Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
101 Fountaingrove Parkway
Santa Rosa, CA 95403Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fountaingroveinn.com/equus.html
- Phone: 7075780149x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Doug Mahoney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On-site Catering offering creative custom menus
- Private Party Facilities: Available for 7 people or more.
- Private Party Contact: Travis McDowell 7075780149x
- Special Events: Equus Restaurant has two very popular happy hours...Monday-Friday, 4:30pm-6:30pm with $3, $4 and $5 appetizers.
A word from Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
Equus Restaurant and Loungebar offers a warm and inviting dining experience. Executive Chef Doug Mahoney presents a Mediterranean menu, which highlights fresh, local ingredients.Continued
Table Side Classic Caesar Salad (2 person minimum)
Table Side Classic Caesar Salad (2 person minimum)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (5)special occasion (5)good for groups (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- none of the above applyfigfeb1Dined on 9/11/2014terrible service. I will never go back. waited 35 for a waiter, another 25 for drinks to arrive. Receptionist could not tell me after asking X 3 if tip was inculded in a group of 10. We tolkd them a group of 10, but only 9 place settings when we arrive. Waiter was rude and dismissive. Again, cold day in ... will i go back.
- 30th CelebrationFinedineandwineDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I dined here to celebrate or 30th anniversary. The experience made our evening special. The attention by our server was professional, timely, and pleasant. He created an atmosphere which made us feel as if we had the room to ourselves.Special Features:
- Booth Seats Too Low.BoothseatsDined on 6/4/2014The booth we sat in was uncomfortable. The booth seats were far too low than the table. I am 6.2 and I felt like a 10 year old setting at the table. The table was too high for the level of the seat. The outside chairs were just right for the table but not the booth seats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 295 reviews are from the Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn reviews archive.
- Great Dining ExperienceAmberDudeDined on 4/16/2014The food was excellent,best Caesar salad ever!!!!!Everything about the service was top notch the waitress was VERY attentive and efficient!!I would have given the service a 5 star rating except the drinks and refills (we're non-drinkers) so just soft drinks had to go thru a busy bar??Always took way to long to have those requests filled... I would highly recommend this to a friend having a special occasion!!Special Features:
- Calamari very doughymechllyDined on 4/2/2014The Calamari was doughy inside the larger pieces. The mushroom Ravioli plate was way too salty. The lamb pops were undercooked not medium rare. The beet salad and ambience good. Would not eat here again.
- This restaurant is very convenientSonomaGirlVIPDined on 4/1/2014This restaurant is very convenient when attending a performance at the Wells Fargo Center for the Arts. The food is consistently good although not exciting and inspired. The new room renovation has left the space a bit cold and stark for my taste. Gone are all but two of the private banquettes that were part of the romantic charm of the restaurant. A shame given the now extreme minimalist environment.Special Features:
- There were only three tablesHAPPYHUNGRYCOUPLEDined on 3/26/2014There were only three tables with people and the service was slow and spotty although when they came around they were friendly.
- Good food but...DonaUVIPDined on 1/24/2014Good food but service was off and atmosphere was strange. Strange set up of tables and room for a restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So slow...JP44Dined on 1/24/2014Didn't even get our order taken until we had been sitting 38 minutes, and we were the only ones seated in the dining room! 2 hour dinner and the server visited a total of 3 times. Awful.Special Features:
- The salads were quite good.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2014The salads were quite good. The dish I had, a "small plate" that was described as "Braised Beef Wellington" was fair at best. The server seemed somewhat distracted, as though her real business was elsewhere. Our table, which had no tablecloth, had many drink rings and scuffs on its surface, which seemed like a misstep for a restaurant charging as much as $30 for an entree.
- HorribleecavalloDined on 1/18/2014We had crab cakes that were ove seasoned. The Beef Wellington had a huge piece of fat in it.
- We'll be backaprilDined on 1/12/2014Everyone at our table thought the food was delicious. The large plates are very generous -- most of our group took home leftovers. If you have a light appetite, a small plate would work as a small entree. Our waiter was excellent at answering our questions regarding ingredients or the amount of food on a plate. We especially enjoyed the crab cakes, lamb pops, and vegetable risotto. The least impressive dishes were the salads. Both the house salad and the beet salad were OK, but not wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great B'day DinnerAmberDudeDined on 1/10/2014Had a 5 topper with family members for my brother's B'day. The service was really great we felt well cared for all night.The appetizers were exceptional.I would have given the food an outstanding or great but the entrees lacked a bit. 3 of the 5 of us ordered the filet mignon and I found the portions small for the entree price.That was passable but the sauce on the filet as well as the flavor of the meat was bland and didn't hold it's own compared to the appetizers. I've eaten there before and had ordered the filet,my experience in the past was the filet had more flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avery nice place for dinner....beenOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/6/2014Avery nice place for dinner....been there many times (and a 1000 pts.!)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Christmas MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2013We had our Christmas dinner at Equus and the food was very good, great service ... an overall pleasure. I'm sorry the staff had to work on Christmas, but they did a wonderful job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS GOOD FOOD AND SERVICE.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/23/2013ALWAYS GOOD FOOD AND SERVICE. WE ENJOY DINING HERE.
- Would not go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/3/2013Atmosphere has changed drastically since I was there years (6?) ago. Lost its warm and inviting ambiance. Odd remodel. Service was lacking in many details. Food was fairly good. Would not go back.
- ThanksgivingNoCADined on 11/28/2013With few family members around, we went out for Thanksgiving with friends. The buffet worked great as we all tried some dishes that are not the norm at our Thanksgiving dinner at home. The food was good, and it was a quiet peaceful setting, all appropriate for the day of thanks.Special Features:
- No thanks for thanksgiving buffetDinersrusDined on 11/28/2013This restaurant was such a huge let down. We walked into hostesses that took 5 minutes deciding what table we should sit at when I had reservations. Shouldn't they have had that decided?? We sat down at a sticky table that had to be recleaned right there in front of us. It took ten minutes to get our drinks from a waitress we saw maybe three times the whole meal. When we walked over to the buffet the plates were sticky as well and we had to wait for new plates to be brought out. Bad lighting at the buffet. The food was decent, but how can you go too wrong with typical thanksgiving fare. It ended with an enormous bill that INCLUDED a 20% tip that the waitress in no way earned. Overall, hugely disappointed and will never return.
- thanksgiving surpriseholidaydinerDined on 11/28/2013what a nice thanksgiving dinner we enjoyed this year. the service was wonderful. all the servers worked together as a great team to ensure mealtime at our booth was a relaxing enjoyable intimate dinner for two lovebirds. the variety of side dishes complemented a beautiful moist turkey. we look forward to returning for a future holiday meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksiving Dinner for 6DiaabloDined on 11/28/2013We were seated promplly. For Thanksgiving, the style was buffet, but we were not told that. Instead a hostess handed us a menu. and walked off. We did not know where to go, when to go, etc. A brief explanation would have been very helpful. Before being seated we could see that the sun would be shining into our faces at the table, and when we asked to move, we were told no, every table is reserved. However there was an entire section unoccupied, and was still unoccupied when we left. The person was on the curt side when she told us no. That started us out with a negative impression, but the others made ujp for that person, and overall I would rate this experience a B-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost It's FocusBirdcallsVIPDined on 11/9/2013We have been going to Equus for many years. It used to be a warm clubby comfortable classy restaurant (albeit a bit dark and a bit expensive). Now it is brighter, sterile, noisy, and the food has become mediocre at best. Being attached to the very fine Fountaingrove Inn Equus has a captive clientele, but, to us residents of Sonoma County there are just too many outstanding restaurants nearby to choose over this one.
- Disappointingkendo2002VIPDined on 10/30/2013Chosen based on past great experiences. This dining experience was DISAPPOINTING from the moment I arrived. My guest for lunch arrived prior to me, was told there was no reservation in my name and was standing outside upon my arrival 5 minutes hence. service was slow, we had two salads (which were tasty), beverages went dry. dropped off bill after long wait. disappointed not certain if will return.
- nice place before theaterjjgoogsDined on 10/25/2013We had an early seating before event at wells Fargo arts center. Staffunderstood the timing for our event and made sure we were served with plenty of time so we were not rushed .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprised amd very pleasedoccidentalDined on 9/28/2013A group of 4 of us ate there for an early dinner before a Wells Fargo Center show. Usual restaurant was already booked so we chose Equus as a runner-up. We were all surprised and very happy with our meals. The food was excellent. Two people had the beet salads which they loved, I had the Moroccan Lamb which was maybe the best lamb I have ever had - cooked between rare and med rare with the best flavor. We all enjoyed the calamari as well. I had the special fish entree and it was on the rare side, nice and moist with great polenta under it. Shrimp carbonara was great and others like their beef wellington and regular lamb. Too full for dessert and we had to hurry off to the show. Service was good, but a bit casual for such a great meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it once wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2013We went there for our anniversary. The servers were very good. My husband ordered lamb chops and he said they were good. I ordered the filet, medium rare and it was rather tough and closer to medium raw. The carrots and asparagus were good, but nothing outstanding. The potato side dishes were awful. The restaurant is obviously having financial problems. It's too bad, because it once was much better. Overall the experience was disappointing.
