200 Mott St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.epistrophycafe.com/
- Phone: 2129660904x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11.30pm
Daily: Brunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:30pm
Reservations are only for dining
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giorgia Zedda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Sunday Jazz live music
A word from Epistrophy
Located in the fringes of Soho, this bohemian chic bar and restaurant’s rustic sophistication will charm you immediately.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Epistrophy reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- It was alright~OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I expected it to be a bit better than it actually was. The service was okay but I wish the staff was a bit more attentive. On the other hand the food was very good. I got one of the seasonal pasta. It is a nice place to go to with a group of friends to have a dinner and hang out together. Very casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot for casual diningStephDined on 6/26/2014Excellent dinner there yet again! This is one of our go to places for low-key dinners with good and new friends. Charming, great location, yet reasonably priced. We're always very pleased with our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the Epistrophy reviews archive.
- Everything was great exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/15/2014Everything was great except the cash only part for the bill .... not coolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian, great value.msbnyVIPDined on 3/15/2014This is a fantastic little Italian restaurant in Soho. It is a tight, intimate setting but lively, youthful and fun. We had the beet & arugala salad, the special zucchini croquettes and the signature meatballs to start. Then I had the orechiette pasta prepared with pancetta & radicchio in a cream sauce. My husband had the pappardelle w/beef sauce. Everything was delicious and we also enjoyed the wines that we ordered. I would definitely go back to this restaurant and recommend it to friends. Furthermore, the prices are very reasonable for New York City.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurant for theMcGalanDined on 2/15/2014Awesome restaurant for the value! We were 4 and we share a burrata and a bruschetta...great choice! (One of the best burrata ever). We all ask for the lasagna roso... is a mozzarella lasagna, no meat, but is very tasty. I completely recommend this restaurant. 22$ dollars each! 100% italian but no pizza...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gnocchi, will you marry me?carrotheartDined on 2/5/2014So I'd stumbled into this treasure of a spot one evening last spring and have dreamed of the Gnocchi ai Funghi ever since. When the girl I was trying to impress - a foodie - agreed to a birthday dinner I knew exactly where to bring her. The kale and fennel salads were both pretty special, and I can vouch for the Tagliere from the time before, but it was the gnocchi that had us purring and humming in place of speech. A previous reviewer mentioned the Bordeaux '10 -- thank you!! Indeed it was a soft mouthful that complemented each of the dishes like a socialite - bien éléve. We finished the night with basil pine nut ice cream and grappa, and our gracious hosts let us linger even as the place filled up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True GemFoodloverDined on 1/20/2014Food was super yummy,wine delicious and inexpensive and the cozy atmosphere wrapped my whole experience up into a true gem of an evening! ! Make sure you try Polpettine di Vitello , Tuscan kale salad and Burrata.I could eat this every single day there,it's that good! I loved their service as well and oh it's cash only BUT there's an ATM inside the venue that only charges $1.50! Overall,I am super excited to go back …..oh and do try red wine Bordeaux '10 Chateau le Tertre.Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food portions were incrediblyTatsDined on 1/15/2014The food portions were incredibly small and not that great at that. The place is really cute though.Special Features:
- Was recommended by someone in ukSmokingskillsDined on 1/11/2014Came for lunch. Booked online thru opentable. Easy to get a reservation on sat lunchtime. Not overly busy yet food was interesting and hand made - meatballs were great. Worth the special effort we made to get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 friends and I wanted a goodcolieDined on 12/31/20135 friends and I wanted a good Italian dinner before we went out and this place was around the block from us and prices were decent. The ambience was perfect, low lighting great decorations- a very homey feel. Everyone really enjoyed their food but beware the portions are VERY small. The waitress we had seemed like maybe she had a bad day? Definitely could have smiled at least once. Anyway I'd recommend this place for a date or quick group dinner because the 6 of us were in and out in 45 minutes. Fastest dinner I've ever had. I'd go back again though.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, very friendlyluv2eatDined on 12/21/2013Great atmosphere, very friendly service, and delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute and QuaintCaitieVIPDined on 11/14/2013We mostly just had drinks here but I did have the soup, which was very good. The ambiance is great for meeting a date or just having conversation with close friends. The wine list is extensive and the staff is very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodated our large group nicelyMardiVIPDined on 11/13/2013We had a group of 8 in for dinner on a Wednesday night, and they accommodated us very well. They had some very interesting menu items, and my whole group was pleased with their food overall. However, I found some of the choices to be a bit odd: they served their delicious burrata with some sort of cracker-type thing, which was very weird. The bread they had out for the whole table was a MUCH better accompaniment. I also got the papardelle, which tasted great, but there was so little sauce on it that the pasta got very dry very quickly - I actually couldn't finish it because it got too dry. So I applaud them taking on a larger group given their very cozy atmosphere, but they could probably shift their menu a bit to make it work even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticGiselaDined on 11/9/2013Luckily we could acces to the "secret room" perfect for a 6 members grup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place really bad food.FoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2013I have been wanting to go to this place - it has a great casual look and fun vibe. But the chicken I ordered was like four little pieces - a comically small portion on the plate with a pile of bland potatoes. My friend's short ribs also presented very poorly and tasted like cafeteria food. At least the cocktails were good and the server was nice. Better to go to Cantine Parisienne around the corner!
- Great little placeVicnlibbyDined on 10/11/2013Cute decor great food. Good find. Will be back definitely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All-around great ItalianEBake928Dined on 10/9/2013Good quality food. Everything tasted fresh. The dish with radicchio and pancetta was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food; *very* noisy.BartonKeyesVIPDined on 10/5/2013The food here is good--not great, but tasty, basic Italian dishes. And for the edge of SoHo, you can't beat the prices (for fairly small portions, which is fine with me). But the place is extraordinarily noisy, even by crowded local standards: not only are the tables close together, but the management turns the music up high for good measure. Service was competent but unsmiling and a bit rushed. If you want a warm, welcoming atmosphere, go elsewhere. If you're just here for the food and don't mind having to yell to be heard across the table--as many at this hip Mott Street location might not, I'll grant--then this is a good choice.Special Features:
- Good Food.....goto0816VIPDined on 9/29/2013Great food and very tasty but it almost seemed like the staff was asked to be very snobbish - there were only 3 people working for a sunday brunch/lunch and they were very aloof and seemed bothered to do any work. The chic, rustic nature of the place was cute, but lost its charm due to the slow and rude staff.Special Features:
- Cute and hopping, but meh foodthisisirenesDined on 9/13/2013The place: Quaint, rustic-chic, and surprisingly populated (but not crowded). Great for a quick appetizer date or happy-hour hangout without excess crowds and good audibility. Pretty little place. Love the ambiance. The food: MEH. The short ribs were great. But the Brussel sprouts were soggy and frying-pan-cooked, the pasta was unremarkable, and the veal was too much veal and nothing else. The Caprese is three slabs of cheese and tomato -- seriously, guys? The service: Very friendly. No complaints!
- The best truffle gnocchi in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2013I absolutely love Epistrophy for its meat and cheese starter, salmon carpaccio, and truffle gnocchi. One of my favorite date spots in Nolita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Una boccata d'aria frescafgc4ccVIPDined on 8/30/2013How do you say "died and gone to heaven" in Sardo? This has become one of my faves. I can vouch for the authenticity of the food, having just returned from a long holiday in Sardegna. When I'm not quite ready to get back in the swing of things, or when I need to escape back to the sandy beaches and Mediterranean sun, I come here. Eccellente, eccellente, eccellente!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Dinner with FriendsGeorgeDined on 8/8/2013I had two friends come over from Europe to visit. I asked a friend of mine if he knew a cool place to take them. He directed me to Epistrophy... My friends and I loved it. I had the soup of the day and the cutlets both of them were very tasty, perfect portion too. We also had a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon that went well with the dinner and reasonably priced too! Great service, great food, decent wine list... Didn't try deserts but for sure will be back for them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very cute place. ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2013A very cute place. Classic SOHO. Strong coffee (sorry, no refills!) and warm buttery croissants. I also got the fruit, yogurt and granola bowl. The fruit was pretty terrible (mostly cantaloupe rind and pear with the skin on it), but the little things like their tiny coffee spoons and decor make it such a great place. Aside from our grouchy waitress, the people who worked there were very kind and friendly, and generally welcoming.Special Features:
- Great little spot. Food andOshlandDined on 3/31/2013Great little spot. Food and service were excellentSpecial Features:
- A very pleasant place withOlyuEkyuDined on 2/16/2013A very pleasant place with way too-strong cocktails :) the rose was very good in combination with the melon and proshutto that we ordered. The avocado and tuna salads that we had were fine, but I would not describe them as something outstanding. I enjoyed our experience in Epistrophy overall very much. They have a couple of very cute tables outside for the summertime, too.
- great spot for a quick catchupOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013great spot for a quick catchup or just dinner. it gets pretty loud though. service was really mediocre, even though the place is small, maybe its just our waitress and the other guys are good. also we were given a check half way through our last capuccino and its not like we spent two hours there just eating salad, we were hungry so went through dinner plates pretty fast. oh well. the food was great. i had a salad with salmon and artichoke raviolli!Special Features: