Equus and Jack's Lounge
122 Sears Avenue
Louisville, KY 40207Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Equus and Jack's Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.equusrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5028979721
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 4:00 - 11:00, Friday - Saturday 4:00 - Midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tavis Rockwell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Equus specializes in any catering event from small intimate dinner parties to sit-down multi-coarse dinners for 500 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Equus and Jack's Lounge offers 2 private rooms. The Chef Room accommodates up to 60 guests while the E.P. Room accommodates up to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Henderson 5028979721
A word from Equus and Jack's Lounge
Upscale Bistro serving Refined American Cuisine since 1985. Located in the heart of St. Matthews, Equus and Jack’s Lounge feature a moderately-priced Contemporary American menu in a comfortable & relaxed bistro atmosphere. Enjoy our extensive Wine Spectator award-winning wine menu, specialty cocktails, and broad range of domestic & imported beer. We are also a proud member of the Urban Bourbon Trail with over 50 Kentucky bourbons available to enjoy. Come spend an evening with us, you'll understand why we are a Louisville favorite!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Equus and Jack's Lounge - Best Restaurants in St Matthews ›
Equus and Jack's Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (11)romantic (10)good for groups (8)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- DEFICIENT MENUDAVEDined on 9/13/2014The food was good but the scope of the menu was limited. Nachos for appetizers? We can find that in a Mexican restaurant. This restaurant formerly exhibited a grand menu. What happened, I dont know. Sadly I will not be back.
- A Place to AvoidPIckyDiner1685Dined on 9/12/2014We were told our waiter was busy and would get to our table eventually. The nacho plate was the best food of the evening, as both of our entrees were bereft of flavor. The portion of red snapper I was served was considerably smaller than my iPhone. The chicken and pasta dish that was served to my wife had very little flavor. The price of the bottle of Edna Valley chard was reasonable and it was not overly chilled. We will not be returning to Equus. This meal was a great let down for celebrating our first wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Just okayropoVIPDined on 9/12/2014The menu is limited, our food was good, but pretty basic. None of the dishes were noteworthy. This definitely an older crowd, so the atmosphere is consistent with that. We thirty-somethings went there for a date night, so it was disappointing. Menu more suited for lunch. The place is cute and service was good. Prices are very reasonable. It just wasn't what we were looking for, but okay.
- deadMomboJDined on 9/6/2014The menu was very limited - I could have gotten fish tacos at Taco Bell. The place was deader than a door nail. My husband ordered scallops which were good, but there were only 2 medium scallops. The wedge had about a tablespoon of dressing and we had to ask the waiter for more. The average of the patrons had to be 70.
- Word of mouthBuzzworthDined on 9/5/2014I've heard from others about Equus but have never been. After the wonderful meal and great service, we will be back and bring friends. Chef Dean has a cozy haunt right in the middle of St Matthews.Special Features:
- Loved it!NeighborDined on 8/19/2014I have lived in the neighborhood for four years and this is the first time I have eaten at Equus. The food was phenomenal and the service was very great. I had the crab cakes and fish tacos and they were the best I have ever had. I was also pleasantly surprised at the range in prices. You can dine for a price more in line with casual dining all the way up to meals that are gourmet and pricey. I think may become a regular!Special Features:
- olieDined on 8/2/2014The food and service was excellent. Staff is very attentive. Food was nicely displayed and hot. Just enjoyed the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but not greatdisappointedDined on 7/31/2014Too expensive for the food quality. We had 2 so-so fish sandwiches, one tiny $8 salad, over breaded and over done onion rings, bland sweet potato fries and a beer and 2 wines......$70 bill. Not worth it....better value at Kingfish!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!rugbeechickDined on 6/9/2014The food was tasty! The waitress was amazing & had lots of great suggestions & info about the menu. Some of the items were pretty pricey, but they also had plenty of options that were reasonable. I was surprised to see they even had weeknight dinner specials ($2 off a certain dish each night). Some side notes: We went for a semi-romantic dinner to celebrate a birthday. So we didn't mind the ambiance with the dimmed lights and smaller tables. I did overhear several other folks mention how dark it was as they walked in & asked if there were tables with more light. Also, the crowd at the time we went (6PM on a Mon.) was much older than us, so maybe not the place to go for a happening evening, but I can't speak for later evening or weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Spottodiefor43Dined on 6/7/2014We had excellent food and our waiter was very knowledgeable and helpful in our orders. I would highly recommend it and come back the next time we are in Louisville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysGMillerDined on 6/5/2014Can't go wrong ever at Equus and Jack's! The food, drinks, atmosphere and service was wonderful as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 231 reviews are from the Equus and Jack's Lounge reviews archive.
- Good specialsyumyumDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I ate there for dinner. He had a pork chop special and it was the most delicious pork chop I have ever tasted. My pasta special was tasty. Great salads and nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good food, but too darkmsbeeVIPDined on 5/30/2014We shared the fried chicken and it was awesome. Richard, our server, did an outstanding job; never leaving me without a refill on my Coke. The negative is the darkness of the place and the televisions set up around the room. The televisions give the appearance of a bar. If I want to watch sports during dinner, I will choose that. I would rather it was not chosen for me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite SpotMillieDined on 5/10/2014Consistently top notch food and service. Can't missSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably goodMTTableDined on 5/7/2014A comfortable atmosphere, reasonable prices, friendly, capable service, good food and an expertly prepared martini. What more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERBDAVEDined on 4/26/2014QUITE AMBIANCE, SUPERB SERVICE, MAGNIFICENT FOOD. WILL BE BACK MANY TIMES.Special Features:
- Great food/ServiceloufVIPDined on 4/12/2014. Our first time here and we were very pleasantly surprised as we had not heard much about this place. Food and service were excellent. We will be back!Special Features:
- The service is gently discreetSophiaVIPDined on 4/10/2014The service is gently discreet , the food is consistently good , and always busy with an excellent atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jack's is great!SandysilverDined on 4/7/2014Food is always good! and service is too! Our movie group goes there a LOT of Monday nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Bourbon Menujfarr63Dined on 4/5/2014I came for the bourbon selection, and a place to get a good meal. I was pleasantly surprise to get both. I got the 2O year Pappy Van Winkle. My wife already gave me the 10 year, and I have to admit, their version was much smoother. I tend to like lower alcohol content in my bourbon, In my opinion, you get more of the robust, nutty flavor from the lower alcohol content. They had several other really good bourbons, but I wanted to try one that I have not, and this was a great choice. I had the pasta meal, which was very good. Although, I admit, for Pasta, this would not be my destination of choice in Louisville. I enjoyed the fried apple pie. It went real well with the ice cream. If I go back, I might ask for a little more ice cream.Special Features:
- My new favorite spotthedebsDined on 4/3/2014This restaurant has never disappointed and I eat here quite a bit. If you are looking for a lite meal, you can't go wrong with their mushroom soup (a must!) and spinach salad. My husband swears the steak is one of the best he has ever had and that's a lot coming from him. The other night, I was planning on having the soup and salad when our waitress pointed out that the fried chicken dinner was on special that night. Were we ever glad we went with this! The chicken was perfectly done and was nestled on creamy mashed potatoes with delicious cooked kale as a side. It also came with corn bread that made you want more. This was definitely not a diet meal but so worth it! They also have a great wine list, also important. Love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so goodawareDined on 3/24/2014Went to hopefully see Joy P at the bar, but she was not present so sat in the lounge area in the next room. Our server was not pleasant and seemed annoyed with our presence. I had one of the worst cocktails, Irish Old Fashion, I have had in a while-too sweet. The server recognized my dismay and noticed the full glass but only asked if I wanted another drink. We got the tater tot appetizer which had good flavor but was way over-fried. My favorite part of the short visit was when I asked for the check and the server seemed overjoyed that we weren't staying. If you are over the age of 60 and an "established" well to do Louisville native, this might be your place, otherwise, not so much.
- Friday night with friendsAmyWDined on 3/14/2014Need a fun but casual Friday night? Go to Jack's. Whether you eat in the bar or in the dining rooms you are sure to have a great meal and relax.Special Features:
- Senior Hot SpotcallieDined on 1/31/2014We were recommended to this restaurant by a friend in his late 30's. We dined there on a Friday night around 7:30 and literally thought it was senior night lol. It was packed with wealthy 70 year old + people. Nothing at all wrong with that of course, but if you are expecting a hip young crowd don't come here. As far as food goes, we would not visit here again for dinner simply because the entrees are over priced (from $16 to $40 each) and frankly aren't that amazing and the portions aren't great. I would come back for some small plates/appetizers though! Loved the tater tots :). Service was great.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful dinnerBarbaraADined on 1/28/2014We had a wonderful dinner and as always at Jack's Equus, saw friends every where.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to have a conversationfarmgirlDined on 1/27/2014When I want good food and drinks and a cozy, quiet atmosphere, I go to Equus/Jack's Lounge. It's the perfect place to get tucked away in a corner, in comfy chairs and catch up with a friend or have a private business conversation. Food is very good and service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equus/Jack's never fails toOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/14/2014Equus/Jack's never fails to provide a wonderful evening with fantastic food and great service, all within a very friendly atmosphere. Entire staff (front and back) are friendly, courteous, and helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.... Thursday isJmalone103VIPDined on 12/26/2013Always good.... Thursday is typically the Fried Chicken special, never disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrived and was promptly seated.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/14/2013Arrived and was promptly seated. Pleasant and attentive wait staff. Clubby atmosphere with TVs around the room. Food was very good - my wife had shrimp and and I had the scallops. Nice wine list with something for everyone's wallet.Special Features:
- Had the mussels, scallops,TinaVIPDined on 11/29/2013Had the mussels, scallops, and sea bass. All were delicious. Also, ordered the mint chocolate cheesecake for dessert w/coffee and that was equally good! Our server, Jackie, was very good also. Love this place for the ambiance, food, and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for anniversary dinnerabcdefgDined on 11/18/2013The tables on either side of us were about 2 to 2 1/2 feet away from ours, which made it almost feel like we were sitting at the same table with someone we didn't even know. There were table cloths on the larger tables, but not on ours. There were televisions on the wall in my view both to the right and the left with sports playing the entire time. My husband ordered a bibb lettuce salad, but was told later that they were out. I was served a different kind of soup than what I ordered. We should have received 50 points for Louisville Originals, but Equus is no longer affiliated with Louisville Originals. Food was excellent, but will probably not dine here again.
- Looking forward to coming backLizK413VIPDined on 10/14/2013I was there on a Monday, so I enjoyed the Monday Special: Fish Tacos. They were tasty, and the perfect size for me. I also enjoyed the Ginger Snap cocktail .... delicious dessert. And speaking of dessert, the Irish Bomb is a great dessert to share if you're a fan of Irish like me. I'm certainly looking to returning and trying more options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good... I had the fish-Jmalone103VIPDined on 10/4/2013Always good... I had the fish- awesome. My wife had the fried chicken, ate every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining in a relaxed atmosphereKYSueDined on 10/4/2013Just returned from France and our meal last night equaled or surpassed many of our meals in Paris without the expensive price. The fish was cooked to perfection, served on top of fried green tomatoes with fresh vegetables. Our appetizer, a special with peppers stuffed with chorizo and cream cheese...c'est magnifiqueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, not what I expectedWinoDined on 9/21/2013I didn't realize Equus and Jack's Lounge were one in the same. It was an upscale sports bar. The food was good as was the service. I would go back for a casual dinner or drinks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in LouisvilleJosephDined on 8/31/2013Absolutely our favorite place in Louisville. We eat there regularly and will continue to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back.tsbayneDined on 8/30/2013Feels very upscale. Service and food were both excellent. Beers on tap had an excellent selection. Paid $100 for 1 appetizer, 2 entrees, 2 desserts, and 2 beers.Special Features:
- The service was great, ourJakubowskiDined on 8/24/2013The service was great, our waitress done an excellent job. The food was amazing, the chef really knew what he was doing. We had an outstanding time there.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, Great food!SilverDollarFanDined on 8/13/2013The nachos are delicious, the mushroom fume is to die for, and the fried apple pie with salted caramel icecream and homemade granola is worth every last calorie!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2013When it comes to Equus I have to say I meat have found a new favorite place to eat. My only suggestion is that when it comes to dessert you might want to find somewhere else to go. The appetizer and main course were both absolutely amazing however the dessert did not impress it was kind if disappointing after how good everything else was. We will definitely be back but will be finding dessert elsewhere.Special Features: