69 Church Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.erbaluce-boston.com/
- Phone: 6174266969
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Draghi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: erbaluce has several private dining options ranging from two private rooms upstairs for parties of 8 to 22 in the smaller room, and up to 60 in the larger room. Cocktail parties for up to 100 guests. erbaluce is also available to contract larger events encompassing both floors upon request and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl Centeno 6174266969
- Special Events: erbaluce offers regularly scheduled regional Italian wine tastings, farmers' market tastings, and guest chefs. for more information, please sign up for our newsletter on www.erbaluce-boston.com. You can also find us on facebook at erbaluce(boston).
- Public Transit: The nearest T stop is the Arlington Street stop on the Green Line. The restaurant is two blocks away, down Arlington Street toward the South End, on Park Square.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available in a small lot adjacent to erbaluce, as well as many large parking garages surrounding the restaurant, and there is ample street parking available as well.
A word from erbaluce
Charles Draghi and Joan Johnson's highly acclaimed contemporary Italian restaurant and wine bar. With Charles' simple, ever changing menus, rooted in traditional regional Italian cooking,and the best seasonal local ingredients. This restaurant has won numerous awards and kudos from critics, and many dedicated customers. Along side the Italian menus are equally lauded, all Italian wine lists, comprised of rare and traditional village wines. Joan has created the inviting ambiance of erbaluce, which is lovely, simply elegant, and romantic- recalling the classic trattorias of Northern Italy. The enoteca/wine bar is a cozy and lively meeting place, with its own menu of simple plates and a fun cordials cocktail list. Joan's welcoming presence in the dining room, along with Charles' inventive cuisine and rare wine offerings, make an evening at erbaluce a truly wonderful and unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
erbaluce - Best Restaurants in Theater District ›
erbaluce reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)neighborhood gem (97)romantic (93)special occasion (91)notable wine list (70)good for groups (19)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- good food and wine!aggiemary04Dined on 10/18/2014Went during the Head of the Charles weekend and was desperate to find someplace that took reservations. I found this place on my Open Table app and am so happy we got in! The food and wine were amazing.Special Features:
- Wonderful diningplateitupDined on 10/18/2014We were so glad we found this great spot. Easy parking on Stuart Street in front of the restaurant. The staff are attentive and friendly, and for once, actually know the proper way to serve and clear a table. We never felt rushed and the timing for each course was just right. The food was wonderfully different and combined great flavors. The only down side was that they don't have a liquor license, but that's the only negative we found.Special Features:
- Boston goodieBestofBirminghamDined on 10/18/2014We had a delightful experience. Food and service were excellent!Special Features:
- Excellenthard2plzDined on 10/17/2014A superb restaurant for special occasions. We were fortunate to be seated upstairs which is better suited for quiet conversation (on a Friday night). Staff are superb, very knowledgeable in their recommendations, and the food has just the right balance of novelty and creativity with old favorites.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Quiet & CivilizedSheldonDined on 10/16/2014They serve classic Italian cuisine done the way I have had it in excellent restaurants in Italy. The Bolognese sauce was perfect. The flounder dish after that was also excellent. Creative plates (or at least new to us) included a sunflower dish; it was also excellent. Wine list is all Italian, and first-rate, with a good range of prices, for those who don't want to spend top dollar. We were able to sit and talk to an old friend for hours--no noise, discreet service.Special Features:
- Good Food, Atmosphere and ServicetippyDined on 10/15/2014The waiter was helpful when choosing wines. Our appetizers were good. Sunflowers with an amazing sauce & salad. The entrees, were a little disappointing. The stuffed pasta w/ herbs and riccotta was not cooked enough. It was like cardboard, though the filling was tasty. The boar was kind of tough. But other dishes are probably better and we got dishes that were not given much attention when we were there. They were busy that night. Fresh herbs used generously on every dish to a point of being redundant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an off-night for a great restaurantMikeSVIPDined on 10/15/2014This is a restaurant that we always love, but our dinner last night reminded me that pastas are what we should stick to here. We had a 6 PM table on a Wednesday night, and every table was full. Our waiter had too many tables to tend to, and the service was slow; the "bus-staff" were excellent and patrolled constantly. My pork cheeks and my wife's fish entrees were forgettable, unfortunately, although each dish had wonderful accompanying vegetables and sauces. I love the wine choices by the glass here. We will be back -- but next time, pastas for the main course!Special Features:
- Charming and uniquehardtoplease4636Dined on 10/12/2014First time here (my husband had been in once with a couple of his buddies), and I loved this sweet spot. Nate, the bartender, couldn't have been more pleasant and accommodating, suggesting food choices and wine. Everything was fabulous! Only one glitch.....I had the pork cheeks which were outstanding, but when they were served to me, they were only lukewarm. Highly recommended.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night specialJenPDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I were looking for a new spot for a special anniversary dinner pre-show this past weekend. I searched Open table, read some reviews & then made reservations. We were not disappointed. Everything was delicious. Our server was friendly & had wonderful suggestions for food as well as wine pairings. The restaurant decor is very simple, white walls, white table cloths & settings & "mood lighting". We had tickets for a 7:30pm & our reservation was for 5pm. We were expecting a leisurely meal, but we just made it to our show on time with the 5 pm reservation. It was well worth it, but that's just a note for planning ahead. My husband also suggested that this would be a great place for dinner after a matinee. I wholeheartedly concur.Special Features:
- eatsDined on 10/9/2014Fabulous from start to finish. One of the finest meals we've ever had and we've been to dozens of top rated restaurants. Every detail was impecable. The food was superb and the personal attention by the staff, managment and owners was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Every TimecindyeoVIPDined on 10/7/2014Excellent innovative food, prompt service, peace and quiet (which is becoming rare in restaurants), but the restaurant is always full of people, so it's not dull. One of our favoritesSpecial Features:
- Exceptional, Inventive Dining!!...IndaknowVIPDined on 10/5/2014Highly, highly recommended! A real, personalized touch from the owners, a rare and exceptional approach to creative dishes beautifully prepared and presented ::: Italian but of a form and style rarely seen, we were completely blown away and loved, loved, loved it!... Erbaluce would rate a "12" on the 1-10 scale if they would only improve as soon as possible the very insufficient and poor interior lighting. The kitchen works hard to make beautiful presentations, we noticed others struggling to see what was composed on their plates...I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian for special occasionbeanosbeantownDined on 10/3/2014great service. great food with menu that changes almost daily and a long list of specials. liked the fact that most entrees are cooked with no butter and cream. pricey though ($30/entree) so is fit for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Want to go back soon!DrBamDined on 10/3/2014The menu at erbaluce is interesting and offers enough unusual items that I want to go back and try them all: razor clams, pork cheeks, boar, sunflowers... The chef uses local ingredients and does not use butter or cream- this and the Italian-style way of cooking makes the food fresh, clean and delicious. The service was excellent- you feel as well taken care of as you would in a much more fancy/expensive establishment. The wine list is interesting and the server was very helpful in guiding our wish to try something new. Easy walk to the theatre district, and they are used to pre-show diners so they help you get out in time. No negatives at all. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbPeteDined on 10/2/2014I was told about Erbaluce by a foodie friend, and I now go there frequently. Everyone I have take there has loved it. The food is excellent, it's healthy, and everything is just perfect.Special Features:
- Always fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/1/2014Everything is done to perfection here, from the moment of seating. Jonah crab soup, prosciutto with apples, local tomatoes, buccatini with shaved truffles, blue fish, a blueberry and peach crostada .............. I have been going to Erbaluce and it is a singular experience in Boston, THE most authentic Italian restaurant outside of Piedmont.Special Features:
- I loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/28/2014Everything about the dining experience was good. The food was fresh and exciting. We had truffle pasta that was perfectly presented and cooked. It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Anniversary specialTomtomDined on 9/28/2014Had our 40th anniversary dinner here and had a most wonderful experience. Courteous staff, excellent food, lovely ambience. A South End restaurant just not in the South End. The chef was very engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Gem Outside the North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Our food was delicious! We started with the sunflower appetizer as well as a special scallop appetizer. The sunflower was surprisingly good. The flavor was similar to eggplant, while the texture reminded me of an artichoke. For our entrees we had the braised pork cheek and the rack of wild boar. I asked our server to recommend a wine to go with the boar and it was spot on. We split the chocolate budino for dessert, which was very rich but paired very well with my wine. At the end if our meal the hostess brought us a plate of complimentary truffles and meringues.Special Features:
- Excellent service+ allergy friendlyIloveeatingVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our waiter was amazing. He knew so much and explained all the words we didn't know without us even having to ask. He recommended an amazing bottle of wine in our price range. He handled the food allergy at the table without a problem (as did the kitchen) and made us feel comfortable. And the food, as always, was creative and excellent.Special Features:
- Caring chef and stafflafoodloverVIPDined on 9/25/2014Everyone cares so much about the food - the chef came by twice and the staff gave us great wine pairing recommendations. A special place.Special Features:
- UniqueDavidDined on 9/25/2014Different take on Italian food. Wild boar was excellent. Steak cooked very well.Special Features:
- Amazing food with great thoughtBobygeorgeDined on 9/21/2014Extremely well thought out daily menu with good wine list. Food combinations I would not usual think to pair up but they worked effortlessly. Price very reasonable as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest restaraunt EVERBunnyDined on 9/21/2014Ok ALL restaraunts should be like Erbaluce ! I don't mean they should have the same food, but the incredible care and thought with which Chef Charles designs and prepares his menu is just amazing.There is no cream and no butter in any of the dishes so you can eat more and taste the freshness and flavor of each food.The homemade pastas are always the right texture and innovative ,yet down home satisfying !Fish is cooked like you have never experienced it.Would you ever think a grilled sunflower could be a great appetizer? OMG ITS DELICIOUS! The chef and his staff are dedicated to their food and patrons! It's such a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014My fiancé and I had a fantastic time! Everything was absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underperformsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/18/2014Noisy; people at other tables raised their voices to be heard and the waiter had to lean in so I could hear him. Service was slow; about 45 min between seating and appetizer arriving at table. Food was not consistently well executed as would have expected for fine dining: spaghetti was softer than al dente, roasted potatoes were undercooked and not soft inside with crisp exterior. There are other places Boston with better food at a similar price that I would recommend
- As good as advertisedgeofreywyattDined on 9/18/2014I had high expectations after reading the press that were shattered by the even better experience I had up-close and personal!Food was transcendent. Noise was ear-shattering. Wine list eclectic, fair and varied (throughout Italy). Breadsticks rival the best I have ever had. Could I please have the recipe? An over-the-top dining experience. Only thing less than great was the service, which was so harried by the crowd that it took a long, long, long time to order and get our food. Nevertheless, the food itself was so good it made the service issues all but disappear.Special Features:
- Delivers as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/18/2014One of my fav restaurants in Boston. Food is amazing. This time the kitchen was probably understaffed so we had to wait long for our entrees, but my friends absolutely loved the food! Staff is very nice. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vera cucina moderna italianaPantaiulikDined on 9/17/2014This is the only place in Boston where I've eaten a real italian meal. The chef knows what he is doing and don't look for compromises and easy tricks. The true Italian cuisine is simple and light. Don't expect strong flavors that mute the savy armony of the ingredients. The balanced mixture of details is all. They don't serve american-italian food at all. And they are very nice. If you don't eat your pasta because you don't like it, they won't charge you that pasta. And when they are so busy that your entrèe comes five minutes later, they will recompensate you with a free dessert. Did I say that they make superb desserts?Special Features:
- Outstanding in every categorybreakfastloverVIPDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I were visting Boston and found Erbaluce on Opentable. From the moment we arrived we were warmly welcomed. The dandelion and radish salad was excellent and the spaghetti with truffles was to die for. The service was informed, friendly and not rushed. And the coffee was hot. The next time we return to Boston, Erbaluce will be high on our list!Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Everything was excellent. The herbs are fresh and the blend of flavor was amazing. A bit pricey so I would recommend for special occasions.Special Features:
- The highlight of our trip to BostonjemanhattanVIPDined on 9/6/2014Had a "girl's" weekend in Boston with a friend from Chicago and a friend from NY--both cities with pretty amazing restaurants that are easy to find. So we were very happy to find Erbaluce, and find a rez available after 10p (we were in town for Boston Calling music fest). The restaurant is pretty...and in a pretty neighborhood close to theater and good hotel...so that's all good. But the food was great and was reasonable. We had the grilled squid, the skate with limas, the burrata salad, and the bucatoni (a decent sampling) and 3 of the wine recommends and everything was wonderfully prepared and delicious. Our server was very willing to discuss pairings and seasoning, and even go to the kitchen to find out more about ingredients. A++Special Features:
- Our go-to for Anniversary DinnerDaisyDDined on 9/6/2014This is our third time celebrating our anniversary at Erbaluce, and it was great, as always. The service is attentive, but they don't rush you through a meal. It's a leisurely pace that is perfect for a special occasion. The food is great; the noise level is not hushed but quiet enough so that you don't need to strain to hear you dinner companion. Most of all, I think we will keep going to Erbaluce because they are consistent. On a special occasion, you don't want to take a risk that the service will be bad and spoil your evening. One thing that did annoy a bit was that once we got the bill and were ready to go, we suddenly couldn't get our waiter's attention. Finally we gave it to a bus-boy and he tracked the waiter down.Special Features:
- Average at BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014There are many better Italian Restaurants in Boston. The greeter/FOH mgr was sitting at the bar with her back to the door doing a crossword. The first 2 wines we ordered that didn't have the correct vintage listed on the menu. 45 min for apps (all salads) & an another 45 min for entrees (3 pastas & a medium rare steak). The Sirloin was poorly butchered (1" on the outside, 3" at the middle, sciatic nerve left in the middle of the sirloin that should have been removed). When we commented to the FOH manager that it had been a very long time waiting on entrees, the chef/owner finally walked out & blamed us for stating we had allergies (scallops & shrimp which weren't in the dishes ordered). All dishes were poorly seasoned. Go elsewhere
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Fabulous service and food. Everything was fresh - we had a great experience!Special Features:
- backbaydinerDined on 8/29/2014the food as usual was delish and the service made the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbCurtVIPDined on 8/28/2014Erbaluce is serving some of the freshest, most exquisitely prepared food anywhere. This is one of Boston's very very best restaurants.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianKishVIPDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food. Nice use of local and organic produce in the dishes. Loved the boar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodagiangregorioDined on 8/27/2014Erbaluce always impresses. With interesting dishes that are unexpected, this restaurant will make your mouth go wow. I love to eat dinner here slowly and truly enjoy all the flavors that are carefully placed in each dish. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Exellent find!VickieDined on 8/23/2014We just happened upon this small, neighbor gem and so glad we did! The food was delicious, unusual but recognizable, and the waitstaff were very attentive throughout the meal. We were told by our server that the menu changes daily according to which fresh veggies and fish are available from local farmers market. Also, we wer told the chef does not use butter or cream and relies on fresh herbs for flavor - unheard of for Italian restaurants! We would definitely go back and recommend to friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.