1330 S Fern St
Arlington, VA 22202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.epicsmokehouse.com/
- Phone: (571) 319-4001
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Wayne Halleran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We cater private and company events.
A word from Epic Smokehouse
Epic Smokehouse is a modern upscale urban smokehouse, featuring smoke meats and fish with a large specialty cocktail and wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Epic Smokehouse reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (26)great for lunch (14)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (6)special occasion (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)Show More
- good foodDinnerwithdaughterDined on 11/14/2014It was our first time at Epic Smokehouse. We were seated across from the bar and it was a little loud. Our waiter was nice, but seemed disinterested in doing a good job. We ordered the Burnt ends, Kahula Pig roll, French onion soup, spinach salad, and a shrimp dish with fried asparagus. All the food was good, and brought out promotly (except the fried asparagus). My overall opinion is the food and atmosphere are good, the staff was ok, and I will most likely try it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our Go To spotsLCRPDined on 11/12/2014We love the fact that Epic is within close walking distance of our home and serves delicious food. Our waiter let us in on an off-menu secret which may become a main course the next time we visit, definitely a favorite! We tried the special this time, a filet mignon with coffee spaetzle. It was an unexpected combination, and very delicious. Thank you, and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barbeque at EpicNG17CR29Dined on 11/9/2014Great BBQ, otherwise not so much. would recommend avoiding the specialty drinks. Service spottyI would recommend this to a friend.
- You have to try thismomof4vaVIPDined on 11/7/2014Epic grill never disappoints. The food is amazing. If you have not been, you need to go right now!Special Features:
- Great BrisketEpicExperienceDined on 11/1/2014It you are looking for a flavorful tender brisket Epic is definitely a perfect dinning option. The ribs however, were not to my liking. They were not tender and the sauce was ok. I will say that the customer service was excellent. Epic is very customer-centric and work hard at ensuring that you have an exceptional dinning experience. Regarding the dinning area....it is a small location with limited seating, however, the layout makes you feel as if you have enough space to enjoy your meal. Overall, I had a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014This was our first time at Epic Smokehouse (Sat 6:30 reservation). We drove past it once but we didn't feel special because the couple we were meeting did the same thing. We sat in section with the bar and there was a football game on the TV but none of it was so loud as to make conversation difficult. The Duck Breast was perfectly prepared: moist and tender yet not underdone. The Smoked Prime Rib was flavorful and tender. Everyone enjoyed their selection. The service was prompt and our server (John) was friendly and courteous. I would recommend it to a friend.Special Features:
- Chic Dining ExperienceGordonGekkoVIPDined on 10/31/2014It has a modern appeal with a chic look and feel. The food is very good although my dish was a tad bit salty. I'm willing to go back again and try more from the menu. The bar is comfortable and seemed lively. I have no problem recommending others to try it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the better BBQ in DC areaAlInDCDined on 10/29/2014Great place for work lunch/dinner--not too formal, but nice enough to bring your boss. Dinner time was full (tables and at the bar) but not too crowded/loud...perfect. Food was very good especially for BBQ in D.C. area. I will come again.Special Features:
- Decent for Arlingtonjt82Dined on 10/23/2014The reservation was delayed by aBout 15 minutes while the restaurant tried to get the other party out and prep the table. Service time was very long and the server was not very attentive. I understand we were there toward the end of the night but they were out of a lot. The food was ok but they didn't box the left overs but instead threw them out. Overall the price to value was not there.
- Weird Waiterlask001Dined on 10/10/2014The waiter that server'd us was very weird - very abrupt and not very polite. On the flip side, the chef came out and asked if everything okay, as well as the bartender and were very friendly. Overall was a good experience, I'm assuming the waiter was just having an off night. Food was very good.
- good, not greatallyVIPDined on 9/26/2014my boyfriend had been before, ordered the pulled pork, and said it was "solid." he wanted to try the ribs this time. service came from the bar and was okay. drinks were good...we didnt have any wine but the list was solid and the prices were some of the best. started out with the deviled egg special. they were good but could have used more spice with the jalapenos. mesclun was wilted on the plate. had scallop app as my entree, but wasnt a fan of the overloaded kimchi that came on the plate. plus, there were only two scallops?! for an appetizer? the brussels were cooked to perfection. i will say i loved the coleslaw since it wasn't a mayo-ey glomp. but it did need some pepper to take care of the vinegar bite. the ribs were good.Special Features:
- great findirishlassDined on 9/25/2014this restaurant was awesome. There were 5 of us and we all had great meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food so soTraveler14VIPDined on 9/17/2014The apps were great but the main dishes failed on execution. Prime rib was cold when it got to the table, debt it back, then uneatable. Ribs sounded and looked great but were tough, not falling off the bone, more like holding on the bone for dear life. Wait staff made it right but disappointing nonetheless.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special but not a disasterFood4funDined on 9/12/2014I had first been to Epic for lunch recently and the brisket was good and service was very good. Maybe Friday was just an off-night but the brisket was too dry and both the mac and cheese side and brisket were warm but not hot. The brussel sprouts were great. Buffalo fried oysters app was okay but the flavors didn't seem to blend and, again, they were just warm. The tables run along the windows so expect to be so close to your neighbors that they will hear your conversation even they prefer not too. Server was likely having a bad night but when he came to take our order his approach was humorous, but unintentionally so, - "okay go ," nothing else. I'll likely try it again for lunch but no more dinner dates here.
- out of town dinnerCCPWDined on 9/6/2014A little bit of everything centered around a smokehouse. Delicious smoked gouda bacon cheeseburger. Ate at the bar. Great/attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dontmakefoodmakerezVIPDined on 9/4/2014The smoked brisket was very good. My bass tasted fishy so I sent it back. I got the beer chicken to replace it and it was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoky FatBLB2VIPDined on 8/28/2014First time for lunch and very disappointed! Three large slices of brisket per order, only problem was that two were ALL fat, and the one with meat was over 50% fat. The pulled chicken had good flavour but was very dry, like day old. The mac and cheese tasted like it came out of a package. The slaw and fries were good however.
- Great hidden BBQ SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/21/2014Recommended by a friend, went for lunch. Greated right away, excellent service, very tasty watermelon margarita!!!!!!!! I enjoyed the panceta Mac and cheese and the brisket was tender and juicySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun smokehouse this is notDCdiner20024VIPDined on 8/18/2014I booked at table for four this week at Epic Smokehouse because of the good reviews and we were all sorely disappointed. All food was mediocre and the portions tiny. My husband ordered the brisket and out came three slices of tough meat, half of which was fat which he had to cut off. You shouldn't leave a smokehouse hungry! My father-in-law got a small chicken thigh and a scoop of mashed potatoes that he characterized as bland.
- MMMMM MEATNomNomDined on 8/16/2014Meat lovers - this is a yummy, gut busting spot! Lots of great meat choices but just try to take things in moderation or you may end up with a overly-full stomach & a meat coma after like my boyfriend did lol We enjoyed our meal and they had some yummy drinks. We tried it for restaurant week, but would go back again if in another meaty mood :)Special Features:
- Excellent food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Our hostess was excellent and so were the runners, however; our server John was constantly missing and neglected to make eye contact when he walked by. My father visiting from out of town, who payed, commented several times on John's lack of acknowledgment of our table. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprisedfoodiefromthewestDined on 8/16/2014The food was really good. Loved the salmon salad and they know how to prepare the fish and mix the right flavors. My significant other loved the pulled pork sandwich. We had to catch a flight and the chef and wait staff were most accommodating to pack some things to go even though they also had huge parties to serve: 2 groups of 20+ people. We will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014I know that DC always needs more true bbq spots unfortunately this did not meet my expectations. I had the ribs and chicken and the chicken was bland and the ribs were "ok". Felt like my hubby can smoke better ribs, Pecan pie was delish!
- good food/bev, great area BBQloveubbqDined on 8/15/2014Good good and excellent bourbon, beer and mixed drink selection. Great waiter with a nervous new staff member in tow. Nice outdoor seating option but seamlessly accommodated a party of 6 on first day of DC restaurant week summer 2014.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fulfilling eveningBishopDined on 8/13/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friend’s home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The entrees were all plentiful and amazing. The table was split on the corn muffins – one person thought it was great, but another felt that the tastes was so-so. Everyone loved the BBQ sauce. Service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzieDined on 8/12/2014Great food and portion size was plenty!! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ms eats our a lotdiner53Dined on 8/11/2014Service is abysmal. Allow extra time. Parking is difficult. Food however is good. Maybe because you are so hungry. Take out might be the best option.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFoodforDayzDined on 8/1/2014The food was perfect. The chef actually brought our main course to our table which made me feel special. It's a great intimate spot in Arlington and definitely a diamond in the ruff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 218 reviews are from the Epic Smokehouse reviews archive.
- not quite epicunepicDined on 7/25/2014I got the Chipotle sea bass is was ok.. no sides really came with the meal. I wasnt full when I left and my wallet wasnt either food wasnt close the worth to what I paid .. 1 beer 1 margarita fried oysters and sea bass totaled 51 dollars.. personally it wasnt worth thatSpecial Features:
- This time, not so greatpelkeymfVIPDined on 7/24/2014On prior visits, my biggest complaint has been the price of a beer. This time, the whole lunch experience was less than I hoped for. Ribs were fatty and seemed to have had inadequate time in the smoker. Brussel sprouts were overcooked. Sandwiches that should have been hot were not. And the special appetizer was good, but worked out to about $2 for each half a deviled egg on some shredded lettuce. I have rent recommended Epic Smokehouse in the past, but I'm not sure that I can do that anymore.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 7/18/2014My friend and I were seated near the open kitchen. I think the ventilation is not good as our clothes smelled of food when we left the restaurant. I ordered the portobello salad. It was just ok.
- Disappointed this timedininghobbyVIPDined on 7/18/2014in bringing friends to share this neighborhood eatery. Condescending server; food not up to par. Too many choices in NoVa/Metro DC to keep this one on the list.
- Excellent SmokehousetravelingeersDined on 7/12/2014We greatly enjoyed our dinner here. It's within walking distance of Crystal City hotels. Excellent brisket and fabulous bread pudding! Be sure to share the bread pudding 'cause it is a huge serving. Marinated Portibello Napoleon was an excellent platter also. Management came by the table--nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!APSYumDined on 6/27/2014I live in the area and met a friend here for lunch and had a great time. The food was great, the service was outstanding and the owner stopped by to say hello and make sure we were enjoying ourselves. I recommend this place to folks that want good food, a great atmosphere and great service.Special Features:
- Great Food!poac2001Dined on 6/25/2014Menu focused on a smokehouse theme; meats were tasty and Mac & Cheese is a favorite! Their specialty cocktails are a must!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Slightly disppointed that there didn't seem to be anything new on the menu from a year ago. But why mess with what works. The bread pudding is great and the server wisely told us it was made to share, the key lime pie is good if you like it on the VERY tart side, which one of us did but the other didn't.Special Features:
- solidcjgeisslerDined on 6/23/2014Brisket was overcooked. Mac and cheese was INCREDIBLE. Next time I'm ordering the scallops with kimchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but...lkink001Dined on 6/21/2014Great food, but we had to wait for our table. We were compted our drinks though. Excellent whiskey selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brendabrendaVIPDined on 6/21/2014been here before, many times, but not recently. Very disappointed! We sat @ the Food Bar - they used to give you little nibbles, to try. No more! Also, your peering into the kitchen, watching the cooks, @ work, & NOT ONE of them would even look @ you - they constantly avoided making eye contact. The food was good, but the staff seemed like it was a JOB, not a passion. May have to cross this off our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehgregDined on 6/21/2014Never heard of this place, tried it on a whim. Burnt Ends were great, drinks were weak, ribeye was dry, sea bass was bland. It's a shame, it's a beautiful space. Won't be back.