Equinox - DC
818 Connecticut Ave
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Equinox - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.equinoxrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 331-8118
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm
Please note that Equinox will be closed the following Sundays in August: 8/19, 8/26. We will also be closed the first Sunday in September, 9/2.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Gray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering: Equinox offers catering for all types of events.
- Private Party Facilities: Equinox can provide an artfully designed and relaxed environment for you to host your next function for parties of 12 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Kassoff Gray/Chelsea Zinkgraf 2023318118
- Special Events: Please call Ellen Kassoff Gray or Chelsea Zinkgraf at 202.331.8118 for more details or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Equinox - DC
Please come join Todd & Ellen Gray and the Equinox staff to delight in some of the seasons best flavors from the mid-atlantic region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Equinox - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)special occasion (76)romantic (35)notable wine list (27)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (25)great for lunch (21)good for groups (17)great for brunch (16)hot spot (9)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Vegan Paradise at EquinoxOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014For the second year, I chose to celebrate my birthday by taking friends to chef Todd Gray's vegan buffet brunch (last year it was still at the Corcoran). It's quite expensive, so I waited for a special occasion, and it was worth the wait! The food was delicious, and even my non-vegan friends raved about it. There were so many options and we were so full by the end. My favorite was the pear french toast. The service was great, everyone was so kind, and the chef came to chat with us. There was even calm live music in the background to make the ambiance even more special. This proves that you don't need to involve animal products in order to have a memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I took a date to this restaurant on a Saturday evening and we had a pleasant time. The atmosphere was perfect for an intimate dinner, and the food was pretty good. The service was impeccable and the drinks well-made. For an appetizer we ordered Truffled Risotto Fritters which were tasty, but needed a touch more "Truffle" flavor. The wine list was interesting, but nothing jumped out at me, so we ordered a couple of cocktails. For dinner my date ordered a Scallops & Gnocchi special which was amazing, and I ordered Egg Yolk Pappardelle with Fennel Sausage Bolognese, which was... Ok. A good mix of flavors, but it didn't stand out other than being "gluten free". Dessert cocktails and the Tiramisu were an excellent combo. Overall, we had a great time, and I recommend it to just about anyone. Some who may be very "value-conscious" may have an issue w/ the pricing, but I didn't think it was too far out of line for the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations issueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/18/2014I made a reservation for my boss on the 18th at 12:00 and received a confirmation email as well as a call confirming the time. The day before I moved the reservation to 12:30 and called the day of and confirmed it but when my boss and his party arrived at Equinox they said that they did not have a reservation for him which was very frustrating and an awkward position for them to be in. Wanted to bring this to your attention.Special Features:
- Not exceptionalHappy1Dined on 11/14/2014I had some very nice meals at Equinox but of late the quality has gone down hill. Service was not what one would expect at a quality restaurant. Our rabbit entree was dry and the other entrees were not exceptional. Pleasant, quiet setting with mediocre food.
- Great BrunchkmacVIPDined on 11/9/2014The Sunday brunch was very good and a surprise. I found out afterwards that it was a vegan brunch. It put a smile on this carnivore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014The food, the ambience and the service were exceptional. It's worth the splurge to have the pasta with truffles and do not miss the truffle chestnut soup. Highly, highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet Sunday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/2/2014With Congress not in session, the evening was quiet and peaceful. Food was quite good, Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Just plain good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/2/2014Food was excellent and service was impeccable! Overall, a very good experience! Would recommend to friends and family.Special Features:
- Great Vegan Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2014I had the vegan tasting menu, and it was fantastic. I loved the white bean soup. I look forward to coming back for vegan brunch.Special Features:
- Vegan Brunch on Sunday-Wonderful1veggirlDined on 10/26/2014Thank you for offering the vegan brunch and we will be sure to return. Each dish was a delight. I particularly liked the Israeli couscous I appreciate that the enclosed patio area we were sitting in was not noisy. I've had enough of restaurants where you can't hear the person sitting directly across from you the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equinox is a delight!leniVIPDined on 10/25/2014Equinox is not a restaurant one usually thinks of for pre theater, but we love it for that purpose. Parking is easy in the 5:30 time frame on weekends; service is not harried and so you receive excellent attention and the noise level is most pleasantly quiet. To top that off, the food is excellent. Don't miss the escargot done is a Bordeaux cream sauce - YUMM - with LOTS of escargot. The pear and micro greens salad was equally good with a delightful slightly sharp mustardy vinaigrette. Wines by the glass are well priced and delicious. the wait staff were very cognizant of our theater commitment and served accordingly - though not rushed. I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Work on ServiceJasonVIPDined on 10/24/2014The food was elegantly presented and was good overall. However, I had to ask and send back two dishes as they contained items with gluten. My reservation clearly noted a gluten allergy and I informed the server immediately upon arriving. Also, we were seated at the table for at least 8-10 minutes before we were offered water or anything to drink. For the price and atmosphere, I expected greater attention to detail. Lastly, I received a note from Opentable stating the restaurant did not check me in either, so I was required to go through the review process to resolve the issue.
- Loved our meal- tastings menu.hmbillDined on 10/24/2014My wife did the Vegan and I did the regular tasting- both were excellent! The meal was very well paced and not rushed, and the wines paired very well with the dishes. It is such a treat to not have to try and pick dishes that complement each other and are not too much food, instead letting the chef do the work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/19/2014Yes it's vegan but great for all Each dish is another great surpriseSpecial Features:
- KokasforeverKokasforeverDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed the beet salad and delicious seared scallops.Special Features:
- Healthy, interesting, deliciousNeighborVIPDined on 10/15/2014I love this restaurant for many reasons, especially for Chef Todd Gray's brilliance with vegetables and vegetarian dishes. The servers are attentive and accommodating, and the food is great for foodies and real people alike. Todd Gray made a nice appearance to shave a truffle during my last visit.... very special.Special Features:
- luv2lunchDined on 10/8/2014always a delightful experience, very good food and environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- floydingDined on 10/4/2014Equinox had delicious food, we did the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- anonDined on 10/3/2014The burger was very good. As was the iced tea with pom -- pomegranate juice, evidently -- named the Tiger Woods. A nice change from an Arnold Palmer! Service was attentive and discreet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not a great experienceMDMWrigleyDined on 10/1/2014We went for dinner. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere. The menu has fantastic sounding items, it was hard to choose. The problems were related to the experience. We had tables on either side of us that met the chef. He was nice, but this is bit of a distraction. Those tables were high maintenance. Our waitress peddled the chefs cookbook to us. We're in Washington DC x 48 hours & not had anyone on street panhandle us until we step into a fine dining restaurant! She could have mentioned cookbook & asked if we want to see it. She gave us copy to look at & then spoke about it at length. Long wait between courses & long wait for ck. If you want really great food, but possibly pretentious & slow service, then this is your place.Special Features:
- Vegan tasting menuDesnaDCVIPDined on 9/30/2014This is the only restaurant that I know of in the DC area offering a vegan tasting menu. The food was spectacular. My favorite was the butternut and kabocha squash soup and the caponata. I highly recommend ordering the tasting menu even if you are not vegan. I also had the wine parings which I thought was just so-so. We asked to sit outside but were told no, it is not clear to me why this was the case. The restaurant was not busy and there were empty tables. We sat next to a curtain which kept moving - very irritating. We ordered predinner cocktails which took an extra ordinary amount of time to be served. This is an expensive place and I expected better. In spite of this, we will be back.Special Features:
- Vegan BrunchKPDCDined on 9/28/2014Todd Gray's vegan brunch is phenomenal - mix of healthy grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. It's creative and light! I can't wait to go back again as the menu changes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing - Absolutely Worth Going!eenglesVIPDined on 9/27/2014My partner and I celebrated his birthday at Equinox on Saturday night. While we have been there before and always have had a wonderful experience, Saturday night will stand out as truly a special evening. We both did the Chef's tasting menu, which I would highly recommend. There was also a vegan menu that looked delightful. Our dinner consisted of one of the most fabulous polenta cakes with a mushroom ragu that I've ever tasted, a crab bisque-like soup that was the best crab soup (being from MD!) on record, a saffron rissotto with perfectly done scallop and finally a ny strip with homemade ravoli. It was closed off with a delicious chocolate creation from the chef. The ambiance and service were TOP notch. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousDisappointedVIPDined on 9/22/2014Good service, best chicken salad. I'll always come back for it.
- Equinoxfoodie4funDined on 9/20/2014Food was subpar. Steaks were overcooked and tough. Quinoa was over-salted and had only a bare minimum of vegetables. Scallops were reportedly good. Took 45 minutes from time we finished appetizer to receive entrees. At a cost (without coupon) of approximately $423 for this meal for four with four cocktails, two beers, two appetizers, four entrees, and two desserts - felt the value was definitely not met. Cocktails were excellent. Ambiance was great. But expected far more given a James Beard finalist reputation and cost. Will not return. Wish we had a better review.
- Pricey, but great food & servicemysterydinerDined on 9/18/2014We made last minute reservations on a whim while running errands in DC after work. The prices were a bit steep, however the service and food were excellent. The only reason the ambiance didn't get five stars is that there was some beer tasting function going on the patio and with the windows open the noise level was a bit loud and boisterous.Special Features:
- frankie64Dined on 9/18/2014The covered porch area is the nicer place to sit, it looks a lot more inviting than the inside tables, but the food was awesome. A little expensive but high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!FoodieDined on 9/15/2014I got to Equinox a little early and grabbed a seat at the bar. The bar tender was extremely helpful deciding what wine to order. Once I was seated I was thrilled with the service. Everyone was extremely attentive including the very vivacious hostess! Even Chef Colin came to my table to ask how my dining experience was! The food was absolutely to die for!!! Such well conceptualized dishes, so well executed, and sooooo flavorful! I will keep going back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBudman3VIPDined on 9/15/2014Wonderful food and great service!Would go out of my way to go backSpecial Features:
- Lived up to reputationDeniseDined on 9/15/2014When a friend reached out to invite me to dinner, I thought I would finally try Equinox since I had heard so much about it. We were definitely very pleased and planning to go back this weekend. The co-owner, Ellen Gray was at the front door to welcome in the customers and provide that extra attention and service. The food was excellent and Johnny, the bartender makes some great drinks. Looking forward to my return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodTmo2013VIPDined on 9/14/2014Try the tilefish or the rabbit is a must try. Service was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for vegans and carnivoresOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014as the only vegan in the mailymainly, it is always hard to pick a restaurant for special occasions. Either iI end up eating plain steamed veggies at a steak place or they end up complaining about eating fake meatat a vegan place. Equinox is now our solution! The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The food was fresh and flavorful. The steak (according to the others) melted in your mouth and the rabbit wrapped in bacon was great an "not at all game-y". I had at least one delish vegan option for each course. To top it all off, it wasn't too pricey given the service and food. We got out of there for less than $100 per person for a 3-course meal where 2/3s of us had a glass of wine with each course (also really good). Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegan Brunch!chatandchaiDined on 9/14/2014It was a delicious vegan brunch buffet, with a wonderful spread of healthy to decadent. We walked away feeling full, energetic, and hopeful for more brunch experiences like what we had at Equinox- Todd Gray's vegan brunch.Special Features:
- Great meal with friendsRobfromWVDined on 9/13/2014Had a wonderful meal with old friends. Didn't feel rushed. I had the duck and my wife the NY Strip. Perfectly prepared. Had a very nice Cab. Reasonably priced. Chef Todd Gray stopped by the table and signed a copy of his new cookbook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't Stand OutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Equinox was a fine, although nothing particularly stood out. The food sounds interesting and delicious, but in practice is a bit disappointing. Dessert was WAY overpriced for the portion size.
- Nice MealCliftonGalVIPDined on 9/11/2014My husband and I had been wanting to try Equinox. We were pleased with the service and food. I had the Sea Scallop and White Shrimp Agnolotti with Littleneck Clams - which was a bit heavy, but tasty. He had Rabbit which he said was excellent. We split the Truffled Risotto Fritters and Chocolate Torte. Both were also excellent. I would recommend the restaurant and we will plan to go back again. We went on a week night and the atmosphere was nice and not noisy.Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014This was our last night in DC. We had traveled for business and brought our two (well behaved) kids. We got the price fixe menu with wine accompaniment (and the lobster Mac n cheese for our kids). It was lovely - fresh ingredients, subtle flavors, well paired, couldn't have asked for more. All we could have asked for. Well worth the trip (and price).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DisappointmentDivaDined on 9/6/2014We looked forward to going to Equinox for such a long time and finally were able to go to this special (and expensive!) restaurant. But when we left, we agreed that it was a "B" experience. The best dish by far, was the escargot appetizer, which is awesome - not made in the traditional fashion, and just mouth watering. The lamb chops and scallops were pretty good but the side dishes very uninteresting. The Jerusalem artichokes were downright bad. The dessert was good but not inspiring. And though our waitress was pleasant, the service staff were in a frenetic pace around the room the whole time, putting one dish after another in front of you without a breather. You felt like they couldn't wait for you to leave. Disappointing.
- Expected moreScottDined on 9/6/2014Maybe we didn't order well, but Equinox didn't live up to expectations. The risotto fritters came with a white sauce that didn't really work. My fish came with "braised artichokes" that were so fibrous that I gave up after the third wad of unchewable mass in my mouth. The scallops were fine. My glass of chardonnay was great, but my partner's reisling was unexpectedly acidic with sour notes. The dessert, an apple feuilletee with cinnamon ice cream, was amazing, but it didn't really redeem the rest of the meal, which was middling overall. I'd thought about going here for years and hadn't. That probably was the right trend to continue.
- A Solid StandardProntomacVIPDined on 9/5/2014EQUINOX and its talented Chef Todd Gray make for a very solid evening of dining. This is a place where it is always good to ask what is fresh in the kitchen, and the result will not be disappointing. They now have a modified Happy Hour with quite a fine variety of well priced small plates and very decent wines. I think Equinox is especially good for seafood and pasta--Chef has a magical touch with pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.