112 West Hubbard Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.epicrestaurantchicago.com/
- Phone: 3122224940
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Lounge: Monday - Wednesday 2pm - midnight, Thursday & Friday 2 pm-2 am and Saturday 4 pm-3am, EPIC SKY: Open Seasonally, Monday through Saturday 4 - 12 am, weather permitting. EPIC is closed on Sundays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: DJ's on the first floor lounge Thursday-Saturday 10:00pm until Close
- Special Events: Epic offers 14,000 square feet of event space for both private and semi private events, with food and beverage package options. The grandeur of the 1st floor lounge offers guests a voluminous space with a 40-foot bar. The inviting lounge is an ideal spot to enjoy hors d'oeuvres, with a separate menu. The 1st floor mezzanine overlooking the 1st floor lounge area is ideal for semi-private functions. Epic's main dining room, located on the 2nd floor, is a dramatic space with 23-foot tall floor-to-ceiling windows giving the space an energetic yet intimate city vibe. The 2nd floor mezzanine overlooking the main dining room is ideal for private event functions. The roof deck lounge provides an additional 4,000 square feet of breathtaking views of Chicago's downtown skyline. It's modern design makes it a perfect space for a cocktail reception. For information contact Tenae at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Epic Restaurant
Epic brings three levels of dining excellence to Chicago’s River North neighborhood, offering a modern American menu. An industrial chic décor serves as the dramatic backdrop to signature dishes such as Braised Short Ribs, Seared Duck Breast and an extensive hor d'oeurve menu. An eclectic wine list and extensive cocktail selections, welcome guests to Epic’s first floor lounge; a voluminous space with exposed brick and intimate seating. A dynamic glass and steel staircase winds its way up to the second floor, revealing an elegant dining room. The energy, sights, and sounds of the room continue up to Epic Sky, a rooftop destination showcasing skyline views and an eye-catching crowd. Day or night, Epic Sky provides a sophisticated rooftop experience with the option of luxurious seclusion in one of the private cabanas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Epic Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (71)hot spot (61)romantic (59)vibrant bar scene (57)fit for foodies (55)good for groups (53)scenic view (32)notable wine list (31)late-night find (30)neighborhood gem (28)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fun Hubbard St. findhannahbananaVIPDined on 8/25/2014My experience at Epic was great from the food, to the service, to the ambiance. Our waiter was incredibly friendly and super helpful and suggested a great wine for us. The best part of the meal for me was the oysters. The oysters at Epic are phenomenal and I couldn't get enough. I also ordered the kale and mushroom salad and a side of brussel sprouts. The brussel sprouts were cooked to perfection with bacon bits. But I was a little disappointed with the kale salad which wasn't chopped so I had to awkwardly eat or cut up these huge kale leaves. Otherwise my girlfriend and I had a very good impression. It is on Hubbard, close to all the clubs and bars so it's a great place whether you want dinner beforehand or drink on the open rooftop.Special Features:
- DisappointedRooftopONLYDined on 8/20/2014There is valet but you have to WALK around the corner. The staff was so busy preparing for the owners to come they forgot about us. It took 25 minutes for a crab cake appetizer to come. The food is alright but not for the prices. You can have a better meal at home. The steak was tough and chewy and the salmon was too buttery. The only thing we like was the rooftop.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!BarronC33Dined on 8/15/2014I went here for My Girlfriend's Birthday. The Ambiance was elegant, warm and inviting. The Food was great! I would come back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio dinnerLekeDined on 8/13/2014Nice dinner date with a Groupon; patio choice was a good option. Also enjoyed the new menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not deliverbirthdaygirlDined on 8/9/2014Promised something and did not deliver! I found the Epic Restaurant on the Comedy Bar's website and when I spoke to a representative at the Comedy Bar they said if we show our tickets to the server at Epic we would get a 10-15% discount off our bill. So when I made the reservation I inquired about the discount. After double checking with her manager, Debra from Epic, said that yes it is confirmed that we would get the discount. Well, long story short, Epic did not follow through with any discount. It was quite embarrassing and we were told that they would not honor that discount. That was wrong and just for that I would not spend another dime at that establishment. The food was good but pricey.Special Features:
- Great choice for a birthday dinner!Herron03Dined on 8/8/2014Everything was great from the food and drinks to the ambiance and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but not wowraygunVIPDined on 8/8/2014Visitors to Chicago. First and probably last time at Epic. The evening got off to a bad start with my Martini which was watery and weak. It didn't dawn on me until we were gone that they had most likely assumed that I wanted a dirty martini which I hate. Things improved quite a bit with the raw oysters which tasted like they had just come out of the sea. They were served with four interesting sauces which the server did not bother to idnetify. One was cocktail and the other was the traditional mignonette but I don't know what the others were. The Duck 3 Ways is a commendable and tasty dish but it was on the level of tavern or gastropub food not fine dining. With so many other great restaurants in this area, go somewhere else.Special Features:
- jdoylekwartaVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food was terrible and no one was in the restaurant part. The rooftop had a lot of action but service was not good.
- Surprised...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014This was second visit. And it was nothing like the first. 6:30 on a Friday. Place was 90% empty. Food was ok. Definitely not worth the price. They had a ton of wait staff standing around. And still they were not quick to clear plates. Our server was polite. Bit overall experience was surprisingly below the expectation of the price point.
- A great spot!BirdieVIPDined on 7/28/2014We had a delicious meal, with excellent service. Wait staff was very attentive. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableRmgeorgeDined on 7/28/2014Good food, great service, value, easy to hold a conversation at your table. I'd come back.Special Features:
- Food was GOOD but not GREAT4theLuvOfFoodDined on 7/26/2014The food was pretty good and the prices were normal for the things we ordered. (I had the Rack of Lamb 38) But nothing was great enough to have an after thought about. I've had better well seasoned lamb and this we just good, had some flavor just did't wow me. The service was pretty fast at first but once it started to get busy that changed. Once we were done our plates got cleared from the table and we waited for about 5mins before the manager (I believe) to drop dessert menus at our table. We glanced at them but didn't want any so we put them to the side. We waited about another 5mins until we got our checks. Overall the food is service was good and being that all of our first choices for restaurants were booked this wasn't too bad.Special Features:
- Very goodGratefuldinerDined on 7/25/2014We made our reservation on open table and since it was our anniversary we requested a spot that was a little quiet and a little more private. They told us Happy Anniversary when we first arrived, which was nice but then brought upstairs and sat us at a table for 2 in a long row of 2 top tables. Our waiter looked at the notes and moved us to a booth for 6 and had it all to ourselves. It was very nice. Our waiter and our food were excellent. The roof top is a very young clubby crowd. We were not interested.Special Features:
- Was deliciousHectorPDined on 7/25/2014We went here for our wedding anniversary because it's noted as the top restaurants in chicago and is at a prime location. If you love downtown, you will love this location. The food was good and drinks were custom and delicious. The restaurant knew it was our anniversary and even went as far as making our own menus that they let us keep plus champagne on them. After you finished your meal, you can go up another level to the roof where you can end the night with a nice view and drinks.Special Features:
- Order the duck!jjchicagoVIPDined on 7/25/2014Outstanding duck, good food overall, although potatoes weren't cooked through. We ate an early dinner and the service could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not-so-EpicexpensiveDined on 7/24/2014Although the food was good, it took about 45 min for our appetizer to arrive and then another half hour for our main dishes to show up. I started getting tipsy off their strong drinks because our food took so long to get to us. The service was slow and I believe that had to do with the fact we told them we were using a Groupon that evening. Also, the tables are so close together it's like you're sharing a table with everyone next to you. I would have enjoyed more of a private dining experience - at least with a few feet separating the table next to us. Speaking of, they arrived an hour after us and got their food the same time we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Several of us were in Chicago for an annual training event, and I found this online! Awesome place & service with rooftop bar!!Special Features:
- Amazing Bar on the roofLaCabreraDined on 7/19/2014We had a great drink at the bar, having an Argentinean beer "Quilmes" great memories, then we had a delicious dinner, we recommend lamb and duck are exquisites. Service: great and very friendly. I will be back soon!Special Features:
- Perfect for a special occasion!MarciaMarciaVIPDined on 7/19/2014Everything was perfect. We were there for our 40th anniversary, & were treated like royalty. We had cocktails on the roof, & we were late for our reservation. A beautiful table was waiting for us when we got down to the dining room. Everything was perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodieDined on 7/16/2014For $150 dinner for 2, I was really expecting dinner go be outstanding. Sadly it was not. My sea bass ($39) was overcooked and lacked flavor, my husbands dhort ribs with noodles was ok but for $35 was pricy. The appetizer gnocchi which the waiter highly recommended was bland, and the two sides: broccoli ($9) was average at best (pan seared with onions-nothing special) and the mushroom risotto ($12) was too thick and bland as if overdone and lacked flavor (and I know my risotto). We only had 3 drinks total so $150 for 1 app, 2 small sides and 2 dinner plus tip brought us to $175.
- Good Food / Good PartyTjackDined on 7/12/2014Our experience at Epic was good overall. Aside from the valet no longer accepting cars, things went pretty well. The place is open and pretty, with really good music piping throughout. The food & cocktails were very good. The pork belly and the Buffalo Carpaccio & Arugula were excellent, as was the duck three ways and the hanger steak. The service was a bit slow, however our server was very personable and made great recommendations. Apparently at night the first floor turns into a club. When we left there was a line to the end of the block to get in. I would recommend having a late dinner if you want to club. That way you avoid the line and get a chance to have a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some Shine is OffChicGourmetVIPDined on 7/12/2014Some of the shine is off;the third time was not the charm. Though the food was still very good, some of it was missing'when asked, the server told us that Epic has been making changes. The luscious beet salad had been reduced by at least half if not more (but not the price) and the small portion was 'bulked up' by a couple of kinds of tiny, annoying to eat greens. Bring back the large portion of beets on the rectangular dish!Duck 3 ways was enjoyed, including confit, but could be more generous as well. Tender short ribs on a bed of rice noodles with green beans are still scrumptious, but one of us wanted at least 50% more ribs. We all enjoyed the yummy Banana-Chocolate Stack for dessert;the Sex Panther drink was just ok rather than dreamy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past it's prime?OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/10/2014Ate here for the first time for my husband's birthday. It was a Thursday night and we were there early. The place is huge, and was only about 1/3 full. Waiter was friendly. We started with the tuna appetizer, I had lamb (overcooked, but not worth sending it back) and my husband had the escolar. All of the dishes were good, but nothing outstanding. We did enjoy our meal, but without wine our meal was over $150 - overpriced for the quality. There are much better restaurants to spend that kind of money at.Special Features:
- Overpriced mediocre foodfoodieDined on 7/5/2014Epic is a great place to go, if you only care about ambience. I was a little surprised to see that a simple SIDE of beets risotto was at market price, then when the bill came it was $16! There's no reason that a side of risotto should be at "market price." For 2 people, we spent $150. You can better spend that at other tastier restaurants in the area (eg,Naha, Sunda).
