Equinox Restaurant & Bar
830 N Shaver St
Portland, OR 97227-1251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Equinox Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://equinoxrestaurantpdx.com/
- Phone: 5034603333x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Wednesday- Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Kroger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Equinox offers in house or off site catering. Customer satisfaction is important to us that is why we are available to meet directly with you to create a personalized menu that will satisfy your palate and your budget.
- Private Party Facilities: Equinox is the perfect location for events such as corporate parties, rehearsal dinners, weddings, holiday parties and birthdays.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Stultz 5036801165x
A word from Equinox Restaurant & Bar
Equinox offers fresh, hand made seasonal cuisine in a relaxed and unassuming atmosphere. Pacific Northwest ingredients inspire new dishes and amplify classic combinations. Ambitious, affordable menus bring the urbane and the rustic together on plates, in glasses, and on chairs.Continued
Dine in our open industrial space or, when the weather is nice, outside in our beautifully landscaped courtyard with seating for 45 people.
Dine in our open industrial space or, when the weather is nice, outside in our beautifully landscaped courtyard with seating for 45 people.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Equinox Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in North Portland ›
Equinox Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (78)neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (24)great for brunch (23)romantic (17)good for groups (15)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food, service and great spaceLadymayDined on 8/27/2014Great food Great service Really nice out side dinning but very cool inside also Nice for convo Hard to find parking would be the only thing we did not like Great drink and wine list, Can even be a bit romantic Food is very different not the same old thing and very reasonably priced for what you get, Polenta fries are great could make a meal out of just having them because they are do filling!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was GoodFoodie503Dined on 8/24/2014It lived up to the reviews. Food was tasty, service could use improvement. The slow service didn't ruin the meal, but don't come here when you have plans following.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Atmosphere & Scrumptious Food!LRREDined on 8/24/2014Equinox Cafe is located in a nice neighborhood and has a beautiful patio for outside dining. We ordered the Equinox Bowl and Creme Brûlée French Toast for Brunch. The food was scrumptious with a creative twist, the service friendly and the atmosphere relaxing. We highly recommend this restaurant and are looking forward to future visits.Special Features:
- Second visit, will go back againAllisonGDined on 8/23/2014Went to Equinox on Saturday and had an even better experience than the first visit. The food was great, the staff was friendly and helpful. The outside patio was shaded and cool even on a warm day in the late evening. Definitely will be a regular spot from now on.Special Features:
- lost that loving feelingeasytopleasejusttryDined on 8/19/2014We used to tout Equinox as one of the best meals around. We loved it and would eat there 5 or 6 times per year, we didnt go out much. After this last experience we won't be spending any more anniversaries wasting our money at this formerly great little spot. From the skunky tap water (toilet?)...seriously the water from my hose is better...to the overseasoned and undercooked steak, to the pointless use of french menu terms, to the lousy waitress who decided to fold napkins and flirt with the bartender for 15 minutes while we waited for...well any contact at all, perhaps a dessert menu. By the time i had to get up and go fetch our useless server after a subpar meal, i wasnt up for any creme brulee. All good things come to an end.
- Perfect night for outdoor diningNancyJDined on 8/18/2014Our meal was delicious. Especially enjoyed the spaetzle with lobster "yummy". Don't forget the bread pudding! Great friendly service also.Special Features:
- Sunday DinnerDanSueDined on 8/17/2014Went back again on a Groupon for Sunday night early dinner. We were greeted promptly upon arrival and invited to sit wherever we wanted on the outdoor patio. I had the very large burger & wife had the Carlton Farms pork. Both were served hot and straight from the kitchen ... Very delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious and relaxingPNWfoodloverDined on 8/16/2014We dined at Equinox for the first time for a friend's birthday and everyone walked away with rave reviews. The food was worthy of licking our plates. We sat outside on their lovely patio, which was quiet and relaxing. We'll be going back for more!Special Features:
- Great lunchPortlandwithkidsDined on 8/13/2014Met friend for lunch. Great day so sat on patio. Lunch was delicious. I loved the egg scramble. A lot of breakfast food but it was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but food was fairShamrockDined on 8/9/2014Very nice ambiance, however the food was either cream based or friend, not a lot of healthy options.Special Features:
- Delicious!nopodinerDined on 8/7/2014We started with calamari and some rose recommended by our waiter. YUMMM! Then we split a salad and roast pork entrée, which was out of this world. We finished with bread pudding. Everything was great...it always is. We love place and dine there quite often.Special Features:
