with my wife. There is no better in Memphis for dining!Special Features:
- Friday Night Wine Dinner2FoodiesDined on 8/15/2014Amazing menu paired with great wines! Worth checking the wine dinner menu out every week, but the main menu is also amazing.Special Features:
- ExcellentHaroldDined on 8/10/2014There is a dinner, and there is a dining experience. Erling Jensen falls into the latter category. Great menu and great service. I would recommend this place for dates and small gatherings of friends and family.Special Features:
- Very Good DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I strongly recommend this restaurant for special event. It is really good one!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnertennflyDined on 8/10/2014It was the first time to eat here for both of us. It was very good. The New York Strip was excellent, as was the fish entree. What we consider the most memorable was the crab cakes. It was the best we ever had. Ambiance was excellent and so was the service. Expensive; over $200 for appetizers, entrees, desert, and two glasses of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again, Another Great MealSRT531Dined on 8/9/2014The food selection was outstanding as well as a great wine list. Erling Jensen the Restaurant never fails to deliver. The server made a great wine recommendation that we were both pleased with.Special Features:
- Erling Jensen's Shines!LongTimeMemphianDined on 8/8/2014Great dinner and staff. Perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- World class restaurantLuvmywineDined on 8/8/2014Superb food. We started with the lobster pancake, full of lobster and topped with crabmeat, and the fois gras with sorbet and brioche. We chose to share everything we ordered and was not disappointed. The mushroom soup and the entrees of Dover sole and buffalo tenderloin were divine. The portions were generous with beautiful presentation. Desserts included peach cobbler and a decadent chocolate cake both with homemade ice cream. I have heard about this restaurant for many years, drove by daily,so very excited to dine. We were celebrating my return home from caring for 9 month old triplets and my birthday. It was an excellent choice. We have been entertained at very notable places from NOLA, Houston, NYC. Erling Jensen can compete with any.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of 6 loved the special mealWolfpackDined on 8/8/2014There were 3 couples in our group and we have dined together many times. Irling had a special wine paring meal with several unique dishes which most of us hadn't tried before...exceptional! Service--exceptional! Irling came by the table personally to make sure all was to our liking. The wines were well matched, and no let downs. Just simply a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.