Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
101 Fountaingrove Parkway
Santa Rosa, CA 95403Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fountaingroveinn.com/equus.html
- Phone: (707) 578-0149
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Doug Mahoney
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On-site Catering offering creative custom menus
- Private Party Facilities: Available for 7 people or more.
- Private Party Contact: Travis McDowell 7075780149x
- Special Events: Equus Restaurant has two very popular happy hours...Monday-Friday, 4:30pm-6:30pm with $3, $4 and $5 appetizers.
A word from Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn
Equus Restaurant and Loungebar offers a warm and inviting dining experience. Executive Chef Doug Mahoney presents a Mediterranean menu, which highlights fresh, local ingredients.Continued
Table Side Classic Caesar Salad (2 person minimum)
Table Side Classic Caesar Salad (2 person minimum)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Equus at the Fountain Grove Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (4)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- We ordered a drink in thekkeeVIPDined on 3/17/2013We ordered a drink in the bar and the bartender left after the cocktail waitress placed the order. We went to the hostess to be seated and were told to wait, despite an almost empty restaurant. The cocktail waitress later brought our drinks to us, some 20 minutes after ordering them. The bar was also very empty. How tough can it be to make two drinks? This is a hotel and the food is very much hotel food.
- Service great, attentive bySlumpoDined on 3/15/2013Service great, attentive by waitstaff and bus staff. Food, just ok - prime rib med rare was medium and mashed potatoes very lumpy. House salad excellent
- If only like the picture!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013I'm not impressed, I think AppleCreek in Guerneville is better. And you don't look out at an intersection, just the place itself is better looking inside then Equus. I expected a lot more from this place, I've heard things about it for years. Not the food, but what kind of bar scene it has. So when groupon offered this deal I decided to try it for my daughter and I for her birthday. We both were most interested in the Beet salad, lets just say its nothing like its picture. It was just 2 different kinds of beets, with a pile of arugula and a few nuts and barely any dressing I could taste. Not like the picture! You get decent portions, but not the greatest in taste. Our waitress was very nice, we won't be back. Sorry
- Very attentive wait staff.DianeVIPDined on 3/8/2013Very attentive wait staff. Food prepared well, presented beautifully, tasted delicious. A delightful evening.Special Features:
- Dinner offers were limited.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013Dinner offers were limited. As a vegetarian I ordered what seemed to be the only vegetarian dinner on the menu -- wild mushroom risotto. For $18 I was served three dollops of mostly rice that didn't fill the plate. It was good, but didn't satisfy. I'm a grown man. I filled up on a second basket of very good bread. We finished the first basket while waiting more time than I prefer for our dinners. My wife had the beef stoganoff, which was ample and tasty. However, it was very soupy; she had to ask for a spoon to eat it. Servers were friendly and attentive. Breakfast was the usual, good and plentiful. Some labels could have helped.
- very poor service, had toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013very poor service, had to ask for water & still didn't get it, never asked if i wanted more tea, recommended desert that tasted awful and she complained about how the tables were set-up ? The room was way to HOT. Went to happy hour in the bar & enjoyed much more.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant if your stayingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/21/2013Nice restaurant if your staying at the fountain grove but if I wasn't staying there I probably wouldn't go...Special Features:
- I'd probably go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2013Service was great. Food not so. I had osso buco and my wife had ribs and brisket. The meats were dry but palatable. Accompanying dishes (veggies etc.) were all excellent. House salad was delicious, but small. Buffet breakfasts there were excellent.
- nice restaurant, though IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2013nice restaurant, though I was here with my 8 year old daughter - and a little too upscale for the both of us - many couples having dinner - romantic setting. I was glad they had a kids menu for her to choose from. My food was a little different than what I was used to - I guess they call it Calif. fushion - but it was good.Special Features:
- A great find!cabaretgirlVIPDined on 2/18/2013Great food and great service. The perfect wedding anniversary spot. We stayed at the Fountaingrove Inn, so we just had steps to walk to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Thanks for the Memories....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013I had planned on writing a letter of appreciation because of the special treatment we received from the staff, it has been a long time since we have met so many in service at the same place that were so helpful,courteous,entergetic,and just really nice. The young people that work there should be commended for their over and beyond help. After eating we were allowed to use the back room table to play cards and when the help came in to get something they would interact with us, your staff is great and please say thank you from the 6 of us. The Alexander Group
- Mixed experience.JerseyGirlVIPDined on 2/15/2013We waited a long time to be seated. The restaurant was packed, there were two wait staff and one busboy for all tables. We waited an unusual amount of time to be noticed at the table, for our drinks and food orders to be taken, and for our food. Three in our party really liked their meals. The fourth got a mushroom risotto (a Friday in Lent, there were few options), which had too much oregano, to the point of being inedible and enoki mushrooms, which have no flavor, instead of cremini or porcini.The waitress was very responsive (understaffing not her fault)and replaced a drink that the bartender made wrong. Brunch was terrific, the coffee and French toast were superb. Tablecloths on the tables would add a lot to ambience at dinner.Special Features:
- Great food horrible service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2013It was a slow night with 10 open tables when we arrived for our reservation. The person at the hostess station said we had to wait for another employee to seat us but she would led the hostess know. It was 20 minutes with several other people arriving after us that were seated immediatley. The person who refused to seat us ended up with us at one of her tables which she was unhappy with. We are an ordinary family oput for a valentines dinner. the service was horribly slow another 20 minutes until our order was taken. Another 30 minutes to being served. We arrived at 6:20 pm and were there for a couple of hours. the food was great but what a waste of money. I emailed management and have never heard back. Would not reccomend to anyone.
- The beef stroganoff was terrible.mfthomasDined on 2/9/2013The beef stroganoff was terrible. The meat pieces were the size of a pea and tasted old. There was no sour cream in the sauce. 80% noodles. I should have sent it back. Thought it would be good because of our previous dinner here.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our meal here notOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/9/2013We enjoyed our meal here not great but good. The mushroom risotto was very flavorful, the lamb was delicious, I would however pass on the Caesar salad. It was supposed to be mixed table side but the waitress was behind us so you couldn't really watch - and between mixing our salad and doing other things it took her forever. The salad was simply not good. Lets just say bottled dressing would be better The service was also Very slow.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013This dinner was part of a groupon deal, we had a lovely stay at the Fountain Grove Inn, some credit towards dinner was included and my husband's meal was outstanding, our salads were delicious, my beef stroganoff had a different spice mixed in that I didn't find appealing but otherwise the meal was excellent. The staff were wonderful and we had such a lovely stay for this deal. Besides all this, they included a buffet breakfast for 2 the following morning. It was excellent! Would do it again in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013We had a wonderful dinner at Equus. I love the romantic booths and warm atmosphere. The service was exceptional, and the food was delicious. My husband had the Osso Buco; full of flavor, and so tender. He cleared his plate!I had the chicken; perfectly cooked, but more than I could eat. We'll be back!Special Features:
- We had a very nice evening.brynnDined on 2/1/2013We had a very nice evening. We love this restaurant and eat here on special occasions. The bar area is lively and fun. The beef wellington appetizer which we shared,was yummy. The shrimp carbonara pasta was generous in portion and excellent. My husband loves his beef and wanted to try the Kobe New York steak which was explained, as close as it gets to Kobe. Well, he was disappointed and would not order it again. It was cooked perfectly, med-rare, but lacking tenderness/flavor - overpriced for the quality. The waiter offered to replace the steak, but the second was a not much better. The sides of broccolini and scalloped potatoes perfect. Equus always provides great service and top quality, however the steak missed the mark this timeSpecial Features:
- Food service very slow forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2013Food service very slow for a restaurant that wasn't busy at the time.Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013Our dinner was very good. I had sea bass and many husband had shrimp carbonara. The atmosphere was relaxing.Special Features:
- The central tables are oddlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2013The central tables are oddly positioned and feel awkward, because they are round and positioned out in the open area, so that you feel like you are on display to the terraced tables and surrounding table. The menu is rather limited, especially if you like pasta. The best thing is the large selection of appetizers and salads, rather than the entres. So this takes this restaurant off any gourmet or eclectic dining experience. The Wedge Salad was creative, flavorful, and quite wonderful and filling because it included a pork belly slice. But the Osso Bucco entre was so bad it was indeible. It is a hunk of pork on the bone and absolutely soaked in soy sauces and restsing in a sea of fat whichk makes it inedible.
- I was pleasantly surprised!BecauseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/24/2013I was pleasantly surprised!Because some reviews were less than encouraging I didn't have great expectations for this restaurant, however I booked reservations anyway since my group was staying at the Fountaingrove Inn and were given vouchers towards our meal here. From start to finish, the food and service was fantastic! The carrott and ginger soup - amazing! I had the Lobster Pasta . . .oh my goodness!!! Yum! My daughter had the Shrimp Carbonara and loved it! My mother had the Brick Chicken and loved it but couldn't finish it because the portion size was huge! Unfortunately, our tummys didn't have any room left for dessert!Glad I didn't listen to the negative reviews.
- Andrew CraigWineGooRewDined on 1/20/2013I love this place - especially the bar area. this was my first time sitting in the dining room. Great ambiance and seating - they have these huge private booths that are unique and romantic. We split a caesar that was made superbly and the sea bass, prawns carbonara, and pork were all excellent. My only low point came from our server - her table etiquette was missing and she came off as abrasive. I said something to her and she disappeared for awhile with the caesar salad cart in front of the table. Then she came back and just served us without making comments and everything was very well done from then on.Special Features:
- If you love Caesar Salad...MaxwellVIPDined on 1/18/2013The lobster and pasta dish was full of claw meat...very tasty. And the prawns with pancetta and peas in pasta was also wonderful. Having waitstaff prepare Caesar salad (for two) tableside is quite a show.Special Features:
- The waiter did not even introduceSunshineDined on 1/11/2013The waiter did not even introduce himself. The flavor of the food was really good but it was cold. It took a while to get the food so we did not send it back. Next time I would send it back to enjoy.
- Considering it was a specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/10/2013Considering it was a special annv., it was a dud of an evening. The hostess was lovely, but there was no other mention of our special day. The waiter, while competent, was not very friendly. Not even a smile the whole eveing. My husband couldn't eat his stroganoff, (?) tough noodles, but it was taken off the bill. We've gone to Equus many times for different events, but it will be awhile before we return! Paulette BuzzardSpecial Features:
- A cozy high end dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013A cozy high end dining experience that is very satisfying.Special Features:
- Tables were sticky and gooey.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012Tables were sticky and gooey. Otherwise service was good and food was fine.
- A romantic spotnvboundDined on 12/29/2012A quiet, relaxing evening with food choices to please the palate await you at Equus. The restaurant offers extensive wine choices & signature cocktails to compliment a variety of foot choices. We tried The Brick Chicken & a special offering of Patrole Sole both prepared & offered along with carefully chosen risottos & vegetables to delight the senses. We enjoyed the evening & will look forward to another visit!Special Features:
- Love the private booths andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Love the private booths and the ambience with good portion and tasty food.Special Features:
- The best service one couldHobbesVIPDined on 12/27/2012The best service one could ask for... Claire was very accommodating to our reservation needs. Booths are very intimate. Food quite tasty, especially the veal porterhouse. YUM.Special Features:
- The service was slow at first,tq525VIPDined on 12/27/2012The service was slow at first, but picked up OK afterward. The food was excellent, especially the braised Niman Ranch Prk Osso Buco. Recommended!!Special Features:
- An extremely pleasant surprise...DeePVIPDined on 12/26/2012Our dinner was part of a package at the Fountain Grove. Couldn't have been better!! We were celebrating a birthday and our server, Lacee, made it a very special occasion. The wedge salad was prepared differently than any we have had...we were very glad we ordered it as it was delicious. One of the dinner main courses wasn't available, but the chef was more than accommodating in substituting ingredients. Lacee was an excellent server, very helpful, efficient, and friendly. We would highly recommend!Special Features:
- Cancel reservations early!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2012Not a good night. My date stood me up and I sent an email to the restaurant an hour before my reservation, only to be told by them that they do accept cancellations after 4pm! Huh? Excuse me? Not much good will left, after that little act of anti-hospitality.
- Terrible service. We didn't stay.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012We made reservations at Equus for the Christmas dinner, but we never ate. Rude and neglectful service. The hostess didn't greet us when we came in, and she was rude in our first interactions with her. After we were seated, we waited at our table for awhile to order, but then we left since the waiter never returned to our table. That was the second time either of us had left a restaurant.
- Very good service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2012Very good service and food. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- Restaurant is very dark.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/25/2012Restaurant is very dark. Ok for romance but not for early dinner on a holiday. Table had spots where the veneer was off and no tablecloth to cover. Food was inconsistent. Some good. E.g. Salmon, some not - Osso Bucco.
- Expensive and DarkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012We were sorely disappointed. For a $59 charge, we really wondered what could cost so much. The soup was mediocre and it didn't seem like we got much of it. I'd price that at about $5.00 for a "cup of a soup." The salmon was nice but we had to ask for a side of sauce to liven it back up. I'd price that at around $20 to $23. Then there was the chocolate mousse which just tasted cheap to me. Nothing special or decadent about it. I'd price that at a standard $7.00 as desserts usually are at nicer restaurants. That adds up to $35 at the most. What is the other $24 for?! A Christmas surprise but not in a good way. We seemed to have 4 different people waiting on us which was confusing and boy was it dark inside.Special Features:
- Had dinner at EQuus on SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012Had dinner at EQuus on Saturday 12/15/12 and the weather unfortunately was so cold with the rain et al. Were expecting a warm, romantic dinner at Equus and was told that their central heater was broken.Brrrrrr! Their food was OK. Service OK.Special Features:
- I would not recommend thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/15/2012I would not recommend this restaurant for the price. The food itself was fair - just not the quality you would expect from a restaurant at this price level. I think the ambiance was the largest drawback at this place. Equus really did not have a good welcoming climate. My wife and I arrived for dinner and were promptly seated - though interesting that the hostess didn't even say hello or much of anything else. The staff looked like they didn't want to be there .... so I would suspect overall unhappiness on how the facility is being managed. Though this is only speculation. So - bottom line - My wife and I made the best of it, as we always do - though know we would not come back or recommend this restaurant to anyone we care about ..