- no complaintsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2013We went here for our 5-year anniversary, and they even comped one of the desserts as a result!Special Features:
- Not what it was billedMaryMikeScottDined on 7/30/2013We went to Equus because of the nice ratings on open table. We checked out their website and decided to on chicken and waffle night. We got there to find that the web page had not been updated in months. We stayed despite my misgivings. We had the lamb pop and beef Wellington starters. Flavors were good. The lobster Bolognese was rich and full of lobster. Wine list limited, but good. The action and good food was in the bar that night. Check out their specials before being seated in the restaurant. The locals were having a great time.
- Great MealnwoodsDined on 7/13/2013I've been her before but the food was exceptional. I had the beet salad and ravioli. the Mac and Cheese was the best I have ever had. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Very Good!we2lovefoodDined on 7/12/2013Overall our dining experience was very good. The service was outstanding, the small plates & wine list were excellent, and the atmosphere was very good, but the filet mignon large plate that I ordered needs improvement.Special Features:
- Equus: ServiceDoesn't Equal FoodSueNDined on 6/19/2013Our experience at Equus was a mixed bag. On the positive side, the restaurant was very nice inside, the food was displayed well and the taste of the food was above average. However, all of this goodness was negated by extremely poor service. Our food was staggered at odd intervals, often leaving a long period of time between courses. When we asked for our bill, it took 15 minutes to receive it. The busy boy was very attentive; however, our key waiter was nowhere to be found. Overall, our dinner lasted nearly two-and-a-half hours. This may be fine if you want to participate in slow dining, but that was not our plan after a long and busy day in the Sonoma valley.
- Just Right for the OccassionFountaingroveResidentDined on 6/1/2013We needed a place to catch a light dinner before going to a concert at the Healdsburg Jazz Festival. The Equus was right on the way and had a menu that answered our needs. So, we got there about 5:30PM and were out of there by 6:30. The wine list was good and so was the menu. We live in the neighborhood and will probably go back...it's a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Order Your Wine o an iPadsandyVIPDined on 5/23/2013Equus is a convenient restaurant in Santa Rosa, that has an upscale clubby feel to it. the menu is a curious mix of burgers & more interesting items along with a pricey wine list that you can order from an iPad. I had the wild mushroom risotto which actually had trumpet mushrooms (not crimini) that gave it a lovely smokey flavor but the rice was a bit soggy. My husband had shrimp carbonara. The shrimp was not overcooked (YAAAA) but the pasta was boring...so this place is definitely a mix of good & so-so. Service good. We came back for house wine in the bar after our concert & had to spring for $25 for 2 glasses........hmmmm. Your call, but if you are staying at the Fountain Grove, it is much better than Nectar up the hill at the Hilton.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodmrminguiDined on 5/12/2013The food was very good and the service, even better! Wonderful place for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were there on Prom Night.travel2dineVIPDined on 4/27/2013We were there on Prom Night. Lots of teens in formal attire. Good selection of dishes and ingredients. Service was fine. We were looking for a low risk dining venue on our first night in town and we found it at Equus. No disappoinemts and we left in a great mood .Special Features:
- Food & Service just so so.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2013Food & Service just so so. I had in the past their Ceasar Salad for Two...no longer available. I ordered a mushroom risotto, & it was really just OK. I will not go back to this restaurant. Service was also very slow.
- Slow service but very nice.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/30/2013Slow service but very nice. Appetizers are great but main entrees weren't the quality you expect when you are paying 30 per plate for prime rib and filet. Quality if prime rib not good... Chewy. Filet was more like a sirloin. Would go back for drinks and appetizers and skip main entrees next time.
- Really liked the food. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2013Really liked the food. They had small plates that were dellicious.
- Mid-level meal, Low level serviceotterVIPDined on 3/22/2013We had an ok meal, nothing special. The service bothered me though. When I asked the waiter to describe a wine I was unfamiliar with instead he countered with "What do you want?" and never did describe the wine I was inquiring about. When he served my dinner the chop slid off the plate and I had to catch it to keep it out of my lap. That would not have bothered me as anyone can make an error. What really irritated me was that several seconds went by and then he said "Sorry 'bout that". It was very flippant and not at all sincere. When he brought the check (and it was close to tipping time) I finally got an actual apology. I think if Equus is aiming to be a high end restaurant for Santa Rosa they need to up their game in all areas.
- We ordered a drink in thekkeeVIPDined on 3/17/2013We ordered a drink in the bar and the bartender left after the cocktail waitress placed the order. We went to the hostess to be seated and were told to wait, despite an almost empty restaurant. The cocktail waitress later brought our drinks to us, some 20 minutes after ordering them. The bar was also very empty. How tough can it be to make two drinks? This is a hotel and the food is very much hotel food.