Equinox Restaurant & Bar
830 N Shaver St
Portland, OR 97227-1251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Equinox Restaurant & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://equinoxrestaurantpdx.com/
- Phone: 5034603333x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Brunch: Wednesday- Sunday 9:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Kroger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Equinox offers in house or off site catering. Customer satisfaction is important to us that is why we are available to meet directly with you to create a personalized menu that will satisfy your palate and your budget.
- Private Party Facilities: Equinox is the perfect location for events such as corporate parties, rehearsal dinners, weddings, holiday parties and birthdays.
- Private Party Contact: Michele Stultz 5036801165x
A word from Equinox Restaurant & Bar
Equinox offers fresh, hand made seasonal cuisine in a relaxed and unassuming atmosphere. Pacific Northwest ingredients inspire new dishes and amplify classic combinations. Ambitious, affordable menus bring the urbane and the rustic together on plates, in glasses, and on chairs.Continued
Dine in our open industrial space or, when the weather is nice, outside in our beautifully landscaped courtyard with seating for 45 people.
Dine in our open industrial space or, when the weather is nice, outside in our beautifully landscaped courtyard with seating for 45 people.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Equinox Restaurant & Bar - Best Restaurants in North Portland ›
Equinox Restaurant & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (54)neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (15)great for brunch (14)romantic (10)good for groups (9)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great end to our 25th yr ReunionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Thanks for making our 1989 25th class reunion one to remember. We all had a lovely dinner in a lovely atmosphere. We had a group of 8 and really enjoyed your relaxing restaurant with great food and great service.Special Features:
- Brunch to dinnerGGGGPageDined on 9/28/2014We were really excited to try the food. The food was not the disappointment, but the waiting. It took 1 1/2 for our food to finally arrive. Good thing we reserved for brunch since it was nearly 1pm when we got our food, our reservation was 11:30. Ridiculous wait. Will not come back to bring friends.Special Features:
- Waitress Appeared To be NewnopodinerVIPDined on 9/24/2014We didn't recognize our waitress (we eat here a lot) and the service was disappointing. (To be fair, there was 2 very large parties and the place was full.) We didn't get silverware and napkins until the food was served. We ordered a bottle of wine and neither of us was offered a taste before she poured our glasses. Also, we weren't provided with a bag for our leftover wine...my husband just walked out with the bottle in his hand! However, the chicken potpie was delicious, as was the soup and salad we consumed.Special Features:
- Fantastic Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Went here with my wife and folks. The food was great. I had the special, an omelette with corned beef and peppers, smothered in their incredible hollandaise sauce. Everyone else loved their meal. The service was exceptional. My mom wanted a customized omellette and they were more than accomodating. The price was very reasonable as well. We will be back for more brunches to come!Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014My partner and I went here as we have on many occasions (we had a Groupon) and didn't receive the pleasant experience we have in the past. We had a reservation and had to wait 15 minutes before we were seated. Not that bad, but when you have a reservation you expect to be seated rather quickly. Or, what's the point? As far as the food, I ordered the pork loin. It was very flavorful, but when it came from the kitchen it was only warm as if it had been sitting a while. That was very upsetting as I have always ordered this in the past. My partner had the chicken and was satisfied with it. I think perhaps we were there on just an "off" night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisastermmhmmDined on 9/11/2014Dishes were just sitting on the kitchen counter for a long time... including french fries :-(. This was happening during the non-busy hours. I wonder how those servers manage to serve all the dishes to the customers before they get cold during busy hours... I highly recommend to take a good look at your check before you make a payment. I was charged for an item I didn't order. Plus, the price I was charged for a happy hour item was a regular price. I don't want to be harsh, but I have to say the cooks need to work on plating. The thing surprised me the most was french fries right next to the stewed beef on the same plate. Not mashed potatoes or risotto or polenta, but french fries. Why? I don't see myself going back to this restaurant.
