Equinox - DC
818 Connecticut Ave
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Equinox - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.equinoxrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023318118
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm
Please note that Equinox will be closed the following Sundays in August: 8/19, 8/26. We will also be closed the first Sunday in September, 9/2.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Gray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering: Equinox offers catering for all types of events.
- Private Party Facilities: Equinox can provide an artfully designed and relaxed environment for you to host your next function for parties of 12 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Kassoff Gray/Chelsea Zinkgraf 2023318118
- Special Events: Please call Ellen Kassoff Gray or Chelsea Zinkgraf at 202.331.8118 for more details or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Equinox - DC
Please come join Todd & Ellen Gray and the Equinox staff to delight in some of the seasons best flavors from the mid-atlantic region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Equinox - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (84)special occasion (65)romantic (39)great for lunch (34)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (29)great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (15)great for brunch (12)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- A bit bummedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Was looking forward to this dinner and ended up totally overwhelmed. Had a great wine and loved the bread, but I ordered the duck and honestly should have sent it back to the kitchen. Totally undercooked and none of the fat was rendered. That aside, the whole dish just had too many disparate items. Duck with chanterell mushrooms - good. Add onion rings on top, garlic croutons, and corn with bell peppers = not so good. Besides the fact that I'm allergic to bell peppers and they weren't listed on the menu as an ingredient in the dish. My boyfriend was similarly disappointed with his cobia dish.
- liked oit very much!!!deson1VIPDined on 8/22/2014i was very pleased with my experience..will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Try itellieDined on 8/19/2014Every dish was excellent tried 4 different ones. Service excellent dessert very tasty. Wine choices also nice. Ambiance is good. Location off metro.Special Features:
- Good choice for visitingSatisfiedDinerDined on 8/17/2014We were there for Restaurant week and the choices were limited, and the food okay but not outstanding. Service was excelloent and atmosphere very conducive to being able to make conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Across the BoardScubaDined on 8/17/2014I went here for Restaurant Week as I wanted to try a new place. I randomly came across the menu and everything looked interesting. My girlfriend and I decided to start with the Gratin of Mussels and the Shrimp Panzanella. Both were delicious and full of flavor. For the entrees, we selected the Salmon Filet and the Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. The salmon was cooked perfectly, as was the tenderloin. The bacon outside added to the flavor without dominating the dish. We wrapped up our meal with the Panna Cotta and the Chocolate Torte, both of which were sweet but not overwhelming. To accompany our dishes, we selected the wine pairing option. We were pleased with each choice. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Too much seasoningMarelwynneVIPDined on 8/17/2014Out of three choices for the first course I chose the shrimp panzanella salad. While the shrimp panzanella had fresh ingredients the old bay seasoning and smoke flavors overpowered the little salad. My husbands gazpacho was a winner! So fresh and fabulous. Wish I had ordered that choice. My pork entree again had smoke flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan Sunday Brunch a real hit!thankGodforfoodDined on 8/17/2014I'm not vegan, but I love vegetables and wanted to see how the Chef would handle a full brunch spread with no animal products. He did it - it was wonderful - soup through dessert, very filling and you can feel good about eating heartily since everything was healthy, inventively prepared, and very tasty. The staff was so professional and cordial - not the bouncy, over-familiar TGIF style - but old fashioned in their concern that you have everything you need, that you are enjoying the food, and they neither hover over you nor rush you. Best dining experience I've had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent VisitmeandherDined on 8/16/2014The service was excellent. The wait staff was friendly and helpful. The food was very good. The lamb was excellent. As a matter of fact my wife and I had an excellent evening celebrating our anniversary. We have been to equinox several times and have found it to be consistently good. I recommend it for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 247FoodieDined on 8/13/2014A party of 3 came for dinner during restaurant week. My first time dining at this restaurant. For appetizers, we ordered salad and gazpacho. Both very good. For entrees, we ordered salmon and pork tenderloin. They were both fabulous. The portions for appetizers and entrees were just right. For dessert, we ordered the coconut cake (Vegan). We all thought the cake was average in taste and the portion a tad too small. Service was very good all around though not outstanding. Restaurant has a nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingfoodVIPDined on 8/12/2014reviews were very good so we decided to go to Equinox. We were so disappointed. Service was mediocre, you feel you are rushed through your meal to finish your meal leave. Server does not pay attention to your table. Food portions were incredibly small (very unusual for any restaurant to have such small portion for lunch or dinner) and food was not that tasty at all; not all ingredients listed in the menu for a specific dish for example were served. I would not recommend it.
- Mediocre SreviceAlgourmetVIPDined on 8/12/2014I have not been to the restaurant for some time. I was there with two other people for lunch. The food was good but the pleasure was drained by the poor service. It took at least twenty minutes too long before anyone came to take our orders (the restaurant was not too busy). We had to ask for bread and water, were not offered a drink and various waiters came around each time adding to the confusion as no one identified him or herself as our waiter. Service mediocre, indifferent and aloof for a restaurant of this category and price. Waiters need to focus on clients and not on clearing tables and need to be better trained.
- Sadly disappointingLMDCDined on 8/11/2014We had been looking forward to going because it has been an established restaurant in the Washington area. Sadly it did not live up to reputation/expectation. Luckily we had a bargain with restaurant week but that doesn't mean food or service should be lacking. Entree was delivered lukewarm at best with portions being miniscule. Dessert was ok but my friend's was burnt. Service was sad when they left the wrong entrees with us for a few minutes. We were busy gabbing so we didn't touch it but hope they did not serve it to their intended guests. Parking is a crock there. Beware of the valet as the restaurant said one price when validated and the valet said another. We just chalked the whole night to the not to be in the disappointing column.
- Can't wait to returnChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 8/11/2014If Equinox performs this well and showcases such spectacular food during Restaurant Week, I can only imagine the experience Ill have with the regular menu. Chef Todd Gray & his wife Ellen run this establishment with grace, humility, & good taste regarding every aspect of the experience. The whitefish salad amuse bouche was heavenly, the wines BTG list is thoughtfully curated, & the attention to detail is impossible to overlook. One of DC's best restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Vegan Brunch!GoVegVIPDined on 8/10/2014Todd Gray changes up the brunch menu every week so it is always a delight to see what new dishes he has created. The fact that the Sunday brunch is 100 percent vegan is fabulous for those who are veggie but is almost beside the point. There is now a "scramble station" in addition to the variety of salads (fruit or green), a soup choice, french toast or similar, savory dishes you will marvel at, and an array of desserts. I will never figure out how they made the faux devilled eggs....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under the StarsNeighborDined on 8/8/2014We had a delightful dinner at Equinox on Friday night, sitting on the patio under the stars. The food was delicious -- especially the scallops and the rack of lamb! -- and the atmosphere made it feel like a special evening. Complimenting our dinner was a lovely Syrah, a very nice amuse buche and complimentary truffles after dessert. We'd been to Equinox long ago and it is still worth visiting.Special Features:
- Good service but that's itOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/7/2014Chef Grey must have been off for our visit as the food overall was mediocre except for the desserts. Also, many of the dishes were not served at the correct temperature or were undercooked ex. lamb chops ordered MR served extremely rare. However, our friendly and attentive waiter (Moses) and our quiet corner table made the evening pleasant enough. My wines were decanted and served as requested which we appreciated!
- Interesting vegan tasting menumvindcDined on 8/7/2014The vegan tasting menu is definitely worth trying, the food was expertly prepared and I was very impressed. My partner and I were significantly less impressed with the wine pairings, though. They rarely went well with the course--I'd say only 2 out of 5 pairings went well together, so you're probably better off skipping the suggested wine pairing and just splitting a bottle. The service was very good, and it was a great way to celebrate a special evening.Special Features:
- WineCustomerVIPDined on 8/4/2014Good wine list, but need good California's like BV Tapestry, Hewitt, Sterling Reserve.....Special Features:
- Great ExperienceMartywVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our meals were delicious beyond our expectations. Wonderful presentation! (The couple next to us were taking pictures of each course.) The service was exceptional. Definitely a keeper!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- above and beyondaveryDined on 7/29/2014when the drinks were brought one member said the drink was too sweet and not as expected. the waiter questioned the bar tender and he admitted he was out of one item and substituted another. drinks were comped for the table.Special Features:
- Trouble in paradiseRosyDined on 7/27/2014The food is lovely, but eating here is really difficult. First time our reservation was lost. This time Equinox had our reservation, but emailed us a City Eats service so we could make a reservation there instead. City Eats had different availability than open table. Curious. We tried to use a Travelzoo voucher at the base value (promo value expired), but the owner argued with us, finally gave in but treated us as if we were stealing from her - which we weren't. We called travelzoo and they confirmed our voucher still had the base value. Not coming back, too many other places to eat in DC that graciously accept groupons, travelzoo vouchers, and the like.Special Features:
- A Superb Dining Experience!SouthLAfoodieDined on 7/26/2014We had an incredible dinner experience! We were celebrating the birthday of my childhood best friend, and we could not have asked for more! From the moment we walked in the door, we were made to feel like the restaurant was celebrating right along with us. The amuse bouche was so tasty, our appetizers were scrumptious - above expectation - and the entrees were delicious and cooked perfectly! We couldn't have asked for much more, and then came the dessert… I'm not sure how one dreams of that many ways to cook cherries, but thank goodness for the chef's insight and creativity!! All of this, coupled with knowledgable and attentive service, made this a dining destination spot for us!! Thanks for a great birthday dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very High StandardProntomacVIPDined on 7/23/2014Todd Gray and his loyal staff operate an excellent restaurant that keeps up with the times. The menu is interesting and features the products of local farmers. The design of the restaurant is interesting as well--a more formal space inside, also a covered atrium and a real outside plaza. The bar is medium size with chairs and tables. You can dine simply here or have a very grand chef's menu. We especially like his high and pasta.Special Features:
- Amazing Vegan BrunchElaineDined on 7/20/2014I was a fan of the vegan brunch at Muse but am an even bigger fan now that it has moved to Equinox. I have taken my parents and my in laws, all four are meat eaters, here and they all loved it! They did not miss the meat, egg or dairy one bit. The food is that amazing. Todd and Ellen are also so personable and nice. Their presence and positive attitude make me want to visit even more often. Thank you for another wonderful dining experience!!Special Features:
- Amazing FoodDiningWkidsDined on 7/19/2014We ate here on a Saturday night around 7:30 pm. We were very suprised that the place was empty as the resturant came highly recommended. The food was fantastic! Fesh, seasonal selections that left us wanting more. The service was outstanding as well. My wife made it a point to tell the manager how much we were impressed by the wait staff. The drink menu matched the menu offering several seasonal cocktails that paired perfectly with our meal. We sat outside at a perfectly arranged seating area that allowed us to watch the evening fall to night. We had a wonderful time and will recommend Equinox to anyone who asks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place was empty, but it was earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/14/2014We had a very good meal in a quiet, comfortable booth. Good value. Happy with the experience and will be back, given how convenient the location is for us!Special Features:
- Outstanding Across The BoardNoelVIPDined on 7/13/2014With all the hype on new chefs and restaurants we need to remember why some of the established places deserve our full attention and support. Equinox provides superb food, outstanding service--thanks Randy, in a lovely ambience where you can have a conversation easily. The whitefish salad amuse bouche and truffled risotto croquettes were amazing, soft shell superb, halibut terrific, great bread. wine delicious. 4 Stars from us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food reviewfoodreviewDined on 7/12/2014Food was just mediocre. Would not go again. Service was good except for the hostess. She was just batty.Special Features:
- Dinner at EquinoxOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014My sister and I celebrated our birthday using a special deal. The staff was efficient, attentive and informed. The food was delicious and the atmosphere very friendly. Although the food was delicious the bread was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014This was my first visit at Equinox and I will return. Food, ambience and service was great. Scallops were tender and satisfying.Special Features:
- Service very slowpancakeVIPDined on 7/3/2014We went there for business lunch, and the service was SO slow. It took us almost 2 hours from start to finish. Food is great, of course, but this place is much better suited for leisurely lunch. Not a place to go if you need to get in and out in 90 minutes or less.