- Don't pass upJRodDined on 7/5/2014Don't pass this place up. Amazing flavor of food. Portions are perfect. Not too small but just enough. When dinner is over you can enjoy the amazing views on the rooftop bar. A win win.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Epic for EpicuriansChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great food, never fails to satisfy. My lamb chops were among the very best. All around food, service ambiance great, and if w/groupon, fantastic value. You will enjoy.Special Features:
- Not HappyFthjDined on 7/5/2014Food was overly priced and definitely not worth visiting, if I didn't have a groupon I would never visit this restaurant. The food it self was over cooked and very salty, and dessert was so so don't waste your money here!Special Features:
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/2/2014Had a great meal with friends and service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food melts in the mouthCMS1Dined on 7/1/2014Great tasting food & service, portions are small. Had swordfish, veggies all so tasty. Wine was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday blastOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/27/2014Had my birthday celebration there and they did an amazing job!! Our waiter, Patrick was incredibly pleasant and patient with our big group. The food and service were wonderful and I felt very special on my bday!! I would go back in heartbeat after that experience.Special Features:
- Good place to start the evening!GMarieDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant is beautiful and the food is good. They have a nice selection of cocktails and it's much more energetic than "Celeste" across the street. Apparently, it turns into a nightclub later, but usually it's just older men with young women. It's a nice place to go for dinner because it isn't overly crowded and the service is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go againwilltravelforfoodDined on 6/21/2014The food was delicious. They ran out of scallops pretty early in the night which was a disappointment but the waiter recommended the Hawaiian escolar which was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ehchilaur08VIPDined on 6/21/2014Place was nice on the inside. The service at the bar, seating in the dining room, and upstairs on the roof was horrible. Would never come back, your money is better spent for a nice dinner out at another River North location.
- Good but PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2014The food and service were very good but nothing stood out compared to other restaurants in the areaSpecial Features:
- Decent, but overpricedGoodTipsForGoodServiceVIPDined on 6/18/2014We ate at Epic the other day. Our server was pretty good, but the prices were a bit steep for the overall value received. My tuna was supposed to be cooked medium rare (according to the server). But when it came, it was way overcooked. Our server said that the kitchen had been overcooking the tuna for the past few days. Really?!? They've been overcooking (and I assume throwing out) pieces of tuna for a few days?!? You might want to get a new kitchen staff. You could probably lower your prices, and provide a better overall experience if the food was cooked properly. Although in defense of the kitchen, it might be easier to cook it properly if the tuna was a steak, rather than a triangle.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/17/2014Food was delicious and the attendance by the staff impeccable. Flavors of the various entree's burst off the plate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst dining experience evermagicalremiDined on 6/14/2014This visit was my first and last visit of Epic. We went there for a celebration dinner and chose it because of its menu. I had made reservations for 8:45pm. We promptly ordered as we set down by 9:00pm and after that we had NO word from our server. We had to ask two separate servers in the restaurant to find him because our food didn't come for an hour. We had to ask for the manager and the waiter finally came. There was absolutely no apology nor did he explain why we were forgotten. When we did get our food, two of the items which we requested as "medium" were overcooked. I had never had such an unpleasant time and have never waited OVER an hour to get our food. DO NOT go to this place it will ruin your night.
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/13/2014Absolutely the worst service. We ended up ordering from whoever walked by because our waiter never came to check on us, and we even complained to the manager and nothing was done
- A dining experience!Debs16VIPDined on 6/12/2014I was here for dinner on June 12th with some work colleagues. First I'll note that we truly enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant and the view from the floor to ceiling windows on the 2nd floor. Our waiter was knowledgeable and had a very friendly disposition. The wine he helped us choose was a lovely Malbec from Argentina, can't remember the name but it was fantastic. As for food, I would not recommend the bone marrow - it was fatty and almost gristly rather than smooth and spreadable as it should have been. That is my only negative comment. The oysters and ahi tuna appetizers were amazing as was the hanger steak entree. We were all pleased with our entree choices. It's a little on the pricey side but worth it!Special Features:
- Epic Restaurant was just thatFatherof5Dined on 6/10/2014We happened upon Epic after finding a Groupon just a week before visiting Chicago. The restaurant space is much larger than expected; we were greeted right away and had a few drinks before our table was ready. Make a reservation! Once we were seated it only got better from there, our server was knowledgeable of the special, she provided excellent service without being too noticeable or intrusive of our evening. The food is some of the best we've ever had the pleasure of enjoying; I'd recommend the Hanger Steak and the Lamb... Sit back and enjoy this Epic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.