- Great food and drinks!HungrygirlDined on 9/8/2014I absolutely love this place! Great food every time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014We've eaten at Equinox a number of times with both small and large groups. Outdoor patio is great..a wonderful place to enjoy a meal on a summer night. The food was excellent. We have not had a bad meal there. The menu always has something unusual but also has stand-bys for those unadventurous types. It would be nice to have a little bigger selection of wine by the glass, but the cocktails are imaginative and delicious.Special Features:
- Fine dining outdoorsSteveninpdxVIPDined on 9/6/2014A warm summer night... the patio at Equinox a the perfect place to enjoy another great meal. Salads at the Equinox are fantastic, I especially love the beet with greens and crumbled cheese it's finished with chunks (yes chunks) of think crisp WARM bacon. I selected the salmon, encrusted with a light crunch yet moist and flavorful sitting on grill asparagus, the pre-heated plate kept my meal at perfection. The selection of wine starts around $27 with several under $40. I've always been impressed on how Equinox keeps it affordable, it's why we keep coming back. I should have reviewed them before, as every I've enjoyed every visit.Special Features:
- Midweek night on outdoor patioOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014The patio is shaded and spacious; food is good quality but menu is uninspired. Wine list modest - a fine place for quiet dinner before exploring Mississippi Street music offerings. David.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pet-friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014The server even provided a water dish for our poodle. Very pleasant, especially at the beginning of Happy Hour on the patio.Special Features:
- Great food, service and great spaceLadymayDined on 8/27/2014Great food Great service Really nice out side dinning but very cool inside also Nice for convo Hard to find parking would be the only thing we did not like Great drink and wine list, Can even be a bit romantic Food is very different not the same old thing and very reasonably priced for what you get, Polenta fries are great could make a meal out of just having them because they are do filling!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was GoodFoodie503Dined on 8/24/2014It lived up to the reviews. Food was tasty, service could use improvement. The slow service didn't ruin the meal, but don't come here when you have plans following.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Atmosphere & Scrumptious Food!LRREDined on 8/24/2014Equinox Cafe is located in a nice neighborhood and has a beautiful patio for outside dining. We ordered the Equinox Bowl and Creme Brûlée French Toast for Brunch. The food was scrumptious with a creative twist, the service friendly and the atmosphere relaxing. We highly recommend this restaurant and are looking forward to future visits.Special Features:
- Second visit, will go back againAllisonGDined on 8/23/2014Went to Equinox on Saturday and had an even better experience than the first visit. The food was great, the staff was friendly and helpful. The outside patio was shaded and cool even on a warm day in the late evening. Definitely will be a regular spot from now on.Special Features:
- lost that loving feelingeasytopleasejusttryDined on 8/19/2014We used to tout Equinox as one of the best meals around. We loved it and would eat there 5 or 6 times per year, we didnt go out much. After this last experience we won't be spending any more anniversaries wasting our money at this formerly great little spot. From the skunky tap water (toilet?)...seriously the water from my hose is better...to the overseasoned and undercooked steak, to the pointless use of french menu terms, to the lousy waitress who decided to fold napkins and flirt with the bartender for 15 minutes while we waited for...well any contact at all, perhaps a dessert menu. By the time i had to get up and go fetch our useless server after a subpar meal, i wasnt up for any creme brulee. All good things come to an end.
- Perfect night for outdoor diningNancyJDined on 8/18/2014Our meal was delicious. Especially enjoyed the spaetzle with lobster "yummy". Don't forget the bread pudding! Great friendly service also.Special Features:
- Sunday DinnerDanSueDined on 8/17/2014Went back again on a Groupon for Sunday night early dinner. We were greeted promptly upon arrival and invited to sit wherever we wanted on the outdoor patio. I had the very large burger & wife had the Carlton Farms pork. Both were served hot and straight from the kitchen ... Very delicious.Special Features:
- Delicious and relaxingPNWfoodloverDined on 8/16/2014We dined at Equinox for the first time for a friend's birthday and everyone walked away with rave reviews. The food was worthy of licking our plates. We sat outside on their lovely patio, which was quiet and relaxing. We'll be going back for more!Special Features:
- Great lunchPortlandwithkidsDined on 8/13/2014Met friend for lunch. Great day so sat on patio. Lunch was delicious. I loved the egg scramble. A lot of breakfast food but it was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but food was fairShamrockDined on 8/9/2014Very nice ambiance, however the food was either cream based or friend, not a lot of healthy options.Special Features:
- Delicious!nopodinerVIPDined on 8/7/2014We started with calamari and some rose recommended by our waiter. YUMMM! Then we split a salad and roast pork entrée, which was out of this world. We finished with bread pudding. Everything was great...it always is. We love place and dine there quite often.Special Features:
- Good food but waited hour+ for foodPortlandDinerDined on 8/3/2014The group I dined with picked Equinox because they took reservations. We had a party of 10 that was sat right at 9am on Sunday when they opened. The restaurant did get busy but was not full (only about 1/3 full inside, full patio). We were greeted right away and drink order were taken and filled. After ordering breakfast, the wait began. It was over an hour before we all had our food and some plates were delivered to the table a full 10 minutes before others. We're not sure what happened, but this marred the dining experience greatly. Would I go back? Food was good but I can get better service elsewhere. A party of 10 isn't THAT big to slow things down as much as it did.Special Features:
- Delicious as AlwaysnopodinerVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had another wonderful meal at Equinox at 8:30 PM. It was so warm that evening that we sat inside to beat the heat, and had the whole place to ourselves (a rare occasion). We started with a bottle of Ardeche Chardonnay, shared a salad and an entrée, and couldn't resist the crème brulee for dessert. Equinox is one of our favorite neighborhood places.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsNikonpdxDined on 7/28/2014My dining experience at Equinox has always been top notch from excellent service, nice selection of wines to dishes that make the taste buds tingle. Prices are reasonable for the portions and quality and the out of town friends I bring are always impressed.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service LackingGoCougsDined on 7/28/2014The food we chose was outstanding. My wife and I shared the mussels and the spaetzl. Our meal was full of flavor and we order bread half way through the meal to mop up the sauce on both plates. The downside of our experience was the service. People were only sitting outside, which was fine, but with 2 servers taking care of 6-8 tables there was a noticeable lag period between table visits. It left a sour note on the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 7/25/2014Too few servers serving just okay food. Ok happy hour menuSpecial Features:
- perfect night outHelensOpineDined on 7/21/2014We enjoyed our experience at Equinox very much. Nice setting, casual but tasteful. The service and food were excellent. We'll definitely go there again. We went on early on a Monday night and it was just right. The outdoor patio is perfect for a warm evening.Special Features:
- long long wait for fooddisappointedDined on 7/20/2014Disappointed with the service. I had been to the restaurant before. So I decided to take some out of town guests there. I made a reservation and we were seated promptly. But ended up waiting over an hour for food because of some mix up with our order. Even after the food arrived, they forgot some of our orders and we had to remind them. They apologized and gave us a discount but we were unhappy with the experience. We had guests from out of town and they didn't get a good impression of portland! I am not sure I would go back.
- Ah...sweet2treatsDined on 7/18/2014Very relaxing. Nice place to go after a busy work week. My husband's pork loin was fantastic! Overall, the food was great. The water tasted awful though. Need to do something about that.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableRgoldberg06Dined on 7/17/2014We went with a groupon and had a great meal. The crepes were amazing.Special Features:
- Good food, Great outdoor patioCoachVIPDined on 7/5/2014We had a party of 8 that ate here inside in July. The weather was warm so I would have liked to have sat on the patio, but being our first time there I didn't really think about that until we were done with our meal. All food and appetizers were good. I had the stew which had a good flavor but no chunks of meat. It was mostly carrots and a large serving of french fries. Others had the chicken, salmon, and spaetzle. Everyone said theirs were good. We had deviled eggs, the daily bruschetta, and polenta fries for appetizers, thumbs up on all that. I would have liked to have had dessert but we were too full so we walked down the street to the ice cream place with a huge line instead, but next time I really want to try their bread pudding.Special Features:
- Lovely outside diningpdxfoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I had a delicious and reasonably priced meal using a Groupon coupon. Our waitress was friendly and efficient. She also doubled as bartender and made great drinks. My mojito was wonderful! I had the salmon, which was prepared perfectly. My husband had the hamburger, which was very good and the fries were great. We plan to return in the future!Special Features:
- Poor servicejrodge52Dined on 6/30/2014I made reservations for our 41st wedding anniversary, mentioning it was our anniversary . My wife is gluten free. We have dined here before, they had various gluten free options, but not this time. Our server was very slow, and not attentive. Food was OK, when it finally arrived. Will not be back. No mention of anniversary.Special Features:
- Delightful time spent with friendscabindog09Dined on 6/29/2014It was a long time between visits with our friends. We both happened to have gift cards for Equinox, making it an obvious choice for catching up. Brunch selections were varied and tasty. The option to have a cocktail did not go unnoticed. Fresh squeezed orange juice is always a favorite. We cleaned our plates, were not rushed out and allowed to spend our time leisurely. Except for the [quiet] dog on the patio, everything was wonderful. One of our party had taken ill and couldn't fully enjoy or appreciate the food, but was impressed nonetheless. Definite return trip in order. Maybe for dinner…?Special Features:
- LOVE everything about Equinox!VancouverToPDXDined on 6/27/2014We enjoy it for Date Night, Happy Hour with a Friend Night, Weekend B'fast and Out of Town Guest Night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ChoicecathykDined on 6/27/2014We had a great dinner. I had a Salmon dish which they modified for gluten free. My husband had a pork dish which had a very distictive porcini mushroom sauce. The pork was slightly overdone. There was just the two of us (with reservations) and they wanted to place us at one of the two person tables close to the door. It's a very noisy place as those just arriving stand there and talk. We wanted a different table that was somewhat bigger, and at first they balked, then they complied. We were very happy with our place. We made our reservation online which was very easy to do.Special Features:
- Will come back for sure!AmyFVIPDined on 6/22/2014This place is a gem. Great food and good service. Make reservations as they do not have many tables. Can't wait to come back and try other things on the menu. We got the French toast, the grilled cheese and the Arlo. My fave was the grilled cheese--to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 175 reviews are from the Equinox Restaurant & Bar reviews archive.
- Always A Treat!nopodinerVIPDined on 6/18/2014My husband and I had a lovely dinner last night. It was Thursday night, about 9, and the restaurant was unusually quiet. We had some good wine and cream of asparagus soup with shallots (yummmm!), then split the spaetzle with smoked salmon (pretty high on calories but also delicious). This is one of our favorite dining spots.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTLuckyDined on 6/17/2014great drinks, great food, great veggie options, great feel. I don't think you can go wrong going here. Can't wait to go back!Special Features: