69 Church Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.erbaluce-boston.com/
- Phone: (617) 426-6969
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Draghi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: erbaluce has several private dining options ranging from two private rooms upstairs for parties of 8 to 22 in the smaller room, and up to 60 in the larger room. Cocktail parties for up to 100 guests. erbaluce is also available to contract larger events encompassing both floors upon request and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl Centeno 6174266969
- Special Events: erbaluce offers regularly scheduled regional Italian wine tastings, farmers' market tastings, and guest chefs. for more information, please sign up for our newsletter on www.erbaluce-boston.com. You can also find us on facebook at erbaluce(boston).
- Public Transit: The nearest T stop is the Arlington Street stop on the Green Line. The restaurant is two blocks away, down Arlington Street toward the South End, on Park Square.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available in a small lot adjacent to erbaluce, as well as many large parking garages surrounding the restaurant, and there is ample street parking available as well.
A word from erbaluce
Charles Draghi and Joan Johnson's highly acclaimed contemporary Italian restaurant and wine bar. With Charles' simple, ever changing menus, rooted in traditional regional Italian cooking,and the best seasonal local ingredients. This restaurant has won numerous awards and kudos from critics, and many dedicated customers. Along side the Italian menus are equally lauded, all Italian wine lists, comprised of rare and traditional village wines. Joan has created the inviting ambiance of erbaluce, which is lovely, simply elegant, and romantic- recalling the classic trattorias of Northern Italy. The enoteca/wine bar is a cozy and lively meeting place, with its own menu of simple plates and a fun cordials cocktail list. Joan's welcoming presence in the dining room, along with Charles' inventive cuisine and rare wine offerings, make an evening at erbaluce a truly wonderful and unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
erbaluce - Best Restaurants in Theater District ›
erbaluce reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (145)neighborhood gem (114)special occasion (96)romantic (87)notable wine list (80)good for groups (18)hot spot (15)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Slow serviceHawkeyeDined on 11/22/2014First negative is the restaurant does not have a full bar. I was in the mood for a martini. Service was very slow between courses (only two - salad and pasta). We were in the restaurant for two hours.
- excellent overallLibbyEaterDined on 11/21/2014Erbaluce was a great find. I took two out-of-town friends there on a Friday night, and it did not disappoint. I especially liked that is was off the tourist path. The restaurant was packed and noise level was a bit loud, but we were still able to have a conversation. Our server did an excellent job explaining the specials. My cavatelle was delicious. I especially loved the razor clam appetizer. I highly recommend Erbaluce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagicalAnonymousVIPDined on 11/21/2014Incredibly good food. Just truly stunning. One of the best chefs anywhere, truly. The service is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014Fantastic food, unique preparations and the wait staff are very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findcherylglVIPDined on 11/15/2014A few weeks ago, we wandered by Erbaluce on our way to the South End. It is tucked away on Church St and we almost walked right by. Its menu was intriguing and when we were meeting friends for dinner last weekend, we suggested Erbaluce. And we're so glad we did. The service was great. Everyone loved their food: from the pumpkin soup (which we all tasted) to the mustard green salad to the sea bass to the wild boar (which 3 of us had). This is a new favorite. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near-Perfect service. Excellent food.BosFoodGuyVIPDined on 11/14/2014We came to Erbaluce serendipitously; we were in the neighborhood and there was availability on OpenTable. We were lucky. The only thing keeping this from being a perfect review was we weren't greeted quickly at our table by our server. Other than that, the service was impeccable. The wait staff anticipated our every need: water glasses filled, plates cleared, table cleaned. They even noticed our parking ticket from the Parking Garage next door and offered the validation without our having to ask and had our coats ready as we approached the door to leave and helped put them on. The food was outstanding, too. Perfectly prepared and seasoned. One other item to mention: the restaurant is on the noisier side, so perhaps not an ideal place for a quiet romantic dinner. The restaurant is a bit tricky to find, but worthy the trouble. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/14/2014Again enjoyed a great meal. It is truffle season and the chef's truffle pasta is as good as it gets. The wine list is excellent and covers the full price range with great choices. We had the black bass and this was also prepared perfectly, moist with subtle innovative flavours. This restaurant is consistently one of the best in Boston and the ambience is perfect, upbeat but quiet enough for easy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/9/2014Great little neighborhood find! Service and food were outstanding! Will definitely return!Special Features:
- incrediblewhyeatathomeDined on 11/8/2014The food in this unpretentious place is unequalled. Put this on your Boston must-go list. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMitziDined on 11/8/2014Although we were few minutes late to our reserved table, we were rushed to leave the restaurant. There were people around us who had been there before us , and there were other tables empty but we were rushed by our server and everyone involved in the sitting and serving us. The food was fair although the lamb was very salty. Last time we were there we sat upstairs and we had a very calm atmosphere and the food was much better.
- BarbaraVIPDined on 11/5/2014Pasta was fabulous. Wait staff knowledgable. Would thoroughly reccommend this restaurant for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAnonVIPDined on 11/5/2014I was visiting Boston and had colleagues joining me for dinner one night, so I picked this restaurant solely based on the Open Table reviews. It deserved those reviews. Service was a little bit slow when I ate their with my colleagues because they were very busy. I liked it so much I went back by myself the following night and ate at the bar even though I don't usually like eating in restaurants by myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBostonFoodCritic6VIPDined on 11/2/2014Some of the most delicious food I have had in Boston! The chef came out personally to the table several times and each dish was prepared meticiuoisly! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FitnessfrouDined on 11/1/2014Food is always unbelievable! Each visit is more exciting than the previous one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous menuRld26VIPDined on 11/1/2014We couldn't decide - the specials were abundant and incredibly appealing. All four of us were thrilled with every bite of every course - an elegant menu and sophisticated chef. Just fabulous food. The only downside was the hostess who was not very friendly and basically forced us into taking a table early under the premise "you might not get a good seat if you wait." (Did you really just say that??!) Not a great first impression but the food won us over. Service was good - server gave us some "space" to enjoy a lengthy and lovely dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemJenniDined on 11/1/2014Erbaluce is a little gem, tucked away in the historic Bay Village neighborhood. The food was beautifully displayed and our server was knowledgeable. I highly recommend this place for a romantic and unique find.Special Features:
- Amazing menu, great food & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/31/2014Initially I wasn't too happy to find out they don't have a liquor license (only beer, wine and infused whiskey type drinks), but that became a non-issue once the food started coming. Unusual and amazing dishes. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionKimSarahDined on 10/31/2014Everything was perfect, the wine list, the menu, the unbelievable specials, and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice for pre-theater mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014We both had the guinea hen with a wine recommended by the excellent waiter. The dish was wonderfully spiced and well-presented. We really enjoyed our visit and will return. We liked the owner's focus on the use of local foods, including local artisanal cheeses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pompous and overpricedme1nyVIPDined on 10/30/2014Since it made the Boston mag top 50 restaurant list we had to try what we had been missing all these years…The highly recommended spaghetti carbonara was really ordinary, much like a peasant low level neighborhood restaurant….very surprising…the house made sausage was tasty but nothing special. Rabbit dish very expensive, and just OK..Italian wine list was extensive though expensive. Not sure what all the fuss was about…We had early reservations prior to the theater on a weekday evening so not that busy but had to call our waiter over several times…initially he forgot one person's entree completely…Save your money
- Quiet meal, fine food and wineLiveWellDined on 10/30/2014I've eaten dinner twice here and each time enjoyed a delicious dinner and friendly, personal service. It's the kind of place where you feel a bit like a friend welcomed back. The food is satisfying with seasonal and local features -- food and a cooking style I personally like. (Thank you, Chef.) This time I had a locally raised shrimp appetizer, which was deliciously grilled or pan-cooked (?) and tasted salty and spicy. My main course was pork cheeks, cooked in a rich red broth that included just the right amount of chopped greens to balance any heaviness. I couldn't resist the panna cotta-- light enough and very creamy. When done, we were offered a small taste of chocolate and berries -- an unexpected treat.Special Features:
- AmazingAnonymousVIPDined on 10/29/2014The bay scallop crudo app was the best scallop dish I have ever had. The red cod entree was beautiful, probably the best cod I've had (the famous black cod at Nobu is a second). Beautiful food and wine, wonderful people running the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive Italian in Cozy SpotAlexvRVIPDined on 10/23/2014I wish I'd had a better day before making erbaluce. Due to travel delays I ended up eating much faster and later than I would have liked. That was a negative beyond the restaurants control. I very much enjoyed the food and menu. it was inventive and well prepared. While I liked the ambition the taste did not blow me away. Very good without a doubt but just that. This was a business dinner and it was ok for that but the cozy environment would be much better for couples or friends and family. The restaurant is reasonably priced for the quality but not cheap. An all around excellent spot and one I hope I have the chance to try again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/23/2014This was my 2nd time dining at Erbaluce. It is a lovely restaurant and bar tucked off Stuart St. Our server, Robert,was very attentive to our need to make a show that evening. He advised us well and paced our meal without rushing us. The food is very good and presented beautifully. Many wines are offered by the glass and there is a specialty cocktail menu. The menu is varied and creative, without being overwhelming. We each enjoyed a first course and a pasta dish. A dish of sweets was offered to us as a wonderful compliment to a great meal. Next visit I hope to have alittle more time to sample a second course!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just...wowAnonymousVIPDined on 10/22/2014The guinea hen and tautog seafood entrees were spectacular. My friend swooned over her scallop app. A shared poached pear stuffed with mascarpone and topped with just enough caramel (not too sweet) was the best autumn dessert I have ever had (and I'm not a dessert person). Service was attentive, fun, and personalized as always. They run a beautiful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and wine!aggiemary04Dined on 10/18/2014Went during the Head of the Charles weekend and was desperate to find someplace that took reservations. I found this place on my Open Table app and am so happy we got in! The food and wine were amazing.Special Features:
- Wonderful diningplateitupDined on 10/18/2014We were so glad we found this great spot. Easy parking on Stuart Street in front of the restaurant. The staff are attentive and friendly, and for once, actually know the proper way to serve and clear a table. We never felt rushed and the timing for each course was just right. The food was wonderfully different and combined great flavors. The only down side was that they don't have a liquor license, but that's the only negative we found.Special Features:
- Boston goodieBestofBirminghamDined on 10/18/2014We had a delightful experience. Food and service were excellent!Special Features:
- Lovely experience until the end...thegusterDined on 10/18/2014We had a family dinner here celebrating a birthday. The restaurant had an elegant but understated atmosphere, worthy of a special occasion. Our waiter was terrific and patient, from recommending a place to park to explaining the menu and recommending wines, and also was a great sport about taking photos for us. The menu was full of interesting and thoughtful choices, and the food was outstanding. However, we received an odd and somewhat condescending comment from a hostess (we think) when one of us (the birthday girl) struggled with opening the door on the way out: "All doors in the United States open out." The comment was neither helpful nor called for. It put a real damper on an otherwise lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellenthard2plzDined on 10/17/2014A superb restaurant for special occasions. We were fortunate to be seated upstairs which is better suited for quiet conversation (on a Friday night). Staff are superb, very knowledgeable in their recommendations, and the food has just the right balance of novelty and creativity with old favorites.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Quiet & CivilizedSheldonDined on 10/16/2014They serve classic Italian cuisine done the way I have had it in excellent restaurants in Italy. The Bolognese sauce was perfect. The flounder dish after that was also excellent. Creative plates (or at least new to us) included a sunflower dish; it was also excellent. Wine list is all Italian, and first-rate, with a good range of prices, for those who don't want to spend top dollar. We were able to sit and talk to an old friend for hours--no noise, discreet service.Special Features:
- Good Food, Atmosphere and ServicetippyDined on 10/15/2014The waiter was helpful when choosing wines. Our appetizers were good. Sunflowers with an amazing sauce & salad. The entrees, were a little disappointing. The stuffed pasta w/ herbs and riccotta was not cooked enough. It was like cardboard, though the filling was tasty. The boar was kind of tough. But other dishes are probably better and we got dishes that were not given much attention when we were there. They were busy that night. Fresh herbs used generously on every dish to a point of being redundant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an off-night for a great restaurantMikeSVIPDined on 10/15/2014This is a restaurant that we always love, but our dinner last night reminded me that pastas are what we should stick to here. We had a 6 PM table on a Wednesday night, and every table was full. Our waiter had too many tables to tend to, and the service was slow; the "bus-staff" were excellent and patrolled constantly. My pork cheeks and my wife's fish entrees were forgettable, unfortunately, although each dish had wonderful accompanying vegetables and sauces. I love the wine choices by the glass here. We will be back -- but next time, pastas for the main course!Special Features:
- Charming and uniquehardtoplease4636Dined on 10/12/2014First time here (my husband had been in once with a couple of his buddies), and I loved this sweet spot. Nate, the bartender, couldn't have been more pleasant and accommodating, suggesting food choices and wine. Everything was fabulous! Only one glitch.....I had the pork cheeks which were outstanding, but when they were served to me, they were only lukewarm. Highly recommended.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night specialJenPDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I were looking for a new spot for a special anniversary dinner pre-show this past weekend. I searched Open table, read some reviews & then made reservations. We were not disappointed. Everything was delicious. Our server was friendly & had wonderful suggestions for food as well as wine pairings. The restaurant decor is very simple, white walls, white table cloths & settings & "mood lighting". We had tickets for a 7:30pm & our reservation was for 5pm. We were expecting a leisurely meal, but we just made it to our show on time with the 5 pm reservation. It was well worth it, but that's just a note for planning ahead. My husband also suggested that this would be a great place for dinner after a matinee. I wholeheartedly concur.Special Features:
- eatsDined on 10/9/2014Fabulous from start to finish. One of the finest meals we've ever had and we've been to dozens of top rated restaurants. Every detail was impecable. The food was superb and the personal attention by the staff, managment and owners was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Every TimecindyeoVIPDined on 10/7/2014Excellent innovative food, prompt service, peace and quiet (which is becoming rare in restaurants), but the restaurant is always full of people, so it's not dull. One of our favoritesSpecial Features:
- Exceptional, Inventive Dining!!...IndaknowVIPDined on 10/5/2014Highly, highly recommended! A real, personalized touch from the owners, a rare and exceptional approach to creative dishes beautifully prepared and presented ::: Italian but of a form and style rarely seen, we were completely blown away and loved, loved, loved it!... Erbaluce would rate a "12" on the 1-10 scale if they would only improve as soon as possible the very insufficient and poor interior lighting. The kitchen works hard to make beautiful presentations, we noticed others struggling to see what was composed on their plates...I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian for special occasionbeanosbeantownDined on 10/3/2014great service. great food with menu that changes almost daily and a long list of specials. liked the fact that most entrees are cooked with no butter and cream. pricey though ($30/entree) so is fit for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- Want to go back soon!DrBamDined on 10/3/2014The menu at erbaluce is interesting and offers enough unusual items that I want to go back and try them all: razor clams, pork cheeks, boar, sunflowers... The chef uses local ingredients and does not use butter or cream- this and the Italian-style way of cooking makes the food fresh, clean and delicious. The service was excellent- you feel as well taken care of as you would in a much more fancy/expensive establishment. The wine list is interesting and the server was very helpful in guiding our wish to try something new. Easy walk to the theatre district, and they are used to pre-show diners so they help you get out in time. No negatives at all. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.