- First in an exciting lineNeighborVIPDined on 7/2/2014Now that DC's restaurant scene has taken shape as one of the most vibrant and exciting in the country, the role of Todd Grey and Equinox in making that happen is even clearer. This was one of the first to turn farm-fresh into gourmet dining. And rather than resting on its laurels Equinox gets better all the time. The great food combined with a friendly and competent staff make this one of the DC greats. (And the vegetable plate is not to be missed.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great.nixageDined on 7/1/2014I have to say that the food was definitely good with the exception of my girl-friend's Salmon. It was just bland and I jokingly said to her that it looked like there was ketchup on it. The sauce actually ended up tasting like hot ketchup. But the salmon was just not very flavorful in both of our opinion. My NY sirloin was very good and tasty, but a bit overcooked for the way I had asked (medium). Overall, the experience was good, but I don't think we'd go back. There was just nothing special about the food or the experience to warrant another visit.
- OUTSTANDING NW DC RESTAURANTMCLEAN22101Dined on 6/24/2014Equinox is an intimate NW DC restaurant open for lunch and dinner providing outstanding food with excellent service. The restaurant has an open sidewalk section which is very pleasant as well as an enclosed sidewalk section and an interior section. The bar is small and intimate. The menu selection is modest but each of the items is prepared with great care and is fit for foodies.Special Features:
- JuanjoVIPDined on 6/22/2014A very fine new discovery for me.. I will come back. Excellent food and service... and location...Special Features:
- Worth a return visit!AVeganFoodieDined on 6/21/2014We were looking for a fine dining restaurant that served vegan food and found Equinox. We were quite pleased with Chef Gray's Vegan Tasting multi-course meal. Each course was paired with a different wine. All dishes served, as well as the wine selections, were excellent! The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. My family and I highly recommend this restaurant and plan to return.Special Features:
- Incredible!SouthernFoodieDined on 6/21/2014Equinox was everything I thought it would be, and more. From the minute we walked in the door to the gracious farewell by the Chef de Cuisine (Colin McClimons), we enjoyed a 5-star experience. The duck was incredible, as was the chocolate torte. Beautiful wine pairings recommended by a very knowledgeable staff, who catered to our every need. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food exceeds the serviceBasherlondonDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I had a great dinner at Equinox. The food was really interesting and inventive, we chose the tasting menu with matched wines. However, the overall experience was let down by front of house staff, we were served by several different people and so they lost track of whether we were drinking sparkling or tap water, what course we were on, my husband is left-handed and they kept putting the cutlery the wrong way around etc. No one asked us about our experience they just kept bringing out dishes. So food great but need top notch staff to move this restaurant to the next level.Special Features:
- overpriced for the food & serviceJBDCDined on 6/20/2014The cheese plate was very good, but then things went downhill. My friend had a pasta dish that was basic and not very tasty. I had the halibut - also bland. Both dishes were somewhat cold. The waiter, who may have been overwhelmed) forgot about us and it took too long to get the main course, then the check.
- A nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/18/2014A nice restaurant located in a business area in downtown DC. Good place for a power lunch or dinner and special occasions. The decor is modern and understated. Service is stellar and the food is very good. We first dined on a compliments of the chef beef tartar, which was excellent. We split the Shaved Fennel and Cucumber Salad with Salanova Lettuce, which was plenty for two and very good. The diver scallops with baby squash was excellent but found the shrimp toast a bit much for the already rich dish. The duck was good but over cooked for our liking. We had asked for medium rare and it was on the other side of medium. Dessert...oh...dessert. They saved the best for last. The Meyer Lemon “Posset” is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.