- Good food but waited hour+ for foodPortlandDinerDined on 8/3/2014The group I dined with picked Equinox because they took reservations. We had a party of 10 that was sat right at 9am on Sunday when they opened. The restaurant did get busy but was not full (only about 1/3 full inside, full patio). We were greeted right away and drink order were taken and filled. After ordering breakfast, the wait began. It was over an hour before we all had our food and some plates were delivered to the table a full 10 minutes before others. We're not sure what happened, but this marred the dining experience greatly. Would I go back? Food was good but I can get better service elsewhere. A party of 10 isn't THAT big to slow things down as much as it did.Special Features:
- Delicious as AlwaysnopodinerDined on 7/31/2014We had another wonderful meal at Equinox at 8:30 PM. It was so warm that evening that we sat inside to beat the heat, and had the whole place to ourselves (a rare occasion). We started with a bottle of Ardeche Chardonnay, shared a salad and an entrée, and couldn't resist the crème brulee for dessert. Equinox is one of our favorite neighborhood places.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsNikonpdxDined on 7/28/2014My dining experience at Equinox has always been top notch from excellent service, nice selection of wines to dishes that make the taste buds tingle. Prices are reasonable for the portions and quality and the out of town friends I bring are always impressed.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service LackingGoCougsDined on 7/28/2014The food we chose was outstanding. My wife and I shared the mussels and the spaetzl. Our meal was full of flavor and we order bread half way through the meal to mop up the sauce on both plates. The downside of our experience was the service. People were only sitting outside, which was fine, but with 2 servers taking care of 6-8 tables there was a noticeable lag period between table visits. It left a sour note on the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 7/25/2014Too few servers serving just okay food. Ok happy hour menuSpecial Features:
- perfect night outHelensOpineDined on 7/21/2014We enjoyed our experience at Equinox very much. Nice setting, casual but tasteful. The service and food were excellent. We'll definitely go there again. We went on early on a Monday night and it was just right. The outdoor patio is perfect for a warm evening.Special Features:
- long long wait for fooddisappointedDined on 7/20/2014Disappointed with the service. I had been to the restaurant before. So I decided to take some out of town guests there. I made a reservation and we were seated promptly. But ended up waiting over an hour for food because of some mix up with our order. Even after the food arrived, they forgot some of our orders and we had to remind them. They apologized and gave us a discount but we were unhappy with the experience. We had guests from out of town and they didn't get a good impression of portland! I am not sure I would go back.
- Ah...sweet2treatsDined on 7/18/2014Very relaxing. Nice place to go after a busy work week. My husband's pork loin was fantastic! Overall, the food was great. The water tasted awful though. Need to do something about that.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableRgoldberg06Dined on 7/17/2014We went with a groupon and had a great meal. The crepes were amazing.Special Features:
- Good food, Great outdoor patioCoachVIPDined on 7/5/2014We had a party of 8 that ate here inside in July. The weather was warm so I would have liked to have sat on the patio, but being our first time there I didn't really think about that until we were done with our meal. All food and appetizers were good. I had the stew which had a good flavor but no chunks of meat. It was mostly carrots and a large serving of french fries. Others had the chicken, salmon, and spaetzle. Everyone said theirs were good. We had deviled eggs, the daily bruschetta, and polenta fries for appetizers, thumbs up on all that. I would have liked to have had dessert but we were too full so we walked down the street to the ice cream place with a huge line instead, but next time I really want to try their bread pudding.Special Features:
- Lovely outside diningpdxfoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I had a delicious and reasonably priced meal using a Groupon coupon. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. She also doubled as bartender and made great drinks. My mojito was wonderful! I had the salmon, which was prepared perfectly. My husband had the hamburger, which was very good and the fries were great. We plan to return in the future!Special Features:
- Poor servicejrodge52Dined on 6/30/2014I made reservations for our 41st wedding anniversary, mentioning it was our anniversary . My wife is gluten free. We have dined here before, they had various gluten free options, but not this time. Our server was very slow, and not attentive. Food was OK, when it finally arrived. Will not be back. No mention of anniversary.Special Features:
- Delightful time spent with friendscabindog09Dined on 6/29/2014It was a long time between visits with our friends. We both happened to have gift cards for Equinox, making it an obvious choice for catching up. Brunch selections were varied and tasty. The option to have a cocktail did not go unnoticed. Fresh squeezed orange juice is always a favorite. We cleaned our plates, were not rushed out and allowed to spend our time leisurely. Except for the [quiet] dog on the patio, everything was wonderful. One of our party had taken ill and couldn't fully enjoy or appreciate the food, but was impressed nonetheless. Definite return trip in order. Maybe for dinner…?Special Features:
- LOVE everything about Equinox!VancouverToPDXDined on 6/27/2014We enjoy it for Date Night, Happy Hour with a Friend Night, Weekend B'fast and Out of Town Guest Night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ChoicecathykDined on 6/27/2014We had a great dinner. I had a Salmon dish which they modified for gluten free. My husband had a pork dish which had a very distictive porcini mushroom sauce. The pork was slightly overdone. There was just the two of us (with reservations) and they wanted to place us at one of the two person tables close to the door. It's a very noisy place as those just arriving stand there and talk. We wanted a different table that was somewhat bigger, and at first they balked, then they complied. We were very happy with our place. We made our reservation online which was very easy to do.Special Features:
- Will come back for sure!AmyFVIPDined on 6/22/2014This place is a gem. Great food and good service. Make reservations as they do not have many tables. Can't wait to come back and try other things on the menu. We got the French toast, the grilled cheese and the Arlo. My fave was the grilled cheese--to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A Treat!nopodinerDined on 6/18/2014My husband and I had a lovely dinner last night. It was Thursday night, about 9, and the restaurant was unusually quiet. We had some good wine and cream of asparagus soup with shallots (yummmm!), then split the spaetzle with smoked salmon (pretty high on calories but also delicious). This is one of our favorite dining spots.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTLuckyDined on 6/17/2014great drinks, great food, great veggie options, great feel. I don't think you can go wrong going here. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great findsmithonnetteDined on 6/16/2014Equinox is a neighborhood find in the vibrant Mississippi area of Portland. Our meal was excellent, healthy and delicious. It seems to appeal to families, hipsters, and groups of friends, as all were there. Good wine selection at reasonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunchScorpioDined on 6/15/2014This was not our first visit to Equinox for brunch, but our waitress was new and not as on the ball as some of the other wait staff. We still enjoyed ourselves despite a few hiccups on her part. I do highly recommend getting reservations so you don't have to wait. Great food and excellent use of greens.Special Features:
- Yummy Fathers' DayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014My husband and I went Fathers' Day with our 7 and 10 year-olds. There is not a kid menu, so the kids each got a large breakfast that we ended up taking most of home. The food was great. My husband and son each had a different egg dish that was very tasty. My daughter had two giant pancakes that were very well done. The waffle I ordered was tough and tasted very flour-y. The waiter took it to be remade, but then came back and said they were having problems with it and hoped I could choose something else. I ordered a different dish which arrived within minutes and was perfect. The waiter repeatedly apologized and then did not charge me anything for my dish. All in all, a good breakfast.Special Features:
- Rich and DeliciousZachDined on 6/14/2014I had Equinox on my list of restaurants to visit for a long time, and I should have gone sooner. All our dishes were fantastic, rich, and flavorful, and there were good veggie options. The service was good, and the prices were excellent. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great!KLK1986Dined on 6/13/2014There are so many places in Portland to eat good food that I don't generally like to go to the same place twice, however I will be going back here. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork Loin was amazingEdwardDined on 6/13/2014All the dishes we tried were superb and the waitress was a delight!Special Features:
- Great happy hourLesaDined on 6/13/2014The happy hour menu has many fabulous food items and enough beverage choices for a good time. Outdoor seating area would be lovely on a nice night. Full menu has lots of gourmet items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was such a great experience.CindyluDined on 6/11/2014The good was delicious and the service excellent. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service; disappointing foodIzzyDined on 6/9/2014Pleasant outdoor seating and a great server let us enjoy our lousy meal at Equinox. If there weren't so many alternatives, we'd give it another chance. My partner's hamburger, ordered medium rare, had barely a hint of pink, and was dwarfed by its big, boring bun. Asiago and truffles were undetectable in the fries--plenty of salt, though. My rotini putanesca was a sludge of tomato, olives, and other elements stuck to Safeway-calibre pasta. We mentioned the overdone hamburger, and the attentive server offered dessert on the house. "Creme brulee" had a great crust--on top of some sort of cornstarch? pudding. Maybe it was a bad night? Perhaps we visited too close to the solstice, and the restaurant really shines in March and September.Special Features:
- DissapointingOregonianDined on 6/9/2014I do not understand how this restaurant received such a high rating. The food which arrived cold and dry was fair to bad and there were only two waitresses in the entire place. The entire experience was quite disappointing considering we took an out of town guest based on the open table reviews which were 4.5 stars.
- KimCDined on 6/5/2014Staff was friendly and accommodating. Food was delicious and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.