69 Church Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.erbaluce-boston.com/
- Phone: 6174266969
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Charles Draghi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: erbaluce has several private dining options ranging from two private rooms upstairs for parties of 8 to 22 in the smaller room, and up to 60 in the larger room. Cocktail parties for up to 100 guests. erbaluce is also available to contract larger events encompassing both floors upon request and availability.
- Private Party Contact: Cheryl Centeno 6174266969
- Special Events: erbaluce offers regularly scheduled regional Italian wine tastings, farmers' market tastings, and guest chefs. for more information, please sign up for our newsletter on www.erbaluce-boston.com. You can also find us on facebook at erbaluce(boston).
- Public Transit: The nearest T stop is the Arlington Street stop on the Green Line. The restaurant is two blocks away, down Arlington Street toward the South End, on Park Square.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is parking available in a small lot adjacent to erbaluce, as well as many large parking garages surrounding the restaurant, and there is ample street parking available as well.
A word from erbaluce
Charles Draghi and Joan Johnson's highly acclaimed contemporary Italian restaurant and wine bar. With Charles' simple, ever changing menus, rooted in traditional regional Italian cooking,and the best seasonal local ingredients. This restaurant has won numerous awards and kudos from critics, and many dedicated customers. Along side the Italian menus are equally lauded, all Italian wine lists, comprised of rare and traditional village wines. Joan has created the inviting ambiance of erbaluce, which is lovely, simply elegant, and romantic- recalling the classic trattorias of Northern Italy. The enoteca/wine bar is a cozy and lively meeting place, with its own menu of simple plates and a fun cordials cocktail list. Joan's welcoming presence in the dining room, along with Charles' inventive cuisine and rare wine offerings, make an evening at erbaluce a truly wonderful and unique dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
erbaluce reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)neighborhood gem (100)romantic (89)special occasion (86)notable wine list (65)good for groups (19)late-night find (9)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- I loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014Everything about the dining experience was good. The food was fresh and exciting. We had truffle pasta that was perfectly presented and cooked. It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Anniversary specialTomtomDined on 9/28/2014Had our 40th anniversary dinner here and had a most wonderful experience. Courteous staff, excellent food, lovely ambience. A South End restaurant just not in the South End. The chef was very engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Gem Outside the North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Our food was delicious! We started with the sunflower appetizer as well as a special scallop appetizer. The sunflower was surprisingly good. The flavor was similar to eggplant, while the texture reminded me of an artichoke. For our entrees we had the braised pork cheek and the rack of wild boar. I asked our server to recommend a wine to go with the boar and it was spot on. We split the chocolate budino for dessert, which was very rich but paired very well with my wine. At the end if our meal the hostess brought us a plate of complimentary truffles and meringues.Special Features:
- Excellent service+ allergy friendlyIloveeatingVIPDined on 9/27/2014Our waiter was amazing. He knew so much and explained all the words we didn't know without us even having to ask. He recommended an amazing bottle of wine in our price range. He handled the food allergy at the table without a problem (as did the kitchen) and made us feel comfortable. And the food, as always, was creative and excellent.Special Features:
- Caring chef and stafflafoodloverVIPDined on 9/25/2014Everyone cares so much about the food - the chef came by twice and the staff gave us great wine pairing recommendations. A special place.Special Features:
- UniqueDavidDined on 9/25/2014Different take on Italian food. Wild boar was excellent. Steak cooked very well.Special Features:
- Amazing food with great thoughtBobygeorgeDined on 9/21/2014Extremely well thought out daily menu with good wine list. Food combinations I would not usual think to pair up but they worked effortlessly. Price very reasonable as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greatest restaraunt EVERBunnyDined on 9/21/2014Ok ALL restaraunts should be like Erbaluce ! I don't mean they should have the same food, but the incredible care and thought with which Chef Charles designs and prepares his menu is just amazing.There is no cream and no butter in any of the dishes so you can eat more and taste the freshness and flavor of each food.The homemade pastas are always the right texture and innovative ,yet down home satisfying !Fish is cooked like you have never experienced it.Would you ever think a grilled sunflower could be a great appetizer? OMG ITS DELICIOUS! The chef and his staff are dedicated to their food and patrons! It's such a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014My fiancé and I had a fantastic time! Everything was absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underperformsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014Noisy; people at other tables raised their voices to be heard and the waiter had to lean in so I could hear him. Service was slow; about 45 min between seating and appetizer arriving at table. Food was not consistently well executed as would have expected for fine dining: spaghetti was softer than al dente, roasted potatoes were undercooked and not soft inside with crisp exterior. There are other places Boston with better food at a similar price that I would recommend
- As good as advertisedgeofreywyattDined on 9/18/2014I had high expectations after reading the press that were shattered by the even better experience I had up-close and personal!Food was transcendent. Noise was ear-shattering. Wine list eclectic, fair and varied (throughout Italy). Breadsticks rival the best I have ever had. Could I please have the recipe? An over-the-top dining experience. Only thing less than great was the service, which was so harried by the crowd that it took a long, long, long time to order and get our food. Nevertheless, the food itself was so good it made the service issues all but disappear.Special Features:
- Delivers as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/18/2014One of my fav restaurants in Boston. Food is amazing. This time the kitchen was probably understaffed so we had to wait long for our entrees, but my friends absolutely loved the food! Staff is very nice. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vera cucina moderna italianaPantaiulikDined on 9/17/2014This is the only place in Boston where I've eaten a real italian meal. The chef knows what he is doing and don't look for compromises and easy tricks. The true Italian cuisine is simple and light. Don't expect strong flavors that mute the savy armony of the ingredients. The balanced mixture of details is all. They don't serve american-italian food at all. And they are very nice. If you don't eat your pasta because you don't like it, they won't charge you that pasta. And when they are so busy that your entrèe comes five minutes later, they will recompensate you with a free dessert. Did I say that they make superb desserts?Special Features:
- Outstanding in every categorybreakfastloverVIPDined on 9/14/2014My husband and I were visting Boston and found Erbaluce on Opentable. From the moment we arrived we were warmly welcomed. The dandelion and radish salad was excellent and the spaghetti with truffles was to die for. The service was informed, friendly and not rushed. And the coffee was hot. The next time we return to Boston, Erbaluce will be high on our list!Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Everything was excellent. The herbs are fresh and the blend of flavor was amazing. A bit pricey so I would recommend for special occasions.Special Features:
- The highlight of our trip to BostonjemanhattanVIPDined on 9/6/2014Had a "girl's" weekend in Boston with a friend from Chicago and a friend from NY--both cities with pretty amazing restaurants that are easy to find. So we were very happy to find Erbaluce, and find a rez available after 10p (we were in town for Boston Calling music fest). The restaurant is pretty...and in a pretty neighborhood close to theater and good hotel...so that's all good. But the food was great and was reasonable. We had the grilled squid, the skate with limas, the burrata salad, and the bucatoni (a decent sampling) and 3 of the wine recommends and everything was wonderfully prepared and delicious. Our server was very willing to discuss pairings and seasoning, and even go to the kitchen to find out more about ingredients. A++Special Features:
- Our go-to for Anniversary DinnerDaisyDDined on 9/6/2014This is our third time celebrating our anniversary at Erbaluce, and it was great, as always. The service is attentive, but they don't rush you through a meal. It's a leisurely pace that is perfect for a special occasion. The food is great; the noise level is not hushed but quiet enough so that you don't need to strain to hear you dinner companion. Most of all, I think we will keep going to Erbaluce because they are consistent. On a special occasion, you don't want to take a risk that the service will be bad and spoil your evening. One thing that did annoy a bit was that once we got the bill and were ready to go, we suddenly couldn't get our waiter's attention. Finally we gave it to a bus-boy and he tracked the waiter down.Special Features:
- Average at BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014There are many better Italian Restaurants in Boston. The greeter/FOH mgr was sitting at the bar with her back to the door doing a crossword. The first 2 wines we ordered that didn't have the correct vintage listed on the menu. 45 min for apps (all salads) & an another 45 min for entrees (3 pastas & a medium rare steak). The Sirloin was poorly butchered (1" on the outside, 3" at the middle, sciatic nerve left in the middle of the sirloin that should have been removed). When we commented to the FOH manager that it had been a very long time waiting on entrees, the chef/owner finally walked out & blamed us for stating we had allergies (scallops & shrimp which weren't in the dishes ordered). All dishes were poorly seasoned. Go elsewhere
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014Fabulous service and food. Everything was fresh - we had a great experience!Special Features:
- backbaydinerDined on 8/29/2014the food as usual was delish and the service made the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbCurtVIPDined on 8/28/2014Erbaluce is serving some of the freshest, most exquisitely prepared food anywhere. This is one of Boston's very very best restaurants.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianKishDined on 8/27/2014Excellent food. Nice use of local and organic produce in the dishes. Loved the boar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodagiangregorioDined on 8/27/2014Erbaluce always impresses. With interesting dishes that are unexpected, this restaurant will make your mouth go wow. I love to eat dinner here slowly and truly enjoy all the flavors that are carefully placed in each dish. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Exellent find!VickieDined on 8/23/2014We just happened upon this small, neighbor gem and so glad we did! The food was delicious, unusual but recognizable, and the waitstaff were very attentive throughout the meal. We were told by our server that the menu changes daily according to which fresh veggies and fish are available from local farmers market. Also, we wer told the chef does not use butter or cream and relies on fresh herbs for flavor - unheard of for Italian restaurants! We would definitely go back and recommend to friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!ILoveTrufflesVIPDined on 8/19/2014Neighborhood gem, great fresh delicious food, reasonable prices for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a GemNancyRVIPDined on 8/17/2014This neighborhood restaurant is both creative and delicious. All items are perfectly prepared and presented. Love it.Special Features:
- excellent restaurant !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent restaurant, with innovative menu. Great service and great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreSeeargyDined on 8/15/2014Nothing special. Kind of felt like I was eating in a converted rec room. Good carbonara thoughSpecial Features:
- amazing!!LArtusifanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Great food and service! Very welcoming environment and amazing carbonara with duck egg yolk!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food marred by bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was good and fresh as expected. Waitress was too inexperienced to provide adequate descriptions of preparations or guidance on wine recommendations. Based on her failure to read signals from placement of flatware and inconsistent timing of wine to course, she had inadequate experiencd in fine dining. First course took 45 mins to arrive. It was a salad. Requested wine pairings sometimes came well after course was presented. Delay of 20 mins between clearing of last course and presentation of bill.Special Features:
- Some highs and lowsFoodies4VIPDined on 8/9/2014We have a very good meal here but there were some inconsistencies. The Heirloom tomato and burrata appetizer with walnuts and a balsamic reduction was one of the best caprese type salads I have had. In contrast, the Agnolotti pasta was served in a green garlic herb sauce that had a very off-putting flavor. The other two meals were good but nothing else really stood out.Special Features:
- California lady splurges with kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014I brought my cash-strapped MIT boy and his friend to this restaurant after seeing the Blue Man concert on a Friday night. I was able to get a table easily. This is a high end place. We are not high end foodies. But they were not snobbish toward me or my underdressed company. Each bite was a surprise to our palates. We has a sunflower appetizer. It was beautifully presented but the flower itself was a little drab. I think it needed a sauce or something to brighten it had. I had the bass which was scrumptious and the kids had steak which they savored. . The wine was beautifully paired. It was pricey but worth it. We will not forget this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked AwayPopePepeDined on 8/8/2014My girlfriend and I ate what was possibly the best dinner we'd had in a long time here. The setting was wonderful, the food was a revelation. From the braised sunflowers to the chef selected cheese tray, this restaurant makes great use of classic recipes, update to modern farm to table organic presentations. A great and knowledgeable staff rounds out this great experience. This is one place worth seeking out.Special Features:
- Delicious food!JB86Dined on 8/8/2014We had an overall great experience! The food was delicious, my friends and I all cleaned our plates. The only thing that would be an improvement on the experience -- please change the menu font! It is incredibly difficult to read, especially if you aren't overly familiar with Italian cuisine. I couldn't even read the cocktail menu well (same cursive font).Special Features:
- Where is the chef?JuneDined on 8/8/2014We made later reservations for 5:30PM due to the chef out shopping at the farmers market the last dinner we had here. So this time no chef until about 6:15PM due to he is shopping at the farmers market????? This chef makes the best gluten-free chick pea bread which was available. But early diners loose out because the chef is not there because he is shopping.Special Features:
- sagetaDined on 8/7/2014awesome restaurant, great food and great environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to find but worth it!EpicuriousVIPDined on 8/6/2014We were here once before (a year plus) and had a fabulous meal. Second time was also a charm! The menu is eclectic but very fresh and very local. I had a steak that was incredible. My wife had wonderful bluefish. Our friend had pasta carbonara ( he liked it but didn't share...) Salads before meals were very fresh and different. Alcohol is a bit of a problem if you want hard liquor ( infused only) but a big wine selection. Staff was a little full of playful banter but very knowledgeable as well. Park in the Revere Hotel Parking lot (Old Radisson) They validate.Special Features:
- PhenomenalDanielaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Godly good, fresh Italian food. Chef came to our table and talked to us about his garden. There is nothing more I expect from a dining experience.Special Features:
- Erbaluce - best Boston restaurantDonnaMedfordDined on 8/1/2014We started going to Erbaluce about 5 years ago prior to seeing the Shakespeare on the Common every July/August. What started as an annual tradition turned into going there 4-5 times a year as we just kept wanting to keep having these great meals, creative and perfectly prepared. We started going to Erbaluce for birthdays and with friends from out of town, to treat them to what we feel is Boston's best restaurant. The wait staff are all superb, extremely helpful in helping us navigate the extensive wine list - not to tell us what to order, but to guide us based on our palettes and the character of the selected meal. We can't recommend Erbaluce highly enough.Special Features:
- a little to loud for my tasteCheakyVIPDined on 7/31/2014it took over an hour before our first course arrived. We looked around the room and no one had food in front of them. It seemed rather odd since everyone did not show up at the same time. Dinner lasted 3 1/2 hours and it was not because we were slow eaters. Food was slightly overseasoned and descriptions were unclear. It was our first time at the restaurant and not sure I will give it a second try.Special Features: