Epoch at The Exeter Inn
Two Pine Street
Exeter, NH 03833Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Epoch at The Exeter Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.epochrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6037725901
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Mon- Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, International
- Executive Chef: Peter Agostinelli
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Onsite and offsite available call catering office at 603-772-5901 ext 406
- Private Party Facilities: For parties of 10 or more call to find out about our 5 private rooms for group of 10 to 130
- Private Party Contact: Shannon Cote 6037725901x406
- Special Events: Every day is a special event at Epoch. Whether your staying in house and joining us for breakfast or bringing a group for dinner on our patio. Please allow us to treat you with our farm to table menu and hosted events: wine dinners, private parties and and entertainment outdoors on the patio. Our Sunday brunch is a local favorite with a specialty Bloody Mary menu and seasonal menu.
A word from Epoch at The Exeter Inn
We welcome you to Epoch Restaurant and Bar located in Exeter NH. Join us for casually elegant dining featuring the freshest seacoast of New Hampshire products creatively presented. Our award winning kitchen staff takes great pride in serving only the most exquisite food to our guests. Come try this new creative restaurant with great service and outstanding food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Epoch at The Exeter Inn - Best Restaurants in Exeter, NH ›
Epoch at The Exeter Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (13)romantic (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for brunch (6)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Perfect brunch spotBrenKrisDined on 9/7/2014Epoch has a beautiful outdoor seating area perfect for a beautiful Sunday brunch. Food was delicious and a good variety of choices for each type of meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and LocalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014The Epoch is a very good local restaurant, reasonably priced and open Monday! I think the staff could do with some training (being more attentive without being intrusive) which should be expected of a nice restaurant. However, the food was well prepared and appealing both visually and in its taste.Special Features:
- Very niceJimmy61Dined on 8/23/2014Nice dinner out. The server was very knowledgable and helpful explaining menu options and making recs. the one thing I think could be improved is lighting. Much too bright. Food was delicious and fresh. Overall a wonderful dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!Ittybritty26Dined on 8/11/2014We had our wedding at the Exeter Inn in 2012, and have gone back for both our first and second anniversary dinners. Epoch has yet to disappoint. The drinks, service, and food were all excellent. The crab cakes are great. My husband had steak, which was very tender and flavorful. I had scallops, which were flavorful and not gritty like they can often be. The chocolate torte was delicious as well. I'm sure we will be back for many more anniversaries to come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningMGM3841Dined on 8/10/2014The Exeter has redone Epoch since I was there last. It is far more family friendly and casual than when I was last there many years ago. This was a family evening and we were delighted by the choice on the menu which suited our teenage grandson and our steak loving son. My husband and I both had fish dishes that were nicely prepared and perfectly cooked. Service was friendly and not overwhelming. I will say I had the best martini ever at the bar and would go back just to have another!Special Features:
- Just OKRedfranVIPDined on 8/4/2014The food at Epoch was just OK...nothing special. It was disappointing since we ate on the terrace in a lovely garden. The food truly did not live up to the delightful environment.Special Features:
- Excellent everything!!DiningoutBillDined on 8/4/2014Great food and superb service from our wait person. My only critique would be that the portions are rather large and perhaps that could be explained a bit more prior to new customers ordering. Great stuff but way too much for some of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better...returnerVIPDined on 8/2/2014...than ever. Service is more knowledgeable (e.g., in describing beers and ales on draft). Cooking is more subtle. True, prices have gone up. But the experience (food and room) are worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!RobbieDined on 7/26/2014This was our first time at Epoch and didn't know what to expect. EVERYTHING was perfect! The decor, cleanliness, quality of food and service. We will definitely return with friends to share an exception experience.Special Features:
- Third visit a charmEpidineVIPDined on 7/23/2014Great new menu. Like the half-portions and variety. Bread and the food was very good. Chocolate panna cotta is excellent.Special Features:
- Interesting choicesfromCTDined on 7/12/2014Enjoyed the seafood-heavy menu recently, with great salads and specials, attentive service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed BrunchFussyVIPDined on 7/6/2014Sitting in the shade having excellent bloody marys, not rushed, and good food although sort of same old, same old brunch items. A big salad without beef would be a good addition to the carb heavy menu.Special Features:
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014The food was great, atmosphere was very nice.( we had a view of a wedding taking place, Which was nice to see. The Service was slow, and every guestion we asked our waitress could not answer our guestions and had to go ask someone. But the staff was nice and friendly. For dinner at 7pm there was very few people in the restaurant. But overall we enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet,good service & quality meatsCathyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Greatly improved service. Good quality meat, prepared well. Unfortunately all of both our main courses (steaks with potatoes and caponata) were heavily over-salted. A gazpacho with spicy poblano was excellent and thankfully not too salty. It had been a while since we had been too Epoch as the food is too salty for us and found the menu much more limited in choices than it had been.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014The food and service were outstanding!! Nice atmosphere and quiet. The night before I was at a restaurant where I couldn't hear the person across from me. There were three people in our party and we were all impressed. There wasn't a speck of food left on the plate. I especially liked the fact that you could choose the size of your salad and entrée. Portions were very good even on the smaller plates.Special Features:
- The following 298 reviews are from the Epoch at The Exeter Inn reviews archive.
- Food very good, Service SlowBoscDined on 4/30/2014The open table reservations were awesome. The calamari app crunchy and spicy and was out very fast. After we put in our orders the food came out very quickly. The Grilled Swiss Chard was awesome but Steak Au Poivre tough and hard to chew but great flavor, presentation and spices. My mates loved duck (slightly overcooked) tuna (absolutely the best) and daily special pork chop (also the best). But, the waitress did not come back to take our order for 25 minutes after she brought our drinks. Then after we were done with dinner, plates clean, we sat at least 1/2 hour waiting for her to come and clear the dirty dishes and bring us the check. Believe me I had my credit card out when she stopped by because I couldn't take siSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantEK64VIPDined on 4/18/2014Under new management, the restaurant and hotel have stepped up a couple of notches in terms of service. Great place to visit when in town for Academy business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely space at the Exeter inn.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014Atmosphere was busy(restaurant wk) servers harried and food uneven.
- My wife and I went to ExeterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014My wife and I went to Exeter NH for the weekend; late check in and we thought we would "play it safe" and eat in the hotel restaurant--glad we did! Food was fantastic and the service was extremely friendly, courteous, and professional. We came back the second night for appetizers in the lounge and once again were treated to great service and marvelous food. Ahi tuna was seared to perfection, the pork shank was butter tender. Flavors were perfect. Even the drinks in the bar were excellent; made with fresh fruit and full flavored. We would definitely stop here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NIce night out with great foodgendreau603Dined on 2/25/2014We had a lovely time at Epoch. It was a very slow night (Tuesday) possibly due to school vacation, but we were treated extremely well by the server as well as the host/manager. Our son said that it was very possibly the best steak au poivre that he'd ever had and that seems to be his go-to meal when dining out. The scallops with cherries was unique and tasty. My only suggestion would be to enlarge the salad portion a bit, the panzanella was tasty but tiny. Yum...highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs polishingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/22/2014We waited quite awhile to be greeted, as the host stand was empty;then our server could not find our reservation but said "I'll seat you anyway". Vegetable risotto was tasty, but rice was mushy. I left most of it on my plate. Server never asked if we were happy with our main courses, and offered to wrap up the risotto for me. When I declined, she did not ask if it had been to my liking. Restaurant was a bit noisy due to a wedding reception, but not unbearable.
- This was my fourth visit,LorenzoDined on 2/15/2014This was my fourth visit, and I was disappointed. I had to summon the maître d to find my server. The service was spotty throughout. My tuna was over spiced and the vegetables too tough to chew. The bread presentation was skimpy. Sad to see such a reversal in a previously decent restaurant.
- Would definitely go backCheeseloverDined on 2/15/2014This was my 2nd time dining at Epoch. Both times have been since they changed chefs and from what I understand the change is for the better. I certainly did not have any real complaints. Our server, Scott, was delightful; a real gem. The time between courses was a little slow, but I don't believe it was his fault. I like that you can get many of the salads and meals in half portions. I also like that you can buy a 3 oz or 6 oz glass of wine. Good if you just wanted to try a wine without committing. The first time here I had the winter vegetable risotto, which was really yummy. I would have had it again, but felt I should try something new. My husband and I shared a Delmonico steak for 2 and it was quite good. Yes, I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow service at barFoodprojectDined on 2/14/2014The food was great and I recommend the dining room. However, they have one of the slowest bar tenders I have ever seen. We were asked, after about 5 minutes of sitting dead center of bar, if we had been helped. After saying no, the bar tender turned around and worked on something else. Another couple came and sat next to is and after about 10 minutes got up and left. I would recommend only going for the sit down dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambiancegregoryDined on 2/14/2014If you are in the Exeter, NH area, Epoch is an excellent place to have a nice dinner with good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-end restaurant in ExeterJasInHollisVIPDined on 2/8/2014Our party of 4 enjoyed the entire meal, service and lovely setting. A bit pricey but worth every penny.Special Features:
- Delicious Sunday brunch!helenbDined on 1/26/2014Two of the party had breakfast items: stuffed French toast on Brioche bread with real maple syrup and Crab cakes with poached eggs on English Muffins with home fries and fruit. A third guest had an open-faced turkey sandwich with bacon and mornay sauce. Looked amazing. All food was well-received and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Great chef! Bravo!luv2eatDined on 1/25/2014This was our second experience dining here. This time it was very crowded but the new manager was very accommodating and made our experience very enjoyable. We will definitely dine here again and recommend it to our friends. Thank you so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/19/2014Sunday brunch was very nice. Good food, great coffee, and a very pleasant dining room.Special Features:
- Slow serviceLouisDined on 12/31/2013We have been here several times before, usally it's great, we went on New Year's eve for dinner and seemed to wait a very long time for everything, we were seated at 7:45 and finished dinner at 10:00. We sat for a long time before the waitress took our drink orders, then salad came before the bread or the bottle of wine we ordered, we were nearly done with the salad before we got our wine, which they had to substitute because they ran out of what we ordered. They did remove the desert charge from the menu to appoligize for the long waits. Food was excellent, I ordered the oxtail gnochi and my wife ordered tornados De Beouf, also excellent. I had the dessert collecton which had a nice assortment of deserts all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to ParfoodlvrDined on 11/30/2013Last visit to Epoch was over a year ago - had a wonderful meal back then. Not so this time. Food was average, portions were small and prices high relative to the value received. Service, while competent, was slow. Ambiance is great, but doesn't make up for the aforementioned shortcomings. Too many good restaurants in the area to warrant going back to Epoch.
- Not worth the tripKikiDined on 11/28/2013We went for Thanksgiving Dinner with a reservation for 4:00 PM, and were told before being seated that they ran out of Turkey (on Turkey Day! ! ! !) Need I say more? We ordered a la carte, but were underwhelmed by the inattentive wait staff and slow service. As guests, we should not need to feel like an afterthought.
- Not for Thanksgiving! Usually goodLivLocalDined on 11/28/2013We took our parents out for Thankgsgiving brunch and it was a disaster. They had no turkey - seriously? No cranbury sauce either. They didn't even have the manners to apologize or mention it. When asked, they admitted, they ran out before we were sat. Our table was in a side room that was en masse in a bad way. We would never return for the holiday which is a shame since we will need to do this again. We only recommend for a cozy night at the bar. If this had been my first experience I would not have come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ran out of food at brunchUnhappyDinerDined on 11/28/2013We attended the Thanksgiving brunch. Our res was 4:15, and I was assured they would continue seating guests until 5. But at 4:15 they had already run out of turkey. I got lucky and received one of the last pieces of prime rib. Other guests who arrived at 4:30 didn't even get that. There was plenty of food left on the buffet table. So if you like having salad, potatoes, vegetables and some institutional ham slices on Thanksgiving you're all set. The food quality was at best medium - at $40 I think it was over priced. Advice - skip the buffets at Epoch. I don't know what their menu is like, but after this experience I'm probably not going back to find out.
- Thanksgiving BuffetjphanDined on 11/28/2013One statement: Restaurant ran out of Turkey during Thanksgiving Buffet. Rest of food and bar drinks were just OK........ Probably will not be attending Epoch again as it was very expensive and no where's near what we expected based on their reputation.
- DisappointingHousecallDined on 11/28/20134th visit - 1st time was awesome - was when they 1st opened. 2nd time was buffet - mother's day or easter - very good 3rd time was very good as well 4th time will be last food was ok at best and very surprised at lack of dessert selection service was very bad waiter did not clear empty plates - told us to "flag me down" when plates needed to be cleared had to find him to order milk and coffee coffee was very old, and was only half cup will not be back
- Great PlaceGabe3Dined on 11/28/2013Service was impeccable. Food is excellent and will return soon. Great find in a sleepy little town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what's up in the kitchen?LolaDined on 11/15/2013Everything was perfect except the main dish always seem to take a very long time to arrive at the table. Not the first time.Special Features:
- OverwhelmedJNORRDined on 11/9/2013We frequent Epoch every few months and usually have a good experience so we thought we would try them out for restaurant week. We were disappointed in the quality of the food for sure. I think they took on too much with having a wedding going on, participating in restaurant week and having a large party in a private function room. The cheese plate was very skimpy, beet salad had a very bitter taste and the desserts were not edible and we retuned them to the kitchen (panna cotta looked like a scoop of chocolate pudding plopped on a plate and the flourless chocolate cake tasted like burnt plastic). What a bummer!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went during Portmouth RestaurantRonCDined on 11/9/2013We went during Portmouth Restaurant Week to give it a try. A special menu offered but they are items on the regular menu. Started with PEI mussels - fantastic. The salad however was rather plain. Entree of mushroom ravioli were excellent. Came with fresh peas and cream sauce. The other entree was a brick chicken. I tasted it and chicken was moist. My wife thought it and the accompanying apple stuffing were very good. Dessert was a wild blueberry sorbet that was billed as having a shortcake but was just 2 scoops of the sorbet. Still was very good with the berry flavor very distinct. The other dessert was a chocolate terra cotta. While it is very nice and worth a return visit it probably won't be a frequent place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.