Equinox - DC
818 Connecticut Ave
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Equinox - DC
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.equinoxrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2023318118
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm
Please note that Equinox will be closed the following Sundays in August: 8/19, 8/26. We will also be closed the first Sunday in September, 9/2.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Gray
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering: Equinox offers catering for all types of events.
- Private Party Facilities: Equinox can provide an artfully designed and relaxed environment for you to host your next function for parties of 12 or more.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Kassoff Gray/Chelsea Zinkgraf 2023318118
- Special Events: Please call Ellen Kassoff Gray or Chelsea Zinkgraf at 202.331.8118 for more details or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Equinox - DC
Please come join Todd & Ellen Gray and the Equinox staff to delight in some of the seasons best flavors from the mid-atlantic region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Equinox - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)special occasion (81)romantic (44)notable wine list (37)great for lunch (34)neighborhood gem (33)great for outdoor dining (33)great for brunch (16)good for groups (16)hot spot (11)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (5)Show More
- Vegan BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Todd Gray's vegan brunch is phenomenal - mix of healthy grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. It's creative and light! I can't wait to go back again as the menu changes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing - Absolutely Worth Going!eenglesVIPDined on 9/27/2014My partner and I celebrated his birthday at Equinox on Saturday night. While we have been there before and always have had a wonderful experience, Saturday night will stand out as truly a special evening. We both did the Chef's tasting menu, which I would highly recommend. There was also a vegan menu that looked delightful. Our dinner consisted of one of the most fabulous polenta cakes with a mushroom ragu that I've ever tasted, a crab bisque-like soup that was the best crab soup (being from MD!) on record, a saffron rissotto with perfectly done scallop and finally a ny strip with homemade ravoli. It was closed off with a delicious chocolate creation from the chef. The ambiance and service were TOP notch. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousDisappointedVIPDined on 9/22/2014Good service, best chicken salad. I'll always come back for it.
- Equinoxfoodie4funDined on 9/20/2014Food was subpar. Steaks were overcooked and tough. Quinoa was over-salted and had only a bare minimum of vegetables. Scallops were reportedly good. Took 45 minutes from time we finished appetizer to receive entrees. At a cost (without coupon) of approximately $423 for this meal for four with four cocktails, two beers, two appetizers, four entrees, and two desserts - felt the value was definitely not met. Cocktails were excellent. Ambiance was great. But expected far more given a James Beard finalist reputation and cost. Will not return. Wish we had a better review.
- Pricey, but great food & servicemysterydinerDined on 9/18/2014We made last minute reservations on a whim while running errands in DC after work. The prices were a bit steep, however the service and food were excellent. The only reason the ambiance didn't get five stars is that there was some beer tasting function going on the patio and with the windows open the noise level was a bit loud and boisterous.Special Features:
- frankie64Dined on 9/18/2014The covered porch area is the nicer place to sit, it looks a lot more inviting than the inside tables, but the food was awesome. A little expensive but high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!FoodieDined on 9/15/2014I got to Equinox a little early and grabbed a seat at the bar. The bar tender was extremely helpful deciding what wine to order. Once I was seated I was thrilled with the service. Everyone was extremely attentive including the very vivacious hostess! Even Chef Colin came to my table to ask how my dining experience was! The food was absolutely to die for!!! Such well conceptualized dishes, so well executed, and sooooo flavorful! I will keep going back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBudman3VIPDined on 9/15/2014Wonderful food and great service!Would go out of my way to go backSpecial Features:
- Lived up to reputationDeniseDined on 9/15/2014When a friend reached out to invite me to dinner, I thought I would finally try Equinox since I had heard so much about it. We were definitely very pleased and planning to go back this weekend. The co-owner, Ellen Gray was at the front door to welcome in the customers and provide that extra attention and service. The food was excellent and Johnny, the bartender makes some great drinks. Looking forward to my return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodTmo2013VIPDined on 9/14/2014Try the tilefish or the rabbit is a must try. Service was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous for vegans and carnivoresOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2014as the only vegan in the mailymainly, it is always hard to pick a restaurant for special occasions. Either iI end up eating plain steamed veggies at a steak place or they end up complaining about eating fake meatat a vegan place. Equinox is now our solution! The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The food was fresh and flavorful. The steak (according to the others) melted in your mouth and the rabbit wrapped in bacon was great an "not at all game-y". I had at least one delish vegan option for each course. To top it all off, it wasn't too pricey given the service and food. We got out of there for less than $100 per person for a 3-course meal where 2/3s of us had a glass of wine with each course (also really good). Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegan Brunch!chatandchaiDined on 9/14/2014It was a delicious vegan brunch buffet, with a wonderful spread of healthy to decadent. We walked away feeling full, energetic, and hopeful for more brunch experiences like what we had at Equinox- Todd Gray's vegan brunch.Special Features:
- Great meal with friendsRobfromWVDined on 9/13/2014Had a wonderful meal with old friends. Didn't feel rushed. I had the duck and my wife the NY Strip. Perfectly prepared. Had a very nice Cab. Reasonably priced. Chef Todd Gray stopped by the table and signed a copy of his new cookbook.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't Stand OutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Equinox was a fine, although nothing particularly stood out. The food sounds interesting and delicious, but in practice is a bit disappointing. Dessert was WAY overpriced for the portion size.
- Nice MealCliftonGalVIPDined on 9/11/2014My husband and I had been wanting to try Equinox. We were pleased with the service and food. I had the Sea Scallop and White Shrimp Agnolotti with Littleneck Clams - which was a bit heavy, but tasty. He had Rabbit which he said was excellent. We split the Truffled Risotto Fritters and Chocolate Torte. Both were also excellent. I would recommend the restaurant and we will plan to go back again. We went on a week night and the atmosphere was nice and not noisy.Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014This was our last night in DC. We had traveled for business and brought our two (well behaved) kids. We got the price fixe menu with wine accompaniment (and the lobster Mac n cheese for our kids). It was lovely - fresh ingredients, subtle flavors, well paired, couldn't have asked for more. All we could have asked for. Well worth the trip (and price).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DisappointmentDivaDined on 9/6/2014We looked forward to going to Equinox for such a long time and finally were able to go to this special (and expensive!) restaurant. But when we left, we agreed that it was a "B" experience. The best dish by far, was the escargot appetizer, which is awesome - not made in the traditional fashion, and just mouth watering. The lamb chops and scallops were pretty good but the side dishes very uninteresting. The Jerusalem artichokes were downright bad. The dessert was good but not inspiring. And though our waitress was pleasant, the service staff were in a frenetic pace around the room the whole time, putting one dish after another in front of you without a breather. You felt like they couldn't wait for you to leave. Disappointing.
- Expected moreScottDined on 9/6/2014Maybe we didn't order well, but Equinox didn't live up to expectations. The risotto fritters came with a white sauce that didn't really work. My fish came with "braised artichokes" that were so fibrous that I gave up after the third wad of unchewable mass in my mouth. The scallops were fine. My glass of chardonnay was great, but my partner's reisling was unexpectedly acidic with sour notes. The dessert, an apple feuilletee with cinnamon ice cream, was amazing, but it didn't really redeem the rest of the meal, which was middling overall. I'd thought about going here for years and hadn't. That probably was the right trend to continue.
- A Solid StandardProntomacVIPDined on 9/5/2014EQUINOX and its talented Chef Todd Gray make for a very solid evening of dining. This is a place where it is always good to ask what is fresh in the kitchen, and the result will not be disappointing. They now have a modified Happy Hour with quite a fine variety of well priced small plates and very decent wines. I think Equinox is especially good for seafood and pasta--Chef has a magical touch with pasta!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place for lunch conversationAJinDCVIPDined on 9/5/2014I was at Equinox for a casual business lunch. So I liked a relatively low noise level that allowed for good conversation. The food was great - good portion and great taste. I had the grilled BBQ Carolina white shrimp. Although there are not many choices on th menu but the restaurant offers a good variety. May try the steak and wine next time. The service was friendly although the server might not have made recommendations, had I not asked first.Special Features:
- Very Enjoyable DinnerDandGDined on 9/4/2014Really enjoyed occasion. Drove from from Delaware and used Metro to Equinox. Very convenient location, very nice ambiance, very knowledgeable staff . Dinner was great! Plan to go again next time in areaSpecial Features:
- Out with FriendsSometimesDined on 8/30/2014The best items we had were the bread and the apple dessert. One person ordered the scallops, which he did enjoy. Two of us ordered the NY Strip, which was average. It didn't melt in your mouth! We expected that. The fourth person ordered the duck which he felt was extremely bland. Portions were small and service was average.
- A bit bummedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Was looking forward to this dinner and ended up totally overwhelmed. Had a great wine and loved the bread, but I ordered the duck and honestly should have sent it back to the kitchen. Totally undercooked and none of the fat was rendered. That aside, the whole dish just had too many disparate items. Duck with chanterell mushrooms - good. Add onion rings on top, garlic croutons, and corn with bell peppers = not so good. Besides the fact that I'm allergic to bell peppers and they weren't listed on the menu as an ingredient in the dish. My boyfriend was similarly disappointed with his cobia dish.
- liked oit very much!!!deson1VIPDined on 8/22/2014i was very pleased with my experience..will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Try itellieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Every dish was excellent tried 4 different ones. Service excellent dessert very tasty. Wine choices also nice. Ambiance is good. Location off metro.Special Features:
- Good choice for visitingSatisfiedDinerDined on 8/17/2014We were there for Restaurant week and the choices were limited, and the food okay but not outstanding. Service was excelloent and atmosphere very conducive to being able to make conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Across the BoardScubaDined on 8/17/2014I went here for Restaurant Week as I wanted to try a new place. I randomly came across the menu and everything looked interesting. My girlfriend and I decided to start with the Gratin of Mussels and the Shrimp Panzanella. Both were delicious and full of flavor. For the entrees, we selected the Salmon Filet and the Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin. The salmon was cooked perfectly, as was the tenderloin. The bacon outside added to the flavor without dominating the dish. We wrapped up our meal with the Panna Cotta and the Chocolate Torte, both of which were sweet but not overwhelming. To accompany our dishes, we selected the wine pairing option. We were pleased with each choice. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Too much seasoningMarelwynneVIPDined on 8/17/2014Out of three choices for the first course I chose the shrimp panzanella salad. While the shrimp panzanella had fresh ingredients the old bay seasoning and smoke flavors overpowered the little salad. My husbands gazpacho was a winner! So fresh and fabulous. Wish I had ordered that choice. My pork entree again had smoke flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan Sunday Brunch a real hit!thankGodforfoodDined on 8/17/2014I'm not vegan, but I love vegetables and wanted to see how the Chef would handle a full brunch spread with no animal products. He did it - it was wonderful - soup through dessert, very filling and you can feel good about eating heartily since everything was healthy, inventively prepared, and very tasty. The staff was so professional and cordial - not the bouncy, over-familiar TGIF style - but old fashioned in their concern that you have everything you need, that you are enjoying the food, and they neither hover over you nor rush you. Best dining experience I've had in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent VisitmeandherDined on 8/16/2014The service was excellent. The wait staff was friendly and helpful. The food was very good. The lamb was excellent. As a matter of fact my wife and I had an excellent evening celebrating our anniversary. We have been to equinox several times and have found it to be consistently good. I recommend it for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 247FoodieDined on 8/13/2014A party of 3 came for dinner during restaurant week. My first time dining at this restaurant. For appetizers, we ordered salad and gazpacho. Both very good. For entrees, we ordered salmon and pork tenderloin. They were both fabulous. The portions for appetizers and entrees were just right. For dessert, we ordered the coconut cake (Vegan). We all thought the cake was average in taste and the portion a tad too small. Service was very good all around though not outstanding. Restaurant has a nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingfoodVIPDined on 8/12/2014reviews were very good so we decided to go to Equinox. We were so disappointed. Service was mediocre, you feel you are rushed through your meal to finish your meal leave. Server does not pay attention to your table. Food portions were incredibly small (very unusual for any restaurant to have such small portion for lunch or dinner) and food was not that tasty at all; not all ingredients listed in the menu for a specific dish for example were served. I would not recommend it.
- Mediocre SreviceAlgourmetVIPDined on 8/12/2014I have not been to the restaurant for some time. I was there with two other people for lunch. The food was good but the pleasure was drained by the poor service. It took at least twenty minutes too long before anyone came to take our orders (the restaurant was not too busy). We had to ask for bread and water, were not offered a drink and various waiters came around each time adding to the confusion as no one identified him or herself as our waiter. Service mediocre, indifferent and aloof for a restaurant of this category and price. Waiters need to focus on clients and not on clearing tables and need to be better trained.
- Sadly disappointingLMDCDined on 8/11/2014We had been looking forward to going because it has been an established restaurant in the Washington area. Sadly it did not live up to reputation/expectation. Luckily we had a bargain with restaurant week but that doesn't mean food or service should be lacking. Entree was delivered lukewarm at best with portions being miniscule. Dessert was ok but my friend's was burnt. Service was sad when they left the wrong entrees with us for a few minutes. We were busy gabbing so we didn't touch it but hope they did not serve it to their intended guests. Parking is a crock there. Beware of the valet as the restaurant said one price when validated and the valet said another. We just chalked the whole night to the not to be in the disappointing column.
- Can't wait to returnChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 8/11/2014If Equinox performs this well and showcases such spectacular food during Restaurant Week, I can only imagine the experience Ill have with the regular menu. Chef Todd Gray & his wife Ellen run this establishment with grace, humility, & good taste regarding every aspect of the experience. The whitefish salad amuse bouche was heavenly, the wines BTG list is thoughtfully curated, & the attention to detail is impossible to overlook. One of DC's best restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Vegan Brunch!GoVegVIPDined on 8/10/2014Todd Gray changes up the brunch menu every week so it is always a delight to see what new dishes he has created. The fact that the Sunday brunch is 100 percent vegan is fabulous for those who are veggie but is almost beside the point. There is now a "scramble station" in addition to the variety of salads (fruit or green), a soup choice, french toast or similar, savory dishes you will marvel at, and an array of desserts. I will never figure out how they made the faux devilled eggs....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under the StarsNeighborDined on 8/8/2014We had a delightful dinner at Equinox on Friday night, sitting on the patio under the stars. The food was delicious -- especially the scallops and the rack of lamb! -- and the atmosphere made it feel like a special evening. Complimenting our dinner was a lovely Syrah, a very nice amuse buche and complimentary truffles after dessert. We'd been to Equinox long ago and it is still worth visiting.Special Features:
- Good service but that's itOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/7/2014Chef Grey must have been off for our visit as the food overall was mediocre except for the desserts. Also, many of the dishes were not served at the correct temperature or were undercooked ex. lamb chops ordered MR served extremely rare. However, our friendly and attentive waiter (Moses) and our quiet corner table made the evening pleasant enough. My wines were decanted and served as requested which we appreciated!
- Interesting vegan tasting menumvindcDined on 8/7/2014The vegan tasting menu is definitely worth trying, the food was expertly prepared and I was very impressed. My partner and I were significantly less impressed with the wine pairings, though. They rarely went well with the course--I'd say only 2 out of 5 pairings went well together, so you're probably better off skipping the suggested wine pairing and just splitting a bottle. The service was very good, and it was a great way to celebrate a special evening.Special Features:
- WineCustomerVIPDined on 8/4/2014Good wine list, but need good California's like BV Tapestry, Hewitt, Sterling Reserve.....Special Features: