Erling Jensen The Restaurant
1044 S. Yates Rd
Memphis, TN 38119Neighborhood:
East-Bartlett / Collierville / Germantown
ContinentalPrice: $50 and over
Erling Jensen The Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ejensen.com/
- Phone: 9017633700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental
- Executive Chef: Erling Jensen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, special events etc...
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining for groups from ten to fifty people. Audio Visual equipment available for professional presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Jaquila Jensen or Alison Pollan 9017633700x
A word from Erling Jensen The Restaurant
Erling has fashioned our approach to cuisine: globally inspired, and classically executed, featuring the freshest, most seasonal ingredients to produce a meal of the highest quality and caliber. As the seasons change, we will reinvent our menu, creating fresh new challenges for us and pleasant little surprises for you. This approach, while founded in the French tradition, reflects our commitment to the healthy, imaginative eclectic and ethnically diverse cuisine of today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Erling Jensen The Restaurant - Best Restaurants in East-Bartlett / Collierville / Germantown ›
Erling Jensen The Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (71)romantic (62)fit for foodies (43)notable wine list (35)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (10)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014Very quiet but enjoyable dinner at EJ. Erling himself came out at least a couple of times to check on our table. Enjoyed the 3 course special which is only on Sunday nights. Wonderful pork belly first course followed by great Buffalo tenderloin. The dessert, a chocolate lava cake, was off the mark. The center was underdone and I did not care for the raspberry mousse topping. all in all a great meal.
- 26th Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2014We have really enjoyed EJ in the past for special occasion dining. Our most recent visit left us wanting. We ordered the wine dinner for $75 per person and the food was barely enough to serve an infant. The food was prepared well but the portions were very small.Special Features:
- Lived up to the hype.FrankDined on 9/10/2014This was our first trip to Erling Jensen which has won all the restaurant awards and acclaimations. We did not think it would live up to it's reputation. We were pleasantly wrong. This restaurant exceeded all expectations. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service, awesome food!TheLogosDined on 9/6/2014I took my wife to Erling Jensen for our fifth wedding anniversary, and after our experience we will be returning for special occasions. They have complimentary valet as they have a somewhat small parking lot. I did not look at the wine list or get any drinks, nor did my wife, so I cannot comment on that. The menu is relatively extensive, covering all sorts of meats, seafoods, and I believe a couple vegetarian options. I got the crawfish bisque (amazing!), the buffalo tenderloin (fantastic!) and the peach marzipan cobbler. Wife got the mushroom soup, the rack of lamb (extremely good!) and the chocolate souffle. Every bite was wonderful from the first to the last. As a bonus, we actually had a celebrity sitting next to us!Special Features:
- First time visitDinerDelight439Dined on 9/4/2014This visit was worth it. The food was fresh and tasted great. I brought my girlfriend there since she likes these local fine dining. She's not a fan of those chained restaurants. Atmosphere was intimate and private. Good for special occasions like anniversary or Valentines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food with great service!!TGStarDined on 8/30/2014Too Tall was our server and was an outstanding host. He made us feel like we were the only guests in the restaurant. Very knowledgable of the menu and wine list. Erling the Chef(owner) was doing table checks all night. He made a point to visit each table and make sure every dish was pleasing and prepared the way we wanted!! My wife and I have been there maybe twice a year for the last 10 years and each visit is consistent! We always go there for special times( anniversary/ birthdays) and each time they ask the occasion while booking reservations- the valet knows, the hostess knows, the server knows- each wishes you Happy Anniversary! They even take the time write out on each dessert-in our case "Happy 11th Anniversary!!" Every one is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an experience.UnimpressedDined on 8/29/2014This was my mothers first time at EJ and she is still talking about how much she enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Still one of the best meals in Memphis - with top notch service - and a chef/owner who understands how to make it all workSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service. We have been here several times for special occasions and we have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Erling's consistently excellent!BalladboyDined on 8/16/2014I cannot think of a single time that I have been to Erling's and thought, "I should have gone somewhere else." Every time that I have been to EJ's, the food has been spectacular and the service perfect. I have no idea how this man is able to serve at such high levels. He just doesn't seem to have an "off day". I always recommend Erling's to anyone wishing a special event or occasion. I have held business meetings with 20 people at EJ's as well as intimate dining with my wife. There is no better in Memphis for dining!Special Features:
- Friday Night Wine Dinner2FoodiesDined on 8/15/2014Amazing menu paired with great wines! Worth checking the wine dinner menu out every week, but the main menu is also amazing.Special Features:
- ExcellentHaroldDined on 8/10/2014There is a dinner, and there is a dining experience. Erling Jensen falls into the latter category. Great menu and great service. I would recommend this place for dates and small gatherings of friends and family.Special Features:
- Very Good DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014I strongly recommend this restaurant for special event. It is really good one!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnertennflyDined on 8/10/2014It was the first time to eat here for both of us. It was very good. The New York Strip was excellent, as was the fish entree. What we consider the most memorable was the crab cakes. It was the best we ever had. Ambiance was excellent and so was the service. Expensive; over $200 for appetizers, entrees, desert, and two glasses of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again, Another Great MealSRT531Dined on 8/9/2014The food selection was outstanding as well as a great wine list. Erling Jensen the Restaurant never fails to deliver. The server made a great wine recommendation that we were both pleased with.Special Features:
- Erling Jensen's Shines!LongTimeMemphianDined on 8/8/2014Great dinner and staff. Perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- World class restaurantLuvmywineDined on 8/8/2014Superb food. We started with the lobster pancake, full of lobster and topped with crabmeat, and the fois gras with sorbet and brioche. We chose to share everything we ordered and was not disappointed. The mushroom soup and the entrees of Dover sole and buffalo tenderloin were divine. The portions were generous with beautiful presentation. Desserts included peach cobbler and a decadent chocolate cake both with homemade ice cream. I have heard about this restaurant for many years, drove by daily,so very excited to dine. We were celebrating my return home from caring for 9 month old triplets and my birthday. It was an excellent choice. We have been entertained at very notable places from NOLA, Houston, NYC. Erling Jensen can compete with any.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group of 6 loved the special mealWolfpackDined on 8/8/2014There were 3 couples in our group and we have dined together many times. Irling had a special wine paring meal with several unique dishes which most of us hadn't tried before...exceptional! Service--exceptional! Irling came by the table personally to make sure all was to our liking. The wines were well matched, and no let downs. Just simply a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional As AlwaysMemphisEatsDined on 8/8/2014Chose to do the wine dinner for our 10th anniversary and it was amazing as always. The wine was superbly paired with each course. The food is rich and delectable and I enjoyed that each course was filling, but not overwhelming. We ordered a second dessert as well and each item came out with enough time to enjoy and savor. The staff from the sommelier to our waiters treated us as royalty the entire time. Our service never slacked. We were given the same amount of attention from beginning to end with enough time with the courses to enjoy without being hovered over. Our server, Stephen was great. We always enjoy conversing with James.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic in every way!TakeNoteDined on 8/3/2014We met friends for the special Sunday Prix Fixe dinner. There are several appetizers, main coarse and dessert choices available for $38. There is no corkage fee for the first Sunday of every month, so we brought our own wine for a very special dinner. It was fantastic! The service was efficient and the chef made the rounds more than once during the evening. The food was presented beautifully, and it was prepared perfectly. (The Lobster Mac and Cheese appetizer is a winner.) We wanted for nothing for this 2-hour incredibly memorable meal. The restaurant was full so you'll want to make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait StaffReelfootDined on 7/28/2014The wait staff should look & dress a little more professional. White shirts, dark pants , apron. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and lovelyRandSDined on 7/26/2014AS always, a tasty dinner full of fresh ingredients and different flavors. Unique without being weird. Service was lovely and well paced.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceEclecticDined on 7/23/2014Great menu, some very interesting choices of game, beautiful presentation, superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing dining!LutetraDined on 7/20/2014I've booked in the last minute to avoid room service as I'm from Miami and what a wonderful surprise I had! one of the best meals I've had in US right beside the hotel I used to stay in Memphis. Also, the staff was so kind that even a ride to get back to my hotel, they've offered. Such a good way to end the weekend. Special thanks for Beth.Special Features:
- Great place for a special night.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014We went to Memphis to have a little get away for our 25th anniversary. We found Erling Jensen on line, after looking at the menu and reviews we made a reservation. When we showed up we were seated right away. The staff was very attentive without being intrusive. The food was great and was one of the high lights of the weekend. I would not pass up a chance to go back again.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014This is a great place to eat. It's fine dinning at its best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect special occasion experieceWannabeNashvilleCatDined on 7/18/2014My kind of service...not pretentious or stuffy. Each employee from the valet to the chef was genuine, caring, friendly and knowledgable. The servers did not hover, but seemed to appear at just the right time of need. The food was incredible. My guests had the buffalo tenderloin and the beef tenderloin...each outstanding. I had the scallops...delicious. The bread, salads and desserts were top-notch as well. One of my best fine dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully accommodatingmsissippiDined on 7/12/2014Not only was the food and service wonderful, but our server and Chef Jensen himself were dedicated to providing me with the gluten-free meal that I medically required. It was so refreshing to feel like I could enjoy a "normal" meal without having to worry about what I could eat.Special Features:
- Another great meal!DebbieDined on 7/12/2014We ate in the bar and it was great! A little less formal, with the same great tasting food! Prepared a special cheese and sausage plate for us which was great. Chicharrones with kale chips special and fun. Best restaurant in Memphis!Special Features:
- Absolutely loved it!TellnotalesVIPDined on 7/10/2014The food was fantastic. I had the roasted romaine with artichokes and my wife had the baby spinach salad, we both said it was the one of the best salad we have ever had. The monk fish and the Wagyu strip perfect. The chef came to our table and thanked us for coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Night Pre-FixeMemphisMadgeDined on 7/6/2014On Sundays at Erling's, there is a three-course menu special for $38. And on the first SUnday of the month, there is no corkage fee! The special menu offers several starters, entrees and desserts. The food is delicious and the selections are varied so there is an option for everyone. This is a great way to enjoy the talent of Erling Jensen without a huge hit to the pocketbook!Special Features:
- Excellent, as alwaysT42PLZVIPDined on 6/30/2014We always have a wonderful dinner here, and this time was no exceptionSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Everything was delicious and my server was so sweet and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Erlings Sunday June 29LovesfoodDined on 6/29/2014We love Erling's and it is our favorite special occasion place. We wanted to take friends out for a 50th Anniversary celebration, and chose our favorite place. The Sunday Special Menu is great -- love being able to get a full meal for $38 each! Our only complaint is that it was a crowded noisy evening. The staff was hustling with their usual graciousness, but it would be my guess that they were down one person as far as managing the crowd. And the 2 men behind us got louder and more obnoxious the more they drank. None of those are things that a restaurant can control, so they did a very admirable job keeping things going. Our server "Too Tall" was his usual gracious and welcoming self, and the food was wonderful, as always.Special Features:
- New favoritemassekeDined on 6/28/2014Wonderful meal (the foie gras was the very best) and impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing FoodFoodGirlDined on 6/27/2014We were disappointed in our filet of buffalo tenderloin. We have eaten buffalo at several restuarants and were looking forward to trying it at Erling Jensen. Parts of the tenderloin were very tough (basically inedible) and not seasoned well. There was a question if the mashed potatoes were fresh or from a box. We had been planning this special occasion for a long time and expected perfection from a restuarant like Erling Jensen based on their reputation and prices.Special Features:
- Do not order steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Went here for my 14 year anniversary after hearing such good reviews. Our waiter was very pushy and not real knowledgable. My wife's crab cakes and shrimp and pasta was great however I ordered a filet and it came out butterflied which out of all the restaurants I have been to I have never received a filet that was cut in half and cooked. It tasted like the worst dry roast I have ever eaten and when u pay $41 for a steak you would expect it to be wonderful. This was by far the worst steak I have ever ordered. Needless to say I left there hungry as the steak was not edible.Special Features:
- Great Find!IcePrincessVIPDined on 6/23/2014This was our first visit. We dined here on a recommendation from a colleague. It does not disappoint. We were welcomed into the restaurant with smiles & handshakes at the door. We were seated at a table that looked inviting, and our server was very nice. I ordered the Crab with Hollandaise for an appetizer, and the Monkfish for an entree. Oh how I wish I had more! It was outstanding! I could not finish my portion and was excited to have enough left to bring home for later. My only complaint is that the waitress at the next table noticed that we were done eating, and offered to take our plates and box up our leftovers to go. We ordered and ate dessert. She never brought our leftovers back, and we were halfway home before we realized it.Special Features:
- Romantic and specialDOCDONDined on 6/22/2014Erling Jensen's is a hidden Memphis wonder. The service and the cuisine are the best that Memphis has to offer. Order a Cesar salad? It will be unlike any salad you have ever had before. Every dish is innovative. Do you feel a bit intimidated by fine dining? Ask for 'Too Tall'. He will put you at ease. Be sure and try the Sunday evening menu. I love this place.Special Features:
- Tendency to over cook fishOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2014My wife's monkfish was severely overcooked. Hard and dry. What is it about restaurants in the MidSouth? Fish should be cooked gently and served on the rare side. Having said that, my Elk was phenomenal. Perfectly cooked and with a beautiful mineral taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.