1330 S Fern St
Arlington, VA 22202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.epicsmokehouse.com/
- Phone: 5713194001x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 10:30pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Wayne Halleran
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We cater private and company events.
A word from Epic Smokehouse
Epic Smokehouse is a modern upscale urban smokehouse, featuring smoke meats and fish with a large specialty cocktail and wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Epic Smokehouse reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (20)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (8)great for brunch (7)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- great findirishlassDined on 9/25/2014this restaurant was awesome. There were 5 of us and we all had great meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food so soTraveler14VIPDined on 9/17/2014The apps were great but the main dishes failed on execution. Prime rib was cold when it got to the table, debt it back, then uneatable. Ribs sounded and looked great but were tough, not falling off the bone, more like holding on the bone for dear life. Wait staff made it right but disappointing nonetheless.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special but not a disasterFood4funDined on 9/12/2014I had first been to Epic for lunch recently and the brisket was good and service was very good. Maybe Friday was just an off-night but the brisket was too dry and both the mac and cheese side and brisket were warm but not hot. The brussel sprouts were great. Buffalo fried oysters app was okay but the flavors didn't seem to blend and, again, they were just warm. The tables run along the windows so expect to be so close to your neighbors that they will hear your conversation even they prefer not too. Server was likely having a bad night but when he came to take our order his approach was humorous, but unintentionally so, - "okay go ," nothing else. I'll likely try it again for lunch but no more dinner dates here.
- out of town dinnerCCPWDined on 9/6/2014A little bit of everything centered around a smokehouse. Delicious smoked gouda bacon cheeseburger. Ate at the bar. Great/attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dontmakefoodmakerezVIPDined on 9/4/2014The smoked brisket was very good. My bass tasted fishy so I sent it back. I got the beer chicken to replace it and it was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoky FatBLB2VIPDined on 8/28/2014First time for lunch and very disappointed! Three large slices of brisket per order, only problem was that two were ALL fat, and the one with meat was over 50% fat. The pulled chicken had good flavour but was very dry, like day old. The mac and cheese tasted like it came out of a package. The slaw and fries were good however.
- Great hidden BBQ SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/21/2014Recommended by a friend, went for lunch. Greated right away, excellent service, very tasty watermelon margarita!!!!!!!! I enjoyed the panceta Mac and cheese and the brisket was tender and juicySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun smokehouse this is notDCdiner20024VIPDined on 8/18/2014I booked at table for four this week at Epic Smokehouse because of the good reviews and we were all sorely disappointed. All food was mediocre and the portions tiny. My husband ordered the brisket and out came three slices of tough meat, half of which was fat which he had to cut off. You shouldn't leave a smokehouse hungry! My father-in-law got a small chicken thigh and a scoop of mashed potatoes that he characterized as bland.
- MMMMM MEATNomNomDined on 8/16/2014Meat lovers - this is a yummy, gut busting spot! Lots of great meat choices but just try to take things in moderation or you may end up with a overly-full stomach & a meat coma after like my boyfriend did lol We enjoyed our meal and they had some yummy drinks. We tried it for restaurant week, but would go back again if in another meaty mood :)Special Features:
- Excellent food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Our hostess was excellent and so were the runners, however; our server John was constantly missing and neglected to make eye contact when he walked by. My father visiting from out of town, who payed, commented several times on John's lack of acknowledgment of our table. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprisedfoodiefromthewestDined on 8/16/2014The food was really good. Loved the salmon salad and they know how to prepare the fish and mix the right flavors. My significant other loved the pulled pork sandwich. We had to catch a flight and the chef and wait staff were most accommodating to pack some things to go even though they also had huge parties to serve: 2 groups of 20+ people. We will go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014I know that DC always needs more true bbq spots unfortunately this did not meet my expectations. I had the ribs and chicken and the chicken was bland and the ribs were "ok". Felt like my hubby can smoke better ribs, Pecan pie was delish!
- good food/bev, great area BBQloveubbqDined on 8/15/2014Good good and excellent bourbon, beer and mixed drink selection. Great waiter with a nervous new staff member in tow. Nice outdoor seating option but seamlessly accommodated a party of 6 on first day of DC restaurant week summer 2014.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fulfilling eveningBishopDined on 8/13/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friend’s home. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The entrees were all plentiful and amazing. The table was split on the corn muffins – one person thought it was great, but another felt that the tastes was so-so. Everyone loved the BBQ sauce. Service was well-timed and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzieDined on 8/12/2014Great food and portion size was plenty!! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ms eats our a lotdiner53Dined on 8/11/2014Service is abysmal. Allow extra time. Parking is difficult. Food however is good. Maybe because you are so hungry. Take out might be the best option.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceFoodforDayzDined on 8/1/2014The food was perfect. The chef actually brought our main course to our table which made me feel special. It's a great intimate spot in Arlington and definitely a diamond in the ruff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not quite epicunepicDined on 7/25/2014I got the Chipotle sea bass is was ok.. no sides really came with the meal. I wasnt full when I left and my wallet wasnt either food wasnt close the worth to what I paid .. 1 beer 1 margarita fried oysters and sea bass totaled 51 dollars.. personally it wasnt worth thatSpecial Features:
- This time, not so greatpelkeymfVIPDined on 7/24/2014On prior visits, my biggest complaint has been the price of a beer. This time, the whole lunch experience was less than I hoped for. Ribs were fatty and seemed to have had inadequate time in the smoker. Brussel sprouts were overcooked. Sandwiches that should have been hot were not. And the special appetizer was good, but worked out to about $2 for each half a deviled egg on some shredded lettuce. I have rent recommended Epic Smokehouse in the past, but I'm not sure that I can do that anymore.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 7/18/2014My friend and I were seated near the open kitchen. I think the ventilation is not good as our clothes smelled of food when we left the restaurant. I ordered the portobello salad. It was just ok.
- Disappointed this timedininghobbyDined on 7/18/2014in bringing friends to share this neighborhood eatery. Condescending server; food not up to par. Too many choices in NoVa/Metro DC to keep this one on the list.
- Excellent SmokehousetravelingeersDined on 7/12/2014We greatly enjoyed our dinner here. It's within walking distance of Crystal City hotels. Excellent brisket and fabulous bread pudding! Be sure to share the bread pudding 'cause it is a huge serving. Marinated Portibello Napoleon was an excellent platter also. Management came by the table--nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!APSYumDined on 6/27/2014I live in the area and met a friend here for lunch and had a great time. The food was great, the service was outstanding and the owner stopped by to say hello and make sure we were enjoying ourselves. I recommend this place to folks that want good food, a great atmosphere and great service.Special Features:
- Great Food!poac2001Dined on 6/25/2014Menu focused on a smokehouse theme; meats were tasty and Mac & Cheese is a favorite! Their specialty cocktails are a must!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Slightly disppointed that there didn't seem to be anything new on the menu from a year ago. But why mess with what works. The bread pudding is great and the server wisely told us it was made to share, the key lime pie is good if you like it on the VERY tart side, which one of us did but the other didn't.Special Features:
- solidcjgeisslerDined on 6/23/2014Brisket was overcooked. Mac and cheese was INCREDIBLE. Next time I'm ordering the scallops with kimchi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but...lkink001Dined on 6/21/2014Great food, but we had to wait for our table. We were compted our drinks though. Excellent whiskey selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brendabrendaVIPDined on 6/21/2014been here before, many times, but not recently. Very disappointed! We sat @ the Food Bar - they used to give you little nibbles, to try. No more! Also, your peering into the kitchen, watching the cooks, @ work, & NOT ONE of them would even look @ you - they constantly avoided making eye contact. The food was good, but the staff seemed like it was a JOB, not a passion. May have to cross this off our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehgregDined on 6/21/2014Never heard of this place, tried it on a whim. Burnt Ends were great, drinks were weak, ribeye was dry, sea bass was bland. It's a shame, it's a beautiful space. Won't be back.
- Good Food, Service, and AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/21/2014My partner and I were at Costco and happened upon this place so we thought we would try it out. The host was friendly as was our server. I enjoyed their pulled pork sandwich and my partner had the Teriyaki burger. Both were hot and tasty. Try it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Time ComingblueboybobDined on 6/20/2014I lived in Pentagon City for a year, but just never went to Epic. Since I was moving I decided to finally take the plunge. I was not disappointed. It was very good. My one complaint is that their prime rib could not really be served rare. The server gave me the "rarest piece we have" and I would call it medium. The mac & cheese was great. The burnt ends were also fantastic. The pecan pie had bourbon in it eventhough I asked the waiter and he said "I don't think so". He should have either known or gone to ask the chef.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/15/2014Excellent meat dishes. Loved the horseradish crusted prime rib. Tasty cocktails and yummy desserts.Special Features:
- Nice FindMichaelCVIPDined on 6/15/2014For Father's Day we couldn't decide where to go, and I find Epic by researching Open Table. The food was excellent, much better than I expected for a Crystal City location. We had the Oysters and Bacon App appetizers, and they were excellent, just enough not to overload you for the entree coming next... and great entrees they were. I had the rib eye that was perfectly cooked and accompanied by very flavorful Brussels Sprouts, and my wife had the 12oz smoked prime rib that she swooned over. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday BrunchruntoeatDined on 6/14/2014The cornbread had a nice twist with the cranberry and brown sugar topping. I had a very difficult time choosing what I wanted to eat. I ended up ordering the pulled pork skillet. It came out sizzling and I was so excited to get some Eastern NC BBQ that I dug right in! The service was great, our waiter was very friendly and helped me make the tough decision of what to order.Special Features:
- The following 200 reviews are from the Epic Smokehouse reviews archive.
- Great end to a long road tripSarahJDined on 5/30/2014After a long day's drive, getting cleaned up and enjoying a beautifully prepared steak and memorable crafted drink was exactly what I needed! This is near several hotels so I highly recommend it to my fellow travelers. The dress code is casual though I would recommend at least a polo shirt, you'd stand out in a tee shirt.Special Features:
- Yummy for the Tummybjsm1Dined on 5/25/2014Food was excellent. Baby backs large enough portion to share. Could be a little more tender, but they were tasty. Nice twist on an old favorite: Mac and Cheese. Key Lime pie an absolute must have. Fresh squeezed lemonade to top it off. Service was superior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow. We had a wonderful time.lilPrawnDined on 5/24/2014I've been looking for good BBQ/Ribs and have never really been satisfied in this area. I can stop looking now. Food was fantastic, ribs were HUGE and so meaty, excellent flavor. The service was fantastic, waiter was so helpful and fast. The ambiance was very modern and comfortable. I'll be back at this place, for sure.
- Strangely kid-friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 5/19/2014It was with a great deal of trepidation that we took our 4 year-old son here because it's definitely not what I think of when I think of your average family restaurant. But they handled it great, were super friendly and accomodating and showed terrific service (they even came up with a kid-cup for his lemonade). We loved the food and so did our son--he wolfed down the brussels sprouts and the fried asparagus, and couldn't get enough macaroni & cheese. Those were great, but I was particularly fond of the brisket. Overall, it was a fantastic experience.
- Always Satisfiedl2dinerDined on 5/14/2014We always leave this place very satisfied. I always get either the ribs which is such a large order that I wish they would add a half rack choice or the burnt ends. Although the burnt ends are an appetizer I order a side of awesome brussels sprouts that are sautéed with bacon and raisins. I always intend to try something different but when I sit at the table I always go for the sure thing. They also had Belle Glos Pinot which was reasonable priced and outstanding - one of our favorites. The owners are typically on premise and ensure that everything is working and cooking as it should. It's a must try.Special Features:
- JohnnyhDined on 5/13/2014We went to epic with a large group and the waiter hooked us up. Took care of us with his recommendation for apps and it was awesome...scallops, burnt ends and buffalo oysters. Everyone's entrees were amazing. The guy that got the applewood, bacon smoked ribs won! Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.